• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Breathing new life into an "old" soundcard. Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Yeah soundcards can be very hit or miss depending on the system they are in, and are obviously susceptible to RFI (radio-frequency interference) as well as ground-loop issues. I stopped using my X-Fi Titanium HD in my gaming system because I couldn't fully get rid of the background noise. It was obvious that it was coming from my computer as the noise would change pitch when I moved my mouse, etc. But with an overclocked high-powered CPU and GPU, among other components, it's hard to blame the sound card too much.

I moved my Titanium HD into the computer that I use as a source for my dedicated music stereo. That computer has a very sparse internal layout with only integrated video and no major components next to the soundcard. Even using headphones into my preamp I cannot hear any background noise when the card is used in that system. So it's not a guarentee that there will always be background noise. It's absolutely system dependent.

In my gaming system I use an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty now, feeding an external DAC via optical. My computer is so electrically noisy that even using the external DAC directly via USB still caused background noise / ground loop issues, so being able to use optical to break any possibility of electrical interference was super helpful. And even though I'm not using the DAC that is built-in to the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, I still use CMSS-3D every day when I game and would have a hard time living without it. I have still yet to hear any other algorithm that does a better job than CMSS-3D when it comes to downmixing 7.1 for headphone surround, despite the card's age.

I run 5 different X-Fi cards at the moment. An X-Fi Titanium HD, an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, an X-Fi Titanium, an X-Fi XtremeMusic, and an X-Fi XtremeGamer. All the systems (even the ones not officially supported) have been upgraded to Windows 11 and the cards all work great using the latest Windows 10 driver from 2019.
Hi I just bought the AE-9 and I thought and remembered the CMSS3D, how did you run this card with a different DAC? I will also need to upgrade the oamps on this card, I thought about Burson V7 Vivid or Classic

Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570
Cooling Cooler Master ML360R AIO w/ 6 fans in push/pull
Memory 64GB G'Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Pro + Samsung 980 Pro
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW 144Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 850w
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hi I just bought the AE-9 and I thought and remembered the CMSS3D, how did you run this card with a different DAC? I will also need to upgrade the oamps on this card, I thought about Burson V7 Vivid or Classic

Running a creative card with an external DAC is simple. Just run digital output from the soundcard (either optical or coax) into the external DAC. Then you can still take advantage of the features on the soundcard and benefit from the external DAC at the same time.

You won't want to upgrade the opamps on the card if you are going to use an external DAC though. The opamps would only apply to the DAC on the card itself. You could get an external DAC with removable opamps though.

Running a creative card with an external DAC is simple. Just run digital output from the soundcard (either optical or coax) into the external DAC. Then you can still take advantage of the features on the soundcard and benefit from the external DAC at the same time.

You won't want to upgrade the opamps on the card if you are going to use an external DAC though. The opamps would only apply to the DAC on the card itself. You could get an external DAC with removable opamps though.
thanks at the moment I order also the titanium and not hd because I won't use it's DAC amp anyway. and yes I won't replace it's oamps like you said because I bypass it.

is the titanium HD is 7.1 headphones or 5.1? because I heard it's only 5.1.

on the DAC/AMP Z8 eversolo that I want to buy I need to choose PREAMP or AMP mode? if I need the both DAC and AMP from the device. on windows I don't need to do anything else with the SPDIF settings? like play from SPDIF in one of the creative menus?

Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
is the titanium HD is 7.1 headphones or 5.1? because I heard it's only 5.1.

You can downmix 7.1 to Headphones with CMSS-3D just fine.
on windows I don't need to do anything else with the SPDIF settings? like play from SPDIF in one of the creative menus?

In the Windows Sound Settings, You'll want to make sure that "Speakers" (not "SPDIF Out") is set as default, and that it's configured as "7.1 Surround". The reason to use "Speakers" instead of "SPDIF Out" is because using "Speakers" allows for processing on the card whereas using "SPDIF Out" is more of a shortcut that will bypass things like CMSS-3D.

In the Creative Console Launcher or the Creative Control Panel (I use the Creative Console Launcher), enable CMSS-3D and set your speaker setup to Headphones. In the settings, you will also want to find the tab for "Digital I/O" and check the box for "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output", as this is how you will get that signal out of the digital output after it's been downmixed via CMSS-3D.

creative.jpg

You can downmix 7.1 to Headphones with CMSS-3D just fine.

In the Windows Sound Settings, You'll want to make sure that "Speakers" (not "SPDIF Out") is set as default, and that it's configured as "7.1 Surround". The reason to use "Speakers" instead of "SPDIF Out" is because using "Speakers" allows for processing on the card whereas using "SPDIF Out" is more of a shortcut that will bypass things like CMSS-3D.

In the Creative Console Launcher or the Creative Control Panel (I use the Creative Console Launcher), enable CMSS-3D and set your speaker setup to Headphones. In the settings, you will also want to find the tab for "Digital I/O" and check the box for "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output", as this is how you will get that signal out of the digital output after it's been downmixed via CMSS-3D.

View attachment 350387
yes exactly what I wanted, thanks. this is what I meant, I read it somewhere else but they didn't explain with pictures to see it supports 7.1 If I bought the Titanium instead of the HD it doesn't matter right? it's exactly the same if I bypass the DAC/AMP, I just want to get the best CMSS3D hope it doesn't change something with the HD compared

Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
yes exactly what I wanted, thanks. this is what I meant, I read it somewhere else but they didn't explain with pictures to see it supports 7.1 If I bought the Titanium instead of the HD it doesn't matter right? it's exactly the same if I bypass the DAC/AMP, I just want to get the best CMSS3D hope it doesn't change something with the HD compared

Yes the regular Titanium is fine if you are using an external DAC.

Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
Which drivers will I need to install? Official or Daniels? could you send a link?
Thanks

I've mostly used the latest official drivers (24 Jun 19 release) and the latest Console Launcher Beta (2.61.49):

But I've also used the X-Fi Support Pack on my X-Fi XtremeGamer cards, since they are Dell OEM models that don't work with the official creative drivers.

Functionality should be the same regardless. It might be easier to just use the Support Pack since it has the drivers and the Console Launcher bundled together.

Will I need to use the SecureBoot fix?
Daniel_K's Official Blog (danielkawakami.blogspot.com)
X-Fi Support Pack 8.0 (Refresh 3)

I've never had to mess around with any Secure Boot fix on any computer. I would only worry about it if you have specific issues after installing the driver.

I've mostly used the latest official drivers (24 Jun 19 release) and the latest Console Launcher Beta (2.61.49):

But I've also used the X-Fi Support Pack on my X-Fi XtremeGamer cards, since they are Dell OEM models that don't work with the official creative drivers.

Functionality should be the same regardless. It might be easier to just use the Support Pack since it has the drivers and the Console Launcher bundled together.

I've never had to mess around with any Secure Boot fix on any computer. I would only worry about it if you have specific issues after installing the driver.
Thanks, I am waiting for it to arrive. I made a mistake buying the AE-9 because I planned to use the AE-9 SBX surround with a Z8 EverSolo DAC/AMP but then a friend and I realized looking on the Internet we could do it also with CMSS3D getting an older card. he found Audigy RX5 at Walmart for 30$ and found it Titanium somewhere else.

If you compare the newest SBX with the AE-9 would it sound different than the CMSS3D? not as great as the CMSS3D? because they said they improved it.
A friend has everything, , SXFI, SBX with X3, and CMSS3D Audigy RX5 and SBX AE-5 . he doesn't have external DAC/AMP and headphones like mine which are Utopia 2022 and HD800s so his results will be much different.

Btw, I'll have 2 sound card, which app will I need to use? Titanium and AE-9

SB Connect/connect 2
SB App
SB Command Center

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you compare the newest SBX with the AE-9 would it sound different than the CMSS3D? not as great as the CMSS3D? because they said they improved it.

I've tried the newer implementations and I believe that CMSS-3D continues to hold it's own. Of course, opinions vary...

Btw, I'll have 2 sound card, which app will I need to use? Titanium and AE-9

SB Connect/connect 2
SB App
SB Command Center

Your trying to use two cards at the same time?

For the X-Fi Titanium I configure everything through the Creative Console Launcher. Most of those same settings can also be configured via the Creative Audio Control Panel.

I've tried the newer implementations and I believe that CMSS-3D continues to hold it's own. Of course, opinions vary...

Your trying to use two cards at the same time?

For the X-Fi Titanium I configure everything through the Creative Console Launcher. Most of those same settings can also be configured via the Creative Audio Control Panel.
ha no only one at the time. I am trying to cancel the AE-9 because it seems I won't have any use for it lol, I saw another device that has DTSX!

Did you know about this device??
LG Ultragear GP9
it has DTSX for all games using headphones

I didn't even know they released it.

Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
Did you know about this device??
LG Ultragear GP9
Looks like an overpriced POS little soundbar speaker. I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to use that unless they are looking for a laptop-style audio experience.

it has DTSX for all games using headphones
You can use DTS Headphone:X on ANY audio device, all you have to do is download the package from Microsoft. Note that the Headphone:X functionality is NOT free. I think it's something like $15-20 to "unlock" that feature after the trial expires. So if you are going to go that route, you might as well just get an external DAC, connect it to your PC via USB, and then download the DTS pack.

Is DTS Headphone:X better than CMSS-3D? In my opinion, no. But opinions vary. Since the DTS pack offers a free trial of DTS Headphone:X, I'd encourage you to decide for yourself.

yes you can use d
Looks like an overpriced POS little soundbar speaker. I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to use that unless they are looking for a laptop-style audio experience.

You can use DTS Headphone:X on ANY audio device, all you have to do is download the package from Microsoft. Note that the Headphone:X functionality is NOT free. I think it's something like $15-20 to "unlock" that feature after the trial expires. So if you are going to go that route, you might as well just get an external DAC, connect it to your PC via USB, and then download the DTS pack.

Is DTS Headphone:X better than CMSS-3D? In my opinion, no. But opinions vary. Since the DTS pack offers a free trial of DTS Headphone:X, I'd encourage you to decide for yourself.
yes you can use dtsX with everything but LG added properitery technology so you will have dtsX properly not only on Atmos or dtsX supported game. you can plug headphones there , you don't need to hear the speaker . the app only add support for supported games. with this every game will work with dtsX tech like it is supported !

Is it possible to passthrough the VSS with Asus cards too? using external DAC/AMP? for example, the ASUS XONAR U7 MKII USB 7.1 or Asus Soar, they have optical out.

I got the Asus U7 MKII seems to work through SPDIF using Z8 EverSolo DAC/PREAMP , sounds pretty good, still need to change the PCM Effects for better fit for the Utopia 2022 because they are damn fast and fast is not very good for surround

I got my titanium finally, for now it sounds good, but it's seemed very different than spatial like compared to Immerse Embody Logitech Head Tracking Spatial surround

How do I do RMAA test with the Titanium card and the X4? I'm confused where I need to connect LINE IN LINE OUT.

The official creative drivers are catastrophic, so many bugs, Daniels works better but the problem is every restart or sign off it revert to 2/2.1 stereo, how do I fix that it stays Headphones?

Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
I got my titanium finally, for now it sounds good, but it's seemed very different than spatial like compared to Immerse Embody Logitech Head Tracking Spatial surround

Just keep in mind that for CMSS-3D headphone to work properly, you need Windows to be configured as 7.1, and then the Creative Console Launcher / Creative Audio Control Panel set as "Headphones". That will cause 7.1 content to downmix properly to 2.0 Headphones via CMSS-3D. If it's only set as Stereo in Windows then CMSS-3D will be doing almost nothing.

The official creative drivers are catastrophic, so many bugs, Daniels works better but the problem is every restart or sign off it revert to 2/2.1 stereo, how do I fix that it stays Headphones?

I'm not sure, I've never had that issue with the official drivers. Which mode do you have the sound card in? (Game mode? Entertainment mode?) Are you using the Creative Console Launcher or the Creative Audio Control Panel?

Just keep in mind that for CMSS-3D headphone to work properly, you need Windows to be configured as 7.1, and then the Creative Console Launcher / Creative Audio Control Panel set as "Headphones". That will cause 7.1 content to downmix properly to 2.0 Headphones via CMSS-3D. If it's only set as Stereo in Windows then CMSS-3D will be doing almost nothing.

I'm not sure, I've never had that issue with the official drivers. Which mode do you have the sound card in? (Game mode? Entertainment mode?) Are you using the Creative Console Launcher or the Creative Audio Control Panel?
yes that's what I did windows 7.1 and headphones cl control panel.Daniel has too many other issues it always revert to stereo when I put 7.1 and after sign out sign in or restart. unuseable
someone else made version 2.17 that works with bypass signing and 2.40 version but it works for sb0870 , for me it bsod or freeze when it install the driver. must be something with the SPDIF bug that freeze the system Daniel fixed.

he also said the THD for official 2.40 is the worst, is it still possible when I use it as SPDIF or just connected directly ? cause else his drivers are better than creative official. he modified and fixed it in his modified drivers 2.17 and 2.40
from here
Post in thread 'Modified driver for X-Fi Titanium series sound cards XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019' https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-xfti_pcdrv_l11_2_40_0019.321318/post-5283307

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Mine is dead, something might have short on it, started acting all weird after some pc cleanup, then on next restart it nearly blew my speakers, I'm pretty sure it blew trough my creative's 7.1 mid channel amp...
I fiddled around some, including changing pcie slots and it was no good anymore...
Right now I'm using the fairly good onboard audio for speakers and external DAC for headphones...
Need to figure where to go from here though...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Mine is dead, something might have short on it, started acting all weird after some pc cleanup, then on next restart it nearly blew my speakers, I'm pretty sure it blew trough my creative's 7.1 mid channel amp...
I fiddled around some, including changing pcie slots and it was no good anymore...
Right now I'm using the fairly good onboard audio for speakers and external DAC for headphones...
Need to figure where to go from here though...
Not sure what country you are in but if you contact northridgefix it might be a solution

There is crackling when using the SoundBlaster Titanium, I am using the Daniel's drivers, any fix to that? it sounds even when using the Windows volume slider on left and right. from the SPDIF directly and not from Speakers, there is no crackling. any idea how to fix this???

K after testing, the small crackling happens when using 96Khz, now we can't change it because the creative driver doesn't let us if we don't disable the Flex Jack option and it can be only do it with Daniels drivers, the default always 96Khz
The problem is
With 48Khz the sound is clean there are no small crackling but if opening the Windows volume speaker it will be fine first time, 2nd time, but for example 3rd time it will crackle a lot, none stop until reopening the volume speaker again. this is very repetitive; I will check games if this is random like that.

With 96Khz even when I set everything to 96Khz correctly in the Windows Speaker settings and in the Creative CP there is slight crackling everywhere, in games, windows sound volume all the time.

So, first question is there a way to fix 96Khz? because all driver except this driver let us change it to 48Khz. Second is there to fix 48Khz so it won't crackling at all?

EDIT : Testing, when switching between the Speakers it would randomly crackling same as the Windows Volume ........ it's impossible to use it like this

@GotNoRice any fix to that?

1721466658961.png

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 11 Pro
There is crackling when using the SoundBlaster Titanium, I am using the Daniel's drivers, any fix to that?
There are a lot of things about your experience that are very different than mine, maybe because I use the official drivers and not the Daniel K drivers (except on my Dell OEM XremeGamer cards).

I will say that there are rare occasions when I will get a sound flickering issue. It's very rare, maybe a handful of times per year at most. I usually leave my card in Game mode. To resolve it I quickly switch it to Entertainment mode, and then back to Game mode. This seems to reset the SPDIF interface. Maybe this could help in your case.

from the SPDIF directly and not from Speakers, there is no crackling.
Just keep in mind that using the SPDIF output directly will bypass all processing on the card. It's useful if you want to be able to do things like pass a Dolby Digital or DTS signal to a receiver, but other than that you should always use "Speakers" and not the SPDIF output directly.

K after testing, the small crackling happens when using 96Khz, now we can't change it because the creative driver doesn't let us if we don't disable the Flex Jack option and it can be only do it with Daniels drivers
The FlexiJack should not be related to the digital output in any way on the X-Fi Titanium. The X-Fi Titanium has a dedicated Optical digital output. Other X-Fi cards use the FlexiJack option to enable coax digital via one of the headphone jacks, but that doesn't apply to the X-Fi Titanium. Are you seeing something different here?

Flexi1.jpg

, the default always 96Khz
The problem is
With 48Khz the sound is clean there are no small crackling but if opening the Windows volume speaker it will be fine first time, 2nd time, but for example 3rd time it will crackle a lot, none stop until reopening the volume speaker again. this is very repetitive; I will check games if this is random like that.

With 96Khz even when I set everything to 96Khz correctly in the Windows Speaker settings and in the Creative CP there is slight crackling everywhere, in games, windows sound volume all the time.

So, first question is there a way to fix 96Khz? because all driver except this driver let us change it to 48Khz. Second is there to fix 48Khz so it won't crackling at all?

EDIT : Testing, when switching between the Speakers it would randomly crackling same as the Windows Volume ........ it's impossible to use it like this

@GotNoRice any fix to that?

View attachment 355795

Another case where your settings seem to diverge from mine.

Flexi2.jpg

It's okay for the Sampling Rate Settings to not be adjustable here, because they should not be different than in Windows Settings, and you can set it there:

WindowsSoundSettings.jpg

In this configuration, my DAC recognizes 24/96 from the X-Fi just fine. I can play 24/96 digital files on the computer just fine.

Why are you trying to set your soundcard to 48kHz but leave it at 96kHz in the Windows Sound Settings? Even if you have the option to adjust it, there is no reason for these settings to be different. It's okay to leave your card at 96kHz, and it should be able to handle any resampling that might be needed to play other files.

There are a lot of things about your experience that are very different than mine, maybe because I use the official drivers and not the Daniel K drivers (except on my Dell OEM XremeGamer cards).

I will say that there are rare occasions when I will get a sound flickering issue. It's very rare, maybe a handful of times per year at most. I usually leave my card in Game mode. To resolve it I quickly switch it to Entertainment mode, and then back to Game mode. This seems to reset the SPDIF interface. Maybe this could help in your case.

Just keep in mind that using the SPDIF output directly will bypass all processing on the card. It's useful if you want to be able to do things like pass a Dolby Digital or DTS signal to a receiver, but other than that you should always use "Speakers" and not the SPDIF output directly.

The FlexiJack should not be related to the digital output in any way on the X-Fi Titanium. The X-Fi Titanium has a dedicated Optical digital output. Other X-Fi cards use the FlexiJack option to enable coax digital via one of the headphone jacks, but that doesn't apply to the X-Fi Titanium. Are you seeing something different here?

View attachment 355838

Another case where your settings seem to diverge from mine.

View attachment 355839

It's okay for the Sampling Rate Settings to not be adjustable here, because they should not be different than in Windows Settings, and you can set it there:

View attachment 355840

In this configuration, my DAC recognizes 24/96 from the X-Fi just fine. I can play 24/96 digital files on the computer just fine.

Why are you trying to set your soundcard to 48kHz but leave it at 96kHz in the Windows Sound Settings? Even if you have the option to adjust it, there is no reason for these settings to be different. It's okay to leave your card at 96kHz, and it should be able to handle any resampling that might be needed to play other files.
96Khz in the Creative CP is causing me small crackling 24/7 in every sound. the only fix is to use 48Khz.

And in Windows, the only fix the random crackling which happens 2nd or 3rd time is to use 96Khz in the Windows Speaker settings.

I moved to the Official Creative drivers with the Daniels Mod, allowing me to change the PCM in the Creative CP. and FlexJack does not exist.

Daniels drivers don't work properly, it adds Input lag and weird sluggish to the os. with all the crackling issues.