• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK-Quantum Surface X360M Radiator

UTVOL06

How much difference in temperature do you think an EK Quantum Surface X480m would achieve and I'm planning to use two of them up front in a slightly older Corsair 1000D Case the supports dual 480m radiators at the front. In reference to the review of one x360m radiator, how would two perform together? Does it give double the performance? Thank you!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
How much difference in temperature do you think an EK Quantum Surface X480m would achieve and I'm planning to use two of them up front in a slightly older Corsair 1000D Case the supports dual 480m radiators at the front. In reference to the review of one x360m radiator, how would two perform together? Does it give double the performance? Thank you!
I can't say without having actually tested those scenarios but in general you'll find diminishing returns really quickly past a triple 120 mm radiator. A quad 120 (480 mm) might be worth it if you want to run fans even quieter and have similar temps but there's not much to be gained in thermal dissipation unless you have power hungry components such as an RTX 4090 as well as a hot CPU in the same loop. Most people go for larger or more rads in the case more because it looks nicer to them.

Also, your Case as a glass front? Right?
Are you considering chaning out the glass front for something that can vent? And you can take advatage of the air movement?

1704567168915.png

UTVOL06

Also, your Case as a glass front? Right?
Are you considering chaning out the glass front for something that can vent? And you can take advatage of the air movement?

View attachment 328538
Honestly plan to leave the glass front and just user higher static pressure fans to move more air against resistance. I wouldn't even know how to properly remove the glass panel anyway.

I can't say without having actually tested those scenarios but in general you'll find diminishing returns really quickly past a triple 120 mm radiator. A quad 120 (480 mm) might be worth it if you want to run fans even quieter and have similar temps but there's not much to be gained in thermal dissipation unless you have power hungry components such as an RTX 4090 as well as a hot CPU in the same loop. Most people go for larger or more rads in the case more because it looks nicer to them.
Thank you for the quick reply! I went with a 480mm radiator since it fits my front fan tray. I guess having dual 480mm radiators would just make it take longer to reach peak liquid temp? Also, when pressure testing a completed system with an EK air pressure tool guage, would I just pressurize the Guage to the weakest link in the system, which would be the 10/13mm soft tubing? I know the pump and radiators can take more pressure.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thank you for the quick reply! I went with a 480mm radiator since it fits my front fan tray. I guess having dual 480mm radiators would just make it take longer to reach peak liquid temp? Also, when pressure testing a completed system with an EK air pressure tool guage, would I just pressurize the Guage to the weakest link in the system, which would be the 10/13mm soft tubing? I know the pump and radiators can take more pressure.
It's all going to equilibrate within minutes at typical coolant flow rates, the larger radiator won't change things too much. Also, yes set the pressure to the weakest link.

UTVOL06

It's all going to equilibrate within minutes at typical coolant flow rates, the larger radiator won't change things too much. Also, yes set the pressure to the weakest link.
So what are the benefits I would see in temps going from a thinner 420mm AIO with a slower flow rate and less than ideal block vs a higher end custom
Loop like I'm going with EK Quantum Magnitude 1700 and 2x480mm x480m radiators? The max wattage my 420mm aio can seem to handle is 300-320watts full load for brief benchmark durations. Shouldn't I get lower temps and temps that stay lower for longer with the Custom loop vs the AIO?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
So what are the benefits I would see in temps going from a thinner 420mm AIO with a slower flow rate and less than ideal block vs a higher end custom
Loop like I'm going with EK Quantum Magnitude 1700 and 2x480mm x480m radiators? The max wattage my 420mm aio can seem to handle is 300-320watts full load for brief benchmark durations. Shouldn't I get lower temps and temps that stay lower for longer with the Custom loop vs the AIO?
You have too many specific questions in there for me to answer. I'd suggest talking to an EK rep at that point since it's not really in the realm of this review's comment section anymore.