• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qualcomm Allegedly Preparing a Rival to Apple M SoC, Codenamed Hamoa

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I just wanted to make the pun on "Snapdragon", in reality I don't want anything with an Arm CPU in it. If I can't run Visual Studio on it (and VS for Mac doesn't count, nor does VS Code) then I'm not interested.
So basically you have nothing against ARM, besides personal dislike. VS is C# and C++, both of which compile for ARM just fine. If ARM CPUs start making headroom in laptops or desktops, I'm sure MS will make VS available for that, too.

Vertical monopolies are amazing arn't they?

Without apple's software support the M1 would suck hard. We saw it with non M1 optimized apps when it launched, anything apple didnt tweak performed very poorly. Which no duh, you can hyper optimize anything for a specific chip/arch and get better performance, see also how game consoles worked for over 20 years. Any PC based chip is going to be handicapped by needing to support a wide band of software, on a wide band of systems, with multiple manufacturers and an OS that was built around x86.

This is the benefit of x86, it is a very flexible arch, and the cthulu - tier labyrinth of instructions can support a lot of varied operations to overcome the lack of vertical integration in the PC space. ARM, not so much.
Apple's advantage has always been the software and hardware integration. Thus, the great success with the M1 chip. Even for unoptimized apps, emulation via Rosetta still delivers very good performance, considering the SOC are just sipping power, as compared to power hungry x86 chips.

So while I am interested to see what Qualcomm can deliver to compete with Apple's M class SOCs, I am not hopeful that they will perform well simply because Microsoft is going to be the bottleneck.

Even if they make a SoC as good or even better than what Apple will have at that time, Microsoft has A LOT of work to do regarding OS efficiency and software optimization to take advantage of it.
For Apple it was fairly easy, since they control both hardware and software, but the fragmentation of how Windows runs is incredibly hard to manage/improve.
edit: Not saying it's impossible, but I'd be fairly surprised if they manage to offer a proper ARM version of Windows machines. I'd love to have an ARM Windows laptop on which I could do development without issues and with a long battery life, like them M1/M2 MacBooks.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 4x Kingston HyperX 16G 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 4800
Case Inwin 909
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 P2
Mouse Razer Lancehead Wireless
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 TKL
Software Debian Linux / Win11
The main pain point with these laptops is they are locked. I don't want to use Windows all the time (dualboot with Linux) and the requirement to use Microsoft Store is riddiculous. I rather buy x86 with proper BIOS and ability to run whatever I want.

And to do what exactly ? Run Windows or android tablet on ARM ?

Apple succeed first and foremost because of their OS and APIs, the Unix kernels supported ARM since forever and it was easy for most pro apps to migrate to M1 (nodejs, java, visual studio code, docker etc.) and for those who did not/could not, Rosetta stone 2 is an amazing API tbh, have 0 issues on my professional macbook, I waited until the 14" released for the softwares to catch up and frankly never looked back. For productivity a macbook M1/M2 is really a solid choice.

Snapdragon Hamoa may be an interesting ARM SoC, it will be severely restricted by the OS layer
Microsoft is working on windows ARM version. As you know Microsoft created hardware ARM developer platform called Volterra.
It hopes more developer will test and create optimized software for ARM ....

There are also some dedicated android handheld devices for games like Razer Edge
And yes maybe Samsung will use this in tablets on Android ..

Not everybody have to use Apple products :)
Specially when Apple will cost you ridiculous prices for RAM/Storage upgrade

Last edited:
System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
sadly EVERYONE has to use Apple products :(:laugh:
Care to elaborate? I don't own a single thing from that company, with the exception of the Shazam app, which isn't Apple, but is owned by Apple Music.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Care to elaborate? I don't own a single thing from that company, with the exception of the Shazam app, which isn't Apple, but is owned by Apple Music.
And you don't own it :p
But yeah, same here.

Microsoft is working on windows ARM version. As you know Microsoft created hardware ARM developer platform called Volterra.
It hopes more developer will test and create optimized software for ARM ....

There are also some dedicated android handheld devices for games like Razer Edge
And yes maybe Samsung will use this in tablets on Android ..

Not everybody have to use Apple products :)
Specially when Apple will cost you ridiculous prices for RAM/Storage upgrade
When windows ARM application support will be on par with macOs + rosetta, and when Android will stop neglecting tablet support I may be interested, for now it's laughable with some major apps even having to run in portrait mode...

it's not really concrete for now, I hope it will of course, nothing worse than a monopoly.