• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kioxia and Western Digital Could Announce Merger This Month

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
According to Kyodo News, Japanese chip manufacturer Kioxia and its U.S. counterpart Western Digital are reportedly on the verge of finalizing a merger agreement, aiming to create the world's largest producer of memory chips. The merger plan involves establishing a holding company to consolidate their operations for producing NAND flash memory chips, with the announcement reportedly coming this month. The merged entity is expected to be listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange in the United States. As the global semiconductor market contends with competitive pressures and fluctuating demand, the merger is seen as a strategic move to enhance the combined market position of both companies.

Western Digital shareholders are anticipated to hold a majority stake in the new entity, with Kioxia's shareholders, including Toshiba Corporation, owning the remaining stake. The move is poised to give the newly formed company a combined market share of 35.4 percent in NAND memory chips as of March, surpassing South Korea's Samsung, the current leader, with 34.3 percent. However, the merger's ultimate approval hinges on regulators' decisions, including those in China, as semiconductors have become increasingly integral to global economic security. Major Japanese banks, including MUFG Bank and the state-backed Development Bank of Japan, are contemplating loans of up to approximately 1.9 trillion yen (about $12.7 billion) to facilitate the merger.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Ah yes, exactly what the industry needs.

Especially this particular industry, which is rife with price fixing and other nonsense.

Yes, I know that WD/SanDisk uses Kioxia NAND in their drives. Why don't they just buy out Phison while they're at it as well? /s

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't like what this means for the spinning rust division of WD, since it looks like WD is the financially-struggling party here and Kioxia is the dominant stakeholder in this merger; I still rely on spinning rust - a typical deployment for me is over 100TB, and 5-10TB of SSDs just make up the cache for those storage arrays.

If you want spinning rust your choices these days are Toshiba, WD, and Seagate - losing one of those would be bad for the industry as a whole. Less competition means worse pricing and less incentive for progress.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Regulators need to wake up, competition is the lifeblood of capitalism. We are already seeing issues in the U.S. in food, toiletries, general household goods. Rampant inflation because there is little to no competition. Profiteering on a whole new level.

WD is struggling because they flushed their reputation down the toilet in the name of greed. The SMR in WD Reds was the start, they just keep piling on it. Red drives throwing warnings automatically after 3 years in service. Bait and switch SSDs. What is the latest, the Sandisk external SSD failure fiasco. No sooner do they settle a class suit then the next one is filed.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Regulators need to wake up, competition is the lifeblood of capitalism. We are already seeing issues in the U.S. in food, toiletries, general household goods. Rampant inflation because there is little to no competition. Profiteering on a whole new level.

WD is struggling because they flushed their reputation down the toilet in the name of greed. The SMR in WD Reds was the start, they just keep piling on it. Red drives throwing warnings automatically after 3 years in service. Bait and switch SSDs. What is the latest, the Sandisk external SSD failure fiasco. No sooner do they settle a class suit then the next one is filed.
I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the rampant inflation comes from us printing 50% of our existing currency within 18 months and doling out cheap debt for the last 30 years FINALLY coming to a head.

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
WD already owns SanDisk though....
And Hitachi. Now they are best HD drives WD has. How come?

Yes, I get that Toshiba is broke and being sold to other companies. But IMO, Kioxia better to be sold to some other Japanese companies, rather than these "pioneers" of storage.

Well, when it's partnership between companies, it means more or less benefits both of them. When it's buyout, this means one would dominate over other. Simple as that. There won't be any recognitions of Kioxia/Toshiba, as the inventor of SSD. Just the badge of worst storage brand one could only imagine (ofc Seagate as well). As soon as Kioxia will become absorbed, I somehow am sure that the quality of production will become absolute crap. IMO Not to mention the pricing. Now only parent company (WD) will set the numbers. Everyone will pay "premium" tax for their name. This is Asus of storage.

Back in the day, the dozens of thousands were used in SI I was working in. And ... the WD was the worst. Absolute garbage. Hot, and loud and vibrating as a hammer drill. Not to mention that it was failing even more than Seagate. The best were Samsung, the coolest and the quietest, and least defective. And of course Hitachi, a bit more hot, but as reliable and almost as silent.

Then, more than a decade passed, and thought, things might be turned to better. Until couple years ago one guy told me he bought PC with WD in it, and it was literally destroing his table, being used with in quality case with rubber insulators. He just bought himself an M.2.

So... considering so big outcry about Seagate as well, I think something is never being changed for good. I strongly doubt WD is even honest with their SSD product line. WD is only good, while Toshiba/Kioxia made chips for them. This is horrific company, and people praise them, just because they have no choice. Since WD already "consolidated" so many companies, and their product failure, and lack of responsibility is just astounding. Somehow, WD still recognised as "premium" brand, except their pricing.

Last edited:
System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
Noooo. I know that this has been a long time coming but I still had some hope that some regulator (maybe China) would stop it. I do not want WD to get their grubby paws on Kioxia.

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the rampant inflation comes from us printing 50% of our existing currency within 18 months and doling out cheap debt for the last 30 years FINALLY coming to a head.
No, this wave of inflation was caused by reduced production during pandemic, increased spending because everyone was locked up at home and got free government money while not having to pay rent nor student debt.(US)

demand exploded while production went down.
this is what caused the recent massive wave of inflation.
(the rest of the world is can be summed up by “global politics”)

what made it worse and massively so is exactly total lack of competition for basic goods.
And especially those big vertically integrated companies being able to use what ever they want as excuse to raise prices and never lower them as there is nothing that would force them down.

Japan is a prime example of government debt not causing inflation. It doesn’t.

Anyway, this merger is bad, and I hope the global political turmoil motivates China to start its own spinning rust company for storage to have some competition as weird as that might sound.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
And Hitachi. Now they are best HD drives WD has. How come?
  • Hitachi worked out Helium and brought that to market successfully as a zero-downside upgrade for high-capacity drives.
  • Seagate worked out Perpendicular storage and HAMR, both of which have been successfully brought to market. Seagate also invented SMR, and Hitachi were the ones to work out host-managed SMR.
  • Fujitsu (Now Toshiba) brought about Advanced Format 4K sectors. It's not exactly a technological advancement but it was a necessary step and one company had to take the risk first.
  • WD haven't made any notable contributions to magnetic disk technology in the last two decades.
Clearly, WD are the bottom of the intellectual barrel and make progress through acquisitions of actually-competent companies. WD's most notable news articles are infamy for being the first hard drive manufacturer dumb enough to put SMR on a NAS product, sparking a lawsuit against the whole industry for obfuscating which products leveraged SMR. The last "magnetic storage thing" they did that was "good" was to market 10K RPM, short-stroked 2.5" server drives to consumers via a SATA interface, something that is obviously obsolete now, but was actually a decent idea compared to what we were doing beforehand with PCI SCSI adapters. It's hard to call it innovation, but at least WD understand marketing which is probably why they've outlasted Quantum, Maxtor, IBM, Conner, Fujitsu, and Samsung, to name a few of the fallen giants.

• Hitachi worked out Helium and brought that to market successfully as a zero-downside upgrade for high-capacity drives.
  • Seagate worked out Perpendicular storage and HAMR, both of which have been successfully brought to market. Seagate also invented SMR, and Hitachi were the ones to work out host-managed SMR.
  • Fujitsu (Now Toshiba) brought about Advanced Format 4K sectors. It's not exactly a technological advancement but it was a necessary step and one company had to take the risk first.
  • WD haven't made any notable contributions to magnetic disk technology in the last two decades.
Clearly, WD are the bottom of the intellectual barrel and make progress through acquisitions of actually-competent companies. WD's most notable news articles are infamy for being the first hard drive manufacturer dumb enough to put SMR on a NAS product, sparking a lawsuit against the whole industry for obfuscating which products leveraged SMR. The last "magnetic storage thing" they did that was "good" was to market 10K RPM, short-stroked 2.5" server drives to consumers via a SATA interface, something that is obviously obsolete now, but was actually a decent idea compared to what we were doing beforehand with PCI SCSI adapters. It's hard to call it innovation, but at least WD understand marketing which is probably why they've outlasted Quantum, Maxtor, IBM, Conner, Fujitsu, and Samsung, to name a few of the fallen giants.
Do they still need marketing for magnetic storage?
those that need it just need it

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
those that need it just need it
Which is exactly why it would suck if WD collapsed, or was wound down as part of this merger.
Those that 'just need it' are a captive audience and when it becomes a duopoly prices go up for no other reason than a reduction of competition in the market.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Unless NAND has hideous yield's it doesnt need rocket science to guess margins are lower on spindles.

Just look at what is been produced.

A HDD has multiple spinning spindles, a head, as well as a chipset, cache, air sealed heavy thick casing and finally the motor.

A SSD in M.2 form doesnt even have the old cheap SATA casing, can be dramless, no moving parts, much lower storage costs due to size, much lower transport costs due to size and weight, cheaper packaging.

Unless NAND has hideous yield's it doesnt need rocket science to guess margins are lower on spindles.

Just look at what is been produced.

A HDD has multiple spinning spindles, a head, as well as a chipset, cache, air sealed heavy thick casing and finally the motor.

A SSD in M.2 form doesnt even have the old cheap SATA casing, can be dramless, no moving parts, much lower storage costs due to size, much lower transport costs due to size and weight, cheaper packaging.
But for some reason I can get 20tb for a couple of hundred in spinning rust but 20tb in ssd will cost me thousands

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
But for some reason I can get 20tb for a couple of hundred in spinning rust but 20tb in ssd will cost me thousands
As I said, margins.

SSDs can command a premium.