• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SOLVED] 13900HX only getting 1600 single core on Cinebench R23. Any ideas?

Hello everyone, my 13900HX Lenovo Legion Y9000P only gets 1600 single core score in Cinebench R23 (supposedly it should get 2000). I've left everything on default, it's not thermal throttling as per HWiNFO, and max core speed achieved is 5.4 GHz as is Intel's spec.

Can I play around with ThrottleStop 9.6 to achieve that desired 2k score?

Update, it was throttling. I repasted with liquid metal and it dropped from 4.5 ghz 100C throttling to 5 ghz 95C no throttling (both all-core cinebench).

HOWEVER, single core is still 1600. HWiNFO says effective clocks are ~4 ghz. Any ideas guys?

Clearly, it can reach 5 ghz all core to achieve CB r23 19k score with e cores disabled, so how come the single core sucks?

Last edited:
System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16in 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
Can you return in

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
HWiNFO says effective clocks are ~4 ghz.
The HWiNFO effective clock data is somewhat meaningful when each core of a CPU is 100% loaded. Other than that, I would ignore this data. It means nothing when running a single thread Cinebench test.

only gets 1600 single core score in Cinebench R23
Enable your E cores in the BIOS when testing.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option when running a single core Cinebench test. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop and attach a log file so I can have a look. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots so I can see the settings that your CPU is using.

Is there a way to do this in TS?
The thermal throttling temperature is controlled by the PROCHOT Offset variable which you can access in the ThrottleStop Options window. Set PROCHOT Offset to 0 and this will raise the throttling temperature to the Intel spec of 100°C. With a Lenovo laptop, I would also check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box to prevent this value from changing.

The HWiNFO effective clock data is somewhat meaningful when each core of a CPU is 100% loaded. Other than that, I would ignore this data. It means nothing when running a single thread Cinebench test.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option when running a single core Cinebench test. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop and attach a log file so I can have a look. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots so I can see the settings that your CPU is using.

The thermal throttling temperature is controlled by the PROCHOT Offset variable which you can access in the ThrottleStop Options window. Set PROCHOT Offset to 0 and this will raise the throttling temperature to the Intel spec of 100°C. With a Lenovo laptop, I would also check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box to prevent this value from changing.
Got it, enabling E cores, will do the testing and report back. Will enable offset too. Thanks so much.

1687189464050.png
1687189465695.png
1687189467346.png
1687189469063.png

Here you go, with e-cores enabled I get this score. Almost 2k. Silicon Lottery?

Forgot about the logs, hold on.

1687190549922.png
1687190872000.png

I guess enabling e-cores fixed it. How, I do not know.

Attachments

• 2023-06-19.txt
    258.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

unclewebb

Turn off More Data when logging data. It just creates 8 times as much data for a person to look at.

1879 is a lot better score than the 1600 score that you claimed in your thread title. Maybe enabling the E cores in the BIOS helped the cause and made your scores more comparable to other scores on the internet.

A little higher is still possible. Most people with lower benchmark scores compared to everyone else have more useless apps running in the background compared to everyone else.

Set IccMax for the P core and the P cache to the max, 511.75.

Turn off More Data when logging data. It just creates 8 times as much data for a person to look at.

1879 is a lot better score than the 1600 score that you claimed in your thread title. Maybe enabling the E cores in the BIOS helped the cause and made your scores more comparable to other scores on the internet.

A little higher is still possible. Most people with lower benchmark scores compared to everyone else have more useless apps running in the background compared to everyone else.

1600 I got before enabling e cores.

Got it, sorry. What does IccMax do? Will benchmark again.

Doing that let me reach 205W all while not throttling. Interesting. 33.5k cinebench r23 multicore.

Testing single core now.
1687191597590.png

Last edited:

unclewebb

What does IccMax do?
IccMax controls the maximum amount of current going to the processor. When IccMax is set too low, this can cause EDP throttling. I would also set Power Limit 4 to either a value of 0 or set this to the max which is usually 1023. You have a high performance computer. No reason to throttle it. I would also clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window to prevent TVB throttling.

Last edited:
I guess that's all good and set, throttling is gone with liquid metal and an undervolt, 33.5k CBr23 Multicore sounds great, and 1883 single core must be good enough. Probably can't have my cake and eat it too?

I don't think there's a way to tell it which core is best to use for single core like in Ryzen. I'm also not achieving any higher than 5.4 GHz single core boost no matter what I do with the multipliers.

Using Lenovo Vantage earlier this evening I got it to go 5.55 GHz by setting the multiplier to 56 using lenovo vantage, but I'd rather stay away from that software as it is barebones. Any idea why TS multipliers aren't in effect?

unclewebb

Any idea why TS multipliers aren't in effect?
There is some code hiding in the MMIO Lock function that might be able to free up the maximum multiplier. Try checking that box and see if it makes any difference.

If that works, I will need to move the maximum multiplier code somewhere else so you will be able to access the maximum multiplier without having to check the MMIO Lock box.

There is some code hiding in the MMIO Lock function that might be able to free up the maximum multiplier. Try checking that box and see if it makes any difference.

If that works, I will need to move the maximum multiplier code somewhere else so you will be able to access the maximum multiplier without having to check the MMIO Lock box.
Hmm, ticking Lock doesn't really do anything. I set all core (core # 1 thru 8) to 56, and it was still maxing out at 5.4 GHz. Turbo time is unli, power limit is 200w for PL1 and 2.

Nevermind, after a sleep and resume it worked. Crashed my system tho. Will try 56 multiplier with no undervolt.

unclewebb

Crashed my system tho.
Some users with 13900HX laptops have had trouble using the MMIO Lock feature. There seems to be a conflict with some Intel and Lenovo drivers during sleep resume when MMIO Lock is checked. That is why I was thinking it would be best to move the maximum multiplier code somewhere else so you can use this feature without being forced to also use MMIO Lock.

Some users with 13900HX laptops have had trouble using the MMIO Lock feature. There seems to be a conflict with some Intel and Lenovo drivers during sleep resume when MMIO Lock is checked. That is why I was thinking it would be best to move the maximum multiplier code somewhere else so you can use this feature without being forced to also use MMIO Lock.
I never sleep my laptop anyway, just did it cuz TS told me to. I only ever shut down or leave on.

So far so good, I'm at 5.6 GHz, and without the undervolt it's stable.

Bingo, basically 2k score, I am happy now. I have no need for multicore as I just game.
1687194429658.png

1687194423055.png

Attachments

• 1687194353448.png
    1687194353448.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:

unclewebb

basically 2k score
It would be interesting to see if that score drops if you disable the E cores in the BIOS. Windows should be scheduling a single thread Cinebench test on one of the P cores so in theory, it should not make any difference whether the E cores are enabled or not. Maybe it does make a difference. Maybe something else was holding back your single core benchmark scores.

I am happy now.
Good to hear. That is always the goal.

Thanks for the feedback. That helps me understand what parts of ThrottleStop work as intended and what parts might need a minor tweak or two.

image.jpg

Final settings maybe? Just testing for stability now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 121

unclewebb

Manufacturers need to come up with some creative thinking and creative cooling solutions to keep Intel's supposedly mobile 300W CPUs from having a meltdown.

I would go back to doing some undervolting. Somewhere between -50 mV to -100 mV for the P core and P Cache might be OK. Reducing your turbo ratios might allow you to get away with a larger undervolt and a more useable system overall. Kind of sad that 190W is only good enough for 4.3 GHz.

Manufacturers need to come up with some creative thinking and creative cooling solutions to keep Intel's supposedly mobile 300W CPUs from having a meltdown.

I would go back to doing some undervolting. Somewhere between -50 mV to -100 mV for the P core and P Cache might be OK. Reducing your turbo ratios might allow you to get away with a larger undervolt and a more useable system overall. Kind of sad that 190W is only good enough for 4.3 GHz.
What does pl4 do? Whats the default?

unclewebb

The PL4 default is whatever a manufacturer decides to set this to. I prefer 0 or 1023 to avoid any throttling. Intel hired too many teams of programmers, all working on different throttling schemes. Most of these are not necessary.

I am old school. I can only understand throttling when a CPU is too hot.

The PL4 default is whatever a manufacturer decides to set this to. I prefer 0 or 1023 to avoid any throttling. Intel hired too many teams of programmers, all working on different throttling schemes. Most of these are not necessary.

I am old school. I can only understand throttling when a CPU is too hot.
Okay so, multicore 30 min test results in it being limited to 190w (power limited by me) as expected, but then it has these 250w bursts for some reasons. I think it's tied to PL4. It didn't do that before we touched PL4.

unclewebb

it has these 250w bursts for some reasons
Did you check both Clamp boxes in the Power limits section?

If you have the PL2 power limit set to 300W then yes, it will be able to jump up to 250W for short periods of time. If you do not want that happening, do not set PL2 to 300W.

300W for any length of time seems kind of excessive for most laptops.

Did you check both Clamp boxes in the Power limits section?

If you have the PL2 power limit set to 300W then yes, it will be able to jump up to 250W for short periods of time. If you do not want that happening, do not set PL2 to 300W.

300W for any length of time seems kind of excessive for most laptops.
I left both clamps unclamped. I set PL2 time limit to 1s, so I don't understand after that time has elapsed why it would go back to seeing as though PL2 is still available.

Also, the MMIO lock trick seems to only work when I sleep and resume then laptop. Multipliers are locked upon cold reboot/warm reboot.

System Name Gaming Workstation | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Gen8
Processor Intel Core i9-13900K | i9-13900HX
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E | Lenovo HM770
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 5600 CL28 | 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600 CL46
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (MSI Gaming Trio) | RTX 4090 Laptop GPU
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro + 2x 2 TB 980 Pro + 3 TB SATA SSDs | 1TB 980 PRO OEM + 2TB 980 PRO
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 3440x1440 175 Hz | Lenovo 16" 2560x1600 240 Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Chassis
Power Supply EVGA T2 1600W | Lenovo 330W GaN Charger
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard CMStorm QuickFire Mechanical
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (Virtual Desktop)
These Lenovo machines (and some other OEMs) include drivers that gimp performance for some reason. Here's how to disable them,

1. Open regedit
  2. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPIVPC
  3. Change the value of Start to 4 (which is Disabled). Take note of the original value if you wish to revert it later.
  4. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ipf_cpu
  5. Change the value of Start to 4 (which is Disabled). Take note of the original value if you wish to revert it later.
  6. Restart your PC.
  7. Go into BIOS and change "Performance Mode Setting" to Extreme to prevent the EC from overriding the PL1/PL2 settings.
  8. Open HWInfo and monitor the CPU and GPU power usage and available power limits. Make sure the CPU is able to pull PL1 140 / PL2 190

Vantage also has a bunch of background processes that can mess with your single thread performance. You can download Legion Toolkit from Github and use the in-app options to Disable Vantage Service and Hotkeys (Toolkit can replace that functionality).

You don't need to use Lock MMIO after you do these tweaks and avoid the weird freezes on reboot/resume from sleep.

Also if you are using *Custom* performance profile, use *Performance* instead as Custom introduces some weird stuttering that occurs frequently.

Amazing, this one simple trick improved my CPU single and multi-core performance by another ~5% on top of already great performance. Nice.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Multipliers are locked upon cold reboot/warm reboot.
Try checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Set Speed Shift Max to the max so it does not interfere with the maximum multiplier.

If that does not solve the max multiplier issue then I am not sure. There might be some conflict between ThrottleStop and the Lenovo software you are running. I will probably not be able to solve this mystery until I buy some new 13th Gen hardware.

Edit - Perhaps your AVX Offset setting is part of the problem. Set that to 0 when testing.

Amazing, this one simple trick improved my CPU single and multi-core performance by ~5%. Nice.
That is a nice free performance boost. Less throttling is always a good thing.

System Name Gaming Workstation | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Gen8
Processor Intel Core i9-13900K | i9-13900HX
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E | Lenovo HM770
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 5600 CL28 | 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600 CL46
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (MSI Gaming Trio) | RTX 4090 Laptop GPU
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro + 2x 2 TB 980 Pro + 3 TB SATA SSDs | 1TB 980 PRO OEM + 2TB 980 PRO
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 3440x1440 175 Hz | Lenovo 16" 2560x1600 240 Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow | Lenovo Legion 7i Pro Chassis
Power Supply EVGA T2 1600W | Lenovo 330W GaN Charger
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard CMStorm QuickFire Mechanical
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (Virtual Desktop)
@carlos1172 My single core performance is normal here...

Screenshot 2023-06-19 183318.png

US version of your laptop. I did the above tweaks I mentioned plus -125 mV undervolt on CPU P cores and P cache, and what unclewebb mentioned with IccMax maxed out. BIOS version is kwcn35ww.

My multi-core score is on the low side because it's from a 10 minute run, not a quick single run.

Try checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. Set Speed Shift Max to the max so it does not interfere with the maximum multiplier.

If that does not solve the max multiplier issue then I am not sure. There might be some conflict between ThrottleStop and the Lenovo software you are running. I will probably not be able to solve this mystery until I buy some new 13th Gen hardware.

Edit - Perhaps your AVX Offset setting is part of the problem. Set that to 0 when testing.

That is a nice free performance boost. Less throttling is always a good thing.
Speed Shift Max should be 0 or 255?
Is this okay?
1687225469783.png

I shall attempt to fully disable the Lenovo software.

These Lenovo machines (and some other OEMs) include drivers that gimp performance for some reason. Here's how to disable them,

1. Open regedit
  2. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPIVPC
  3. Change the value of Start to 4 (which is Disabled). Take note of the original value if you wish to revert it later.
  4. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ipf_cpu
  5. Change the value of Start to 4 (which is Disabled). Take note of the original value if you wish to revert it later.
  6. Restart your PC.
  7. Go into BIOS and change "Performance Mode Setting" to Extreme to prevent the EC from overriding the PL1/PL2 settings.
  8. Open HWInfo and monitor the CPU and GPU power usage and available power limits. Make sure the CPU is able to pull PL1 140 / PL2 190

Vantage also has a bunch of background processes that can mess with your single thread performance. You can download Legion Toolkit from Github and use the in-app options to Disable Vantage Service and Hotkeys (Toolkit can replace that functionality).

You don't need to use Lock MMIO after you do these tweaks and avoid the weird freezes on reboot/resume from sleep.

Also if you are using *Custom* performance profile, use *Performance* instead as Custom introduces some weird stuttering that occurs frequently.

Amazing, this one simple trick improved my CPU single and multi-core performance by another ~5% on top of already great performance. Nice.
Is it safe to use 82WK drivers for my Y9000P IRX8 device? Nevermind, tried installing bios via Legion Toolkit. Says I'm already using said bios.

Last edited: