• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FiiO K9 Desktop DAC/Headphone Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
FiiO enters the $500 desktop DAC/amplifier market with its new K9. It uses the flagship K9 Pro ESS as a base and provides a well built and engineered source with plenty of inputs and outouts, ability to handle sensitive IEMs as well as more demanding headphones, and also works as a preamp for speakers.

Show full review

As far as I know usb-c DACs are not even supported by windows, even those that have a usb-c plug on the DAC must be plugged in a normal usb-b to function (e.g. my old Fiio k3).
Should it really count as a negative?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Getting my Asgard 2 used for $100 shipped is seeming like the best deal I ever made. $500 is hard to swallow, wow

If I was going to spend $500, might as well spend 100-200 more and buy from that guy that handmakes amps in Iceland, forget his name, but they are way more bang for buck.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Getting my Asgard 2 used for $100 shipped is seeming like the best deal I ever made. $500 is hard to swallow, wow

If I was going to spend $500, might as well spend 100-200 more and buy from that guy that handmakes amps in Iceland, forget his name, but they are way more bang for buck.
Mjolnir? Those are much more expensive and amps only.

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
I have a soft spot for Fiio having spent some time with the K5Pro AKM version. I really have an issue where I am not able to discern differences in sound quality from modern DACs they all sound pretty much the same. It's the AMP quality that makes a difference and is most notable.
I swapped out my Fiio for Topping DX3Pro + as I wanted to try a different DAC chip and wanted BT connectivity. That's about as much as I want to spend on a DAC/AMP these days!

Great review.

Reactions: VSG

Hxx

As far as I know usb-c DACs are not even supported by windows, even those that have a usb-c plug on the DAC must be plugged in a normal usb-b to function (e.g. my old Fiio k3).
Smsl c200 works via usb c - usb c connection . So do pretty much most dongle dacs with a detachable usb c cable (truthear shio, shanling ua2 plus etc are the ones i tried) . W11 has built in drivers for them.
Creative x5 also works via usb c - usb c connection.
I know some do not play well with usb c outputs but i think the usbc connection is a valid point

ive played with the k9pro ess...its such a well build unit with an excellent smooth volume pot that doesnt rotate indefinitely, heavy unit doesnt move from your desk etc. you are paying for features and build quality. otherwise i think you will have a tough time justifiying a price increase in terms of sonic performance over say something like a $200 topping dx3pro+.

I have a soft spot for Fiio having spent some time with the K5Pro AKM version. I really have an issue where I am not able to discern differences in sound quality from modern DACs they all sound pretty much the same. It's the AMP quality that makes a difference and is most notable.
I swapped out my Fiio for Topping DX3Pro + as I wanted to try a different DAC chip and wanted BT connectivity. That's about as much as I want to spend on a DAC/AMP these days!

Great review.

Ultimately the differences between good DAC chips themself, (AKM, ESS, CS, BB) aren't all that much. It's mostly going to be in the implementation of them. R2R is another matter.

It is a great review but I'm mostly in the market for stuff that dodges wireless and BT entirely. Also past the amp/dac all in one days for me. Give me a stack.

Oh? I have an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle as my audio output. Works fine.

Oh? I have an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle as my audio output. Works fine.

They have been supported since Windows 10 I have a few of them. Fuck Razer makes a USB-C THX DOLBY dongle for their own laptops now.

Sancho

Hi. I'm looking for a desktop dac/amp to pair with my pc and TV. I own Meze 109 pro, Sennheiser hd6xx and Focal Elegia. Are there real sounding differences between k9 and q7, for a difference of some 200-250 euros these days, please? If not, the choice seems obvious. And if you have any suggestions for a better one in this price range, be my guest.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Hi. I'm looking for a desktop dac/amp to pair with my pc and TV. I own Meze 109 pro, Sennheiser hd6xx and Focal Elegia. Are there real sounding differences between k9 and q7, for a difference of some 200-250 euros these days, please? If not, the choice seems obvious. And if you have any suggestions for a better one in this price range, be my guest.
For your end use, go with the K9 or even the K7/K7 BT since that will also suffice when it comes to powering the three headphones you have. The Q7 offers a more portable/battery-driven experience, which you won't use, as well as the THX amp which may be handy for current-hungry headphones (planar/AMT) and not so much voltage-driven headphones like your dynamic driver trio.

Sancho

Thanks. If i'm right, THX amplifiers are the same in Q7 and K9, so it only comes to sounding comparison in my mind (and pricing, of course).

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks. If i'm right, THX amplifiers are the same in Q7 and K9, so it only comes to sounding comparison in my mind (and pricing, of course).
Yes, I was saying that in case you went with the K7 instead. But otherwise there's no sound difference between K9 and Q7.