• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell 6800 XT BIOS - black screen after driver update, card issue not OS/PC

boilertimmay

I have a Dell OEM RX6800XT that went bad after doing an AMD driver update. I can remote into the PC and use it but the display doesnt work and there is a code 43 on the device. Dell has put out a new version of the bios, but their exe won't run or it just crashes on multiple PCs. I just need the bios file itself. Can anyone get this file? Bios version 020.001.000.071.082032. This can be searched on Dell's website as well. I will try posting the link to the utility. I am hopeful a new bios can help, but the card was acting weird, I could use the display intermittently, and then the pc would bog down and come to a halt. I didn't do anything but install updated AMD drivers and it just black screened after that. I can remote, or put it in another pc with another AMD card. I even swapped the exact card with the exact same pc and all issues follow the card. Open to any suggestions. I tried to re-flash the existing bios but the utility just says that version is already flashed and stops. Thanks for the help.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
Did you try Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) before installing a new driver?

Is the graphics card part of a Dell prebuild system? If yes, then my suggestion is to claim warranty instead of flashing the graphics card.

There is an unverified bios for a Dell RX 6800 XT in the VGA Bios Collection (try at own risk):

boilertimmay

Did you try Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) before installing a new driver?

Is the graphics card part of a Dell prebuild system? If yes, then my suggestion is to claim warranty instead of flashing the graphics card.

There is an unverified bios for a Dell RX 6800 XT in the VGA Bios Collection (try at own risk):
Thanks for the feedback. I have used ddu. No warranty left on the system. I have two identical systems and the problem follows the card. I did get the latest bios to flash today via the dell tool, which is an update to my post. It didn’t change anything. I opened the card, the chip isn’t physically cracked, but since I have come this far I am going to try to reflow it with a heat gun. It’s probably a 1/10 but I don’t have any other options I don’t think. Open to suggestions.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Thanks for the feedback. I have used ddu. No warranty left on the system. I have two identical systems and the problem follows the card. I did get the latest bios to flash today via the dell tool, which is an update to my post. It didn’t change anything. I opened the card, the chip isn’t physically cracked, but since I have come this far I am going to try to reflow it with a heat gun. It’s probably a 1/10 but I don’t have any other options I don’t think. Open to suggestions.
About the physically cracked chip. A miner sold his cards. It was so far as I know only reference cards. The buyers didn't had any invoice or warranty on their cards:

Doing a reflow is bad idea. Best thing you can do is sent it to a hardware repair shop.
Maybe the VRM of the card died and can not longer the power that is something you can't fix with a heat gun.

boilertimmay

About the physically cracked chip. A miner sold his cards. It was so far as I know only reference cards. The buyers didn't had any invoice or warranty on their cards:

Doing a reflow is bad idea. Best thing you can do is sent it to a hardware repair shop.
Maybe the VRM of the card died and can not longer the power that is something you can't fix with a heat gun.
Thanks. I will look for a repair shop. I can get it to display in safe mode, and it displays on boot, but has error 43 when get to windows by using onboard graphics or another ati gpu.
I have an identical machine that I can swap the 6800xt cards and the problem 100% follows the card. Thoughts on this being the VRM? It went bad when I did a driver load and put it back to auto-overclock.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Thanks. I will look for a repair shop. I can get it to display in safe mode, and it displays on boot, but has error 43 when get to windows by using onboard graphics or another ati gpu.
I have an identical machine that I can swap the 6800xt cards and the problem 100% follows the card. Thoughts on this being the VRM? It went bad when I did a driver load and put it back to auto-overclock.
Graphics cards can have a fauly VRM component. A coincidence that it is caused by installing the driver.
Very likly the graphics cards switched to 3D mode when you selected auto-overclock and then the VRM died.
This could also have happen while playing a game.

In which region/country do you live?

boilertimmay

Graphics cards can have a fauly VRM component. A coincidence that it is caused by installing the driver.
Very likly the graphics cards switched to 3D mode when you selected auto-overclock and then the VRM died.
This could also have happen while playing a game.

In which region/country do you live?
USA. Indiana. Is it worth it to have it diagnosed and VRM repaired? What’s the approximate cost of that was the issue?

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62