• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-12800HX Overheating Issues

mossy

Hi,

I have been having issues with my Legion 7 16IAX7, specifically with the i7-12800HX processor. Since day one of having this laptop, about one year ago now, the processor has been causing tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling. It seems like the CPU is pushing itself almost too much and is turbo clocking it's speeds way behind necessary leading to high temperatures. I have tried messing around with the throttlestop program but have not really found any changes that seem to make the issue better. Disabling turbo boost makes the temperatures great, but the FPS performance for games gets horrible. Any advice is appreciated.

I have attached screenshots of my current Throttlestop settings.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.png
    2.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.png
    3.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.png
    4.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 62
May I ask about the "tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling", which game(s) are we talking about? Issues with low fps or stutter?

I cross my fingers someone can help you with Throttlestop.

mossy

I'll have issues with really any graphically intensive games (GTA V, Six Siege, Diablo 4, etc.). As long as my CPU does not hit the throttle point of 97 degrees Celsius the game will run perfectly smooth with high fps. In GTA 5 for example, after a couple minutes of gameplay, the CPU will throttle itself to lower it's temps once it hits 97 degrees and my FPS will tank from 165+ fps to 30 FPS for 10 or more seconds until the temps have lowered back to under the 97 degrees. The cycle endlessly continues going back and forth from perfect FPS to significantly lowered FPS as it throttles itself. To me it seems like the CPU is drawing way too much power for what is needed causing the thermal throttling a few minutes after the game launches.
May I ask about the "tons of issues with fps in games due to thermal throttling", which game(s) are we talking about? Issues with low fps or stutter?

I cross my fingers someone can help you with Throttlestop.

This is "normal" in a gaming laptop especially with higher TDP Intel CPU's. What you can do to mitigate it: for thermal paste use Honeywell PTM7950 or PTM7958 (used by Lenovo and Nvidia for 4090) what can work almost as well as a liquid metal without risks, any other thermal paste is probably worse because of the pumpout effect, if you replaced the stock paste with something else than PTM or liquid metal, then you can have +5 Celsius or worse. Clean the vents and the copper elements, radiator elements in the cooler. Use undervolting and laptop cooler stand with large fans.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Use a negative offset voltage for the core and the P cache. Start at -50 mV for both. If that is stable then try -75 mV and then -100 mV. This can help solve your problem.

To slow your computer down a little, adjust the FIVR turbo ratios lower. That lets you decide how much turbo boost to use.

mossy

Use a negative offset voltage for the core and the P cache. Start at -50 mV for both. If that is stable then try -75 mV and then -100 mV. This can help solve your problem.

To slow your computer down a little, adjust the FIVR turbo ratios lower. That lets you decide how much turbo boost to use.
Any idea why my computer bluescreens when I adjust the P cache?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Any idea why my computer bluescreens when I adjust the P cache?
This is a common problem when trying to undervolt 12th Gen CPUs. Try setting mV Boost to 100 or 150. That adds voltage when the MHz are low which can improve stability. You can also try lowering the cache ratio max value before adjusting the cache ratio voltage.

Mythronix

I am telling you, I have the exact same laptop (Legion i7 16IAX7) and experienced everything about the temperature. Instead of undervolting or disabling turbo. |
1. You can also search "Edit power plan" in the control panel or in windows search bar.
2. Go to change advanced power settings "Processor power management"
3. Disable "Processor performance boost mode" after expanding and apply the changes. Note that others have not affect and are the same as aggressive in terms of temperature IDK about the performance differences but temperature is always the same unless you disable it completely.
1721329225456.png

NOTE: If it's not in the options you have to enable the setting via "Registry Editor" (Also found in the windows search bar)
Go to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7" then double click and open attribute and set the value from 1 to 0. Its totally safe. I have tested it it decrease the temp by 30C for real. However it does have an impact for your gaming experience. But it might be better than disabling turbo mode or the same.
1721329019217.png

If you still find it bad you can instead get an good laptop cooling pad which also decreased the temperature by 30C without any settings change or undervolting or disabling boost. (Factory resetting your laptop does not work) If you have been getting this temperature for a while probably you need to also check your hardware. (Yes my laptop fans was clogged, thermal pads melted literally, thermal paste dried. Get all of them fixed however it is not the main factor. Even after I fix them the temperature still sometimes go over 100C literally especially the CPU). Therefore you need a good cooling pad if you don't want the performance to be affected I used something like Llano V12 or V13 it is pricy, I know, it cost around 100dollars. Buy them when in discounts and watch youtube review videos of that which contains either giveaway (good luck on that) or get a coupon which is much better. I get a 10% coupon from youtube review, purchased in prime day another around 20% discount then I have a $100Prime visa credit card so it was almost free for me. It not just lower you temps by also 30C in my laptop but also avoid dust being build. However, it is extremely noisy. Generally around 800 to 1200RPM is good enough and still noisy. You can still hear it clearly with headphones but at least it don't affect your gaming unless you need to hear footsteps, shots, etc.

For those who wants to undervolt: I don't felt any significant changes but if you want to try it first Disable Undervolt protection found in your BIOS. IF you cant find it you need to update your bios to the latest version and then disable it (Bios version older than in 2022 don't have it and after 2024 the bios will have the option to disable the undervolt protection). After use Intel XTU or Throttlestop to undervolt you CPU (GPU can be undervolted, it don't have undervolt protection. However again I don't find any major differences in temps).

I am not a technician but take many days on solving this problem (Yes including factory reset and undervolting and many days figuring how to disable undervolt protection), hopefully this helped everyone to avoiding going to do something that is bad to your laptop or take a lot of your time like I did.

Last edited: