• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you get games for PC?

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
steam+torrent. Purchase only if interested/fan of game and "online" adds something. They could bring back good old DEMOs for people to check before buying. And I don't need all this "passes" BS.
Lets not go this way...torrents are not legal!
& I do not support getting games from torrent...neither is it intension of this topic on this forum to use "illegal ways" of acquiring games!

So if anyone is doing it, please keep it to yourself!
Lets talk here only about legal ways. :cool:

I fully read the terms & services of both Steam & G.O.G.
In the end I have stuck with G.O.G. I have about 80 games currently on G.O.G & I think about 26 or 27 are new raytracing games so far.
I prefer not to ever need to connect to the internet to install a game, so offline installers are must for me. So, this for me killed off A LOT of other PC gaming store platforms.

Since I devoted myself to being on G.O.G only. I went ahead & start making a list of newer games for G.O.G I wanted to try & play. I started with a raytracing game made up from the entries listed on a Pc gaming wiki which has helped a lot. Then I went split that up to DX12 games too. Then I later made a few other lists for some older technologies that I never got to use or try for games like PhysX, SL.I, crossfire, Nvidia 3D vision, & support for 3D Tv's.

If anyone's curious about G.O.G & new type games. G.O.G only has about 45 raytracing games on its store. Which sounds low, but it's around 20% of the amount raytracing games listed on a PC gaming wiki of the 211 raytracing total games.
I hear you...GOG is a very good shop.
Owning there about 300+ games, especially as some games can only be found there! :cool:

Though, of those 300 - I don't have any time to play any: https://www.gog.com/u/KLiKzg

Also, which reminds me...a friend of mine (from IT industry & gaming community) suggested a nice program to get all of those games under one roof - Playnite: https://playnite.link/
I sync it from time to time, when BOINC is not running WCG...& WCG usually have a large down-times. :toast:

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB & WD Blue SN550 500 GB
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 LTSC
Lets not go this way...torrents are not legal!
& I do not support getting games from torrent...neither is it intension of this topic on this forum to use "illegal ways" of acquiring games!

So if anyone is doing it, please keep it to yourself!
Lets talk here only about legal ways. :cool:

I hear you...GOG is a very good shop.
Owning there about 300+ games, especially as some games can only be found there! :cool:

Though, of those 300 - I don't have any time to play any: https://www.gog.com/u/KLiKzg

Also, which reminds me...a friend of mine (from IT industry & gaming community) suggested a nice program to get all of those games under one roof - Playnite: https://playnite.link/
I sync it from time to time, when BOINC is not running WCG...& WCG usually have a large down-times. :toast:
FREE DEMOs MUST be back. Then torrents ain't needed. I play DEMO and decide - whether I want to pay for game or not.

I get my games where its the cheapest at the time of my interest or if they aint on a discount then I buy it from a key site. 'I do have STEAM since the launch of HL 2 but its just another launcher for me at the end of the day so meh I'm not bothered at all to buy games on the other ones if I have to like if its exclusive'
I've used to mostly torrent my games when I was younger but nowadays even when I do it its more like to 'demo' the game.

I also rarely buy games for full price maybe 1-2 times/year if there is something I'm really interested in or waited for years already for the game to be relased.
WHY "LAUNCHER" is needed? :D Shortcut on Desktop, meh?:oops:

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Why own 6000 games if you never play them?
This seems way too time consuming to me.
Hey, it happens...you start with essentials, then you get to 100.
Then you find out about WL, which gives you emails about discounts on Steam.
Then you find SteamDB & learn about seasonal discounts...so you get to 500.
Then you find out about HB & Fanatical bundles...then you acquire some bundles, like list of 200+ pages on HB alone...& you get to 2000 games.
Then you find out about gifting games on SteamGifts....so you give some 1000 games & you get back some 500 back.
& finally you get to Barter, SteamTrades & LesTrades...in which you trade out some 2500 games & you have passed 5000 games...so you ask yourself, why not 6000.

& when you trade with someone with 14000+ games on their account, then you know you can do more! :cool:

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I get it. It's a disease. I see it all the time with people at swap meets. Nothing different here, except being digital instead of physical.

This is not the hobby for me.

Every now and then, I would encourage you to take a mental note of how much time you spend on this hobby and evaluate whether it is getting in the way of other possibilities. I think the end result of this hobby is fruitless and you should make sure it doesn't limit you.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I get it. It's a disease. I see it all the time with people at swap meets. Nothing different here, except being digital instead of physical.

This is not the hobby for me.

Every now and then, I would encourage you to take a mental note of how much time you spend on this hobby and evaluate whether it is getting in the way of other possibilities. I think the end result of this hobby is fruitless and you should make sure it doesn't limit you.

So much negativity about a leisure time activity that you don't even care about. :shadedshu:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
How do I get my games? I buy them.

Ok, tongue in cheek removed. I prefer GOG. Steam as backup. Sometimes I use a place like GMG to buy a key. But I rarely bother, I just wait for a good sale if I am not interested in paying full price.

FREE DEMOs MUST be back. Then torrents ain't needed. I play DEMO and decide - whether I want to pay for game or not.
Do you not own a credit/debit card capable of making a purchase on Steam/GOG/somewhereelse? These stores have return policies that will let you try out more of a game than any old demo did. The only game demo I have ever tried that lasted more than 2 hour, is the Dragon Quest XI demo... I will assume you are not still on dial-up since you torrent shit, not being able to download a game is not be an excuse.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
So much negativity about a leisure time activity that you don't even care about. :shadedshu:
Yes, sure. But also realistic. It is easy to get hooked on something, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good for you. This particular hobby doesn't bear any obvious fruit, so it is important to continue reevaluating.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
WHY "LAUNCHER" is needed? :D Shortcut on Desktop, meh?:oops:
Tbh I don't mind launchers and I like to keep my desktop nice and tidy and not filled up with bunch of shortcuts. 'I already have too many for my taste, anything more is a no no for me'

Yes, sure. But also realistic. It is easy to get hooked on something, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is good for you. This particular hobby doesn't bear any obvious fruit, so it is important to continue reevaluating.
I also have a friend who has a STEAM account worth of 3000+ $ according to him cause he keeps buying games and the funny part is that he hardly plays anything nowadays..:laugh: 'well ok hes kinda rich but still..'

System Name Computer
Processor Intel 12700K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Twin radiator open loop
Memory Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB
Display(s) Asus PG348Q and two Asus VN279Q monitors
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000 with Sennheiser HD599 SE
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200P
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB Wireless
Keyboard Keychron Q3 Max
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10 Pro
I purchase primarily on Steam or GOG these days, but I still have a few dozen games on disc stored in boxes. I have a handful on Origin and Uplay, but I never install those launchers anymore (many on Origin are duplicates I have on disc as well).

If I could reliably find physical copies of most of my modern titles, I would go that route, but most of developers don't offer any kind of physical copy anymore. Even when they have a physical box, it's just a license code.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Mouse Logitech G604
How do I get my games? I buy them.

Ok, tongue in cheek removed. I prefer GOG. Steam as backup. Sometimes I use a place like GMG to buy a key. But I rarely bother, I just wait for a good sale if I am not interested in paying full price.

Do you not own a credit/debit card capable of making a purchase on Steam/GOG/somewhereelse? These stores have return policies that will let you try out more of a game than any old demo did. The only game demo I have ever tried that lasted more than 2 hour, is the Dragon Quest XI demo... I will assume you are not still on dial-up since you torrent shit, not being able to download a game is not be an excuse.
well, modern games also weight such that my connection is "dial-up speed" now or I MUST pay more THAN I ACTUALLY NEED for 0-day surfing, JUST TO DL "game" faster LMFAO? :D

"return-policy"... hell yeah. There is a good trick for purchasing goods that you can return. "No use, no unboxing" - can return. In 14 days. One must be an idiot to BUY such things he/she won't need really. Same here for games. I know there are policies, if you "try" some fixed hours, then you can't claim return lol. Tricky sh*t. ;)

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Steam, EGS, GOG, Microsoft Store, Amazon Prime Gaming, Humble in this order. I avoid key sites and illegitimate means as much as possible.

EGS weekly freebies are great. Always something every week, although they will repeat the giveaway every now and then and you won't have a game for that week. Prime Gaming gives keys every now and then. Excellent resource. Humble hasn't had a great bundle in years, might be a different perspective to someone starting their library just now. 15 years on this road, it is no longer for me.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
I purchase primarily on Steam or GOG these days, but I still have a few dozen games on disc stored in boxes. I have a handful on Origin and Uplay, but I never install those launchers anymore (many on Origin are duplicates I have on disc as well).

If I could reliably find physical copies of most of my modern titles, I would go that route, but most of developers don't offer any kind of physical copy anymore. Even when they have a physical box, it's just a license code.
I've found handhelds to be the last reserve of physical copies. Even that might go, come next generation. Sometimes I wonder how long modern flash-based carts would last, and whether I'd be better off putting my reserve of carts into freezer, hermetically sealed in a tin with plenty of desiccant and oxygen absorber. :p

FWIW I prefer GOG. You keep what you get as long as:

1. Your hardware setup works
2. Your backup scheme keeps up
3. Someone remains to play these games, come hell or high water. :p

well, modern games also weight such that my connection is "dial-up speed" now or I MUST pay more THAN I ACTUALLY NEED for 0-day surfing, JUST TO DL "game" faster LMFAO? :D

"return-policy"... hell yeah. There is a good trick for purchasing goods that you can return. "No use, no unboxing" - can return. In 14 days. One must be an idiot to BUY such things he/she won't need really. Same here for games. I know there are policies, if you "try" some fixed hours, then you can't claim return lol. Tricky sh*t. ;)
You'd be surprised how many 'round here are given to impulsive purchases. :laugh:

Would you rather prefer no return policy? It is suboptimal, true.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X 3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 12G LHR
Storage Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB, Kingston KC3000 NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2724DM, Dell S2522HG
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600s black
Power Supply EVGA supernova G6 850W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Niceboy ORYX K600
Buying or claiming free games on Epic, GoG and Steam

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I use Humble Choice as my main way to buy Games but I do maintain an entertainment budget and will buy a new Game if I want it. It would seem we have reached a plateau (for now) as the price of Games has become a real issue. We went from $59.99 to $79.99 just like that. In the beginning I was probably like most on this site and used Steam Sales. I also like to use Green Man Gaming to get discounts on new Games but lately they give you the Ultimate version of a Game for like $90.

The concept of Game Pass and Epic may seem good for the consumer but it is taking money away from the developer. With both once you update Windows you will regret the things they leave out that are academic for Steam and GOG. If you want older Games get them on GOG. Steam refuses to run Crysis but it runs butter smooth on GOG.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I really only buy what i am going to play. Not gonna just buy or aquire games to fill my "collection" not much point having 6000 games you will probably never even look at. You do get a 6k+ badge on steam so there is that i guess.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
used to buy games from keysites, retail stores, humble and humble bundle...
i dont use gog, nor egs... and i only use steam now...

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB, 2670MHz, 0.93V
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data), ASUS BW-16D1HT (BluRay)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I really only buy what i am going to play. Not gonna just buy or aquire games to fill my "collection" not much point having 6000 games you will probably never even look at. You do get a 6k+ badge on steam so there is that i guess.
Yes it important to discern that its not a true collection because all you are doing is acquiring the license to play the game for a duration of time and the right to display the title of the game on your profile, you aren't in fact owning the game. So the act of license accumulation does not make much sense. Enormous collections does not make sense either, but that's another argument.

It really ought to be GOG but it's mostly Steam. We need to demand the right to leave our game libraries to our loved ones when we pass away. At the very least the offline single player games should be transferable.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
About 8 years ago I realized that Steam was doing this to me so I stopped buying games for this reason.
same, I would get games for $1.99 and never play them. Even the free amazon games on GoG I don't play. probably for the last 15 years or so I just have a small list of games I know I will play and grab them if I see them on sale. Right now it's just the cyberpunk expansion and Elden Ring

FREE DEMOs MUST be back.
gog has a 30 day refund policy
STEAM is 14 days with two hours or less of play time

You do get a 6k+ badge on steam so there is that i guess.
is it this badge?

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact Steel Panel -- Define R2
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower13 750 -- Seasonic X750
Keyboard Epomaker TH80SE/EK21 -- Logi G710+
Software Win10 (both)
I get them on Steam & GoG; and only buy games I know I'm going to play.. or occasionally to support a dev studio that's doing the right thing (even if current offering doesn't really interest me).

Have the 20 Year Steam Badge, but my library is barely 200 games.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Mouse Logitech G604
same, I would get games for $1.99 and never play them. Even the free amazon games on GoG I don't play. probably for the last 15 years or so I just have a small list of games I know I will play and grab them if I see them on sale. Right now it's just the cyberpunk expansion and Elden Ring

gog has a 30 day refund policy
STEAM is 14 days with two hours or less of play time

is it this badge?
demo was roughly also same 2 hours maybe.

peppermint

Mostly Steam and GOG, a handful of games on other platforms like Epic and Ubisoft. Steam is the main one.

like always from i was born...
I was born in 80s in Poland. Behind Iron Curtain. I like have my own copy without restrictions. I like when my files exist on my discs. On Pc or in Vault.
Performance is also better in this case almost always. Do You know gamecopyworld www ? If u need make any backup You can Go there...