• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disney Acquiring $1.5 Billion Stake in Epic Games, Multi-year Collab Project Teased

T0@st

News Editor
The Walt Disney Company has announced a new collaborative venture with Epic Games—yesterday's press release outlined the creation of an upcoming "all-new games and entertainment universe that will further expand the reach of beloved Disney stories and experiences." Epic's Fortnite appears to be the first port of call for an expanded roster of Disney-owned characters and locales (perhaps for seasonal and time limited events)—new interactive projects will emerge at later time: "(our) persistent universe will offer a multitude of opportunities for consumers to play, watch, shop and engage with content, characters and stories from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more. Players, gamers and fans will be able to create their own stories and experiences, express their fandom in a distinctly Disney way, and share content with each other in ways that they love. This will all be powered by Unreal Engine." Additionally, the press briefing mentions a big money transaction: "Disney will also invest $1.5 billion to acquire an equity stake in Epic Games alongside the multi-year project. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals."

The Walt Disney Company's Chief Executive Officer—Robert A. Iger—stated: "Our exciting new relationship with Epic Games will bring together Disney's beloved brands and franchises with the hugely popular Fortnite in a transformational new games and entertainment universe. This marks Disney's biggest entry ever into the world of games and offers significant opportunities for growth and expansion. We can't wait for fans to experience the Disney stories and worlds they love in groundbreaking new ways." Tim Sweeney, Epic Games CEO and Founder also chipped in with: "Disney was one of the first companies to believe in the potential of bringing their worlds together with ours in Fortnite, and they use Unreal Engine across their portfolio. Now we're collaborating on something entirely new to build a persistent, open and interoperable ecosystem that will bring together the Disney and Fortnite communities." Disney's introductory piece includes a teaser image that shows an overhead perspective of a Fortnite-esque digital theme park—several circular floating islands are dotted with well known franchise graphics and company logos. A 43-second video montage also presents similar content, with the narrated message: "Discover a place where magic is Epic." Fortnite is listed alongside Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and Disney IPs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I forget Disney owns almost everything now. Wait and see now.

Considering that Disney had made major use of Unreal Engine in their special studio for much of Mandalorian and similar, it actually doesn't surprise me that they might want to have a bigger stake in its development. Moreso for interactive park elements, which they've been wanting to do for years.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ugh, just what the video games industry doesn't need; involvement from yet another IP-hoarding, highly litigious (perhaps the single most litigious entity on earth), greedy, soulless and supermassive megacorp that has failed to show any real promise, innovation, or new thinking in my entire adult lifespan.

I really want to be wrong but I suspect no good things will come of this. History is repeating itself and the industry keeps failing to learn from its mistakes.

Merging media studios with games studios was always going to happen. One corporation to rule them all! The end stage of all capitalism without heavy government regulation and high taxation. Oh well, capitalism going to capitalism.

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Ugh, just what the video games industry doesn't need; involvement from yet another IP-hoarding, highly litigious (perhaps the single most litigious entity on earth), greedy, soulless and supermassive megacorp that has failed to show any real promise, innovation, or new thinking in my entire adult lifespan.

I really want to be wrong but I suspect no good things will come of this. History is repeating itself and the industry keeps failing to learn from its mistakes.
Yep, just what we need, a fubarred, clusterf*cked uber-corp getting it's grubby paws on yet another franchise that was doing pretty well on it's own, just so they can apply their own special brand of completely mindless oversight/micro-management, cost cutting, employee layoffs, and other gobbly-gook crap that mega-corps always do after a takeover/merger/buyout.....

And make NO mistake about it, this so-called "investment" is just a mildly-disguised precursor to an actual, complete takeover of Epic....and then we will all be cryin :(

As for the history thing, well....the big G said it best ~80 years ago....

"History teaches us that history teaches us NOTHING" - General George S. Patton

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Merging media studios with games studios was always going to happen. One corporation to rule them all! The end stage of all capitalism without heavy government regulation and high taxation. Oh well, capitalism going to capitalism.
Disney already has it's own game studios. They'd want more than something so simple. Why must it take regulation and taxes to reign a corporation in? What do businesses do in highly regulated and taxed environments? They find ways around the law. Single entities split themselves into numerous smaller ones and skirt it. Who suffers most from it is not corporate but the employees who get shuffled around. If the smaller entity underperforms, it is quick to be shuttered. Where regulation should come in the most is in conglomerate creation where monopolies happen. Smaller companies that get gobbled up to feed the conglomerate is the issue and many of them wouldn't get gobbled up if they didn't face high taxation as their business grows.

So government should do x or y? Disney has gotten giant because of regulators looking the other way over the last 20-50yrs. Same can be said for a lot of the giant conglomerates. Government can be bought and paid, especially if the right leaders are installed. So you cannot trust government to regulate properly unless you have a system in place and the right people involved to make sure laws are enforced. Then a public always made aware they exist and why. Education defeats totalitarianism and corruption. When it is corrupted, the government and the corporations can do whatever they want as long as the masses are well distracted.

, soulless and supermassive megacorp that has failed to show any real promise, innovation, or new thinking in my entire adult lifespan.
It depends on which sector you are looking: the MCU is losing its edge, Endgame was pretty much the peak, they have a loooot of cookie cutter stuff, but a few gems once in a while. It's not common knowledge, but Disney is also a tech powerhouse when it comes to 3D and animation, and their tech is open source. They also have lots of documentations, data sets from their movies to learn from. Pretty interesting if you are a nerd about those things.

In video games though ? Kingdom hearts is the only substantial thing that I can think of, and I have no doubt that their collab with Epic is targeted at die hard fans of their franchise. I don't expect nothing too crazy to came out of this

More money for metaverse, so they can fire even more people when it fails again.

Everything Disney has done in the last 5 years has been a disaster. This is the last company I'd ever want buying a share in my company. They have destroyed the MCU, they have ruined Starwars, they have even ruined old Disney movies. Bob Iger is a total moron so expect a cluster fcuk of epic proportions.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
More anti-capitalism talk. It’s the same system that brings us the advancing technology you know and love. I think maybe your real problem is with people chasing greed and power, which will exist in all economic systems. No, capitalism says you have the right to own property, which affords you protections you might not otherwise have. One big example that comes to mind is where the police can’t just walk into your place of residence and start searching through it, because it’s your capital.

ir_cow

Staff member
RIP Epic. Everything Disney touches is dissolved or ruined within 2-3 years.

I assume this sake is done so they don't have to pay for unreal engine usage in TV shows and movies with that seamless background screen. Cheaper in the long run.

System Name Main rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700 @ 3.5 GHz/1.18750 V|SoC 0.9 V
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac |BIOS 3.80
Cooling Noctua NH-D9L
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 @ 3200/C18-18-18-36|1T /1.25 V
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ ACX 2.0 2 GB GDDR5
Storage 500 GB Crucial MX500|1 TB Crucial MX500|250 GB Intel 510|128 GB Netac N600S|6+2 TB WD Purple
Display(s) 2 x LG 24GM77-B @ 144 Hz, DAS on, Motion 240 off | 1 x Icy Box VESA arm @ pivot
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S (no window, 1 x Noctua A14 PWM + 1 x Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700 BTs
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless PX-500
Mouse HSK|Hati S|Hati M Ace|Skoll SK-S|Pulsar Xlite|MM710|MM730|NP-01|Viper M.|Krait|MX300|MX500 etc
Keyboard Ducky One 3 TKL |One 3 SF|One 2 Horizon|Miya Pro|Akko 3068B Plus|Huntsman TE|K70 Pro Mini WL etc
VR HMD 3xShidenkai XS|Zero Classic XS|Hien XS|Raiden XS|P-51|Turbulence Teal SE|Talent L|2xAllsop XL etc
Software MS Windows 10 Home x64
Benchmark Scores over 9000
Fukk Disney, lalalaaa.

Agree with this comment. Instead of Disney taking care of it's internal issues, they instead did this to try to stop a hostile taking over of the company. I do NOT like people like Iger.
I did NOT like the financial report as it was hiding the usual facts such as LOSS of subscribers etc which was made up with increases in prices on just about everything they sell.

At this moment everything Disney touches by Iger is destroyed.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
If it ends up killing Fortnite, I don't see an issue here, it's not like Epic has been developing any games in the recent decade.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
I forget Disney owns almost everything now. Wait and see now.
Yes, literally it's Disneyworld :)

I assume this sake is done so they don't have to pay for unreal engine usage in TV shows and movies with that seamless background screen. Cheaper in the long run.
I fear the free games on Epic won't last long :/

System Name Cyberdyne Systems Core
Processor AMD Sceptre 9 3950x Quantum neural processor (384 nodes)
Motherboard Cyberdyne X1470
Cooling Cyberdyne Superconduct SC5600
Memory 128TB QRAM
Storage SK 16EB NVMe PCI-E 9.0 x8
Display(s) Multiple LG C9 3D Matrix OLED Cube
Software Skysoft Skynet
Oh great, something else for Disney to ruin.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
If it ends up killing Fortnite, I don't see an issue here, it's not like Epic has been developing any games in the recent decade.
Not unlike Valve.

Anyway, I agree with the majority of comments. This is probably as bad as can be. Looking forward to games etc tailored towards "modern audiences".

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
God I hope epic is dissolved within 2-3 years, would do us all a solid.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent (Solid)
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original) on a X-Raypad Equate Plus V2
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
God I hope epic is dissolved within 2-3 years, would do us all a solid.
Honestly, while this is unlikely, it would be nice. Same as it would be nice if MS breaks their neck with the Activision stuff. The industry NEEDS to be badly burned to cool the appetite for these mega mergers and constant acquisitions. It’s not healthy. We might actually be well served by another big crash at this point.