• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opinions on AI

Is the world better off with AI?

• Better.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • Worse.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Other (please specify in comment).

Votes: 37 27.2%

• Total voters
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
i am pretty sure ai have vast political effects, so political opinions are valid way to talk about ai and its effects on the world, governments, laws, and environment. and the future of humans.
sure it's valid but at the same time lets respect the forum mods that are following guidelines. You can always go on other forums (rhymes with mechtrot) with mods that will push their political agenda into threads.

System Name deleted account.
That's cool, but check the TPU guidelines on political discussions before posting.

FWIW, AI really doesn't require political inference. That's just for the triggered crackpots who have knee-jerk reactionary histrionics about the current system of overbearing 'safety first' LLM responses (created to mitigate well-documented inherent bias.)

Governments don't directly create AI. It's handled by companies that have huge investment from private sources. The only foreseeable complication is where national laws restrict AI. Such as states where even the internet is locked down.

This is why an AGI, free of moral consequence, is the only true AI. It won't be beholden to any specific cultural sway. It won't be tied to religious dogma. But, I don't think any private corporation has the will (or profit motive) to create such a thing.
non of this makes sense, sure you are a human? you sure wish you were a cyborg thing or something.
leaver any ai shit out of forums, real world thing best left to the real world.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Governments don't directly create AI.
But it will affect their economies and further exacerbate wealth inequality and lack of jobs. That's a political problem that affects all of us, as does how those governments choose to tackle (or not) that problem.

Really, the discussion around "AI" is just a new phase in the discussion around what happens to capitalism in this era of plenty. Technology has provided us the means to live in a utopia where everyone's basic needs are provided for free, yet instead the rich get fewer and richer while the poor increase and get poorer. Where does it end? How do we fix it? Why do we continue to choose governments who have sold their souls to the billionaires?

Last edited:
McDonalds are dropping the AI trial they had going for drive through ordering:

I really think people are heavily glossing over some of the big flaws with the LLM approach to AI, there will be more where this came from. The hype and reality are very, very far apart for the moment.

Especially in regards to getting usable products that offer a good use case advantage over existing technology in the near future, that will generate $$$ from an end user.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
AI has a million applications, being political, or influencing politics is quite possibly one of them. Having an opinion on this side of AI and sharing it here is fine, in my opinion - within forum guidelines, of course.

But sharing opinion on politics directly (influenced by AI or anything else), well, that's something else.

McDonalds are dropping the AI trial they had going for drive through ordering:

I really think people are heavily glossing over some of the big flaws with the LLM approach to AI, there will be more where this came from. The hype and reality are very, very far apart for the moment.

Especially in regards to getting usable products that offer a good use case advantage over existing technology in the near future, that will generate $$$ from an end user.
From the article: "McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski told CNBC in June 2021 that voice-recognition technology was accurate about 85% of the time, but human staff had to assist with about one in five orders."

So if I ordered through AI voice recognition, there was an 85% chance that my order went through and I got my burger? Wow, that's... erm... :roll:

For "now" you're really underestimating the amount of money riding on this!

Probably the last $2 trillion or so came up with just this AI hype & that's only for Nvidia :shadedshu:

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
For "now" you're really underestimating the amount of money riding on this!

Probably the last $2 trillion or so came up with just this AI hype & that's only for Nvidia :shadedshu:
1. How much of that money is generated by people buying into hype and how much of it is some actual useful application of AI?
2. Just because something is hyped by many, it doesn't mean it actually deserves it (regardless of how good it actually is).

I mean we've already seen this with crypto, oil, stocks, tulips et al.

The point is there's more money to be made by removing/laying off employees ~ that's just a fact. If this hasn't worked now doesn't mean it won't work 5 years from now? The amount riding on making AI work is so much more than anything "hoping" for a status quo!

AI for me sounds like a way to reduce workforce in the short to medium term, longer term yes I also expect Skynet to come along ~ let's just hope we don't get to see that in our lifetimes :pimp:

Software Windows 10 Pro
I mean we've already seen this with crypto, oil, stocks, tulips et al.

The point is there's more money to be made by removing/laying off employees ~ that's just a fact. If this hasn't worked now doesn't mean it won't work 5 years from now? The amount riding on making AI work is so much more than anything "hoping" for a status quo!

AI for me sounds like a way to reduce workforce in the short to medium term, longer term yes I also expect Skynet to come along ~ let's just hope we don't get to see that in our lifetimes :pimp:
The intention is definitely there, and while I'm not sure AI will succeed in laying off employees, it definitely has the potential to make things easier for many. Whether it will or not is the question, imo.

I'm also sure that the hype will quiet down, and it'll all be a normal everyday thing, just like it happened with crypto. We'll just have to endure a few more "AI PC cases", "AI PSUs" and "AI mice" until then.

I Will Fucking Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again — Ludicity (mataroa.blog)

TL;DR: AI has a lot of applications, but the #1 application is fraud and stealing of money right now. The way this works is: start a company saying you're into AI. 2. Take people's money. 3. Profit.

There's so much hype-cycle on AI that its impossible to tell the difference between legitimate data-science, legitimate-AI, and the grifters. We're in dire need of a cleaning out of the ecosystem. The hype has gotten ahead of the legitimate solutions.

Most organizations cannot ship the most basic applications imaginable with any consistency, and you're out here saying that the best way to remain competitive is to roll out experimental technology that is an order of magnitude more sophisticated than anything else your I.T department runs, which you have no experience hiring for, when the organization has never used a GPU for anything other than junior engineers playing video games with their camera off during standup, and even if you do that all right there is a chance that the problem is simply unsolvable due to the characteristics of your data and business? This isn't a recipe for disaster, it's a cookbook for someone looking to prepare a twelve course fucking catastrophe.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
non of this makes sense, sure you are a human? you sure wish you were a cyborg thing or something.
leaver any ai shit out of forums, real world thing best left to the real world.
Honestly his post made a lot more sense than yours.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.425V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I Will Fucking Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again — Ludicity (mataroa.blog)

TL;DR: AI has a lot of applications, but the #1 application is fraud and stealing of money right now. The way this works is: start a company saying you're into AI. 2. Take people's money. 3. Profit.

There's so much hype-cycle on AI that its impossible to tell the difference between legitimate data-science, legitimate-AI, and the grifters. We're in dire need of a cleaning out of the ecosystem. The hype has gotten ahead of the legitimate solutions.

Hahaha I came here on this thread specifically to link this

cathartic read