• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 13th Gen Support?

vampgirl

I have a 12800HX CPU that works with 9.5.0, but I was wondering if there is any advantage using 9.5.1 with this 12th gen CPU?! With 9.5.0 my undervolt is working very stable at 110.4mv for core and P cache, but if I lock MMIO in TPL my framerate drops drastically and my laptop reboots every now and then!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Yes it is normal. You need an unlocked K series to access undervolting. Intel charges extra for what used to be a free feature.

PROCHOT Offset should be zero. Set this correctly if it is not locked.

TS 9.5.1 allows setting IccMax to a maximum of 511.75. TS 9.5 only allows going as high as 255.75. This feature applies to both 12th and 13th Gen CPUs.

Some computers with 12th Gen Alder Lake CPUs are setting the cache ratio equal to the base frequency. Some 13th Gen computers might also be doing the same thing. When using ThrottleStop, you have to make sure that you are not accidentally trying to run the cache too fast. Adjusting the value in the FIVR - Cache Ratio Max box allows you to run the cache at any speed you like. When increasing the clock speed of anything, if the speed goes up, you might also need to increase the core and cache voltage. If the voltage is too low, your computer might instantly crash or it might not be 100% stable. Double check this setting before trying to use MMIO Lock.

1683387442387.png

Send me a message if you need a download link for TS 9.5.1

If you have further questions about your 12th Gen CPU, start a new thread. Here is an old thread about a similar 12800HX.

They used ThrottleStop to access the 50 multiplier for all cores and combined that with a 44 cache ratio. With 10th Gen CPUs, you could run the cache ratio reliably at 300 MHz less than the CPU core speed. Most 12th Gen and likely 13th Gen CPUs will need more headroom than that to run reliably. If you try to run the cache too fast, you will have to use a huge amount of voltage to get things stable. The extra heat that extra voltage creates is not worth it.

Last edited:
On my desktop with a 13700KF ThrottleStop 9.5 is working fine, but on my laptop with a 16320H I can't undervolt. It is a MSI laptop so I disabled the undervolt protection. I think I can solve it with ThrottleStop 9.5.1.

@unclewebb Is it possible to get a link for ThrottleStop 9.5.1?

unclewebb

Do you mean the 13620H? I don't think Intel has released any 16th Gen CPUs.

The 13th Gen mobile H series do not allow undervolting. It is not locked. This feature no longer exists. TS 9.5.1 will likely say Not Available in the FIVR window.

I will send you a download link.

I think I can solve it
I do not think so. It never hurts to try though as long as you do not do anything too crazy.

Do you mean the 13620H? I don't think Intel has released any 16th Gen CPUs.

The 13th Gen mobile H series do not allow undervolting. It is not locked. This feature no longer exists. TS 9.5.1 will likely say Not Available in the FIVR window.

I will send you a download link.

I do not think so. It never hurts to try though as long as you do not do anything too crazy.
Damn, they sold it to me as a 16th gen. Paid a nice premium for it... ;)

Thanks for the link.

You're right about the undervolt for the H series. Undervolt in BIOS is also not possible for those processors?

Last edited:

unclewebb

Undervolt in BIOS is also not possible
Probably not available. See what options are available in your BIOS. I doubt undervolting will work even if there is an option available in the BIOS.

kurty994

Hello @unclewebb , is it possible to also get a copy of the beta for throttlestop 9.5.1 to use it on a 13980hx please ?

Thank you for your work, using it since the core 2 duo era !

NoxanTG

Hi, I also kindly request version 9.5.1 for my new 13900hx CPU. Thank you very much :)
Also, I have been undervolting with vers. 9.5 and encountered some popping and crackling sound issues although there are no problems with games and benchmarking tools. Would the version change fix this problem?

ChefBierfles

Could I get access to version 9.5.1? I am currently running a XPS 15 with the i9 13900h so I could do some testing!

healbunny

Hi @unclewebb , can I try the 9.5.1 beta copy of the throttlestop, I'm using 13980hx on asus scar 16. I want to see if undervolt ecore can further improve performance. Thanks

cbpowell

Hello @unclewebb, I would love to try the 9.5.1 beta; this is for a 13900HX that could benefit from the beta's improvements. Thanks!

mva94

@unclewebb after weeks of tweaking I finally got rid of all the edp vrm currenf limit , you were right!!! The way I solved it is put pl4 to 1023 and icc to the max , now everything runs flawlessly, one question what would you do with pl0 ? And speedshift?
Also can you check my settings and tell me if they are safe ? Since pl4 is on the maximum I just don't want to push it too far

should I do Clamp or not ?

edit: upgraded to bios 1.1.0 and back to current and vrm limit , downgrade to bios 1.0 5 and throttlestop let me get rid of those limits , you think they crippled the bios from 1.0.5 onwards ?
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_feedfc49-a2ec-43ba-9a3e-4ffafb9df36a.jpg

Last edited:

Pippibob

Hi @unclewebb , I would kindly like to request a copy of Throttlestop 9.5.1 Beta to test on my Legion i7 pro - 13900HX.

Thanks in advance mate :)

z1003809614

I want to test whether version 9.5.1 can work properly on my Lenovo laptop's 13900HX CPU. Could you please send me a copy? Thank you. @unclewebb

Nephirum

Hello there, I'm new to the forums, throttlestop in general and even laptop Intel CPUs (last one was a 6700HQ which remains stock to this day)

While attempting to use throttlestop with my new 13950hx (MSI GE68) I realized it was clocking really low on cinebench, halving my performance, even on default settings.

After finding this thread, I assume that the culprit is the version I'm using (9.5), is there any way I can get a copy of the 9.5.1 beta to test it?

Also, any advice from experienced users would be greatly appreciated. The goal is to limit temperatures, without completely sacrificing performance, since these fans are incredibly loud at anything over 60%, even though they are really good at dissipating heat.

Thanks in advance!

unclewebb

I realized it was clocking really low on Cinebench
That was likely caused by IccMax being set way too low. TS 9.5.1 has fixed that problem. Check your messages for a download link.

You should be able to adjust the MSR power limits to get the right balance between performance and temperatures. Post a screenshot of your FIVR and TPL windows if you want some suggestions.

zippster

Just curious, what would be the downside of just setting a BDProt of 10 or 15 (max temp of 85C or 90c) and then just putting PL1 and PL2 to 300? It would use as much power as needed up to 300 in either long or short until it hit the relatively safe thermal throttle temp. Or am I understanding this incorrectly. Isn't the goal generally to maximize power while remaining under temps?

Nephirum

That was likely caused by IccMax being set way too low. TS 9.5.1 has fixed that problem. Check your messages for a download link.

You should be able to adjust the MSR power limits to get the right balance between performance and temperatures. Post a screenshot of your FIVR and TPL windows if you want some suggestions.
Probably was, after turning 9.5 off, went on BIOS and got -100mV on core, L2 E-core cache and -50mV on Ring, got 32k and change on cinebench, turned throttlestop 9.5.1 on, ran cinebench again and got 33k+ so all good on that front.

I've been looking at the MSR power limits, and seems like the way to go aswell, I can just untick "Disable Controls" and set arbitrary values right? I have both at the stock 220, I was thinking about trying about 150W or so, the goal would be having like 80ºC on CPU while gaming so the fans would be kept in a reasonable audio level.

Also, what about Speed Shift EPP? It's unticked by default, but should I use it?

Here's the requested screenshots:

1684262785281.png

1684262806353.png

Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: Just tried limiting the long and short power to 145W, lets me keep 30k pts in cinebench and keeps the CPU under 80ºC (vs 92+ spikes on stock) with steady 5.1Ghz+ on r6:Siege

Last edited: