• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries Arctis Nova 7 Wireless

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless is an excellent wireless gaming headset, offering good sound and microphone performance, excellent wearing comfort, as well as superb versatility thanks to its simultaneous wireless and Bluetooth connectivity.

Show full review

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I have had horrible problems with steelseries GG software and Windows11. SteelSeries GG causes my computer to wake up from sleep, specifically from the Nova 7 headset. My computer will not sleep without closing the APP down and turning off my headset. Occasionally I have found that just by turning off Sonar it works.

The headset is great, but the software is horrible in my opinion.

I have had horrible problems with steelseries GG software and Windows11. SteelSeries GG causes my computer to wake up from sleep, specifically from the Nova 7 headset. My computer will not sleep without closing the APP down and turning off my headset. Occasionally I have found that just by turning off Sonar it works.

That sucks I've had 0 problems.

System Name It's a box, it games, what more do you want?
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling EVGA CLC 240 Liquid
Memory 2 x 16 Gb DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3600Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT MERC310
Storage WD BLACK™ SN770 Gen.4 1TB NVME M.2, Crucial MX300 275 GB M.2 2280, WD Red 4TB SATA-III 256M
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DWF
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital RGB Black
Power Supply SuperFlower Legion GX Pro 850W
Mouse Mionix Naos QG
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon RGB Romer-G Tactile
Software Windows 11 x64

Yeah, happened to me to. My computer would just randomly wake up for no reason. I since ditched Steelseries and went with HyperX's insane battery life beast, the Cloud Alpha. There is literally no other competition on the market when it comes battery life, nothing even comes close. There's the Cloud Alpha, and then everyone else.

Sorry to hear that. Im on Win10 and i solved my PC waking up. It was MS fault as usual with a "maintenance task" running at night. Aside from that i dont have much to complain about GG. It gets regular updates. The resource usage is normal etc. The only thing i would like to see is that the Prism, Moments, Sonar subprocesses should not run if i dont use them.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Software ❶ Win 10 ❷ 10 ❸ 10
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
this looks sweet!!

i've always fancied going wireless with headsets but 2 things hold me back 1) the good stuff tends to be pricier 2) i've (or shared with others) accidentally damaged a few headsets in the past hence spending on something pricier with self-inflicted lower life expectancy makes for a less appealing investment.

The question is: Are these ~$200 wireless headsets built like a tank?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Sorry to hear that. Im on Win10 and i solved my PC waking up. It was MS fault as usual with a "maintenance task" running at night. Aside from that i dont have much to complain about GG. It gets regular updates. The resource usage is normal etc. The only thing i would like to see is that the Prism, Moments, Sonar subprocesses should not run if i dont use them.

This is the Sonar bug:

1681524814762.png

This bug has gone on for at least 6 months. It was not a problem in the past. The request will always wake the PC. Other users also have the problem, and it has been ignored for a while.

Computer will randomly wake up no matter what unless Sonar is turned off or SS GG is closed manually before sleep.

It makes the software horrible and makes the headset worth less because it causes more power consumption by waking my computer.

What makes the situation worse is that I own 3 SS keyboards, 3 SS mice, and 3 SS headsets (including the Nova Pro with noise cancellation), a company I have invested a lot of money with is not taking care of a known bug for quite some time.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Last wake is the same result.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Nice review, I've got the last gen Arctic Wireless Pro so it's interesting seeing what they've changed over the different products in the Nova stack.

Btw there's a couple of typos, you say Nova 3 near the end of the Software section, & I think you say Pro instead of 7 in the following section but I've forgotten exactly where.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
Nice review, I've got the last gen Arctic Wireless Pro so it's interesting seeing what they've changed over the different products in the Nova stack.

Btw there's a couple of typos, you say Nova 3 near the end of the Software section, & I think you say Pro instead of 7 in the following section but I've forgotten exactly where.

Thank you, that was a leftover from my template; I fixed it! :)

System Name Zappa
Processor 13900K
Motherboard Asrock Z790 PG Lightniing
Cooling NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengence DDR5 5200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti 8GB 256 bit
Storage 1x Samsung 980 NvME 2TB, 1x WD Black SN770 2TB, 1 SAmsung 870 EVo SSD (2.5) 1TB, I Intel NvME 665p
Display(s) 3x2k -Asus/MSI/Asus sucks never again - 1x 4TB 5400RPM seagate and 1x 7200 10TB Seagate
Case NZXT H510 Flowback Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio (Realteck 7.1)
Power Supply EVGA 1000 watt +80 Gold Semi-Modular SuperNova
Mouse Logitec crap WIFI mouse
Keyboard Logitech crap WIFI keyboard
VR HMD Quest 2/3 , HTC Vive and Valve Index
Software WIn1022H2, Kubuntu 23.10
About me:

22 years experience as a PC technician, I currently have more Lenovo, Dell, HP certifications than I can count.

I have worked for major ISP's as a network technician, Dell support, HP support and Compaq support as both a consumer and commercial support technician; the government of Canada as a deskside technician, Alstom Corp. as deskside tech, Veritaq as deskside tech, and finally a national worldwide financial institution is my current position as a deskside tech.

I also have 9 years experience as a contractor working in mostly major financial institutions doing deployments, IMACs and service calls of/for new servers, routers, switches, UPS, LAN printers, desktops, check machines, pin-pads etc,etc,etc - the same contract position seen me inside Canadian Tires, CT Gas bars, and other retail stores doing the same thing, setting up srv racks, routers, switch's, UPS devices, cell card backups, LAN printers, pin-pads and POS systems.

I run my own commercial quality firewall at home (PFSense). I (my wife and two sons) have over 30 devices in my home and everything is segregated with subnets/vlans as it should be. I am also a Linux junkie because well, Winblows sucks and is only good for gaming.

I say all this not to blow my own horn but, because I want everyone who read this to understand I am NOT some non-technical noobie complaining about an otherwise great headset.

I have the exact same problem since the last firmware update. Are we sure this is not by design to prompt users to upgrade their headset. Mine is about 3-4 years old and the industry seems to be pushing people to upgrade every 3-4 years.

This started the minute I rebooted by system after a recent firmware update so, that being said, I won't be purchasing Steel Series anymore.

As consumers we cannot reward this behaviour.
Either the firmware did it OR Steel Series is not worried about it and are not going to fix it, either way this is bad from my point of view as a consumer.

I have owned Razor Krakens (the first release years ago) , Alienware, Steel Series and Creative Labs (Sound Blaster X H7 Tournaments) and others.

The Blaster x H7 tournament was arguably the bets of the lot with true 7.1 sound without software-yes it had multiple tiny speakers in each ear to create true 7.1 sound, THAT combined with the software made it one awesome headset. The pads however, wore out after 2 years and I could not purchase more so I got this steel series.

The steel series has GREAT sound but I cannot keep using it if it is going to go to sleep in the middle of playing a game or watching a movie. This movie I am watching right now is only 1/2 way over and it has already gone to sleep 3 times.

I am an older guy and my memory is not what it used to be so I cannot remember to turn it off every time I am done on the PC - twice now I had had my battery run out because I do not remember to turn it off-so re-enabled sleep until I can purchase another Blaster headset-this time I'll grab enough ear pads to keep it going for 10 years (ffs).

My son wears by these steel series, I bought them on his recommendation, I won't buy them again. Fool me once and all that.

UNLESS Steep series comes out with a fixed between now and when I purchase new headset in the new year.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem since the last firmware update.
You made a log post but it's short on details about what exactly is happening. Reading your post over several times i get that you performed a firmware update on Arctis Nova 7 Wireless and after you rebooted (your PC i assume?) the headset has started randomly going to sleep mode/shutting off/losing connection?

Are you using the latest stable Steelseries GG version 49.0.0?
The last firmware update for Nova 7 was in December last year:

Looks to me that something might have gone wrong during the update.
I have Arctis Nova Pro wireless myself and it's working fine thus far.

System Name Zappa
Processor 13900K
Storage 1x Samsung 980 NvME 2TB, 1x WD Black SN770 2TB, 1 SAmsung 870 EVo SSD (2.5) 1TB, I Intel NvME 665p
Display(s) 3x2k -Asus/MSI/Asus sucks never again - 1x 4TB 5400RPM seagate and 1x 7200 10TB Seagate
"
The steel series has GREAT sound but I cannot keep using it if it is going to go to sleep in the middle of playing a game or watching a movie. This movie I am watching right now is only 1/2 way over and it has already gone to sleep 3 times.
"

Sorry, I have a bit of ADHD going on over here and I tend to go on tangents and ramble on UN-necessarily with information not pertinent to the problem, drives me wife nuts :)

Yes same version.

Attachments

• good_version.PNG
    good_version.PNG
    32.7 KB · Views: 59

Have you tried the reset or pairing it to another device to test?
Is it charging properly?

System Name Zappa
Processor 13900K
Edit:

The software says it is fully charged.
I have only tried reinstalling drivers and software so no.
I will say, that after it went to sleep 3 times last night while I was watching a streaming movie, it did not go to sleep again while I was using it.
I was using it for approx. 6 hours.

I tried that.
There IS no reset hole in that position; I have an Arctis 7 not a Nova.

The pinhole is on the left ear (the microphone side), under the ear cushion, near the top.
I used a pinhole reset tool, but a paperclip is fine.
the instructions I found said depress the button (you'll feel a tactile vibration) and hold for 1-3 seconds then release
The headset will turn off during the process.
Further instructions recommend uninstalling GG first, the download the newest version, then perform the reset, then plug the headset into the PC and open up GG - turn on head set and click engine

After all this you should be present with a list of updates, they recommend downloading the most recent and installing it.
I did not do this because I already have the most recent version.

We'll see if it happens again today.

Thanks for the reply :)

Last edited:
System Name Zappa
Processor 13900K
I fixed my Steel Series Arctis 7 headset issues. I am using my old Blaster X H7 TE now ---yayyyyyyy
I have the Arctis 7 with the wireless transmitter that has a 3 foot long cable on it...couldn't find the exact model on Steel Series web-store.

I purchased new ear pads for my old Wired, Blaster X H7 TE - this headset has way better sound than the steel series but sacrifices the wireless freedom.

I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0BJ23M83C/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They fit and feel so well I just purchased 2 more sets of ear-pads.

My sweat is very acidic so I prefer foam pads over fake leather (real leather is a different story). I have to purchase titanium/plastic frames for my glasses for example.

The original material that was on the Blaster X started to flake off after about 1.5-2 year. By 2-2.5 years they were unwearable. The only reason I purchased the steel series was because both of my sons had them and said they were good a good headset (and they are for a mid-range device) and the steel series came with foam on ears and no fake leather anywhere.

The difference in sound between the Arctis 7 and the Blaster x is noticeable right away - I haven't even installed the sound blaster software but Nahimic asked me if I wanted to add the BlasterX to the sound devices profiles and I did = instantly better sound than the Arctis 7.

I am not getting down on the Arctis Pro 7 it's a nice headset but no where near the sound and volume of the BlasterX - I have about half again more loudness without the crackling bass (at the edges of the sound the bass of the steel series has some minor crackling going on-always been like this, if I keep the Arctis 7 at approx. 97% volume or lower I do not hear it).

So, I get better sound, with much deeper bass and crisper highs/mid-range and no sleep/hibernation issues. Once I install the Blaster software I will also get the immersive surround sound, directional noises in games and other bonus's-when I first started using this headset I caught myself starting to turn around in my chair in RL because of the sounds in the game that I could clearly tell were behind me.
I win.

The Steel Series will go back in the box, demoted to being used by visitors to our home or 'in an emergency" while I await the delivery of a quality headset I may order to replace the BlasterX - if it ever needs replacing.

Last edited:

Ronnychan

Me ayudan? Estoy entre estos y los corsair hs 80Max las puedo comprar al mismo valor pero no estoy seguro