• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Launches October 20, Exclusively on PlayStation 5

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Exclusives are bad. They are anti-consumer. It's off topic but EGS has already been judged for their anti-consumer practices by gamers and are an abysmal failure. 4.5 years later with their timed exclusives and barrage of free games they are still not considered anything even approaching a worthy opponent of Steam and EGS is barely profitable. What Sweeney is doing is using profits from selling Fortnite microtransactions to prop up his failed store. That is a warped business model. It's Sweeney's personal grudge against Steam that keeps this farce going. At first it made sense from a new business venture perspective to lose money to try to promote EGS but now it's just sad.

The bottom line is that Sony would make far more money by releasing on both platforms and PC at the same time. Just ask MS. They figured it out. There are tens of billions of dollars to be made by releasing on PC.
Then there would be no reason to buy a PS5. Xbox is so compatible with PC because Microsoft owns both and saw the number of PC Gamers mushroom during Covid. Since 1999, just like Nintendo before it Sony has created it's own Eco system. I am not happy about it but I do understand and it is not anti consumer. HZD was great and I would love to play the new one but there are plenty of PC Games available that are not on PS5.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Then there would be no reason to buy a PS5. Xbox is so compatible with PC because Microsoft owns both and saw the number of PC Gamers mushroom during Covid. Since 1999, just like Nintendo before it Sony has created it's own Eco system. I am not happy about it but I do understand and it is not anti consumer. HZD was great and I would love to play the new one but there are plenty of PC Games available that are not on PS5.

I have already said that there are reasons to own a console but exclusives shouldn't be one of them.

There shouldn't be PC exclusives either. Any game can be made to run on PC and the latest PS and Xbox consoles.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I have already said that there are reasons to own a console but exclusives shouldn't be one of them.

There shouldn't be PC exclusives either. Any game can be made to run on PC and the latest PS and Xbox consoles.
I am of the position that Exclusives are a part of it and I understand that everything has X86 at it's foundation more today than ever before but the only difference between the PS5 and Xbox1 are exclusives. That is why PS5 outsells Xbox and I still cannot play Gran Turismo anything on PC. There is though that IRacing is a PC only Game. Just be glad that we can get them at some point.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I am pro-consumer and pro-choice. Anything that runs against those two tenets is bad for gaming imo. I have been a PC gamer for decades because the freedom of choice runs in my blood. PC gaming hardware isn't for every gamer though. A lot of gamers like the idea of having a console instead of keeping up with hardware and the price of a console is alluring. Also a lot of gamers don't want to be bothered with tweaking settings for optimal play on whatever their PC hardware might be or could be. A lot of gamers just want to push the "on" button and go. For them a console is the best choice over a PC.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I am pro-consumer and pro-choice.
That's exactly what I said. Your perspective is one-sided. I get where you're coming from, but I still don't agree and I don't see exclusives as a bad thing either, for reasons mentioned, the main and key one being that its a driver for innovation and creativity - and this is a FACT, supported by history, written by Sony itself, as opposed to the lackluster Xbox library in terms of unique content. We would not have had Okami, or Shadow of the Colossus, or a myriad of other unique concepts if it wasn't for Sony's approach to funding and content.

Its also not true that Sony is making less money off their console. You would do well to look at the numbers before those bold statements.

The reason MS is doing what its doing is because they cant be arsed to invest as much as Sony in new IP. They're happier buying up studios and publishers left and right, and then pushing that shit over their cloud services. Nothing in their strategy points at producing great new games, that's just something that also happens alongside a bigger business model.

That difference in approach again is an example of what I pointed out earlier: companies need unique selling points.

push the "on" button and go. For them a console is the best choice over a PC.
This unique selling point doesn't exist anymore, and it hasn't since PS4. Games run crossplatform and are pretty much identical in the entire experience, the only difference being that on a console you don't use a launcher, but you click an icon just the same and then the game might have to update prior to being able to play.

Also, controller support, especially for ports, is perfect. You can couch game on a PC np. This reality actually supports the existence of exclusive content, again, for reasons mentioned.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
That's exactly what I said. Your perspective is one-sided. I get where you're coming from, but I still don't agree and I don't see exclusives as a bad thing either, for reasons mentioned, the main and key one being that its a driver for innovation and creativity - and this is a FACT, supported by history, written by Sony itself, as opposed to the lackluster Xbox library in terms of unique content.

Its also not true that Sony is making less money off their console. You would do well to look at the numbers before those bold statements.

The reason MS is doing what its doing is because they cant be arsed to invest as much as Sony in new IP. They're happier buying up studios and publishers left and right, and then pushing that shit over their cloud services. Nothing in their strategy points at producing great new games, that's just something that also happens alongside a bigger business model.

My statement was that Sony could be making more money if this Spiderman 2 game was releasing on PC and Xbox at the same time. That's not a bold statement. That is common knowledge. Why do you think MS began the trend of dual release on what used to be console exclusives.

If you think that pro-consumer and pro-choice is one sided then we are too far apart on points of view to ever be able to agree.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Exclusives are bad. They are anti-consumer. It's off topic but EGS has already been judged for their anti-consumer practices by gamers and are an abysmal failure. 4.5 years later with their timed exclusives and barrage of free games they are still not considered anything even approaching a worthy opponent of Steam and EGS is barely profitable. What Sweeney is doing is using profits from selling Fortnite microtransactions to prop up his failed store. That is a warped business model. It's Sweeney's personal grudge against Steam that keeps this farce going. At first it made sense from a new business venture perspective to lose money to try to promote EGS but now it's just sad.

The bottom line is that Sony would make far more money by releasing on both platforms and PC at the same time. Just ask MS. They figured it out. There are tens of billions of dollars to be made by releasing on PC.
But Microsoft still doesn't release their exclusive for PlayStation :D. Even on the PC Microsoft is trying to make buy their games from the Xbox store with the gamepass, the common saves between Xbox and PC, and even losing money with "play anywhere" where you only have to buy the game once...as long as you use their store. The PC is part of the Xbox family as far as Microsoft is concerned, the social aspect is even merged.

The simple fact that Sony is releasing their exclusivity with a few years of delay on the PC when they have no ties to it whatsoever is already big, and them buying Nixxes who's only job is to do PC port prove that there's a level of commitment to it...But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Sony is also doing it to get you "hooked" to their universe. Sony will still make PlayStation owners feel special for choosing to join their platform.

But ultimately...It's a just a piece of entertainment, and we don't really have a legal ground to demand that they release their contents everywhere. Not that long ago some games were even locked to a geographical region, there are a lot of games that only Japanese and NA people could enjoy. And to this day there's still other form of entertainment that are locked to a region. That's just how that business works. Japan is also barely getting out of their Galápagos syndrome,(where the west was pretty much an after though) even in the current situation, they have never been as open as they are now.

PlayStation releasing stuff on PC also checks out with them moving their HQ in California, and being run by a westerner. Nintendo is still fully Japanese, so I don't expect them to follow PlayStation strategy.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
That press release.... All i can think of is when Sony were against the Microsoft/Activision buy out because of platform exclusivity when it came to CoD. Meanwhile Sony: "Come play Spider man 2, exclusively on PS5.:)"
Exactly.
Sony, the most double standard, overpriced hypocritic company in the world.

The Digital Deluxe edition of Marvel's Spider-Man 2 ($79.99 / £79.99/ €89.99/ ¥9,980 MSRP)
What 'a shit?! Why is US is 80$, while in EU is 90€ ???
90€=98,3$=14,000¥

Why is always so ridiculously overpriced in EU ??

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
@dyonoctis do you remember those years in the 2000s and early 2010s when it was common to hear gamers making the claim that PC gaming was either dead or was dying? The console exclusive thinking is a holdover from those years. This is a different gaming world today and PC is dominant for very good reasons.

What I see in the near future is Sony slowly crawling out of the morass of that archaic thinking and joining the present reality by doing releases on PC at the same time as their previous PS exclusives release. Probably not in all cases but it will become more common.

The reason is simple business. Money talks and CEOs, Board of Directors and Investors like money.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
My statement was that Sony could be making more money if this Spiderman 2 game was releasing on PC and Xbox at the same time. That's not a bold statement. That is common knowledge. Why do you think MS began the trend of dual release on what used to be console exclusives.

If you think that pro-consumer and pro-choice is one sided then we are too far apart on points of view to ever be able to agree.
That might have worked for Spiderman, but it doesnt work if applied to all content.

Example. on demand video. If Netflix, HBO and Disney all offered the same content and content delivery, how can they compete?

PC titles also dont all get console ports.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
That might have worked for Spiderman, but it doesnt work if applied to all content.

Example. on demand video. If Netflix, HBO and Disney all offered the same content and content delivery, how can they compete?

PC titles also dont all get console ports.

That's not a good example because consoles offer far more than just the same content as I have pointed out in a post above. There will be a place for consoles and a place for PC and an ever expanding place for mobile games. It should be obvious by now which Platform will be dominant, excluding Mobile, and why Sony will be moving towards increasing what were previously PS exclusive releases at the same time on PC in the future.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That's not a good example because consoles offer far more than just the same content as I have pointed out in a post above. There will be a place for consoles and a place for PC and an ever expanding place for mobile games. It should be obvious by now which Platform will be dominant, excluding Mobile, and why Sony will be moving towards increasing what were previously PS exclusive releases at the same time on PC in the future.
I think part of the reason the PC remains strong is because its experience has actually been moving closer to the console experience. But I recognize the points you made up there nonetheless.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Why is always so ridiculously overpriced in EU ??

Im guessing because there are more or higher taxes involved.... which is rather ironic as a lot of governments keeps giving them tax breaks, rebates and other things that revolve around the passing around of money to have a HQ with people employed in their respective countries.

Hammerman

Massive red flag saying exclusives are bad.

Exclusivity encourages competition and innovation. Things these tech giants are massively under-performing on compared to over a decade ago. They all struggle to launch their own original ideas. Instead relying on M&A without fixing themselves up.

People need to step outside the bubble of these big tech companies. They are aggressively anti competition/capitalism and anti democracy. Don't accept their words at face value.