• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

should i trust HP

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Ummm, sorry but no! It is not normal. There should never be any swelling. Swelling typically indicates the battery got too hot - never good. Excessive heat could have come from outside source (laptop left in a hot car, for example) damaging the battery. Not good. Or an internal, partial short in the battery caused excessive current which typically increases heat. Also not good.
These aren't batteries with cylindrical cells, they are prismatic/pouch batteries. HP support page says [yes I know what the topic title is, and the answer is no, but still]:
Swollen battery is not a safety issue

A swollen battery does not present a safety issue. It is the result of the generation of gases per the normal degradation of the battery cell over time, which causes the battery to expand. HP has worked closely with our battery cell suppliers and third-party industry experts to help minimize the potential for HP batteries to swell over time and to identify that swollen batteries are not a safety issue.

Discontinue using a swollen battery

After you notice that your notebook has a swollen battery, immediately discontinue use of the notebook to protect your hardware. Be sure that you disconnect the notebook from AC power as well.

At Dell:
Swollen battery may impact the performance of the laptop. To prevent possible further damage to the device enclosure or internal components leading to malfunction, discontinue the use of the laptop and discharge it by disconnecting the AC adapter and letting the battery drain.
Discharge it: this one is important. Swelling is partly reversible, an empty battery has less gas pressure and apart from that, less energy to burn.

And Lenovo:
Abnormal Battery Swelling

All lithium-polymer batteries exhibit a small amount of swelling during charge and discharge cycles. Swelling which leads to noticeable bulging of the battery pack or your system is abnormal. Abnormal swelling can occur for a number of reasons including: exposure to high temperature, extended time at full charge, extended cycling, over-discharge while in storage, or damage due to being dropped or deformed.

In most cases, a swollen battery which has resulted in mechanical damage to your system does not present a safety risk , as the swelling is primarily from harmless carbon dioxide (CO2) gas generation. However, in some rare instances, excessive swelling may lead to hazardous conditions.

The device case must be designed to accomodate for some swelling. One of the Samsung phones or Notes wasn't, which resulted in fires (even more fires than Li batteries would otherwise cause).

Unfortunately it's hard to know how much is too much, and manufacturers aren't really trying to make it clearer for us - you can also see that from the examples I cited. A Google picture search for "swollen lithium battery" will only show you extreme cases of bubble-like batteries, which I would only handle with a longest shovel and protective equipment.

Here's a source (Epec, a battery pack manufacturer) with at least some specific data.
Swelling can occur as part of gas generation. Battery manufacturers are at odds why this happens. A 5mm (0.2") battery in a hard shell can grow to 8mm (0.3"), more in a foil package.

To prevent swelling, the manufacturer adds excess film to create a “gas bag” outside the cell. During the first charge, gases escape into the gasbag, which is then cut off and the pack resealed as part of the finishing process. Expect some swelling on subsequent charges; 8 to 10 percent over 500 cycles is normal. Provision must be made in the battery compartment to allow for expansion. It is best not to stack pouch cells but to lay them flat side by side. Prevent sharp edges that could stress the pouch cell as they expand.

Anyways, I'd consider OP's battery unsafe, not least because the protective bag has partly detached from the plastic frame (at the left).

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Fffhahahahahahaha!

The spiciest of pillows. Forbidden fruit. (●´ω`●)

And this is what happens when your safety measures are not adequate:

These aren't batteries with cylindrical cells, they are prismatic/pouch batteries. HP support page says [yes I know what the topic title is, and the answer is no, but still]:

At Dell:

Discharge it: this one is important. Swelling is partly reversible, an empty battery has less gas pressure and apart from that, less energy to burn.

And Lenovo:

The device case must be designed to accomodate for some swelling. One of the Samsung phones or Notes wasn't, which resulted in fires (even more fires than Li batteries would otherwise cause).

Unfortunately it's hard to know how much is too much, and manufacturers aren't really trying to make it clearer for us - you can also see that from the examples I cited. A Google picture search for "swollen lithium battery" will only show you extreme cases of bubble-like batteries, which I would only handle with a longest shovel and protective equipment.

Here's a source (Epec, a battery pack manufacturer) with at least some specific data.
What these companies are saying is not relevant to reality or this situation. I have personally seen several of these types of batteries burst and catch fire in recent years. The safety hazard is real and a battery bulging like this is VERY untrustworthy!

Anyways, I'd consider OP's battery unsafe, not least because the protective bag has partly detached from the plastic frame (at the left).
This.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The above is true, but I would like to temper it by saying that considering how many of these kinds of batteries are out there the risk of your home burning down is really low.

(for a fun excercise in how dangerous it is, puncture a small battery pack in the winter, outdoors, hold it until it gets how and then throw it in the snow and see how long it takes for it to cool down)

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling converted Eisbär 280, two F14 + three F12S intake, two P14S + two P14 + two F14 as exhaust
Memory 16 GB Corsair LPX bdie @3600/16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@HuBoss
as others said, not a good idesa to keep using it, replace with new one, walmart/staples if you are in the US.

make sure to use the battery between 20-80(90)% range, they can handle cycles (charge/discharge), but dont like being completely discharged/charged (below 20/above 90%).

Last edited:
Trust HP. This battery is in a great shape, 100% good, but you should buy several more or maybe a few more HP laptops. Obey whatever they say, buy multiple printer subscriptions, give them all of your data. And don't trust anyone saying there is an armed hitman behind my back.

In short, this battery is potentially dangerous trash. Take it out, recycle, don't look back. I build and used enough RC models to know lithium battery fire is not a battle you want to risk fighting.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Simple fix - just put it on a ripple charger for a week or so.
??? I've only been an electronics technician for 50+ years and clearly, the technologies are constantly moving so obviously, I still have much to learn. But I have never heard of a "ripple" charger. I know of ripple (an unwanted AC component to a DC voltage), and I know of "trickle" chargers (a low current charger for very slow charging, or to maintain a charge over a period of time). But not a ripple charger.

@Wirko - I'm not understanding your point of citing Dell or Lenovo to support your initial claim that swelling is "normal". It is not "normal" - even if a "common" problem. And neither Dell nor Lenovo are saying it is normal.

I do understand what you are saying about pouch cell batteries and you are correct about their function. But the pouch should not look like an inflated balloon.

[yes I know what the topic title is, and the answer is no, but still]:
"But still"??? Ummm, no.

Look at that Dell link (my bold underline added),

A swollen battery does not present a safety issue.

Discontinue using a swollen battery

To prevent possible further damage

After you notice that your notebook has a swollen battery, immediately discontinue use of the notebook to protect your hardware.
If a swollen battery does not present a safety issue, why instruct users to "immediately" discontinue use? Does "safety issue" ONLY imply risk to life or limb of the user? Or risk of explosions?

And if no safety issue, why the need to "protect" the hardware and to "prevent further damage"?

Also see this Dell KBDoc, Swollen Battery Information and Guidance which talks specifically about Li-Ion Polymer "pouch" batteries and note the following:
Battery swelling is a failure mode

Wouldn't you agree a failure mode is not "normal"?

Now look at the Lenovo link (again, my bold underline added),

Swelling which leads to noticeable bulging of the battery pack or your system is abnormal.

excessive swelling may lead to hazardous conditions.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
??? I've only been an electronics technician for 50+ years and clearly, the technologies are constantly moving so obviously, I still have much to learn. But I have never heard of a "ripple" charger. I know of ripple (an unwanted AC component to a DC voltage), and I know of "trickle" chargers (a low current charger for very slow charging, or to maintain a charge over a period of time). But not a ripple charger.

And may ripples of easy laughter never penetrate that stalwart gaze into the horizon.

System Name C₂H₅OH
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Alphacool Core 1 Black
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E GENE
Cooling Custom loop - MO-RA3 420 & 360 Pro - Heatkiller 200 & 150 D5 pump/res combo
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB F5-8000J4048F24GX2 8GHz 36-44-44
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X Alphacool block
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB - Intel 660 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM 240Hz OLED
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Audio Device(s) Topping DX7Pro - Topping A90 - Hifiman Ananda - Focal Elear - Focal Radiance - Adam A5X & Adam Sub 7
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2 SF White MX Speed Silver / Logitech MX Mechanical
Software Windows 11 Pro

@Wirko - I'm not understanding your point of citing Dell or Lenovo to support your initial claim that swelling is "normal". It is not "normal" - even if a "common" problem. And neither Dell nor Lenovo are saying it is normal.

I do understand what you are saying about pouch cell batteries and you are correct about their function. But the pouch should not look like an inflated balloon.

"But still"??? Ummm, no.

Look at that Dell link (my bold underline added),

If a swollen battery does not present a safety issue, why instruct users to "immediately" discontinue use? Does "safety issue" ONLY imply risk to life or limb of the user? Or risk of explosions?

And if no safety issue, why the need to "protect" the hardware and to "prevent further damage"?

Also see this Dell KBDoc, Swollen Battery Information and Guidance which talks specifically about Li-Ion Polymer "pouch" batteries and note the following:

Wouldn't you agree a failure mode is not "normal"?

Now look at the Lenovo link (again, my bold underline added),
Thanks for saying what I wanted to say as well Bill, great job :D And OP if you don't get it after this you're either trolling or not willing to listen. Whatever choice you make, you've been warned. Don't fuck around with lithium batteries. The sack is a failure mode and it takes a tiiiny pice of plastic to pierce it ;)

GLHF, I'm out of this thread.

@HuBoss
as others said, not a good idesa to keep using it, replace with new one, wlamart/staples if you are in the US.

make sure to use the battery between 20-80(90)% range, they can handle cycles (charge/discharge), but dont like being completely discharged/charged below 20/above 90%.
Best advice on the topic: Having your laptop always plugged in keeps the battery at 100% charge, which places it in the stress zone and accelerates degradation. While using between 20-90% increase battery life by 200%.

And... No, don't trust HP! It's at the top of my blacklist, even surpassing Asucks.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling converted Eisbär 280, two F14 + three F12S intake, two P14S + two P14 + two F14 as exhaust
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@Denver
yeah, one reason i like the fact that sony started implementing a "fully charged"/green lit led for charge status on laptops/mobile devices once they reached 90%,
and most allowing to customize the number (either when to show "full", or even to stop charging), making it less likely for folks to have to replace batteries within 5y.

@Denver
yeah, one reason i like the fact that sony started implementing a "fully charged"/green lit led for charge status on laptops/mobile devices once they reached 90%,
and most allowing to customize the number (either when to show "full", or even to stop charging), making it less likely for folks to have to replace batteries within 5y.
I recall hearing that Samsung implemented something similar in its laptops. I believe all brands should adopt this feature; it's straightforward and beneficial for both users and manufacturers.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
YOU need to stop giving bad and dangerous advice!
I agree with Lex. You trying to be funny on a tech support site isn't funny at all. In fact, it is pretty childish.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
@Denver
IIRC, my older Dell Latitude 5411 also has this feature.

I agree with Lex. You trying to be funny on a tech support site isn't funny at all. In fact, it is pretty childish.
Being funny and a smart-a$$ has it's time and place. A thread about a bulging Lithium-Ion battery that could burst and catch fire isn't one of them. We are in harmony here! :toast:

That battery is about to give birth
Ok, let's face it, that was funny!

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Hi.i want to ask you guys if my battery has a problem or no. HP Support assistant app says my battery is normal
but my laptop battery looks like this.
View attachment 352743
and also i got a warning from my bios that my battery is very weak (2 days ago)
that's a spicy pillow and I wouldn't trust them to run a bath at this point. serious hazard there. I'd remove it and get a new battery asap!

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@Bill_Bright/lexluthermiester
would have been fine, if "sarcasm mode: OFF had been included..

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Think moderators should close this thread, the summary is to disconnect the battery and carry on using the laptop with power supply/brick.
Order a replacement battery.

The end

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
he meant it's normal for a battery after years
you should ask for a new battery not asking about your current battery is normal or not

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
for a fun excercise in how dangerous it is, puncture a small battery pack in the winter, outdoors, hold it until it gets how and then throw it in the snow and see how long it takes for it to cool down
Please never do this.

You read what I wrote before replying... right?
You mean the edit after we replied? If you're gonna be funny in a serious thread, make it stand out so people don't think you're being malicious. Remember this is a TEXT based discussion platform and none of us are mind readers.

Please never do this.
I already have, just for giggles. Of course, I'm not a fool and know how to be safe about it. Quite the light show!

Think moderators should close this thread, the summary is to disconnect the battery and carry on using the laptop with power supply/brick.
Order a replacement battery.

The end
We should let the OP login and have a chance to ask questions before taking that action.