• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Thermal Interface Material thread

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Maybe someone should just weld the cooler to the CPU... :D

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
Neither thermal grizzly nor arctic give out thermal conductivity values for their traditional pastes afaik
I also found that PTM stuff with "only" 8.5W/mK performs better than the pastes that i had with 15+W/mK for example (to be fair difference is quite small, ~2°C but it's there)
We where talking about low end pastes, which do give the details, all of 3.3w/mk....

Since grizzly doesn't give the specs specifically, doesn't mean it's bad paste or has a low w/mk rating. Cause you will tell the difference from 3.3 to 8 and more so 3.3 to 12+.

Silicon - solder - copper - TIM - copper - water - aluminum/copper - air.

My point in another post, thermal interface material is the slow down point.

Lapped cpu and cooler with LM for a long term setup should be most desired in my opinion.

System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" `1080p 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
KryoSheet doesn't work for me, 100 degrees after a few seconds. Looks like there is no contact, it's too thin for my subpar Dell cooler. There is only a 0.2mm version, I can't even choose a thicker version. I tried EC360 Graphite which is even thinner with the same bad result. I think it's not worth the hassle on an uneven laptop cooler or subpar cooler in general, PTM7950 does the job.

That's why many pastes doesn't work great either on my laptop. Some pastes can fill out bigger gaps, lower viscous pastes have no chance. I have read DOWSIL TC-5888 can fill gaps of up to 0.5mm.

Thermal Hero has some Graphite pads listed with a thickness of 0.3mm, maybe I will try this out next year.
This is going to sound like an expensive and stupid idea (I have no clue if it's worth even trying, might have to ask de8auer and see what he thinks) but maybe 2-3 sheets stacked might be viable/effective (albeit pricey)

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
SYY-157.. real tough to beat.. one of if not the best I have used.. 15.7 w/mk for the jaded ones :D

And yeah.. I know what Toms says :rolleyes:

:laugh:

They would use the same standard of testing that would be used for any other tested material out there. Why would it need to be different with thermal paste? Please explain.
That's the thing, there is no consensus on what testing parameters to use, nor do any of the manufacturers publish how they do their testing. Same issue with airflow (CFM) and noise (dba) claims manufacturers make exists with fans.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Well.. I could just as easily say that I do not use my fans as reviewers test them. I actually let them move air. No better way to test TIM yourself than by throwing a few hunnit watts at it and see what it does. Pretty easy.

Well.. I could just as easily say that I do not use my fans as reviewers test them. I actually let them move air. No better way to test TIM yourself than by throwing a few hunnit watts at it and see what it does. Pretty easy.
That has nothing to do with how you can't take one brand's claims of ##w/mK and compare it with another brand's claims of ##w/mK with certainty. Thermal conductivity is affected by factors such as bond line thickness and temperature tested at. There is no industry-wide testing standard that these companies adhere to, and nobody publishes testing methodology.

Anyone heard about this stuff? Seems pretty cheap on Amazon, but I want to see if there's any discussion about this stuff anywhere.

MGChem is a solid and reputable company, so at the very least it will perform as it should and likely be a quality product.

Maybe someone should just weld the cooler to the CPU... :D
That has been tried... Sort of. Soldered.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
That has nothing to do with how you can't take one brand's claims of ##w/mK and compare it with another brand's claims of ##w/mK with certainty. Thermal conductivity is affected by factors such as bond line thickness and temperature tested at. There is no industry-wide testing standard that these companies adhere to, and nobody publishes testing methodology.
Ok.

Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Case Open bench
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
That's the thing, there is no consensus on what testing parameters to use, nor do any of the manufacturers publish how they do their testing. Same issue with airflow (CFM) and noise (dba) claims manufacturers make exists with fans.
I don't understand what you're saying. There are various ways to figure out thermal conductivity of anything and everything. Or how would we know what is an insulator or a conductor. I'd hope that most or all manufacturers either conduct an experiment or they calculate based on already known substance thermal conductivity and properties. You can look up all the different thermal properties of different types of ceramics for example.....

Here's a Wiki How. Perhaps even conduct our own home made experiements.

I don't understand what you're saying. There are various ways to figure out thermal conductivity of anything and everything. Or how would we know what is an insulator or a conductor. I'd hope that most or all manufacturers either conduct an experiment or they calculate based on already known substance thermal conductivity and properties. You can look up all the different thermal properties of different types of ceramics for example.....

Here's a Wiki How. Perhaps even conduct our own home made experiements.
Thermal Conductivity in w/mK = [[heat input in watts] * [interface thickness in meters]] / [[area in square meters]*[delta T, temperature difference across interface in kelvin]]

You don't know the heat input used for testing. You don't know the interface thickness used for testing. You don't know the area used for testing. You don't know delta T either. All you have from the manufacturers is a conductivity number they hope you will trust at face value. Arctic has dropped out the farce. It's a shame other companies haven't yet done the same.

Similarly with fan noise, we all know that something that makes noise gets quieter the further away it is moved from the receiver. How far away was the microphone used to measure noise for your fan? Chances are very good you have no idea. You are just given a noise number that manufacturers hope you trust at face value. Some companies even just outright lie. Anyone remember SilenX's ridiculous claims of 90cfm @ 1400rpm & 18dba for their IXP-76-18 fans?

You don't know the heat input used for testing. You don't know the interface thickness used for testing. You don't know the area used for testing. You don't know delta T either. All you have from the manufacturers is a conductivity number they hope you will trust at face value.
This! And Arctic knows it...

Arctic has dropped out the farce. It's a shame other companies haven't yet done the same.

Why doesn’t ARCTIC communicate thermal conductivity values?​

ARCTIC made a conscious decision not to specify any values for the thermal conductivity of its thermal paste and thermal pads, because many manufacturers invent, artificially inflate or embellish this value. Thermal paste has a thermal conductivity of 1 to 4 W/mK. Values outside of this range, such as 12.5 W/mK, are at odds with the truth.
Many competitors quote values above 4 W/mK to suggest better performance. This often leads to false expectations and dissatisfied users.
ARCTIC offers its customers innovative thermal interface materials at the best possible price-performance ratio instead of relying on manipulated performance data.
...which is why I really like that company. Truth in advertising goes a LONG way!

It should be noted, that there are some variations and deviations to thermal performance measurements which have some merit. So MGC's claim of 6W/mK is reasonable when taking the variations the company uses into account. The reality is that the actual kinetic thermal performance of their product is something like 3.17W/mK(me using quick and dirty math) without any deviations factored in. While this is only a guess, it likely somewhere near real-world.

So let's not argue this point folks, it's a real a waste of our time and energy(pun intended).

Last edited:
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Case Open bench
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Thermal Conductivity in w/mK = [[heat input in watts] * [interface thickness in meters]] / [[area in square meters]*[delta T, temperature difference across interface in kelvin]]

You don't know the heat input used for testing. You don't know the interface thickness used for testing. You don't know the area used for testing. You don't know delta T either. All you have from the manufacturers is a conductivity number they hope you will trust at face value. Arctic has dropped out the farce. It's a shame other companies haven't yet done the same.

Similarly with fan noise, we all know that something that makes noise gets quieter the further away it is moved from the receiver. How far away was the microphone used to measure noise for your fan? Chances are very good you have no idea. You are just given a noise number that manufacturers hope you trust at face value. Some companies even just outright lie. Anyone remember SilenX's ridiculous claims of 90cfm @ 1400rpm & 18dba for their IXP-76-18 fans?
Oh god, you want to get real deep with this.... you don't know if the testing is done at sea level or on mount everest with high or low humidity nor the pressure of the fan if used during the testing.

Of course everyone's Delta T will be different. 3.3 watts across a meter of space sounds like a mule pulling an overloaded carriage all be it known to exactly what Solder and Liquid Metal thermal properties are, still MUCH LOWER than copper BTW. We can take a generalized guess that Ceramic pastes don't often exceed, let's say 6w/mk. Then sprinkle some silver dust in it and call it AS5 at 8.9w/mk.

All the numbers look to add up in my head. What do you think of this approach?

This is exactly how you measure thermal conductivity. What is the rate of BTU/hr across the paste between 2 copper surfaces. You only need to know the thickness of the paste. You know the wattage input. You know copper thermal properties. We know the conductivity of water and air. You can calculate exactly how many BTU you NEED to move, that's the easy part. My 13700K pulls 235w at a full load. That's about 802BTU/hr, just a little more than half of my window air conditioning unit I chill loops with. :)

If we flipped our window A/Cs around in the winter, we could heat homes and cool the earth down!! (off topic parity sentence lol)

We can take a generalized guess that Ceramic pastes don't often exceed, let's say 6w/mk. Then sprinkle some silver dust in it and call it AS5 at 8.9w/mk.

All the numbers look to add up in my head. What do you think of this approach?
I hope you are joking.

I'll stop here. I've already said what I wanted to say in my previous posts.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I'll stop here.
No need to get snobby about it. We are cooling CPUs and GPUs. Whether it says 8w/mk or 20.. the only really way to see if it good is to just run it.. I literally do not care what a reviewer finds. My results are always different anyways.

Why do you think I say AS5 is ok when most people are too busy saying that it’s too old fashioned.. I am not a parrot.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Case Open bench
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
I hope you are joking.

I'll stop here. I've already said what I wanted to say in my previous posts.
Right you said an opinion without facts.
You have no facts about manufacturer testing.

I gave facts how you would calculate heat exchange. With links. That contain data.

That's what I was trying to get from you. But was provided a single manufacturers statement which meant absolutely nothing to me at all.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
[sat in post editor since 1 minute after question was published]

Given the current state of general disrest. I'm abdicating on the same level of answer I hope others see fit to.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Hmmmm solder heatsink to cpu. Never have to repaste. I like it. Just have to find a type of solder that will stick.

SYY-157.. real tough to beat.. one of if not the best I have used.. 15.7 w/mk for the jaded ones :D

And yeah.. I know what Toms says :rolleyes:

:laugh:
Usually inexpensive as well. Never tried it. Finally, finished using the last of my mx4, and got a new tube of mx6 (first one)................maybe I will repaste my CPU over the holidays and see how it does............seems kind of a waste since paste on CPU is only 1 year old.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Are there any fake PTM 7950 or Upsiren PCM-1 on Aliexpress? I think I bought a fake PCM-1... https://aliexpress.com/item/1005006011357826.html

There are no PTM 7950 or PTM 7958 on aliexpress for sure. They have their own reverse engineered compound ant PCM-1 is one of them imho, they come in two flavors also, one is a bit more performant. But they did the job pretty good this time, their knock off PTM 7950 looses only few C versus the original Honeywell.

There are no PTM 7950 or PTM 7958 on aliexpress for sure. They have their own reverse engineered compound ant PCM-1 is one of them imho, they come in two flavors also, one is a bit more performant. But they did the job pretty good this time, their knock off PTM 7950 looses only few C versus the original Honeywell.
Damn, I tought PCM-1 had the same performance as HoneyWell 7950 from watching this video, guess that dude is a paid shill:

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Damn, I tought PCM-1 had the same performance as HoneyWell 7950 from watching this video, guess that dude is a paid shill:

It is actually pretty hard to get genuine PTM7958 for most people, but the popular makers are slowly hopping in the train and offering it too. Just wait.

But as I said, the difference ain't that bad, use any you have at hand.