• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SilverStone Unveils ALTA F2, its 2023 Flagship Full-tower Case

So this is a "thank you" to the old guard?
Like FT02 owners?
Like me?

Well thanks :)

Are there some vents topside that nudge the airflow to the back a little?
Cause 10 years of dry eyes with my FT02 was and still is no fun.

The Backside is almost closed off!
Why don´t you direct hot air and sound to the back?
That would be a "prosumer" move!
12.jpg

Because my ears wil not appreciate hearing the mechanical harddrives at the front opening.

And if anyone ever takes the time to test the new 180 "pro" fans long term, you are in deep trouble!
Mine did not last 3 months before the bearings startet "krrrkrrr".

The fan filters are the BEST though. I have never had to clean my case from within.

Last and biggest issue of them all:

No Silverstone Case with 180mm fans can run silent, EVER!

That's because of the 180mm hard mounts that intensify the fans sound to the point that you think you are in fireflys engine room.

For your own bottom line if would seriously try anything to get the 180mm fans running silently in idle by decoupling them.
Nobody needs 1500 rpm fans if they still can be heard whilst running 250 rpm.

I will watch out for this case and its successor.
1682786311284.jpeg

True words from an old fart
Best of Luck!
Carlyle

Attachments

• 1682786871869.jpeg
    1682786871869.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 1682786958387.jpeg
    1682786958387.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
Processor Intel Core i9-12900
Motherboard MSI MAG H670 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-P1
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C18-16GTZN (32GB)
Video Card(s) none
Storage WD SN850X 2TB and Kingston KC3000 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M32 and M27Q X
Case Silverstone Alta F1
Power Supply Silverstone NJ700
Software Bookmap
I completely agree.

180mm fans are what turned me away from FT02 and made me opt for FT03 instead years ago.

Perhaps no Silverstone fan seems to be so great with regard to noise. Even with FT03, I replaced its fan by a quieter one and eventually removed it altogether, which was possible with 4670T and without a discrete GPU.

In my Alta F1, with 12900 and without a discrete GPU, I now use three NF-S12A's at bottom and a NF-A12X25 LS-PWM on NH-P1, which are controlled to run only above certain temperature thresholds.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
the case is expected to be priced in the USD $900 to $1,000 range.

what the mafs GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

WTF are Silverstone smoking is the case made of carbon fiber or copper oh nope it's just steel and plastic just like the RV02 which is cheap as fudge what makes this thing worth that much money

There hasn't been anything close to the tj-06 since it's release (20yrs ago?)
The Temjin TJ06 was released in 2004, it had a beautifully machined aluminum front panel and was a well engineered case! The closest case model to the TJ06 and a spiritual successor to it was the Fortress FT04 released in 2013 ( https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/FT04/ ). It had the same upside down layout as the TJ06, had more aluminum and vastly superior cooling performance. Its performance was almost too good that most reviewers didn't have sufficiently powerful/hot enough system to see the difference it made!

Thanks to all again for the feedbacks and especially to SilverStone users who chimed in and share your thoughts! Building cases with great cooing performance has always been our passion, often times taking priority over styling, cable management, and other aspects of case design that isn’t readily apparent upon first glance. We have already contacted quite a few prominent reviewers about checking out the ALTA F2 so hopefully they’ll validate the work we’ve done on this with appropriately powerful test systems!

The ALTA F2 also includes three of our best fans that retail for around $35 each and a thoroughly tested/validated (a year worth of testing and prototyping) PCIe Gen4 riser. We have an excellent track record with products like these, having included risers in many of our SFF case models for nearly a decade without incidence or recall.

Cooling Noctua NH-P1
Video Card(s) none
Case Silverstone Alta F1
Software Bookmap
The ALTA F2 also includes three of our best fans that retail for around $35 each

Well, unfortunately, please note that it could end up being completely wasted investment on your as well as our parts. Even if those fans are your best fans in accordance with certain standards, they may not be to the interest of certain prospective buyers of ALTA F2. There are use cases where those fans turn out to be undesirable. Not everyone seeks for better cooling at the expense of noise. Please note that, for instance, 14 cm fans pre-installed at the bottom of Alta F1 can be untolerably noisy even at the minimum rpm for certain users purchasing it.

It would be much better if there were a version of ALTA F2 without any pre-installed fans, preferably at a lower price. As I noted above, Alta F1 is better in this respect as it offers choices to users. I can replace its bottom fans by any other 12 cm 14 cm fans or remove them altogether. By the way, I am now experimenting by removing NF-S12As I've installed at bottom and moving them to the top as I thought this placement was more suitable for NF-S12As given their characteristics.

IMHO, case manufacturers, including but not limited to Silverstone Technology, should give a greater freedom of fan choice to users. They should not presume only one possible kind of use cases but take into account more diverser use cases. I hope case manufacturers consider following Lian-Li, who launched O11D Evo without any pre-installed fans.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
This forum so salty

Thanks @SilverStone Technology, seems like a great case to me. Too big and expensive for my tastes, but if I were doing a showcase water cooled build this’d be my choice. Might’ve been nice to sneak an itx mount in there.

For folks complaining about motherboard compatibility, I’m a little confused? Looks like it supports SSI-EEB according to the product page, it ought to handle most workstation boards without an issue.

IDK about all of these 180mm noise complaints, the FT02 is still the quietest case I’ve ever built in (probably 100 or so cases, and I’m a noise freak myself). Sure, I had to limit the voltage, but the cooling performance/noise has been unparalleled in my experiences. Too much for anything but enthusiast components, for sure, but these aren’t cases meant for the midrange. Maybe the F1 had mount issues? I never got to build in one :(

Well, unfortunately, please note that it could end up being completely wasted investment on your as well as our parts. Even if those fans are your best fans in accordance with certain standards, they may not be to the interest of certain prospective buyers of ALTA F2. There are use cases where those fans turn out to be undesirable. Not everyone seeks for better cooling at the expense of noise. Please note that, for instance, 14 cm fans pre-installed at the bottom of Alta F1 can be untolerably noisy even at the minimum rpm for certain users purchasing it.

It would be much better if there were a version of ALTA F2 without any pre-installed fans, preferably at a lower price. As I noted above, Alta F1 is better in this respect as it offers choices to users. I can replace its bottom fans by any other 12 cm 14 cm fans or remove them altogether. By the way, I am now experimenting by removing NF-S12As I've installed at bottom and moving them to the top as I thought this placement was more suitable for NF-S12As given their characteristics.

IMHO, case manufacturers, including but not limited to Silverstone Technology, should give a greater freedom of fan choice to users. They should not presume only one possible kind of use cases but take into account more diverser use cases. I hope case manufacturers consider following Lian-Li, who launched O11D Evo without any pre-installed fans.
The ALTA F1 was more cost constrained so we included the entry-level 140mm Air Penetrator model that didn't have the IC capable of spinning at lower speeds. This didn't change the price of the ALTA F1 much so was good decision to make at the time to showcase the case's baseline cooling ability. But your points about enthusiasts case not needing fans included were valid so if we have to do it again, we would defintiely consider not including any fans for the ALTA F1.

For ALTA F2 however, the situation is a bit different, the fans included in the ALTA F2 are the newer generation, highend fans that are now capable of spinning down to incredibly low RPM (basically to a stop from high of 1200rpm), so there should be no need to replace them for cooling performance or quietness. 180mm fans, which this case was designed for, are on a completely different level of performance/noise ratio compared to 120mm/140mm fans so it'd be a shame not to use them. If there are many choices for 180mm fans on the market and we didn't make the best ones, we would probably choose not to include them. But we do make the best 180mm fans on the market so we had to include them in our 20th anniversary flagship case!

If you can, please give our new Shark Force 140 ( https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/fans/SF140B/ ) a try, it has superb performance/noise ratio and should work better than the NF-S12As in your ALTA F1. Like the Air Penetrator in the ALTA F2, it is also capable or spinning down to zero so you can fine-tune it to exactly the speed you like.

Cooling Noctua NH-P1
Video Card(s) none
Case Silverstone Alta F1
Software Bookmap
The ALTA F1 was more cost constrained so we included the entry-level 140mm Air Penetrator model that didn't have the IC capable of spinning at lower speeds. This didn't change the price of the ALTA F1 much so was good decision to make at the time to showcase the case's baseline cooling ability. But your points about enthusiasts case not needing fans included were valid so if we have to do it again, we would defintiely consider not including any fans for the ALTA F1.

For ALTA F2 however, the situation is a bit different, the fans included in the ALTA F2 are the newer generation, highend fans that are now capable of spinning down to incredibly low RPM (basically to a stop from high of 1200rpm), so there should be no need to replace them for cooling performance or quietness. 180mm fans, which this case was designed for, are on a completely different level of performance/noise ratio compared to 120mm/140mm fans so it'd be a shame not to use them. If there are many choices for 180mm fans on the market and we didn't make the best ones, we would probably choose not to include them. But we do make the best 180mm fans on the market so we had to include them in our 20th anniversary flagship case!

If you can, please give our new Shark Force 140 ( https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/fans/SF140B/ ) a try, it has superb performance/noise ratio and should work better than the NF-S12As in your ALTA F1. Like the Air Penetrator in the ALTA F2, it is also capable or spinning down to zero so you can fine-tune it to exactly the speed you like.
Thank you for your reply.

Your 180mm fans on ALTA F2 do seem to be considerably better than 140mm Air Penetrator fans that come with ALTA F1, although its highest noise level seems to be a bit too high for me. Still, if it can spin down to 200-300, even to 0, rpm, I may not have to worry so much about bottom fans of ALTA F2. As I noted above, bottom fans are the only thing I was concerned about with regard to ALTA F2, which I thought was otherwise perfect. I look forward to its launch.

Thanks also for letting me know of Shark Force 140, which I haven't heard of. I'll look into it.

saaqwm1312

Will this item come out on time? I'm worried that it will come out 4~6months late with only being revealed like ALTA F1.

Last edited:
Will this item come out on time? I'm worried that it will come out 4~6months late with only being revealed like ALTA F1.
Yes, the ALTA F2 will be available to purchase as soon as this week for parts of Asia. North American availability is expected in a couple of weeks with Europe to follow by the end of May.

ALTA F1 was initially slated for release in China only after pandemic, tariff, and other factors as chronicled in the thread about it on Hardform ( https://hardforum.com/threads/new-silverstone-alta-f1.2001003/ ). So the situation with ALTA F2 will be different, it is our 20th anniversary product after all, so we want to have worldwide release this time!

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, Logitech K800
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
My SilverStone Cosmos 1000 (bought for $20 off the local Craigslist in 2010) and Cosmos II (another $20 at a local yard sale last year) have been great cases so far. The side panel latching mechanisms failed years ago on the Cosmos 1000 so I replaced the panels with 99 cent furnace filters. Extremely ghetto looking but the internal temps dropped drastically.

With some though and creative engineering I was able to externally mount an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 on top of the Cosmos II and still have the sliding top front panel work correctly. Even better if in the future I decide to remove the 420 the stock top panel will go back on with no signs of any modding ever being done to the case externally. That damned this sure is heavy though! I only buy cases with at least two 5.25" front drive bays and nothing with glass side panels. Modding for personal tastes, function and airflow is why I never buy expensive new cases. I wish somebody would do a clone of the Corsair Carbide 500R, my idea of the perfect case (I have two I bought new when they first came out. Under $70 each after rebate including free shipping).

My SilverStone Cosmos 1000 (bought for $20 off the local Craigslist in 2010) and Cosmos II (another $20 at a local yard sale last year) have been great cases so far. The side panel latching mechanisms failed years ago on the Cosmos 1000 so I replaced the panels with 99 cent furnace filters. Extremely ghetto looking but the internal temps dropped drastically.

With some though and creative engineering I was able to externally mount an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 on top of the Cosmos II and still have the sliding top front panel work correctly. Even better if in the future I decide to remove the 420 the stock top panel will go back on with no signs of any modding ever being done to the case externally. That damned this sure is heavy though! I only buy cases with at least two 5.25" front drive bays and nothing with glass side panels. Modding for personal tastes, function and airflow is why I never buy expensive new cases. I wish somebody would do a clone of the Corsair Carbide 500R, my idea of the perfect case (I have two I bought new when they first came out. Under $70 each after rebate including free shipping).
Many of our original founders used to work for Cooler Master, but those Cosmos cases were not created by us. Our contemporary cases during the launch of those two cases were our Temjin TJ07 and TJ11.

You should definitely also check out our SETA D1 that was released a couple of months ago, it has four 5.25" bay in a modern, capable chassis!
seta-d1-1.jpg

Cooling Noctua NH-P1
Video Card(s) none
Case Silverstone Alta F1
Software Bookmap
System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, Logitech K800
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Enterprise IoT LTSC
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Many of our original founders used to work for Cooler Master, but those Cosmos cases were not created by us. Our contemporary cases during the launch of those two cases were our Temjin TJ07 and TJ11.

You should definitely also check out our SETA D1 that was released a couple of months ago, it has four 5.25" bay in a modern, capable chassis!
View attachment 295028
My bad, am on the pain meds today. 5 year 6 months stage IV cancer survivor. Things get foggy at times when under the influence. No mistake about the SilverStone fans though, I'm a dedicated long-time customer.

Last edited:

That's because of the 180mm hard mounts that intensify the fans sound to the point that you think you are in fireflys engine room.

For your own bottom line if would seriously try anything to get the 180mm fans running silently in idle by decoupling them.
Nobody needs 1500 rpm fans if they still can be heard whilst running 250 rpm.
Not true. My FT05 with fans running ~550RPM is silent enough that people don't catch PC turning on, unless it's middle of the night in dead silence. Fans and mounts are stock and in the past I had removed them twice for cleaning, still no problem you described.

Amazon just listed ALTA F2 with a significantly lower introductory price than expected so if you have Amazon prime and wants this case, you should probably get it now. The ALTA F2 has a shipping weight of 61 bs. and a box over 9 cuft., so regular shipping cost easily top $100 from our California warehouse to east coast. Amazon likely has massive discounts from the major shipping companies but it's still hard to imagine they could have any meaningful profit selling this case at their list price now: