• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rtx 2080 ti repasting/thermal pads replacement

System Name Core p90
Processor I7 9700k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
Cooling Ek supremacy evo cpu block/nexxxos ut60 rad 480mm/D5 vario pump 310mm reservoir combo.
Memory Trident gskill 16gb 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Founders edition rtx 3080 10gb
Storage M.2 Intel 660p 1024gb, 4tb 7200 rpm black Western Digital hdd
Display(s) Acer x34 predator 3440x1440p 120hz g-sync ultrawide 21:9 monitor
Case Thermaltake Core P90 tempered glass edition
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Thermaltake smart m1200w
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 64bit
Greetings fellow TPU members. I recently replaced my thermal paste and thermal pads on my rtx 2080 ti zotac gaming amp 11gb

But I've had bad results. The core sits at 50-62c max depending on the game/oc settings which is fine but the hot spot and the vram temp always are equal and sit around 90-97c if I leave the card at 100% power target without any overclock (although these numbers are for elden ring which seems to tax my vram much more than another game I've been playing: cod warzone...)

So yeah about 88c warzone and up to 95-97c on elden ring... Here are some pictures of my new tear down as I get ready to redo the whole thing again.

From looking at the card I notice that maybe I didn't apply the thermal paste perfectly because it looks like the paste moved away from the die a bit and it looks like maybe I put a little too much km more sure. What do you think?

I noticed a little bulge too along the card pcb. I suspect that section might have thermal pads that are too thick... I did do as much research as I could even bought a tool to measure the original thermal pads. And from my research this specific card apparently uses 2.0mm pads and 1.5mm pads... But I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't tweak this a little because contact doesn't seem to be good.

Ill post a bunch of pictures in here so you can see my tear down and I'll post too as I progress repasting and applying the thermal pads. Hopefully this time the contact will be better

20221101_112719.jpg

20221101_112516.jpg

20221101_102825.jpg

20221101_102950.jpg

UPDATE 1:
gpu die and copper plate cleaned
20221101_115716.jpg

20221101_120149.jpg

UPDATE 3

I can see now that one row here has its thermal pad slightly off and doesn't cover the whole area like it should. I'll fix that

20221101_120634.jpg
20221101_120715.jpg
20221101_120722.jpg

Another odd thing u noticed there's no thermal pad that make contact with the back of the card and the back plate. I'm used to seeing some there but this card didn't have any. I don't intend to add any for now but I wonder if it would help. My previous card (1080ti) had em

1667324865730.png

FINALLY !!
all fixed

Well just in case SOMEBODY with a ZOTAC rtx 2080 ti GAMING AMP 11gb ends up looking at this post in the future, some important Takeaways:

1) The way the card is built, there's a CRUCIAL step: When you are about ready to put the PCB and heatsink back together, there's a cable that connects to the gpu (probably some fan header or rgb controller) that's rather SHORT, it's very important to connect this WHILST holding the two sections of the graphics card, vertically, that will give you enough room to manipulate the card without improper contact.
2) it seems as though graphics card tend to PUNISH much more a BAD heatsink/die contact than it does improper thermal pad sizes... I advise applying the thermal paste really carefully and making sure you reassemble slowly
3) I added some thermal pads to the back of the PCB that touches the backplate for added cooling performance, I doubt it makes a big difference but maybe it shaves off a few degrees, couldnt tell
4) The PCB and the back plate are assembled with a thin bracket, once the thermal pads are put in place, you can safely reattach all of those, BEFORE joining the pcb with the heatsink, in facts it makes your life much easier, because the backplate and the pcb are fixed together properly and the thermal pads have less chances of moving sideways that way.

Last edited:

Rajserp

Greetings fellow TPU members. I recently replaced my thermal paste and thermal pads on my rtx 2080 ti zotac gaming amp 11gb

But I've had bad results. The core sits at 50-62c max depending on the game/oc settings which is fine but the hot spot and the vram temp always are equal and sit around 90-97c if I leave the card at 100% power target without any overclock (although these numbers are for elden ring which seems to tax my vram much more than another game I've been playing: cod warzone...)

So yeah about 88c warzone and up to 95-97c on elden ring... Here are some pictures of my new tear down as I get ready to redo the whole thing again.

From looking at the card I notice that maybe I didn't apply the thermal paste perfectly because it looks like the paste moved away from the die a bit and it looks like maybe I put a little too much km more sure. What do you think?

I noticed a little bulge too along the card pcb. I suspect that section might have thermal pads that are too thick... I did do as much research as I could even bought a tool to measure the original thermal pads. And from my research this specific card apparently uses 2.0mm pads and 1.5mm pads... But I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't tweak this a little because contact doesn't seem to be good.

Ill post a bunch of pictures in here so you can see my tear down and I'll post too as I progress repasting and applying the thermal pads. Hopefully this time the contact will be better

View attachment 268129

View attachment 268130
View attachment 268131
View attachment 268133

UPDATE 1:
gpu die and copper plate cleaned
View attachment 268140
View attachment 268141

UPDATE 3

I can see now that one row here has its thermal pad slightly off and doesn't cover the whole area like it should. I'll fix that

View attachment 268144View attachment 268145View attachment 268146

Another odd thing u noticed there's no thermal pad that make contact with the back of the card and the back plate. I'm used to seeing some there but this card didn't have any. I don't intend to add any for now but I wonder if it would help. My previous card (1080ti) had em

View attachment 268156
FINALLY !!
all fixed

Well just in case SOMEBODY with a ZOTAC rtx 2080 ti GAMING AMP 11gb ends up looking at this post in the future, some important Takeaways:

1) The way the card is built, there's a CRUCIAL step: When you are about ready to put the PCB and heatsink back together, there's a cable that connects to the gpu (probably some fan header or rgb controller) that's rather SHORT, it's very important to connect this WHILST holding the two sections of the graphics card, vertically, that will give you enough room to manipulate the card without improper contact.
2) it seems as though graphics card tend to PUNISH much more a BAD heatsink/die contact than it does improper thermal pad sizes... I advise applying the thermal paste really carefully and making sure you reassemble slowly
3) I added some thermal pads to the back of the PCB that touches the backplate for added cooling performance, I doubt it makes a big difference but maybe it shaves off a few degrees, couldnt tell
4) The PCB and the back plate are assembled with a thin bracket, once the thermal pads are put in place, you can safely reattach all of those, BEFORE joining the pcb with the heatsink, in facts it makes your life much easier, because the backplate and the pcb are fixed together properly and the thermal pads have less chances of moving sideways tha

Hi @Carsomyr

This heatsink looks very similar to the one on my inno3d x3 2080ti (just with a different fan set bolted on top). Are you able to let me know if you ended up only using 1mm and 1.5mm pads here?
Do you have L x W dimentions you used also? Or did you just cut a larger sheet?

I would like to have pads on hand when I pull mine apart. I'm concerned due to age the original pads will be damaged and unable to be reused or the cause of my issue. Inno3d did not let me known the size required when I asked on the support site.

I'm chasing down a 106deg hot spot with 4000rpm fan speeds.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Yours still looks better than my AMP Extreme back then
zotac 2080 ti amp extreme horsecum.jpg