• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help - i9 14900HX | razer blade 16 (2024) rtx 4090

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 5600mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
Looking at some reviews of this model laptop, why do people continue buying razor laptops, they have a long history of throttling their laptops and overheating. Its not just with the razor blade 16, it goes back 10+years of history. They look nice but they under-perform vs other laptops.

When the laptop review forums where still open, the razor section had lots of complains about overheating but lots of comments on the nice style. I just dont get it, its like going back to an abusive relationship.

I never owned one because I wasnt in their target audience but when I was in that audience, razor was never on my list. I've had high end laptops going back 10+yrs, with my first laptop, sager 2090 in 2007.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLABS Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear, MX900 dual gas VESA mount
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+, TOFU-R CNC Alu/Brass, SS Prismcaps W, Jellykey, Lube/Mod, TLabs Leath/Suede Wristrest
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19044.4046
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Looking at some reviews of this model laptop, why do people continue buying razor laptops, they have a long history of throttling their laptops and overheating. Its not just with the razor blade 16, it goes back 10+years of history. They look nice but they under-perform vs other laptops.

When the laptop review forums where still open, the razor section had lots of complains about overheating but lots of comments on the nice style. I just dont get it, its like going back to an abusive relationship.

I never owned one because I wasnt in their target audience but when I was in that audience, razor was never on my list of laptop. I've had high end laptops going back 10+yrs, with my first laptop, sager 2090 in 2007.
The form factor.

Sure, the 4090 in the Blade might be a bit slower than a 4090 in a laptop twice as big, but it's the same reason people buy a macbook over a workstation laptop. It's easier and nicer to use a sleek unibody aluminium laptop.

Looking at notebookcheck.net reviews where they compare the blades against similarly priced laptops, the performance difference can go either way, depending. So it's not just a "slower but prettier" argument all the time either. The vapour chambers in the advanced models really are quite good.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 5600mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
The form factor.

Sure, the 4090 in the Blade might be a bit slower than a 4090 in a laptop twice as big, but it's the same reason people buy a macbook over a workstation laptop. It's easier and nicer to use a sleek unibody aluminium laptop.

Looking at notebookcheck.net reviews where they compare the blades against similarly priced laptops, the performance difference can go either way, depending. So it's not just a "slower but prettier" argument all the time either. The vapour chambers in the advanced models really are quite good.
My current laptop is in the same form factor Asus G16, its not aluminum, its plastic but it has good cooling. I understand its pretty but even that wears out very fast. I'll go back to my life and stop complaining.

I never owned one because I wasnt in their target audience but when I was in that audience, razor was never on my list. I've had high end laptops going back 10+yrs, with my first laptop, sager 2090 in 2007.
The G16 G614JI (i9-13980HX), is the first ASUS laptop I've ever bought, and in principle I have no complaints about its design, except that the chassis is cramped and the components are packed like sardines in a can.
Looking back on a few months of using it, one can resent ASUS' failure to select processors and solder every Intel CPU to the board as it flies, even those copies that are clearly substandard.

ASUS laptops still have the disadvantage that you can't replace the liquid metal on the CPU in them yourself during the warranty period, and unfortunately there is often a need to do so.
Trouble, too, is that their service points are in practice forbidden to interfere with the cooling system (!).

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 5600mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
The G16 G614JI (i9-13980HX), is the first ASUS laptop I've ever bought, and in principle I have no complaints about its design, except that the chassis is cramped and the components are packed like sardines in a can.
Looking back on a few months of using it, one can resent ASUS' failure to select processors and solder every Intel CPU to the board as it flies, even those copies that are clearly substandard.

ASUS laptops still have the disadvantage that you can't replace the liquid metal on the CPU in them yourself during the warranty period, and unfortunately there is often a need to do so.
Trouble, too, is that their service points are in practice forbidden to interfere with the cooling system (!).
I have the same model but with the 4080 instead of a 4070. I kinda like the keyboard but I'm used to 17in models with a number pad. I only wish the video media buttons on the far right where page up, page down keys. That would make this laptop perfect for me.

I have the same model but with the 4080 instead of a 4070. I kinda like the keyboard but I'm used to 17in models with a number pad. I only wish the video media buttons on the far right where page up, page down keys. That would make this laptop perfect for me.
And I like it, but I don't like the Asus seal on the laptop's cooling system, because it ties the hands of users for two years.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 5600mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
And I like it, but I don't like the Asus seal on the laptop's cooling system, because it ties the hands of users for two years.
Are you in the US?, if you are are, that seal doesnt mean anything. If in the US, you have the right to self repair.

Are you in the US?, if you are are, that seal doesnt mean anything. If in the US, you have the right to self repair.
Unfortunately, in the EU, and here the breach of seal is equivalent to the cancellation of warranty services.
In my country, the warranty is provided for a period of 24 months + 6 months of seller's warranty.

Neptune

I will not be able to return it. The laptop was bought in the USA, and now I am in Russia)

But rather in synapse turbo mode the processor is not working at full power, hence these readings.
If you enable overclocking mode with maximum fan speed and lower the voltage to -100 mV, the readings will be different, but the temperature will be at the limit as well

View attachment 337281View attachment 337286View attachment 337288View attachment 337287
I'm more interested to see how you were able to get a 35,000 score. I am getting 25,000 with the same settings using ThrottleStop only. The CPU Overclocking button does not work once you turn off "Undervolt Protection" within the BIOS.