• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIFIMAN HE1000se Planar Magnetic Headphone + Hapa Audio KnØt Full Size Cable

nutingi

For my HE1000se I changed pads to Dekoni Audio Elite Velour for comfort/durability reasons but found them to improve sound alot also. Pretty much solves the brightness/weirdness for me and sounds much more natural. Much better fit for these headphones imo.
Was expecting compromise in sound but havent found any. There may be less quantity of bass sometimes, though more linear/neutral i think.

It's a niche hobby, no different than car guys who spend obsene amounts on car parts. Everyone has their "thing"

yeah that's why reviews are good, now you know to avoid it if you are ever in the high end market. as far as I am aware STAX electrostatic headphones are still considered end game headphones for the rich. about 5 grand for the whole setup though.
Yes, Stax is IMO the highest grade you can reach with headphones. Waiting for their latest thing soon. Next step are speakers where things can go batshit crazy.

I belive I saw somewhere a video of how Stax' latest diaphragm was supposedly made, and I remembered that @VSG was curious about that in his review. I'll post a link if I find it.

For my HE1000se I changed pads to Dekoni Audio Elite Velour for comfort/durability reasons but found them to improve sound alot also. Pretty much solves the brightness/weirdness for me and sounds much more natural. Much better fit for these headphones imo.
Was expecting compromise in sound but havent found any. There may be less quantity of bass sometimes, though more linear/neutral i think.
Aren't those dampening the bass region too much?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, I've had good experiences with Dekoni pads before and actually have their entire Elite pad set here for the Susvara too. If they actually solve the issues then those are an absolute must-have with the HE1000se.

Edit: Welcome to TPU!

Yes, Stax is IMO the highest grade you can reach with headphones. Waiting for their latest thing soon. Next step are speakers where things can go batshit crazy.
There are also ribbon driver headphones (RAAL especially) which can be a sidegrade/upgrade to e-stats depending on who you ask.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Thanks for sharing, I've had good experiences with Dekoni pads before and actually have their entire Elite pad set here for the Susvara too. I

Over on Head-Fi, I was part of the review group who to try Dekoni Blue headphones before anyone else. They are a good company and were very kind to me when I reached out to them.

There are also ribbon driver headphones (RAAL especially) which can be a sidegrade/upgrade to e-stats depending on who you ask.
Not my cuppa, those.

Over on Head-Fi, I was part of the review group who to try Dekoni Blue headphones before anyone else. They are a good company and were very kind to me when I reached out to them.
Lucky! Legit jel here!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Lucky! Legit jel here!

I haven't done the headphone hobby in about three years now. I was addicted to it for awhile, but it was just too expensive a hobby lol

I learned a lot though and had a lot of fun along the way.

also when the HD58X came out I was so impressed, I could retire with them. and I am still retired with them. really love mine.

As much as I'm thankful for thorough reviews of tech products and sound equipment, I cant help but wonder which audience @ TPU these headphone reviews cater to?

When the mass populous of these forums are complaining about GPU/CPU/RAM/SSD pricing being at an all-time high, threres not really many people caring for $3.5K headphones; let alone $1.5k (!!!) cables...... maybe on a dedicated audiophile forum where people burn money as if its air in order to argue about subtle nuances proclaimed to exist?

Wheres the reviews of the $30-$100 headphones that most normal mortals (read: forum visitors) will purchase?
I like this stuff! And VSG does cover the lower end range as well.

Let's also be honest about the cost of this stuff and why people complain. People have motherboards that are close to or over a grand, then there are people using PRO level SSDs with read speeds that won't matter for non specific work loads, or the silly liquid cooling, the price of GPUs, DOMINATOR memory. Most of that stuff is silly to use for most people as well. You don't need it, but people have product jealously. Nobody goes out to ready out 1080p 60hz low FPS gaming.

None of this is justifiable unless you actually enjoy it, and that's what counts!
Not that I justify it but these guys have their crowd, sort of just like Apple with their iPhones.
They make iPhones for mere mortals as well but everyone only cares about the Pro model. People care about the halo products.
So it's official, Crinacle is a Hifiman shill! :roll:
He's always liked them. To be fair they are really good bang for the buck but they have QC issues on some models.

Wait for moondrops electro static and planars and then see what he says! You'll hear the oh face sound from orbit probably.

Thanks for sharing, I've had good experiences with Dekoni pads before and actually have their entire Elite pad set here for the Susvara too. If they actually solve the issues then those are an absolute must-have with the HE1000se.

Edit: Welcome to TPU!

AMT headphones!

Anyways I'm going for the drop + etymotics as my next set of phones and picked up a moondrop MIS-TIP foams set along with their moondriver DAC/amp and should try these out.

I haven't done the headphone hobby in about three years now. I was addicted to it for awhile, but it was just too expensive a hobby lol

I learned a lot though and had a lot of fun along the way.

also when the HD58X came out I was so impressed, I could retire with them. and I am still retired with them. really love mine.

I've had a LOT of gear over the years but then I got engaged and had to scale back my "man space" area and split the office room. I've had some stupid high sets but for me the ER-4, Blessing 2, and Shure 215 are the IEMs I've kept, though I've bought and sold a lot. Over the ears is still 800s, HD 280, Sony MDR. All of this along with a much narrower DAC and AMP selection sits on a shelf on the wall now. The days where I had dozens of various things are long gone. So are the days of the towers and surround systems I used to have as we moved to a nicer area where people freak out when go balls out with that stuff and the walls shake.

It's a fun hobby and with the community you can trade stuff around or sell it back off easy enough it's not really "spending" after a point it's largely recycling.

For me though the ER-4, HD 280, and MDR are all for doing actual audio stuff as I still hobby in EDM and also help master and clean up the little ladys stuff. 215 is just so cheap and easy to replace parts on it's the perfect thing for biking or the gym. The B2 and the 800s get into the mid range of price for what they are but really just spank the other products there. There was a pair of focals I really wanted to keep but I just didn't use them enough.

Last edited:

nutingi

Aren't those dampening the bass region too much?
If they do its not obvious to me or not affecting in a bad way. I was expecting them to. Maybe more volum balances out the bass because of less brightness and fatiguing sound. Not sure. Electronic and bassy music sounds perfectly fine to me. The subbass on Massive Attack - Angel is impressive. Went i first got them i actually felt that it had more bass than stock, but think it is reducing after settling in pads and maybe difference in seal. I do have a slight eq still, but much less than before.

Last edited:

Hablmet

Wait for moondrops electro static and planars and then see what he says! You'll hear the oh face sound from orbit probably.
While I'm kinda hopeful about Moondrop's headphone foray (sorry for the horrendously late response, but I was browsing about the HE1000se), and the recent Stellaris release doesn't instill hope with me that they can handle a planar right. To be fair, the Stellaris also seems kinda rushed.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
While I'm kinda hopeful about Moondrop's headphone foray (sorry for the horrendously late response, but I was browsing about the HE1000se), and the recent Stellaris release doesn't instill hope with me that they can handle a planar right. To be fair, the Stellaris also seems kinda rushed.
Stellaris is not worth the money haha.

Hablmet

Most planar IEMs have bombed hard.
I suppose it depends - from what I hear the Zetian Wu is quite decent, the Hook-X was nice but went through stealth revisions so I'm not comfortable giving it a pass, the Timeless was kinda the original trailblazer and then..yeah, honestly a lot of them are polarizing at least in terms of frequency response if you're looking for a safe treble.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I suppose it depends - from what I hear the Zetian Wu is quite decent, the Hook-X was nice but went through stealth revisions so I'm not comfortable giving it a pass, the Timeless was kinda the original trailblazer and then..yeah, honestly a lot of them are polarizing at least in terms of frequency response if you're looking for a safe treble.
TangZu Audio Zetian Wu on the upcoming 11/11 sale would be my recommendation for a planar IEM. Maybe also the LETSHUOER S12 Pro.

The situation feels like square peg round hole. I prefer IEM for most things but really you need balanced for it to work. People have faffed about with electro static and planars on them and it either just does not work or you end up with Moondrops situation where their BA + DD beats ES and PM configurations. For over the ear open backs with a ton of amp tossed at it this changes entirely though.

The situation feels like square peg round hole. I prefer IEM for most things but really you need balanced for it to work. People have faffed about with electro static and planars on them and it either just does not work or you end up with Moondrops situation where their BA + DD beats ES and PM configurations. For over the ear open backs with a ton of amp tossed at it this changes entirely though.
IEM, ugh! At this point why don't they hook something to our nerves? You'd need something really decent for IEM not to hiss, plus all the awful sensation of something so up your ear!

And how dare you compare IEM soundstage to electrostats? Now this is personal. :)

Hablmet

And how dare you compare IEM soundstage to electrostats? Now this is personal. :)
Speaking of electrostats I'd love to take a look at the Shure KSE1200 or the Stax electrostat IEM. Both of those sound wild enough to me that I really, really wanna try those out.
Maybe in half a decade when I'm sitting comfy with all these millions from my English degree... *sounds of howling laughter*

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
IEM, ugh! At this point why don't they hook something to our nerves? You'd need something really decent for IEM not to hiss, plus all the awful sensation of something so up your ear!

He's talking about EST drivers in IEMs, not EST headphones. So it's still an IEMs to IEMs comparison.

He's talking about EST drivers in IEMs, not EST headphones. So it's still an IEMs to IEMs comparison.
I haz the dumb...

Maybe in half a decade when I'm sitting comfy with all these millions from my English degree... *sounds of howling laughter*
In spite of my many diplomas and fancy academia titles, what made me uhm, financially capable, was something far more trivial (and arguably sinister). So, hang in there, chief. YMMV.

What about bone conductinig sound?

What about bone conductinig sound?
What about it? Properly done over-ear, open-back with tuned bass can hardly be matched by in-ear hissers.

Here is a quick test that anyone can do - sit on some hard chair with bare feet flat on the ground. Now try some bassy track with both IEM and over-ears, and then tell me with which pair you can feel the bass kicks in your butt and feet. Often bass even extends to desks and other furniture.

What about it? Properly done over-ear, open-back with tuned bass can hardly be matched by in-ear hissers.

Here is a quick test that anyone can do - sit on some hard chair with bare feet flat on the ground. Now try some bassy track with both IEM and over-ears, and then tell me with which pair you can feel the bass kicks in your butt and feet. Often bass even extends to desks and other furniture.

I've got opened back, my current gem is Dan Clark Ether 2. But I can't use those at work or on the train. Looking at the Dan Clark Expanse but not high up on list of things to spend money on.

Last edited:
I've got opened back, my current gem is Dan Clark Ether 2. But I can't use those at work or on the train. Looking at the Dan Clark Expanse but not high up on list of things to spend money on.
Ugh, commute and workplace... I can imagine your pain. :cool:

Due to unfortunate turn of events I had to fly coach recently and I must tell you - if anyone decided the armrest is theirs, I'd whipped my 8XX or the Amirons I carry with me for short travels and I'd given them hell. Doom soundrack comes in mind just out of spite.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Man I wish Dan Clark Audio replied to my email again after asking me which unit I'd like to review and then nothing since. I am quite curious about their stuff but so far no luck.

Hablmet

In spite of my many diplomas and fancy academia titles, what made me uhm, financially capable, was something far more trivial (and arguably sinister). So, hang in there, chief. YMMV.
Late (curse you academia) but man, that gives me an inkling of hope. :roll: