• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Isolates Root Cause of Raptor Lake Stability Issues to a Faulty eTVB Microcode Algorithm

Only the i9's have thermal velocity boost. i7's and below have the standard turbo boost.

Depends what you mean by affected, the microcode is a thing on every CPU, but the microcode update should effectively "patch" the problem.

Does every single 14900 show the symptom? Dont know, I think silicon lottery may have a bearing on it.

From where I sit if you was to buy a 14900(k) you have a few options if you paranoid about it.
1 - Disable TVB in the bios. You lose some potential peak performance. Will still have standard turbo boost.
2 - Apply intel stock settings, May lose performance in heavy threaded loads, hit limits much easier.
3 - Update to the latest microcode, May lose some peak performance but not as much as disabling TVB.

I thought I had seen i7's mentioned as well when the subject first surfaced, but maybe not. If the problem is TVB that's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow for i9 owners. It's better overall though for Intel if it was only isolated to i9's I suppose though those are also the most expensive chips they sell and hardest to produce in the event of a recall rather than a patch.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
From where I sit if you was to buy a 14900(k) you have a few options if you paranoid about it.
1 - Disable TVB in the bios. You lose some potential peak performance. Will still have standard turbo boost.
2 - Apply intel stock settings, May lose performance in heavy threaded loads, hit limits much easier.
3 - Update to the latest microcode, May lose some peak performance but not as much as disabling TVB.
If you do any of the above, you're effectively losing out on what Intel promised to you as a buyer of the Core i9. If you ask me, that's their fault; they knowingly pushed their chips to the breaking point and one step further all to squeeze out that last bit of performance.

Intel again shows us how to save face while lowering performance of affected products.
I learned that lesson with Sandy Bridge when Spectre/Meltdown mitigations severely dropped performance. Since then i've been buying only Zen and thus far no performance degradation. I just cant trust Intel's claims or that they wont nerf performance down the line.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
i just upgraded a few days ago YES i was looking for a 13900k not the 14900k because its the same as 13900k best i found is $400 for the 13900K, But when i saw the 12900KS NEW factory sealed for $200 out the door and and it was just 1 mile away pickup then i said ok thats the way i will go.
That's a great deal, but it's not what I meant. What I mean is, now with the 12900KS in your system, you're not gonna think about upgrading to 13th or 14th gen, are you?

I got the impression that they bought 12900KS in place of spending more on 13th/14th gen because at that price it was a pretty exceptional deal. Based on that I'm guessing it's doubtful other than 2nd hand market later down the road if they become dirt cheap and can stave off a rebuild well enough. Seems more likely they'd put the money saved towards a GPU or more memory or something else.

System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
Translation : Sorry our CPUs just can't keep up without super aggressive on-the-edge tuning that breaks the CPUs IRL.
This^

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Its true though, intel can't compete in any other way except by cranking up the power and heat, then saying "look we won! We are the best!"
Yeah, but at what cost? In a lot of cases, our electricity bills and potential future silicon degradation.

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-12900KS 5.2GHZ All P-Cores ,4.2GHZ All E-Cores & Ring 4.2GhZ
Motherboard NZXT N5 Z690 Wi-Fi 6
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem. Re-pasted MX6
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Its true though, intel can't compete in any other way except by cranking up the power and heat, then saying "look we won! We are the best!"

Intel were competing though, AMD had to resort to slapping some cache on the top to compete. Without the 3Dvcache it's AMD who would be behind. In a straight non Vcahce contest regardless of power Intel is better in everything.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Intel were competing though, AMD had to resort to slapping some cache on the top to compete. Without the 3Dvcache it's AMD who would be behind. In a straight non Vcahce contest regardless of power Intel is better in everything.
1. That's only true for gaming. The world doesn't revolve around gaming, you know.
2. Does being ahead or behind by a couple of percent in gaming performance really matter?

System Name HELL->o!
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S Ace Max
Cooling BeQuiet! Pure Loop 2 FX 280
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill RipjawsV 3600CL14 [14-14-14-34]@1.456V
Video Card(s) 6800 XT Red Devil
Storage 4x M.2; 3x Sata SSD
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD & MSI MP251
Case BeQuiet! Dark Base PRO 901
Audio Device(s) JBL 4305p & JBL 4329p | EPOS H3PRO Hybrid
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Mouse ReDragon M711 FPS
Keyboard ReDragon Broadsword
Software Win10 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Call me a tinfoil hat nutter, i think this was not a mistake, i think this was done on purpose to be able to top AMD in some cases.
Their power/boost guidelines have been unclear for years at this point.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Call me a tinfoil hat nutter, i think this was not a mistake, i think this was done on purpose to be able to top AMD in some cases.
I don't think that they were aware of the root of the issues until now (they probably didn't even care considering they tried to blame it on motherboard makers), but I agree that it's a result of chasing benchmarks.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
It's pretty obvious they used power consumption to stay competitive. We see it often enough, when we push engineering to its limit something eventually has to give. It was just a means to buy time until they can hopefully get something more reasonable out the door.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
If you do any of the above, you're effectively losing out on what Intel promised to you as a buyer of the Core i9. If you ask me, that's their fault; they knowingly pushed their chips to the breaking point and one step further all to squeeze out that last bit of performance.

The fact its stable at intel stock means intel is not the sole culprit, I wont change my view on that personally, board vendors want to sell motherboards so they differentiate by applying their own default pre tuned configurations.

If you buy a CPU they promise maximum specified turbo clocks (which are not assured, turbo clocks have never ever been assured on any GPU or CPU product in my lifetime), Review results are not a promise.

Personally I wouldnt be buying a raptor lake (or refresh) i9 chip.

"AMD had to resort to a technological improvement to make a better product, without this improvement they would be behind"

You sound ridiculous

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
"AMD had to resort to a technological improvement to make a better product, without this improvement they would be behind"

You sound ridiculous

Yeah right, using someone elses tech to improve their product, you funny doctor jones. AMD design and make nothing, at least intel actually design all and make some of their own stuff. If Intel have a problem with something, they can rejig build and test in house, What do AMD do, get in touch with TSMC

Does being ahead or behind by a couple of percent in gaming performance really matter?

Well it does seem to be on TPU anyway, how many times are AMD totued as the best gaming CPU, and what else? Intel beats them on everything else. Who games 24/7? So why buy a CPU that is the best at gaming and not at the other stuff you spend more time doing.

All these replies to my comment do is show the true anti intel sentiment on TPU

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well it does seem to be on TPU anyway, how many times are AMD totued as the best gaming CPU, and what else? Intel beats them on everything else. Who games 24/7? So why buy a CPU that is the best at gaming and not at the other stuff you spend more time doing.

Why would you buy a CPU that's good for "anything else" when you only use it for gaming? It's not being anti-Intel, it's just called buying what you need.

If you look at my main system specs, you'll find all AMD because I find it to be better value than the competition and better suited for my needs these days. My two HTPCs and my netbook don't need to be cutting edge, so they're all Intel + Nvidia (as it was better value at that time). If you still get anti-Intel vibes from me, that's your imagination I'm afraid.

SL2

No, it shows that you're trying to defend Intel no matter what, thread after thread.

EIGHTEEN months after the launch of the 13900K, Intel has yet to come up with a solution for a problem that end users had to point out.

Still, running Intel CPU's with that high power consumption is innovation compared to adding cache?

If you want defend Intel, this is not the thread for it. They've taken zero responsibility so far. Stop feeling sad in the eye, you brought this on yourself.

Yeah right, using someone elses tech to improve their product, you funny doctor jones. AMD design and make nothing, at least intel actually design all and make some of their own stuff.

How is it not their own tech? They are the ones to have the idea to add cache on top of the cpu and designed a working model of that idea, then used TSMC fabrication technology to put that into practice. Just like Intel is doing with foveros and emib except intel is vertically integrated with their own fabs so they have to design both parts of the solution. If AMD did nothing and just used someone else's tech how come they're the only ones doing it?

If you want to use that stupid argument, well neither of them does anything, they're all just using what ASML makes possible with their machines, it's a ridiculous idea.

Yeah right, using someone elses tech to improve their product, you funny doctor jones.
You make it sound like AMD sneaked in the the middle of the night and stole TSMC's secrets.
Also as if Intel makes everything in house - they dont.
AMD design and make nothing, at least intel actually design all and make some of their own stuff.
And how is that working out for Intel? Not very well considering how much TSMC's process nodes they use in their next desktop and mobile series.
Not to mention their dGPU's that are exclusively made by TSMC.
If Intel have a problem with something, they can rejig build and test in house,
And AMD cant? Look at some GN's videos from AMD labs. They most certainly do in house testing.
What do AMD do, get in touch with TSMC
Depends on the issue. Obviously not even Intel can produce a new revision or a re-spin in house if it's TSMC made silicon.
Well it does seem to be on TPU anyway, how many times are AMD totued as the best gaming CPU, and what else?
What do you mean by "what else?" How about better security, lower power consumption, better platform longevity, less restrictions on cheaper chipsets etc.
Intel beats them on everything else.
At what cost and power? And by how much? Single digit percentages mostly at the expense of 2-3x the power.
Who games 24/7? So why buy a CPU that is the best at gaming and not at the other stuff you spend more time doing.
I wasn't aware that X3D chips were no good for anything outside gaming. You make it sound like they're Bulldozers when it comes to non gaming tasks. In reality i doubt most people would notice the difference in blind test between X3D and 14th gen in boot time, application performance etc.
It's Anti-BS sentiment. Don't think that people here have not criticized AMD (justly) when they have deserved it.
This thread is about Intel's screwup.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
It's pretty obvious they used power consumption to stay competitive. We see it often enough, when we push engineering to its limit something eventually has to give. It was just a means to buy time until they can hopefully get something more reasonable out the door.
It's not the first time Intel has done something shady just so they can say they are the best in Benchmarks, then when mitigations are implemented and performance drops, they then claim their next gen is x% better than the last, and the cycle repeats.

System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
they probably didn't even care considering they tried to blame it on motherboard makers
Exactly the case here.
running Intel CPU's with that high power consumption is innovation compared to adding cache?
This^

Hope Intel learns and that they won't make the same mistake again with Arrow Lake going forward. Fingers crossed!

Otherwise it'll be like the GPU market share. By that I mean, it'll be 90% AMD and 10% Intel if this behavior continues.

And that does NOT bode well, for competition's sake. We need competition to drive innovation and of course, for better prices.

It would something radical from Intel to go with them for my next build. My current Ryzen build is almost 4 years old and due for an upgrade. It runs cool and quiet, had a couple issues with the first 6 months of Windows 11 release, but who didn't at that time? After that was sorted everyhting is back to running flawless. Considering a Ryzen 9700X for my next build.

Intel needs a 3-5x performance per watt increase for me to go back (for real, just look at 7800X3D benchmarks right here at TPU, Intel is appalling in efficiency). A new architecture and moving away from their ancient lithography to Intel 20A might might do it.

Last edited: