• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aorus Laptop EDP Throttling, Unlocked Bios, Help Me

How are you? have you checked the temperature yet? I would like to know if I got a marriage with huge temperatures, or is this a normal situation for this model.

osos11

I'm fine thanks. I was busy and no free time. I'll check the temperatures over the weekend.

osos11

@propen

I tested it today and wrote the results in my notebook.
My room temperature is 27 degrees
Fan setting 100%
Cpu Power profile boost+
charging stopped (battery %100 and charge stop set %60)
mux on

The computer waited 30 minutes with farcry6 turned on.
The CPU 45w 90 degrees. (approx).
GPU 90w 74 degrees

Black copper pipes are generally 68-70 degrees. Towards the ends, temperatures can drop to 60 degrees.
The power components cooled by the thermal pad on the processor and under the gpu are at most 85 degrees. I didn't see 86 degrees.(I measured both the motherboard and the black copper heatsink. Same temperature values.)
edp throttling occurred at 70 and 81 degrees. It certainly does not exceed 90 degrees, but there is still edp throttling.
The part between the second ssd and the fan is 60 degrees on average.
Rams are 60-62 degrees.
Battery 30 degree.

lameczla

Hi, basicly my laptop is current/edp throttling. I have the Aorus 15G KC with i7 10870h and rtx 3060. So here is the problem, laptop doesnt overheat but it still current/edp limit throttles in games. For example in csgo, warzone, farcry6 or horizon zero dawn, it throttles down to 20-25w tdp, clocks drop to 2.5-2.8 ghz, temps below 80 degrees, laptop doesnt thermal throttle. The problem occurs randomly and during stress tests it never happens...
While throttling , in the Throttlestop Limits window, "edp other" text appears with red background in the Core and Ring section. Onboard gpu (intel uhd) disabled by mux switch.

I'm tired of this problem. Gigabyte esupport isn't even responding.
I unlocked the bios. Throttlestop can access current and voltage settings but I don't know what to do.
I atteched farcry6 logs, problem starts at line 776.
Please help me. :)
Best regards.

Hey, I have similar issue, could my issue relate to yours?
I have Aorus 15P XD i7 11800H 3070 130W - a bit newer than yours.

I have this problem when I am running the game just fine and after 10-20mins the sound from game starts to distort and then the laptop freezes completely. Thermals are very good.
I was looking what exactly was the problem.
First I've put the Processor Power Management to 99% in Power Plan. (this fixed the issue when the game randomly starts lagging when it was on 100% in power plan - there I noticed drops in Wattage on CPU and GPU). But the game would still crash.
Then I found out that the issue was in Nvidia GPU Boost - when I disable it in Aorus Control Center it solves the problem.

My question is why TF I cannot use Nvidia GPU Boost to get that extra 15W juice and also CPU on 100% in Maximum Power State (in power plan) when it is not thermal throttling?

Also even though I have battery charge limit set to 75% in Control Center, sometime I notice my battery is on 90% or 100% - how is that even possible?

osos11

Hey, I have similar issue, could my issue relate to yours?
I have Aorus 15P XD i7 11800H 3070 130W - a bit newer than yours.

I have this problem when I am running the game just fine and after 10-20mins the sound from game starts to distort and then the laptop freezes completely. Thermals are very good.
I was looking what exactly was the problem.
First I've put the Processor Power Management to 99% in Power Plan. (this fixed the issue when the game randomly starts lagging when it was on 100% in power plan - there I noticed drops in Wattage on CPU and GPU). But the game would still crash.
Then I found out that the issue was in Nvidia GPU Boost - when I disable it in Aorus Control Center it solves the problem.

My question is why TF I cannot use Nvidia GPU Boost to get that extra 15W juice and also CPU on 100% in Maximum Power State (in power plan) when it is not thermal throttling?

Also even though I have battery charge limit set to 75% in Control Center, sometime I notice my battery is on 90% or 100% - how is that even possible?
What you are describing is also present in previous models. I don't know why it is caused. Dont this if you are using the laptop with a cooling pad or a tool that raises the bottom. If the laptop is on a flat surface, sound distortion and sudden freezing ends in previous models.

lameczla

What you are describing is also present in previous models. I don't know why it is caused. Dont this if you are using the laptop with a cooling pad or a tool that raises the bottom. If the laptop is on a flat surface, sound distortion and sudden freezing ends in previous models.
I haven't tested it but will check but it does not make sense to me.

Also why when I have 100% maximum process state (normal CPU power) on, I have the lags and downs in games when the temps of CPU are max 80c (at some points in the game, the game just starts to lag or shutter for a few seconds or minute, I see FPS going down and tdps going down). Only when I put it at 99% (I think this caps the cpu to maybe 30-35W or smth like that) I don't have this issue, the game runs perfectly smoothly without drops of fps or anything.

But there is still problems when I enable NVIDIA GPU Boost (when it runs at 130W) after 20mins of game - sounds start distorting and after a minute whole laptop freezes and needs to be hard restarted.

Sorry for asking too much, but I see you have also problems and are dealing with the issues for longer time than me.

I bought this laptop before two months when it was on sale on Newegg for 1200$, it came with FE02 bios with Windows 11 preinstalled. I also wanted to unlock BIOS but it seems that FE02 cannot be unlocked (I checked with some guys on WinRaid forum) and it cannot be reverted to the previous BIOS version.

osos11

I haven't tested it but will check but it does not make sense to me.

Also why when I have 100% maximum process state (normal CPU power) on, I have the lags and downs in games when the temps of CPU are max 80c (at some points in the game, the game just starts to lag or shutter for a few seconds or minute, I see FPS going down and tdps going down). Only when I put it at 99% (I think this caps the cpu to maybe 30-35W or smth like that) I don't have this issue, the game runs perfectly smoothly without drops of fps or anything.

But there is still problems when I enable NVIDIA GPU Boost (when it runs at 130W) after 20mins of game - sounds start distorting and after a minute whole laptop freezes and needs to be hard restarted.

Sorry for asking too much, but I see you have also problems and are dealing with the issues for longer time than me.

I bought this laptop before two months when it was on sale on Newegg for 1200$, it came with FE02 bios with Windows 11 preinstalled. I also wanted to unlock BIOS but it seems that FE02 cannot be unlocked (I checked with some guys on WinRaid forum) and it cannot be reverted to the previous BIOS version.
It may be illogical, but it really worked in previous generations.

I don't know what the hell Gigabyte is doing in the bios bacground . Gigabyte makes good quality devices, but the firmware and software team really sucks.

Yes, I've been interested for a long time, but I still haven't found a solution. When I ask E-support, it doesn't say anything other than "update your drivers".

It's bad that the bios can't be unlocked, but don't worry. Unlocking the bios doesn't actually do much. It's only useful for changing ram speeds and for operations like undervolt. Unfortunately, critical and problematic settings such as current limits and processor management cannot be changed from the bios. Yes, these settings are available in the bios menus but the values entered don't really change anything. These settings run in the background away from user access.

An expert should mod the EC (embedded controller) firmware. I think then our problems will be completely solved.

You bought it for a good price.

lameczla

It may be illogical, but it really worked in previous generations.

I don't know what the hell Gigabyte is doing in the bios bacground . Gigabyte makes good quality devices, but the firmware and software team really sucks.

Yes, I've been interested for a long time, but I still haven't found a solution. When I ask E-support, it doesn't say anything other than "update your drivers".

It's bad that the bios can't be unlocked, but don't worry. Unlocking the bios doesn't actually do much. It's only useful for changing ram speeds and for operations like undervolt. Unfortunately, critical and problematic settings such as current limits and processor management cannot be changed from the bios. Yes, these settings are available in the bios menus but the values entered don't really change anything. These settings run in the background away from user access.

An expert should mod the EC (embedded controller) firmware. I think then our problems will be completely solved.

You bought it for a good price.

Did you also notice this problem with battery, when I set it to max charge at 75% , I notice that sometimes battery go way past that point..

Also about the CPU, how is it possible when I limit it to 99% that I get stable FPS, more FPS, without ups and downs compared to 100% and it is not thermal throttling..

I'm starting to guess that it has something to do with TDPs and wattage limit. But the power brick has 230W, GPU 130W, CPU 20-30-40 and even 50W would make it 180W. There is plenty left for other stuff, I just can't seem to understand what is going on and what is throttling and happening.

osos11

Did you also notice this problem with battery, when I set it to max charge at 75% , I notice that sometimes battery go way past that point..

Also about the CPU, how is it possible when I limit it to 99% that I get stable FPS, more FPS, without ups and downs compared to 100% and it is not thermal throttling..

I'm starting to guess that it has something to do with TDPs and wattage limit. But the power brick has 230W, GPU 130W, CPU 20-30-40 and even 50W would make it 180W. There is plenty left for other stuff, I just can't seem to understand what is going on and what is throttling and happening.
Yes, the charge rate sometimes exceeds the limits. Like I said, Gigabyte and their crappy software...

I don't know what happens when it is set to 99%. I will try it on my system as well.

Yes, it's all about power limits and TDP, but gigabyte does all the adjustments in the background. You cannot intervene.

My 15G KC has 90W GPU and 45W CPU TDP. Brick 230w. I'm still having a problem. :)

lameczla

Yes, the charge rate sometimes exceeds the limits. Like I said, Gigabyte and their crappy software...

I don't know what happens when it is set to 99%. I will try it on my system as well.

Yes, it's all about power limits and TDP, but gigabyte does all the adjustments in the background. You cannot intervene.

My 15G KC has 90W GPU and 45W CPU TDP. Brick 230w. I'm still having a problem. :)
I've read somewhere that power limits for GPU and CPU are 150W or so, I cannot find where I've read that, and that someone unlocked and changed that. Maybe that is causing the issue?

I just wonder how TF those reviewers on Youtube tested this laptop in all possible mods turbos etc, and did not have any of these issues.

Pogchamp

Unfortunately, no.
Well great news coz i finally found a fix..
After 2 weeks of researching the problem since i was facing it too on my aorus 15p xd ive tried every solution out there besides the ones that includes unlocking the bios and none of them actually worked but gladly ive managed to find a fix and by accident actually (ironically) i hope this works for u aswell.
So all u have to do is follow these steps:
-set power plan to high performance mode
-put the charging policy to default so the laptop charges to 100%
-as soon as u get 100% open control center and set the charging limit to 75%.
And that’s pretty much it, i know it sounds dumb but it actually worked and ive tested it on many games all sustain 4.2ghz while consuming over 40w and gpu running full load at 130w
Btw i did other things aswell so i dont know if they’re related to the fix or not but here what i did anyways:
Used throttlestop to limit pl2 power limit down to 80w just to avoid thermal throttling, set fan curve to fix mode at 75% so the play stays around 65
Also in the intel graphics command center i went to settings and set power to maximum performance (its prolly useless but i did it anyways).
Anyways that’s pretty much it and i hope it works for you.

Jorgeclank3

Well great news coz i finally found a fix..
After 2 weeks of researching the problem since i was facing it too on my aorus 15p xd ive tried every solution out there besides the ones that includes unlocking the bios and none of them actually worked but gladly ive managed to find a fix and by accident actually (ironically) i hope this works for u aswell.
So all u have to do is follow these steps:
-set power plan to high performance mode
-put the charging policy to default so the laptop charges to 100%
-as soon as u get 100% open control center and set the charging limit to 75%.
And that’s pretty much it, i know it sounds dumb but it actually worked and ive tested it on many games all sustain 4.2ghz while consuming over 40w and gpu running full load at 130w
Btw i did other things aswell so i dont know if they’re related to the fix or not but here what i did anyways:
Used throttlestop to limit pl2 power limit down to 80w just to avoid thermal throttling, set fan curve to fix mode at 75% so the play stays around 65
Also in the intel graphics command center i went to settings and set power to maximum performance (its prolly useless but i did it anyways).
Anyways that’s pretty much it and i hope it works for you.
Hello friend, what version of Bios do you have?

osos11

@Pogchamp

It doesn't work properly for me. After a while, the charge % starts to decrease even though the charger is plugged in and edp throttling begins.

I have 2 solid solutions for 15G KC.

1- Remove the battery. Realy! If you remove the battery everything works well. You can even flash 100W or more vbios instead of 90W.

2- Flash 80W vBios. 90W->80W. If you flash 80w vbios, CPU can consume even 90w constantly while GPU under load. (Not required remove the battery.)

Jorgeclank3

@unclewebb
I did what you wrote. EDP Throttling still going...
PL4 0 or 1023 did not affect the result.

I also disabled the nvidia dynamic boost 2.0 technology and test again. Nothing change, Edp still going...

In some topics, the adapter problem has been mentioned. I think my adapter is OK and does not overheat.
I have a wattmeter. I can see the electricity consumed. Laptop Adapter 230w. Normally it draws 190-200W from the socket. When throttling starts, it draws 160-170W.

Edit : I found this topic : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...attery-is-charging-on-a-gaming-laptop.287511/
I charged the battery(%90) and changed the charge limits as in the subject(%60), but there was no solution. At the end of the topic, he stated that changed the iccMax values to 255.75A and he's problem was solved. I tried it too but my problem still going.
Finally, I thought of completely removing the battery and testing it . I played far cry 6 for 1 hour and there was never edp throttling. :D
But removing the battery is very troublesome. :(
I have to take the whole back cover off. There has to be an easier way around this...
Changing the iccMax values to 255.75A solved the EDP Throttling problem for me (Aorus 15P XD), however I have a Power Throttling problem, PL2 shows up in red even if I set the value to max in the TPL tab.

osos11

Changing the iccMax values to 255.75A solved the EDP Throttling problem for me (Aorus 15P XD), however I have a Power Throttling problem, PL2 shows up in red even if I set the value to max in the TPL tab.
Not work for me. I have tried maximizing all limits before.
I cant configure PL via ThrottleStop. You can use XTU. XTU works fine for configuring PL.

Btw, Which bios version do you use?

Jorgeclank3

I have read that FE02 has a different lock that cannot be unlocked. You unlocked it. Can you explain how it's done? A friend of mine has a 15p xd Fe02. It's having an edp problem.
It's a bit more complicated, as you mentioned it can't be unlocked through conventional methods. You need a SPI programmer and a Wson8 8X6 adapter.

These worked for me:

programmer: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/EZP2023...id=1666702830&sprefix=ezp2023+,aps,173&sr=8-2

Wson8 8X6 adapter: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005...00017783452605!sea&curPageLogUid=BOlIThPavKfj

Here is the link to the blog of the person who helped me unlock it: https://239239.blogspot.com/2022/02/unlock-hidden-advanced-menus-for.html?m=1

You can contact him by sending him an email: genius239@gmail.com

Metamfetamin

Hello there, have u found a solution yet ?
I found the definitive solution to this problem myself, but it involves a bit of risk.
When I disassembled the laptop cover to clean it, I knew it was a battery issue and removed the battery socket from the motherboard connection. When I enter the games, the CPU watt drop problem has been completely eliminated, but of course we can only use it while it is charging. This is how I found the solution.
I'm guessing the problem is most likely the bios software not working in harmony with the battery. Hope it helps everyone.

osos11

I found the definitive solution to this problem myself, but it involves a bit of risk.
When I disassembled the laptop cover to clean it, I knew it was a battery issue and removed the battery socket from the motherboard connection. When I enter the games, the CPU watt drop problem has been completely eliminated, but of course we can only use it while it is charging. This is how I found the solution.
I'm guessing the problem is most likely the bios software not working in harmony with the battery. Hope it helps everyone.
Yes. Its true and really working. I shared this solution in the previous posts. The edp problem is definitely caused by the bad bios or ec software.

Metamfetamin

Yes. Its true and really working. I shared this solution in the previous posts. The edp problem is definitely caused by the bad bios or ec software.
Did you have any problems while using the laptop without a battery?

osos11

I haven't used it much without a battery. I don't know if there is any harm. I've played around 2 hours a few times and no problems(hw failure or edp) have occurred.

Zakaria!

Well, no, I didn't face any problems without the battery (because I don't have it with this laptop, because I got this laptop dead and I fix it, now it's just the bottom laptop, no screen, attached to a monitor).
But I have noticed that if I put the laptop in normal mode or gaming mode, the laptop shutdown with heavy loads (CPU+GPU), and with maximum power it happens faster, not sure if it's because of missing battery or because of the adapter (230watt adapter with modified connector and low-end cable).

Now, I'm trying to unlock the BIOS just to under Volt the VCORE because the CPU is burning hot, always thermal throttle is happening even in desktop! yeah, I didn't change the thermal past, but same results.
Will post any further information just for reference, in case someone need it.