• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seeking Recommendations for Gigabit Router

System Name Soo-Fancy
Processor Intel Core i-5-4690K @ 3.5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Ultra Durable Black Edition
Memory 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX AMD RX 480 8GB 1338Mhz Black Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
Display(s) 2 x ASUS MS238H 23" Widescreen HD Slim Backlit LED
Case CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro
Power Supply EVGA Superova 850 watt Platinum
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Cooler Master CK530
Software Windows Home 10, 64 bit
It has finally happened - my $5 yard sale gigabit router has died. Or at least it's dropping coverage left and right and my wired gigabit connection is getting speeds that are just absolutely ridiculously slow (90-400mbps) through the router.

I have gigabit fiber service to my home and I have a few requirements that a router needs to meet. I'm hoping I can get some recommendations on routers that will meet all of my needs because honestly it's just kind of overwhelming with everything that's available out there right now, plus I'm finding that many websites don't specifically list the information I need to know and must have to set up my network the same as it is currently. I'm change adverse - and setting up all my smart devices again is a big no.

Things I need the router to do are:

1. Have separate SSIDs for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. This is a MUST. My smart home devices will not work if they are not totally seperate SSIDs with different names.

2. Have a guest network. This is a bonus but a strong preference.

3. Get 1000mbps throughput on the wired ethernet connection. This is absolutely necessary. I don't use wireless on my primary device: my ethernet connection needs to be perfect gigabit.

4. Get minimally 300mbps on the wireless connections (preferably more, but gigabit isn't necessary on wifi).

5. Handle the 2.4Ghz traffic/congestion from the numerous smart bulbs, cameras, doorbells, speakers and so forth and not create lag in any of the device connections. This is important because a doorbell isn't very helpful if it rings after the person has given up and left or the smoke detector doesn't alert me until after the place has burned down.

My apartment is a one bedroom, probably 800 square feet or less size place, and I have a small outdoor space that is just outside the room that I would have the router placed in, so I only need the coverage to extend maybe 50 feet, 1 room is going to need coverage through 2 walls. Being able to adjust/lower signal strength so it's not broadcasting to the whole neighborhood would be a bonus.

Please tell me what you're using if you have the same set up and needs. I've been using ASUS routers, and certainly like their interface, but open to other brands. Would like to keep it inside a responsible budget (under $300, but the lower the better if it gets the job done). Of course I'm open to the idea that my budget is unreasonable and I might have to sacrifice other things to afford a new router that does the things I need.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Get minimally 300mbps on the wireless connections (preferably more, but gigabit isn't necessary on wifi).
You can easily get that on the 5Ghz and up bands, can be a struggle on the 2.4Ghz band though do to the low lane quantity and congestion.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I prefer the ugly routers, the ones that look like spiders and crabs.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name Soo-Fancy
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
You can easily get that on the 5Ghz and up bands, can be a struggle on the 2.4Ghz band though do to the low lane quantity and congestion.
Unfortunately, the devices are designed to only work on 2.4GHz so there's nothing I can do about that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Unfortunately, the devices are designed to only work on 2.4GHz so there's nothing I can do about that.
You'll likely get 300mbps at short ranges but getting high speed 2.4ghz working is unfortunately, hit and miss. A lot of it depends on your rf environment.

System Name Soo-Fancy
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
I prefer the ugly routers, the ones that look like spiders and crabs.
I would prefer that it has antennas that can rotate down minimally because it really needs to fit under my desk on top of my tower PC which gives about 6 inches of space max for it to wedge into. I can find another spot, but that's probably going to be on top of the Klipsch speaker and bouncy.

You'll likely get 300mbps at short ranges but getting high speed 2.4ghz working is unfortunately, hit and miss. A lot of it depends on your rf environment.
Luckily it all is extremely short-range - my whole apartment is 30 feet max both wide and deep. All the devices are within 25 feet of the router. Actually, reassessing, I think all except 1 lightbulb are less than 20 feet from the router.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Have separate SSIDs for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. This is a MUST. My smart home devices will not work if they are not totally seperate SSIDs with different names.
I am not saying you are wrong, but I have a hard time believing this. I have lots of wireless devices (multiple TVs, Roku, cell phones, blue-ray players, laptops, tablets, cameras, security sensors, etc.) and none require separate SSIDs. In fact, my laptops and tablets require both my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands use the same SSID "if" I want them to automatically select the best band, and automatically switch, if necessary, as I move about the house.

It sounds more like you have a menu option/configuration setting issue.

I would prefer that it has antennas that can rotate down minimally because it really needs to fit under my desk on top of my tower PC
That is far from ideal. The very purpose for having antennas you can reorient is so you can reorient them for the best RF propagation. And that is dependent on the router's location, the wireless device's location, and potential points of interference or signal blockages in between those devices.

Also, sitting a router on top of another electronics device (notably the PCs switching PSU - but other components too) is just asking for EMI/RFI issues.

You need to figure out a better place to sit your router, and maybe even look for one with detachable antennas that you can mount up high.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
^^what Bill said^^ :D

But anyways, I have had excellent luck with several mid-upper range Netgear routers that I have bought over the past 6 years or so....but there are several other good brands out there too.

However, if you value your sanity, stay far, far away from Toilet Paper's stuff...which is IMHO, bottom barrel, crapozoidy garbaggio :D

Last edited:
System Name RyZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000MHz CL30
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage 2 x Samsung 970Evo+ (500GB + 2TB) & SATA 850 Pro 1TB
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q IPS G-Sync 165Hz
Case Phanteks P600S White + 3 x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax
Audio Device(s) Edifier r1280t & HiFiMan HE400se @ FiiO New K3
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000W Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 Silver
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/25161355
finally got 1Gbit fiber to my home too, and went with https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX86U-Extendable-Forwarding-Subscription-Free/dp/B0BQ417K47
meets all my requirements and should meet all yours too.
downloading @ 100MB/s atm with no problems

ntwk.jpg

System Name Soo-Fancy
Storage Samsung 840 Pro
Well, I temporarily rented a router from my ISP, and I have to say that after briefly learning the interface, I have another MUST-HAVE: The network map of all my devices in the UI needs to be editable so I can identify devices on the map by a name/alias I assign, not MAC address. I am not impressed with this Calix GigaSpire BLAST U6 that the ISP is providing. Another little irritation is that the default wireless network is a fancy new wifi 6 new-fangled dohickie that my phones can't even use. They get terrible speeds on it, of like 60/50mbps and 53/49mbps, and you can't change anything except the SSID and type of security key. I was able to make both a "guest" network for my own use with both 2.4ghz/5ghz that gets 710/270mbps and 640/200mbps, and a secondary 5ghz only "guest" network that doesn't put any strain on my crowded 2.4ghz frequency but which also gets similar speeds. I'm sure it's just that all my devices are too old to make use of the wifi 6/MU-MIMO technology on that network (my phones only have a single antenna), but it's good to know that it would have been a frustrating waste of my money to buy a router similar to this one only to not be able to use all the newest features it boasts. I'm sure some of the Alexa devices I have running probably can use it, but I don't think I need a major upgrade just to have my doorbell be a little snappier.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have a hard time believing this. It sounds more like you have a menu option/configuration setting issue.
That's what I get for buying the bottom of the barrel in smart bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/DAYBETTER-Changing-Compatible-Assistant-Multicolor/dp/B096TQWWKW/ will not function if they feel the 5ghz touching them during set-up, and set-up occurs OFTEN as they forget to stay connected pretty regularly: "If your wifi is dual band...you need to connect to the 2.4G only to complete setup. It has to be on the same 2.4G wifi to sync and register."
That is far from ideal. The very purpose for having antennas you can reorient is so you can reorient them for the best RF propagation. And that is dependent on the router's location, the wireless device's location, and potential points of interference or signal blockages in between those devices.

Also, sitting a router on top of another electronics device (notably the PCs switching PSU - but other components too) is just asking for EMI/RFI issues.

You need to figure out a better place to sit your router, and maybe even look for one with detachable antennas that you can mount up high.
Did I forget to say it shares the top of the PC tower with the line conditioner, which sits there click-clicking right beside the router every time the wind blows? :rolleyes::laugh:
Yeah, I will try to find a better location for the new router. I'm thinking the subwoofer is a marginal improvement, so that's where the loaner is now. If I didn't rent in an apartment with brittle plaster walls, I could do normal things like put up shelves.