• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cougar Forza 85

ARF

I should have said "one's expectations", as I wasn't referring to you, ARF, specifically.

You're making the common mistake of considering people like us that assemble our own PCs as users. I mean, we are in the sense that we use our systems when built, but the more important role when talking coolers is that of builder. As system designers, its our responsibility to spec a cooling system that will allow the CPU to operate within our desired parameters. The thermal load is known. Cooler capacities are known. The choice of cooling solution must be made within those bounds. I don't see how quality, standards, laws and requirements would help here. Are you implying that there is, or should be, statute that either enforces existence of air cooling solutions that can cool all MSDT processors in all configurations of consumer hardware, or that CPU thermal output be limited to what commercially available air coolers can handle?

No, I mean that the CPU manufacturer has to insure that under the warranty conditions (EU law specifies 2-year-old obligatory minimum for warranty period), the CPU will behave normally and will give the performance that it is specified to give - no throttling and other unwanted side effects of not optimal cooling. This of course means that the CPU manufacturer should analyse the available cooling solutions and carefully adjust its CPUs to be able to work with what's available on the market.

Yes, most people buy already assembled systems, so the responsibility is on the systems builders' shoulders.

The coolers should have labels to what tier they belong:

Small coolers up to 35 W for Celeron/Athlon
Mid coolers up to 95 W for Core i5/Ryzen 5
High-end coolers up to 200 W for Ryzen 9/Core i9
Overclocking coolers up to 500 W for enthusiast, etc.

Processor i9 9900k
Video Card(s) RTX 3080
No, I mean that the CPU manufacturer has to insure that under the warranty conditions (EU law specifies 2-year-old obligatory minimum for warranty period), the CPU will behave normally and will give the performance that it is specified to give - no throttling and other unwanted side effects of not optimal cooling. This of course means that the CPU manufacturer should analyse the available cooling solutions and carefully adjust its CPUs to be able to work with what's available on the market.

Yes, most people buy already assembled systems, so the responsibility is on the systems builders' shoulders.

The coolers should have labels to what tier they belong:

Small coolers up to 35 W for Celeron/Athlon
Mid coolers up to 95 W for Core i5/Ryzen 5
High-end coolers up to 200 W for Ryzen 9/Core i9
Overclocking coolers up to 500 W for enthusiast, etc.
Processor's have TDP (Thermal desing powe) so does coolers.

Biggest limitation for any cooler on cpu is TIM (Thermal interface material) and IHS (Integrated heat spreader) which makes heat to travel much longer distance than if you slap cooler directly on the cpu die, like gpu. Thats why +500w gpu's run so cool even whit air coolers.

yVSrUGpYTxjrKcA954VBJG-970-80.png