• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega 64 blower edition heatsink/vapor chamber splitting apart, any fixes?

Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Asrock B550m Steel Legend
Memory 32GB Kingston Server Premier ECC DDR4
Video Card(s) Radeon RX Vega 64
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
Keyboard IBM Model M
Hello everyone, long time listener, first time caller here :) I was given an RX Vega 64 blower edition recently that was overheating constantly but would otherwise work fine if severely clocked down (as in, I can run it fine at -%50 power settings). I decided to take it apart to clean it out and do a re-paste job on the GPU die, but taking it apart I've found that the heatsink has separated from the copper vapor chamber! It looks like part of the vapor chamber has bubbled out and pushed up on the aluminum heatsink fins making a really poor contact (and therefore hurting the cards ability to cool down).

Has anyone here seen this issue before? Any tips on how you fixed it, or where I could source a replacement heatsink/vapor chamber assembly? The Vega's don't seem to have that much aftermarket cooler support, at least not anything that doesn't cost more than the entire card is worth at this point.

Attachments

• 20230511_213704.jpg
    20230511_213704.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 268
  • 20230511_213820.jpg
    20230511_213820.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 272

3x0

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wi-Fi ITX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev. B Noctua NF-A12x25 Edition
Memory 2x16GiB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mb/s CL14 F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX7800 XT Hellhound 16GiB
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 1TiB, Western Digital Blue 3D WDS200T2B0A 2TiB
Display(s) Dell G2724D 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz, ASUS VG259QM 25” IPS 1080P 240Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P ITX
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing 220, HyperX Cloud II
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum 750W SFX
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis Mini Wireless
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Aqua
Wow, can't say that I saw something like this. I'd check ebay or your local used market sites for anyone selling a stock Vega cooler. There's probably plenty of broken Vega cards that are sold for parts only.

AsRock

TPU addict
Wow, can't say that I saw something like this. I'd check ebay or your local used market sites for anyone selling a stock Vega cooler. There's probably plenty of broken Vega cards that are sold for parts only.

For sure, although i would complain to AMD too just to see in or out of warranty and there is always social media too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think there is Rajintek, Arctic Accelero, Gelid Icyvision, and ofc aio cooling you can get to toss the Stock blower away.

System Name Gamey #1 / #3
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / MSi B450 sumpin'
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / IDCool SE-224-XTS
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 16GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) PColor 6800 XT / PNY RTX 4060 Ti
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 2TB WD SN580
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / TT Versa H18
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / EVGA BQ 500
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
I think there is Rajintek, Arctic Accelero, Gelid Icyvision, and ofc aio cooling you can get to toss the Stock blower away.

I removed the crud cooler from my PNY GTX 1080 and replaced it with a Raijintek and am very happy with the result. However consider that it will be a 4-slot card afterwards and you still need to supply 2 fans (I used a pair of Arctic low-profile ones).

System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
1684051137378.png

Can't you use small cable ties on the corners? If yes even after some modding to keep the cable ties on place. Put some thermal paste between the heatspreader and the vapor camber to fill the gap. Make sure the cable ties are tighted enough.

Last edited:
System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
View attachment 295829
Can't you use small cable ties on the corners? If yes even after some modding to keep the cable ties on place. Put some thermal paste between the heatspreader and the vapor camber to fill the gap. Make sure there is cable ties are tighted enough.

It's not going to work, there wouldn't be enough thermal transfer in there. Not even if it was soldered back together. The only fix is replacing the heatsink assembly entirely, by pulling one from a dead card or by purchasing an aftermarket cooling kit. Personally, I don't think 6 year old RX Vega GPUs are worth a big investment at this point, so I'd try to find a (very cheap and beat up) dead card, take the heatsink assembly from it, and reassemble the card with the shroud OP already has. It'd be good as new.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
It's not going to work
It depends on the surface contact between the vapor camber and the heatsink. If there are no mayor gaps, I think it will work with thermal paste but the fin stack must stay in place.

Not even if it was soldered back together.
The liquid in vapor chamber will expand too much and chamber will be misformed. Watch the first 3 minutes of this video since some already try that:

@Suspenders
You also try to use thermal adhesive tape, but the thermal conductivity is (far) less than thermal paste like Arctic Cooling MX-4
Like the others already said, proper repairing the heatsink is nearly impossible. Replacing the card or cooler is a beter solution

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Holy crap. I've never seen anything like that... it's giving birth!
Seriously tho, If you can find an aftermarket heatsink for it. That thing will last forever, if it hasn't already been damaged from overheating.

A very high quality made cooler by Adios My Dineros, no doubt. Looks like they've put either too much liquid in there or more likely too thin copper to hold it. Vapor does have its pressure and the more the too thin copper started to warp, the less cooling the vapor got and more pressure it produced. You could drill a hole, let small amount of liquid out, straighten the copper plate and solder it with high temp. solder (brass), but less work is buying an after-market cooler mentioned above.
Can't you use small cable ties on the corners? If yes even after some modding to keep the cable ties on place. Put some thermal paste between the heatspreader and the vapor camber to fill the gap. Make sure there is cable ties are tighted enough.
Thermal paste is an insulator, at least at the huge amount you'd have to put on it, so no go. High temp solder would work, but it's better to make the copper part straight again and perhaps lower the pressure in it a bit.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Thermal paste is an insulator, at least at the huge amount you'd have to put on it, so no go. High temp solder would work, but it's better to make the copper part straight again and perhaps lower the pressure in it a bit.
Thermal paste is a conductor since it improves the conductivity. If it is an insulator, it would conduct the heat less than it already did!

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Thermal paste is a conductor since it improves the conductivity. If it is an insulator, it would conduct the heat less than it already did!
Pavle is right. When applied, (as it would be in this case) far to thick it can in fact act as an inadvertent insulator, due to the fact that its trapping large amounts of air. The air is the insulation. When it's being applied properly, between two flat surfaces. With as thin a layer as possible, there is little to no air.
I forget who did the work but it was shown long ago that excess paste acts as an insulator around the edges of the IHS (where excess paste is naturally pushed to)for the same reason.

Processor Ryzen 5800x
Keyboard IBM Model M
Thanks all, appreciate the responses. Some updates for everyone: I sent messages to both AMD and Sapphire (since Sapphire seems like the biggest AIB partner for AMD) about this, and both told me that they unfortunately don't keep spare parts for cards this old. No extra heat-sinks laying around sadly. The Sapphire guys also told me that the stock Vega heatsink/vapor chambers were basically custom made for that series of GPUs and aren't interchangeable with any of their other cards, limiting me to salvage Vega's only for swapping a heatsink assembly.

Repairing my damaged one seems dicey, although I might try the suggestion of using gobs of thermal paste. Funny enough, even at running at -50% power the Vega is still outperforming my old RX 570 which the Vega was meant to replace, haha.

I looked into aftermarket coolers, but the only one that explicitly lists support for Vega is the Raijintek Morpheus which is fairly pricey unfortunately. Mostly uneconomical unless I can find it for a very good price. Also seems like hardly anyone even makes aftermarket GPU coolers anymore? They used to be a lot more popular.

A stock heatsink from a salvage Vega seems the best option, so I'll keep the ol' eyes peeled for one. Ebay shows dead Vegas going for almost $100 though? Why the hell are dead ones so expensive? lol

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Pavle is right. When applied, (as it would be in this case) far to thick it can in fact act as an inadvertent insulator, due to the fact that its trapping large amounts of air. The air is the insulation. When it's being applied properly, between two flat surfaces. With as thin a layer as possible, there is little to no air.
I forget who did the work but it was shown long ago that excess paste acts as an insulator around the edges of the IHS (where excess paste is naturally pushed to)for the same reason.
You are assuming what Pavle ment. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.
Regardless the amount of thermal paste, it doesn't change the property of conducting heat (W/mK)!

When wrongly applied like you mentioned before with a tick layer of thermal paste and some air bubbels, it will perform worse than a tight fit without some air inbetween.
if you read my previous posts, you will see I mentioned to keep it tight a possible and no major gaps between the vapor chamber and fin stack.

A stock heatsink from a salvage Vega seems the best option, so I'll keep the ol' eyes peeled for one. Ebay shows dead Vegas going for almost $100 though? Why the hell are dead ones so expensive? lol
You may also encounter a card which had the same issue before it died. Maybe it is beter to sell it and mentioning the issue with the cooler?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ive started to press and twist the hsf to reduce any potential airpockets

Processor Ryzen 5800x
Keyboard IBM Model M
An update for you guys.

I got lucky and managed to find a friendly fellow locally with a Vega 64 heatsink he was willing to sell me ($20 total). I installed it onto my Vega 64 with some of that Honeywell PTM-7950 phase changing thermal paste/pad over the GPU and HBM (a real PITA to work with btw), and everything is running well again! All running smoothly, and no signs of severe thermal throttling or the driver whining about overheating :rockout:
new salvage Vega 64 heatsink.jpg

Honeywell PTM7950 over Vega 64.jpg

Vega 64 heatsink reattached.jpg

If you are in the market for a reference blower Vega, I'd pay particularly close attention to the heatsink and if there is any warpage present in it. Shine a flashlight through the back and take a good look, warpage will probably be visible if the problem was as bad as mine was even when you don't disassemble the card completely. The Vega 64 is surprisingly simple to disassemble actually, you don't even need to worry about thermal pads or anything if you are just removing the heatsink assembly, but finding parts is a problem. There are no new stock heatsink assemblies out there from my searches. I would stick to an aftermarket AIB card, as those don't suffer any heatsink warpage problems as far as I can tell.

Hello everyone, long time listener, first time caller here :) I was given an RX Vega 64 blower edition recently that was overheating constantly but would otherwise work fine if severely clocked down (as in, I can run it fine at -%50 power settings). I decided to take it apart to clean it out and do a re-paste job on the GPU die, but taking it apart I've found that the heatsink has separated from the copper vapor chamber! It looks like part of the vapor chamber has bubbled out and pushed up on the aluminum heatsink fins making a really poor contact (and therefore hurting the cards ability to cool down).

Has anyone here seen this issue before? Any tips on how you fixed it, or where I could source a replacement heatsink/vapor chamber assembly? The Vega's don't seem to have that much aftermarket cooler support, at least not anything that doesn't cost more than the entire card is worth at this point.

Glad you got it sorted by replacement.

The second picture in first post with bubble looks like someone has placed the cooler in an oven. When you place a vapor chamber in an oven & you heat it up to over 150c it will show a big bulge.

The first photo still in the first post, I'v seen the before on a Radeon VII, ie factory defect poor soldering. Again if you overheat it, it will bulge on both sides of the vapor chamber leading to that gap.

In any case I don't think it's possible for a GPU die to cause a big bulge, I think it's done by some external heat source.

Last edited: