• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron Compete for GDDR7 Dominance

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Competition among Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron is intensifying, with a focus on enhancing processing speed and efficiency in graphics DRAM (GDDR) for AI accelerators and cryptocurrency mining. Compared with High Bandwidth Memory (HBM), the GDDR7 has a faster data processing speed and a relatively low price. Since Nvidia is expected to use next-generation GDDR7 with its GeForce RTX50 Blackwell GPUs, competition will likely be as strong as the demand. We can see that by looking, for example, at the pace of new GDDR7 releases from the past two years.

In July 2022, Samsung Electronics developed the industry's first 32 Gbps GDDR7 DRAM, capable of processing up to 1.5 TB of data per second, a 1.4 times speed increase and 20% better energy efficiency compared to GDDR6. In February 2023, Samsung demonstrated its first GDDR7 DRAM with a pin rate of 37 Gbps. On June 4, Micron launched its new GDDR7 at Computex 2024, with speeds up to 32 Gbps, a 60% increase in bandwidth, and a 50% improvement in energy efficiency over the previous generation. Shortly after, SK Hynix introduced a 40 Gbps GDDR7, showcased again at Computex 2024, doubling the previous generation's bandwidth to 128 GB per second and improving energy efficiency by 40%.

GDDR vs HBM memory

GPUs with GDDR memory:
  • More common and easier to find
  • Cheaper because the memory is attached to the circuit board, not the chip
  • Fast enough for most regular uses
  • Use more power and are less efficient

GPUs with HBM memory:
  • Less common and harder to find
  • Expensive, usually in top-end products like the H100
  • Used for special tasks that need a lot of data processing power
  • More efficient and can handle more data at once

According to research made by Omdia, it is expected that graphics DRAM will account for 15% of the entire DRAM market by the end of this year, from 7% in 2022. Whether we like it or not, the AI boom and companies' rush towards these new technologies will largely dictate the evolution of the market for the next two or three years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Whether we like it or not, the AI boom and companies' rush towards these new technologies will largely dictate the evolution of the market for the next two or three years.
Well.... D.U.H. !

Hello Omdia, this is 2022 calling, and we want ALL our outdated, AI-generated PR's back, like, yesterday :D

SK Hynix dominates the HBM market.
Samsung dominates the memory market as a whole.
Micron dominates the litigation market:

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
"32 Gbps GDDR7 DRAM"

What is the 32 Gbps measuring? 32 Gbps per what? Per IC? Per Pin/connection? Am I the only one that feels that when it comes to DRAM specifically the manufacturers use very ambiguous and vague terms....just like with their manufacturing nodes....they call them 1β for example, what's that about? How am I supposed to compare that to other manufacturers' processes?

Back to the 32Gbps...I feel like these speeds are thrown around a lot, especially when discussing GPUs, but they never specific to what they refer....maybe I'm just the only one

"32 Gbps GDDR7 DRAM"

What is the 32 Gbps measuring? 32 Gbps per what? Per IC? Per Pin/connection? Am I the only one that feels that when it comes to DRAM specifically the manufacturers use very ambiguous and vague terms....just like with their manufacturing nodes....they call them 1β for example, what's that about? How am I supposed to compare that to other manufacturers' processes?

Back to the 32Gbps...I feel like these speeds are thrown around a lot, especially when discussing GPUs, but they never specific to what they refer....maybe I'm just the only one
It's per pin, so a 256-bit bus would have around 1 TB/s of bandwidth.

So essentially it's the signaling rate, since those devices can be configured to have any arbitary bus width.

You aren't supposed to compare it to other manufacturer nodes too, those are just purely marketing name. The technical details to compare manufacturing nodes for memory would probably go over the head of most people(myself included).

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
How am I supposed to compare that to other manufacturers' processes
Apparently, you missed that memo, the one that says: "Absolutely ZERO comparisons allowed, we are 100% authorized to confuse and commiserate consumers, and there aint nuthin you can do about it" /s

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Apparently, you missed that memo, the one that says: "Absolutely ZERO comparisons allowed, we are 100% authorized to confuse and commiserate consumers, and there aint nuthin you can do about it" /s
Hahaha!

It's per pin, so a 256-bit bus would have around 1 TB/s of bandwidth.

So essentially it's the signaling rate, since those devices can be configured to have any arbitary bus width.

You aren't supposed to compare it to other manufacturer nodes too, those are just purely marketing name. The technical details to compare manufacturing nodes for memory would probably go over the head of most people(myself included).
Thanks, would it be so hard to include the "per pin" part? I'd like to know the difference between nodes...I see enthusiasts talking about hynix vs samsung vs micron ICs all the time and I feel like it's all just a bunch of alchemy/psuedo-science without actually detailing what makes them different...either way, thanks for the answer!

System Name Yes
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
I can't stand AI generated images when there is nothing real in them.
also boasting 40Gbps for prestige, only 28 at first. 60 series for the real thing.