• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Legion Go Handheld Leaks Powered by AMD Ryzen Z1 APU

2560×1600 (16:10) screen

That wasn't very smart, at this size you're not able to benefit from the increased resolution but it will be much harder to run at a decent fps and waste more power (both gpu and to drive the panel itself).

In my opinion smart play will be to run games at half res (1280x800 - same as steam deck btw) for higher fps and less power consumption

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
That wasn't very smart, at this size you're not able to benefit from the increased resolution but it will be much harder to run at a decent fps and waste more power (both gpu and to drive the panel itself).

In my opinion smart play will be to run games at half res (1280x800 - same as steam deck btw) for higher fps and less power consumption
I think that's the plan.
High pixel density displays are a very good match for well implemented temporal reconstruction methods. FSR2 at 2560×1600 in performance mode renders at 1280×800 internaly. Most of the artifacts from that agressive reconstruction mode will probably be unnoticeable at that pixel density, so it's pretty much "free" detail with little setbacks.

In my ROG Ally's 1080p screen in Baldur's Gate 3 I think even FSR1 Balanced (1/3rd resolution, 635p) looks pretty okay, as long as I keep TAA on.

System Name Custom
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X 3D
Motherboard Asus Prime
Cooling Li Lian All in One RGB
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Display(s) Samsung 8K 85inch
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Samsung Dolby Atmos 7.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W Power Supply

2560×1600 (16:10) screen, 7500MT/s memory confirmed. Still hoping for that to be a VRR panel.

The switch OLED uses the GPU equivalent of a modern mid/low-end smartphone. It does 200GFLOPs in handheld mode. The 780M is some 15x faster at 15W on a much more efficient architecture and it can't run many of the latest AAA games without bringing the settings down.
You're just further proving my point.

Handheld makers and AMD are focusing on providing a handheld AAA experience with 1-3h battery life, and people who want more than that are free to use powerbanks or just plug it to the wall.

Also, there's a possibility AMD can't do sub-10W APUs due to a non-compete over Samsung's Xclipse deal.
No, I'm not proving your point. You are just giving yourself a strawman to knockdown. You are the only one to mention the 780m and making up a discussion based on your "Facts" about it. I am discussing advancements in APUs over the last 5 years in regard to battery size and gpu efficiently vs power. Yet you keep wasting your time and mine ignoring the rapid pace of advancements to APUs that make the Steam Deck and ROG Ally possible. Are you not aware of the larger batteries that have now become available that are 60 watts instead of the standard 40-45 watts used in the previously mentioned handhelds? Do you assume a RDNA 4 based APU in the next year or 2 won't be able to offer more graphical performance for the same or less power consumption? The fact that you don't think that generational efficiency improvements can not happen while commenting on a site called TechPowerup is both heartbreaking and hilarious.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
No, I'm not proving your point. You are just giving yourself a strawman to knockdown. You are the only one to mention the 780m and making up a discussion based on your "Facts" about it. I am discussing advancements in APUs over the last 5 years in regard to battery size and gpu efficiently vs power. Yet you keep wasting your time and mine ignoring the rapid pace of advancements to APUs that make the Steam Deck and ROG Ally possible. Are you not aware of the larger batteries that have now become available that are 60 watts instead of the standard 40-45 watts used in the previously mentioned handhelds? Do you assume a RDNA 4 based APU in the next year or 2 won't be able to offer more graphical performance for the same or less power consumption? The fact that you don't think that generational efficiency improvements can not happen while commenting on a site called TechPowerup is both heartbreaking and hilarious.
Power density hasn't really gone up in end user devices. 60W.h batteries are still 50% larger and heavier than 40W.h ones.

As for the rest, I've been trying to explain that while performance per watt has been increasing on AMD APUs, this has translated into more performance at the same power, not equal performance at lower power. Looking at their current roadmap, the same is to be expected within the next 2 or more years, with Strix Point.
This is how AMD has been tweaking their ideal voltage/clock curves. Below and above those curves their APUs lose power/performance efficiency, and that's why the ROG Ally (15-30W APU) even loses in performance against the Steam Deck (5-15W APU) when both are running at 10W TDP, despite the former using significantly more advanced tech (4nm vs 7nm, Zen4 vs Zen2, etc). Their current deal with Samsung probably prevents them from making an APU optimized for ULV (5W and below).

This is as direct and simple as I'm able to explain why your 6h battery life handheld fantasy isn't coming to fruition anytime soon. I'm sorry that I can't pass a message that you can understand.

System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Power density hasn't really gone up in end user devices. 60W.h batteries are still 50% larger and heavier than 40W.h ones.

As for the rest, I've been trying to explain that while performance per watt has been increasing on AMD APUs, this has translated into more performance at the same power, not equal performance at lower power. Looking at their current roadmap, the same is to be expected within the next 2 or more years, with Strix Point.
This is how AMD has been tweaking their ideal voltage/clock curves. Below and above those curves their APUs lose power/performance efficiency, and that's why the ROG Ally (15-30W APU) even loses in performance against the Steam Deck (5-15W APU) when both are running at 10W TDP, despite the former using significantly more advanced tech (4nm vs 7nm, Zen4 vs Zen2, etc). Their current deal with Samsung probably prevents them from making an APU optimized for ULV (5W and below).

This is as direct and simple as I'm able to explain why your 6h battery life handheld fantasy isn't coming to fruition anytime soon. I'm sorry that I can't pass a message that you can understand.
Yeah at this point you are trying to predict the future and screaming into the wind...

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Yeah at this point you are trying to predict the future and screaming into the wind...
I've been talking about known products in the roadmap with their TDPs known which are already present in the Linux driver patches.

System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
I love how well this has aged less than a year later with the Rog Ally X and its 80 watt battery less than a year later, and even before Strix Point has come out. Now we are up to about 3.5 to 4.5 hours of battery life. Within a year we should be nearing a 100 watt battery and a more efficient APU.