• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7800X3D vs 14900K video by HWUB. What would you choose for gaming?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Wait what! How did this thread get unlocked? what dingus did that! as the answer to the OP's question is clearly and obviously the 7800X3D as shown and proven in the video :kookoo: Like DIR! and many other videos. Its not rocket science!

It was agreed with W1zzard after he received feedback.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares

I wish it was 18c outside miine today
Screenshot 2023-12-15 091924.png

I'm not about the read the whole 8 pages, I admit, which seems to have flirted with a general Intel vs AMD at times, so I'll just answer the question in the title.

If I were choosing one for gaming, it would be the Ryzen 7 7800X3D no question. The main reason is because it is cheaper, so it has a better value by virtue of being similar performance for less. Consuming less power is a plus, but not a major factor on its own.

The reason I would go with this is because I don't tend to need the massive amount of cores the Core i9 (or even Core i7) offer, but I want at least 8 performance cores, and I tend to play CPU heavy games a lot (read as, Minecraft Java edition). Going from the Ryzen 7 3700X to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D brought a pretty substantial performance uplift in this game, and while I don't have a 5700X or 5800X to compare to, I can't imagine the increase I saw came entirely from the Zen 2 to Zen 3 generation uplift. It was so big that while I was troubleshooting a PC issue and put my older Ryzen 7 3700X back in, I could no longer move around pre-generated (lighter to load) chunks at a render distance of 32 and hold 60 FPS like the Ryzen 7 5800X3D could (it can even do this at up to 48 chunks, but there are some increased momentary stutters). I'm waiting for the Zen 5 X3D chip and will likely move to that, and I'm seriously excited to see how Intel's "throw extra cache at things" approach works out.

Unfortunately, finding exact hardware becnchmarking with Minecraft Java is... difficult at best due to how uncommon it is, probably due to the random and variable nature of the game.

In my eyes, the situation between Intel and AMD resemble the things they did a lot back in the early 2000s during the Athlon XP/64 versus Pentium 4 days, just not as bad for Intel now as it was back then.

This is how things were back then.

AMD often had cheaper products, with lower clock speeds, but higher IPC, and lower power consumption.

Intel would cost more, rum warmer, and had less performance in games, but better productivity performance.

That's more or less true today, with the exception that Intel is still rather competitive on gaming performance today. The biggest difference was that AMD had higher IPC and lower clock speed then, but had a slight advantage in the end, whereas now the first two are still true but they have a slight deficit. They're making up for it (and then some) with the X3D models. Intel would have the overall edge if you remove the X3D CPUs from the picture... but those exist, so it seems silly to say that.

Both seem viable to me, and this is certainly better than the mid 2010s. The CPU market is alright to me. Now if only the GPU market were like this! That's the one I could complain endlessly about.

I made a decision not to buy a first gen stuff for AM5.
Actually I tested a X670E board briefly with Ryzen 7600 and the two chipset chips warmed the heatsink quite a lot and the memory training felt like a childs disease. Overall the board felt like a warm sick baby. So I decided to let it grow a bit. I wonder if the heatspreader will get some improvement in future, if felt tiny, thick and dumb.

Would you welcome if AMD made two versions of CPUs, one with thick dumb heatspreaders which are compatible with old coolers and the second version with thin heatspreaders, which would require changing a mounting hardware on a cooler or even a whole new cooler?

If I were choosing one for gaming, it would be the Ryzen 7 7800X3D no question. The main reason is because it is cheaper, so it has a better value by virtue of being similar performance for less. Consuming less power is a plus, but not a major factor on its own.
Cheaper than what? Not long ago it was not that cheaper than 14700K, which is much more powerful universal CPU (even if you limit it to some sane power draw), and now it is still a little bit more expensive than 14600K, which again is more powerful in raw computing.

I have a real trouble talking about Intel CPUs, because I feel that they are out of the box horribly set up. 14600K should have a real power limit of 100W, 14700K 140W and 14900K 160W.

If you started comparing 7800X3D with 14600K limited to 100W and did not concentrate on gaming only, I believe that the choice would not be that straightforward.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Actually I tested a X670E board briefly with Ryzen 7600 and the two chipset chips warmed the heatsink quite a lot and the memory training felt like a childs disease. Overall the board felt like a warm sick baby. So I decided to let it grow a bit. I wonder if the heatspreader will get some improvement in future, if felt tiny, thick and dumb.

Would you welcome if AMD made two versions of CPUs, one with thick dumb heatspreaders which are compatible with old coolers and the second version with thin heatspreaders, which would require changing a mounting hardware on a cooler or even a whole new cooler?

Cheaper than what? Not long ago it was not that cheaper than 14700K, which is much more powerful universal CPU (even if you limit it to some sane power draw), and now it is still a little bit more expensive than 14600K, which again is more powerful in raw computing.

I have a real trouble talking about Intel CPUs, because I feel that they are out of the box horribly set up. 14600K should have a real power limit of 100W, 14700K 140W and 14900K 160W.

If you started comparing 7800X3D with 14600K limited to 100W and did not concentrate on gaming only, I believe that the choice would not be that straightforward.

Listen mr intel fanboy, the focus of the video is gaming, as is the focus for most people building gaming rigs - it's a very small minority who uses them for anything other than gaming, and lightweight tasks such as browsing and office... so gaming is what solely matters to the majority of people buying this kinda hardware.

"But intel is better in productivity !!!!11" is just intel fanboy coping.

Listen mr intel funboy, the focus of the video is gaming, as is the focus for most people building gaming rigs - it's a very small minority who uses them for anything other than gaming, and lightweight tasks such as browsing and office... so gaming is what solely matters to the majority of people buying this kinda hardware.
Funboy? Why are you calling me a funboy? I am not a boy anymore and I am not funny, I am very serious. I have never been funny.

How would you justify choosing a 14900K for the video, when it is a totally inappropriate CPU for gaming, browsing and office? It is the most powerful desktop CPU for many multithread productive tasks on the market. It will see like maximal 20-30% utilisation during gaming.

I say - HUB, compare 7800X3D with 14600K limited to 100W and then talk, which one is a better CPU not only for gaming, but also as an universal CPU for other tasks.

We already know that it is going to loose in gaming and that it is made by using an older process giving it an energy efficiency disadvantage, but even with these two hurdles it may be a very usable chip.

I am worried that they will refuse to power limit the CPU. Saying that they need to test just stock CPUs and that it is unfair to compare stock and adjusted CPU.... It is hard to argue with that ...

It is really sad that Intel destroyed perfectly nice and efficient CPUs by selling them with insane power limits and frequencies.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
for game i choose i5/Ryzen 5.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Funboy? Why are you calling me a funboy? I am not a boy anymore and I am not funny, I am very serious. I have never been funny.

How would you justify choosing a 14900K for the video, when it is a totally inappropriate CPU for gaming, browsing and office? It is the most powerful desktop CPU for many multithread productive tasks on the market. It will see like maximal 20-30% utilisation during gaming.

I say - HUB, compare 7800X3D with 14600K limited to 100W and then talk, which one is a better CPU not only for gaming, but also as an universal CPU for other tasks.

We already know that it is going to loose in gaming and that it is made by using an older process giving it an energy efficiency disadvantage, but even with these two hurdles it may be a very usable chip.

I am worried that they will refuse to power limit the CPU. Saying that they need to test just stock CPUs and that it is unfair to compare stock and adjusted CPU.... It is hard to argue with that ...

It is really sad that Intel destroyed perfectly nice and efficient CPUs by selling them with insane power limits and frequencies.
Impressive how you missed and keep on missing the point.
The review compares the best GAMING CPU from each maker for GAMING AND GAMING ONLY and out-of-the-box.

What is the best CPU AMD has for gaming? 7800X3D.
What is the best CPU Intel has for gaming? 14900K.
It doesn't matter if a 14600K is more efficient, if it is cheaper, etc. IT ISN'T INTEL'S BEST. Were it faster than a 14900K for gaming (and therefore Intel's best for it), it'd be relevant for the review. It ain't.

Hence, they compared the 7800X3D against the 14900K, and the 7800X3D comes ahead at GAMING. The review DOESN'T CARE about productivity or anything else.

Last edited:
System Name Harm's Rig's
Processor 5950X /2700x / AMD 8370e 4500
Motherboard ASUS DARK HERO / ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
Cooling ArcticLiquidFreezer III420 Push/Pull P14 max/Noctua NF-A14 i / Enermax LIQMAX III ARGB 360 AIO
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB (4x 8GB) 4000M TRIDENT Z F-43600V15D-16GTZ /G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) ZOTAC AMP EXTREME AIRO 4090 / 1080 Ti /290X CFX
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB/ WD DARK 770 2TB , Sabrent NVMe 512GB / 1 SSD 250GB / 1 HHD 3 TB
Display(s) Thermal Grizzly WireView / TCL 646 55 TV / 50 Xfinity Hisense A6 XUMO TV
Case TT 37 VIEW 200MM'S-ARTIC P14MAX / NZXT Tempest custom
Audio Device(s) Sharp Aquos
Power Supply FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W ATX 3.0 PCI-E GEN-5 80 Plus Platinum - EVGA 1300G2/Corsair w750
Mouse G502
Keyboard G413
There are a few games that have issues especially with heavy RT but otherwise same for me at least not enough to make me want to upgrade although a 5800X3D with it being so cheap has been tempting.

It was really good till intel decided avx 512 was not for regular consumers and as much as I would love them to do the testing it is probably way to variable game to game to get a good idea what is the best option and emulating old games is probably pretty niche as it is.

Again to the OPs original post it is a fun comparison nothing more nobody in the market for an i9 unless they are stupidly buying it just for gaming is gonna look at the 7800X3D and go jeez that is the cpu to buy it's the same with people in the market for a 7950X/7950X3D..... At the end of the day we are all spending our own hard earned money so even if we want to buy a ridiculous cpu just for gaming that's up to the person making the purchase who cares otherwise. Some people like red coolaid some like blue others prefer green or a mix of the two nothing wrong with having a preference.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
The review compares the best GAMING CPU from each maker for GAMING AND GAMING ONLY and out-of-the-box.

What is the best AMD CPU has for gaming? 7800X3D.
What is the best Intel CPU has for gaming? 14900K.
It doesn't matter if a 14600K is more efficient, if it is cheaper, etc. IT ISN'T INTEL'S BEST. Were it faster than a 14900K for gaming (and therefore Intel's best for it), it'd be relevant for the review. It ain't.

Hence, they compared the 7800X3D against the 14900K, and the 7800X3D comes ahead at GAMING. The review DOESN'T CARE about productivity or anything else.
This!

Also, the video is a head-to-head comparison, and not buying guide.

Man, AMD has an advantage of being able to mount additional cache on top of the chip and now has the best gaming CPU, Intel LOST THIS BATTLE NOW AND EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT! There is no point in proving that yet again, when it is evident from hundreds of reviews!

And AMD even does not need any more publicity, because 7800X3D is one of the best selling CPUs now. And by total numbers of all sold desktop CPUs Intel is losing as well.

So why to make such a video, comparing very different CPUs by every metric, when the outcome is clear from the beginning?

7800X3D is made on an efficient process and has limited frequency, that makes it even more efficient. It uses just as much silicone as is needed for the job, nothing more. It has additional cache on it, which benefits it in gaming greatly.

14900K is on an older inefficient process, runs at high frequency, which makes it even more inefficient, has a ton of unnecessary for gaming stuff on it, has no special tech for gaming.

Are these really comparable?

No.

Intel is never going to win in gaming alone or efficiency alone in desktop CPUs now, yet they still make some nice useful chips, which unfortunately need to be first configured from the horrible melted hot silicone mess, that pours out the boxes.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Man, AMD has an advantage of being able to mount additional cache on top of the chip and now has the best gaming CPU, Intel LOST THIS BATTLE NOW AND EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT! There is no point in proving that yet again, when it is evident from hundreds of reviews!

And AMD even does not need any more publicity, because 7800X3D is one of the best selling CPUs now. And by total numbers of all sold desktop CPUs Intel is losing as well.

So why to make such a video, comparing very different CPUs by every metric, when the outcome is clear from the beginning?

7800X3D is made on an efficient process and has limited frequency, that makes it even more efficient. It uses just as much silicone as is needed for the job, nothing more. I has additional cache on it, which benefits it in gaming greatly.

14900K is on an older inefficient process, runs at high frequency, which makes it even more inefficient, has a ton of unnecessary for gaming stuff on it, has no special tech for gaming.

Are these really comparable?

No.
Some compare it to the 7900X3D and guess what? Those arguments go out the window. BTW does not need special tech. Just a little more memory for the CPU cores. It is not AMD's fault that Intel have no room to add that to their existing stack.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Yeah but that's misleading -- the whole premise relies on the fact that AMD couldn't get the 7950X3D working correctly. The 7800X3D wasn't intended to be AMD's best, it's that way because of technical issues.

You're conflating BEST as a result. In the video he's like "oh it's the best" and then goes in to talk about pricing -- which is a product SKU discussion. He jumps from "Best" to SKU and power usage talk --- this is evident in the fact that he could make this video about the 7800x3d vs 7950X3d and have it literally be exactly the same video and come to the same conclusion.

If he compared it to processors actual gamers buy - like a $255 13600KF then the whole conversation would be different and much more reasonable. Now it's 30% cheaper and only 10% slower and it's a toss up whether you really need the x3d since at 1440P and 4k the difference is imperceptible with a 4090.

If I made a video of 7950X vs 13600K in gaming, and then was like "the 13600K is way better in gaming over the 7950X, and even trades blows with the 7950X3D, a processor at OVER DOUBLE the price" everyone would immediately point out the absurdity of that comparison. It's fine if they just kept the talk to performance and said "well they perform about the same 7800X3D is a bit faster" -- but as soon as you start talking price when they're clearly not the same class of product, AND DONT MENTION AT ALL the 14600K or any i5 for that matter, which is right there for that price and offers almost the same gaming performance, you're misleading.

Last edited:

Well the thread title is comparing it to the 14900K, so I was answering that. I thought it was clear.

Of course the 14700K and 14600K are better values than the 14900K, but that wasn't the main question I was asked nor answering, though I sort of touched on those too.

I don't need the core counts that Core i9s or even Cores i7s provide.

At the same time, I want 8 performance cores (hence why the Core i5 is just a bit less ideal for my preferences).

I was talking about gaming, not universal performance.

And lastly, the 3D cache seems like it can be quite a boon to Minecraft, which is particularly important for me.

All those combined are why I answered as I did. I was, after all, merely answering based on what I'd choose. It's subjective. I wasn't stating that it's better objectively.

I am not sure if anyone noted that yet, but I just checked and Intel has exactly the same blurb about gaming on each of i9, i7 and i5 pages. They have no special designated "best CPU for gaming".

The choice was up to Steve and he chose for the comparison with 7800X3D a CPU 3 times larger in core count.

Here is a quote from the video:

steve power quote.png

I would add to that, that the same insane as the difference is the person who chose such a CPU, when he could have chosen 14600K with 35W difference.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am not sure if anyone noted that yet... ... They have no special designated "best CPU for gaming".
It was mentioned earlier but good that you, as the OP, saw that too.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I am not sure if anyone noted that yet, but I just checked and Intel has exactly the same blurb about gaming on each of i9, i7 and i5 pages. They have no special designated "best CPU for gaming".

The choice was up to Steve and he chose for the comparison with 7800X3D a CPU 3 times larger in core count.

Here is a quote from the video:

View attachment 325518

I would add to that, that the same insane as the difference is the person who chose such a CPU, when he could have chosen 14600K with 35W difference.
This really sums it up tbh -- if he did a video on the 14600k, the 13600k, the 13700k or the 14700k it would have been a nothingburger... this gets clicks because basically the 14900K is kind of a crazy power hog that is also expensive.

All of these chips below the 14900k are within 10% of each other on aggregate - with minor tuning they can hit each other's numbers or come extremely close...

Current gen from the 7700x up at 1440P and above are hardly distinguishable from one another, so don't spend $600 on a CPU that eats 375W and has 24 cores for gaming...

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Honestly, I summed this debate on my earlier post in this thread. Both have outstanding performance. You're given a choice between Core's grunt (consistently high performance with an extra kick) and Ryzen's finesse (a notable boon, provided your application is sensitive to and benefits from the large cache). Do all games favor Raphael X3D? No. Do all productivity applications favor Raptor Lake? No. Do we have a clear winner here? IMHO, No. This is excellent for us, as customers. It allows us to have a competitive market, and makes it extra easy to expose these corporations' dirty deeds.

On mobile segment, Intel's already taking a pounding. Meteor Regression Lake Core Ultra chips seem to be slower than the Raptor Lake ones and much worse than the corresponding AMD Hawk Point CPUs as well, not to mention they're super expensive... you won't see this competition affect the mobile market well.

... don't spend $600 on a CPU that eats 375W and has 24 cores for gaming...
I would say do not buy such a CPU at all for anything, unless you know what is happening and how to adjust it. The only CPU which I could recommend to somebody, who will leave it as is out of the box is 14600K, because it is well usable under an air cooler and 160W of max power is something that most people doing normal things will never see.
Do all games favor Raphael X3D? No. Do all productivity applications favor Raptor Lake? No. Do we have a clear winner here? IMHO, No. This is excellent for us, as customers. It allows us to have a competitive market, and makes it extra easy to expose these corporations' dirty deeds.

On mobile segment, Intel's already taking a pounding. Meteor Regression Lake Core Ultra chips seem to be slower than the Raptor Lake ones and much worse than the corresponding AMD Hawk Point CPUs as well, not to mention they're super expensive... you won't see this competition affect the mobile market well.
Well AMD is winning in games and Intel accepted being a bit slower with a lazy approach of not trying to compete. They could have built that 10 P core chip with larger cache I mentioned earlier. I think that having problems and being lazy in the same time cannot have any positive impact.

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I would say do not buy such a CPU at all for anything, unless you know what is happening and how to adjust it. The only CPU which I could recomment to somebody, who will leave it as is out of the box is 14600K, because it is well usable under an air cooler and 160W of max power is something that most people doing normal things will never see.

Well AMD is winning in games and Intel accepted being a bit slower with a lazy approach of not trying to compete. They could have built that 10 P core chip with larger cache I mentioned earlier. I think that having problems and being lazy in the same time cannot have any positive impact.

They just need larger cache -- games don't really care about IPC as much as they care about fast cache and memory.

If they made a chip that replaced the e cores with massive L4 cache it would be dominating in games.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
They just need larger cache -- games don't really care about IPC as much as they care about fast cache and memory.

If they made a chip that replaced the e cores with massive L4 cache it would be dominating in games.

Indeed, if intel wants back in the game, then they need to make a chip actually aimed at gaming... aka get rid of the e-waste cores, and get a big L4 cache, as you said. Intel has even done it before with the 5000 series i7.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Indeed, if intel wants back in the game, then they need to make a chip actually aimed at gaming... aka get rid of the e-waste cores, and get a big L4 cache, as you said. Intel has even done it before with the 5000 series i7.
ah yeah the broadwell chips -- those things were epic -- they were better fps and lows than much higher clocked new gen chips.

256mb L4 cache instead of e cores and no HT -- just 8 P cores at 6Ghz all core boost....

*wakes up* ah back to thread.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Imagine if Intel had of paid TSMC to use 3d cache instead of AMD.

AMD 3D V-Cache powered Ryzen X3D processors have proved to be excellent performers for PC gaming. However, the 3D stacking of cache is a TSMC packaging technology for chips that AMD has taken advantage of - so it's not proprietary. 3dcache uses TSMC CoWoS.

For a new system, the AMD 7800X3D is the way to go, for a pure gaming rig for sure. If you already have an Intel rig, is it really worth spending the cash and switching to the 7800X3D now, not sure.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Imagine if Intel had of paid TSMC to use 3d cache instead of AMD.
That'd require Intel to outsource the production of their CPU's to TSMC in the first place, and also to design the silicon so the cache stacking can be applied. I'm sure AMD had TSMC telling them it was a future possibility when they first were negotiating 5000-series design and prodution.
Either that, or getting Foveros to allow a similar process.