• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electric buzzing/humming coming from the motherboard area - Help needed

Hello!
I recently built a new PC with the following spec: 13700KF (with Noctua cooler), Asus Prime Z790-A Wifi motherboard, 2x32GB Ram, 2x NVMe SSDs, 1 x 4070ti and 1x 850RMx Corsair PSU.
I noticed an intermittent sound coming from the PC and it doesn't matter if it's on or off, doesn't matter if it's under load or idle.
What I tried so far to isolate the cause (but I still don't know):
- Run the PC without the video card (Result: The noise is still happening -> which makes me think it's not the GPU)
- Updated BIOS (Result: Noise still happening)
- Unplugged everything and just powered on the PSU (Result: Noise not happening -> which makes me think it's not the PSU)
- Disabled C states in bios (Result: The noise is still happening)
At this point I think the sound is coming from the mobo but what baffles me is that it happens even though the computer is turned off. There is no predicting the sound, it can happen 10 times in 1 minute, it can happen once every 10 minutes or once an hour. Also, it can vary in length.
Link to video where I started recording when the noise was happening and stopped when it also stopped:

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
Sounds more like interference than any whine or chokes.

Move the computer somewhere else or try a different plug outlet.

Edit: Just noticed your wifi dongles. Maybe EMI and that??

Will try to do that. Thanks for the tip. It's weird cause I don't have any speakers plugged in so then this interference sound comes from the vrm of the mobo? Or maybe the capacitors in the PSU? I can't for the life of me pin it down, I just know it comes from "inside" the PC

@d1nky : Alright so I tried without the wifi antenna and the sound is still there. I'm going to try now and change its location. The idea is that I also tried with two different powerstrips (same issue with both). Unfortunately where my PC is located I am unable to directly plug it in the wall socket but I'll move it somewhere else and see if this sound keeps happening. What would be my options if the issue is still there even though it's plugged in a different room and directly into the wall? Try with a new PSU?

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Probably better asking someone with electronics know how. There's something in your system making it sing for sure.

Or maybe a bad earth, bad connection or just a phenomenon.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Honestly I can't discern anything, if it's high pitched type of noise it's probably just coil whine.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
what baffles me is that it happens even though the computer is turned off.
It is important to note when PCs are turned off they are NOT really, completely off. They are in a standby (sleep) state. ATX compliant PSUs are required to still supply +5Vsb standby voltage to multiple points on the motherboard, including the RAM, USB ports, network and more.

This standby voltage is what allows us to boot up the computer with the front panel power switch (which is really a "remote" switch) or by pressing a keyboard key or mouse button.

Truly "off" is when the PSU is unplugged from the wall, or (if so equipped) the master power switch on the back of the PSU is set to "0" or Off.

Get yourself the inner tube from a roll of paper towels and use it like a stethoscope to see (hear) if you can pinpoint the source of the sound.

@Bill_Bright Tried doing that but I can't pinpoint it directly. I have however tried moving the PC someplace else and the sound does not happen any longer (or it's of a frequency that I can't hear). In this case, i don't know if to blame the PSU or the power outlet in my room :(

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
or the power outlet in my room
Well, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK, or this one for German outlets) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Also, other sources of RFI/EMI are things with big motors like refrigerators and freezers. Microwave ovens (especially older ones) can "leak" RFI/EMI, as can TVs, audio electronics and other electronics.

Also, the power cord from the power supply to the wall outlet is designed to provide a path to Earth ground from the computer. These are simple, very low tech, very cheap to produce, but critical safety devices and 99.99% of the time, work as designed. But the electronics power cable industry makes millions (billions?) of them - especially since they are commonly used on other electronics too, besides computers.

Sadly, they rarely ever go through any sort of quality control process before they leave the factory to ensure there are no factory defects. And until Man can make perfection 100% of the time, there will always be some that are not perfect. Also, these cables can be damaged by abuse/misuse, rodentia, insect activity, or teething puppies. So it would not hurt to try a different power cable either.

Last, make sure your entire computer system is powered from the same wall outlet. This ensures the monitor, computer, speakers, etc. are all at the same "common ground". Since no two wall outlets have the exact same path to Earth ground, it is possible for there to be a slight difference in potential between two outlets. This difference can produce EMI/RFI resulting in "noise" (a buzz in speakers or lines on a monitor), or even a slight tingle when you touch metal of a case.

If more than one outlet is necessary, use some basic 22 AWG "Hookup" wire connected to a case screw on each case to establish that common ground.

Solid advice. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try a different power cable hooked to the powerstrip in my room (I currently have hooked to that the PS5, a monitor and an iPhone charger and never had "noise" issues) and see how that goes.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Don't dismiss the power strip as a possible cause either. You need to isolate to eliminate the possible sources.

Sure, I've tried two different power strips and it happens with both of them (hooked to the power outlet in my room). I could try using a power strip but in another room to see if it's like the electric output in the socket in my room or if it's basically just two power strips that the PC doesn't like

Ok so I've tried plugging the power cable in the powerstrip (that I used in my room and with which it made that sound) but in the other room and no sound is happening. Then I guess it's something that the PSU/PC doesn't like in the way in which electricity is delivered from the outlet in my room (it's just too bad that I have a sole outlet near my desk so i'm not sure what I have to do now to be able to use the PC at my desk not in the living room hooked up to the tv haha)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
so i'm not sure what I have to do now
You need to get yourself an outlet checker and verify that wall outlet is properly wired and grounded. This is not just for buzzing noises but for personal safety too.

Short update, it started doing the sound but not as high-pitched and it sounds more dampened somehow (like muffled, lower frequency), even in the room where yesterday it was doing no sounds. I tend to believe it's something up with the PSU at this point

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
At least you're not this poor guy:
His PSU sounds like a/the beast is inside it, even discharged and unplugged!

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Hahah yeah, I stumbled across his post while googling my issue. For sure don't wanna be in his shoes
Your issue appears easier to address, and a lot less spooky.

Probably a 'bandaid' to the core cause(s) but:
Off the top of my head, it sounds like a "Line Interactive" UPS, power conditioner, or a (earthed) passive filter might help your issues.
From the changes you described moving it to other circuits it resembles "Dirty Power". (Well, that and/or a bad PSU and/or bad power component on mobo, and/or high impedance- or capacitive- short somewhere in the case.)

It could be messed up wiring (in your walls), inducted 'noise' in your mains, or your home/nearby home with a bad earth, etc. Needless to say there are many possibilities (and safety concerns), as probably already well gone-over.

If you're not in a situation where you can address the core cause, I'd try one of the 'bandaid' fixes.

Last edited:
Yep, however it's the first time I'm getting this kind of noise from electronics in my house (but never had a proper PC before, just laptops). What I'm trying next is a new PSU and see if this still happens. If it still happens I'll probably try a new mobo and check again after that.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Yep, however it's the first time I'm getting this kind of noise from electronics in my house (but never had a proper PC before, just laptops). What I'm trying next is a new PSU and see if this still happens. If it still happens I'll probably try a new mobo and check again after that.

What lab rat is getting at, correct me if im wrong. Is that there may be something strange with your house electrics. Like a bad ground or poor wiring.

If you can, take it to a friend's house to rule out your pc or your home wiring.

Don't go wasting money and time on parts just yet, you could end up with all new parts and it still making noise)

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
I have however tried moving the PC someplace else and the sound does not happen any longer
From post #7 seems to isolate the issue. Instead of a new PSU and mobo, spend the money on a licensed electrician to come and check the outlet and/or change it out.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
From post #7 seems to isolate the issue. Instead of a new PSU and mobo, spend the money on a licensed electrician to come and check the outlet and/or change it out.

Short update, it started doing the sound but not as high-pitched and it sounds more dampened somehow (like muffled, lower frequency), even in the room where yesterday it was doing no sounds. I tend to believe it's something up with the PSU at this point

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
spend the money on a licensed electrician to come and check the outlet and/or change it out.
As noted in the beginning of post #8 above, a one-time $12 lifetime investment gets you a quality and effective outlet checker you can use to test all the outlets in your home, all your friend's homes, your family's home, and every home you live in for the rest of your life!

With one of these checkers, anyone can easily test and verify if an outlet is properly wired in just seconds. Just plug it in! It is that simple. The LED lights will immediately indicate if the outlet is wired correctly. And if not, it will show the fault.

If a fault is indicated, then hire a licensed electrician to fix it.

And also, understand the outlet itself may be in perfect condition and wired properly. HOWEVER a fault can easily be introduced in the circuit anywhere on the path back to, and including in the service panel. One of those testers will indicate a fault, regardless where in the path it may be. Point being, simply replacing an outlet will not fix the problem if it is in the breaker panel, for example.

What I'm trying next is a new PSU and see if this still happens.
WRONG MOVE!!!!!!! PLEASE!!! Don't be dismissive or naive here! Faulty outlets can result in fire, injury or even death!!!!

Test your outlets first! It is not only simple/common "safety" sense, it is electronics troubleshooting 101. Are you supplying good clean and safe power to your power supply? You don't and won't know that until you test your outlets.

If your outlet is improperly wired, missing a good Earth ground, it will still be improperly wired, missing a good Earth ground with a new power supply. Your noise may go away with a new supply, but the potentially deadly condition will still exist. :(

Go today to Walmart, The Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever local home improvement store you have in your area, and get one - if not for you, then for everyone else who may live in or visit your home. There are even less expensive, but still very effective testers, like this one that you can also use to test GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) outlets found in kitchens and bathrooms (near water).

It IS that serious! At least I sure think possible electrocution is serious!

The fact you are getting different results in different rooms suggests it is NOT the computer.

Even if it turns out all the outlets in your home are properly wired and provide a good path to Earth ground, investing in an outlet checker and verifying your outlets are wired properly is still an excellent investment, and a wise and logical initial troubleshooting step. Then, if your outlets do test good, I would borrow a PSU to swap in - unless you just want to buy a spare to keep on hand (and nothing wrong with that - I have 2!).

And again, EVERY computer user should have access to one of these testers. I have several. I even keep one in my laptop travel bag.

As Bill said, I also first suspect a ground problem with the outlet. Even your components are not too happy seeing more than 0V on computer chassis/ground rail, so first check the outlets then try a different PSU.

Thank you all for the advice. What I can't wrap my head around is why this is happening with this new PC but ALL of the others electronics that I have plugged in (as mentioned above) have no issues for years now. Never had issues with them, nothing, until this. I will however look into an outlet checker and see if I can get one. I'm not in the US so I need to see where I can grab one of those (I am based in Spain). Scratch that, found the exact same one Bill linked on Amazon Spain. Will get one of those and see what's up with the wiring

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
found the exact same one Bill linked on Amazon Spain. Will get one of those and see what's up with the wiring
At the very least, you will eliminate that from the equation - a good thing.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Last edited: