• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

never ending issues with w10 install-recovery needs repair

made a post that I have issues with nvme drive. and doing RMA. so wanted to install w10 on sata ssd. and send nvme back. get files off I need off it and on sata ssd. so connected that ssd in. so basically there is an nvme drive connected and an empty sata ssd. windows 10 os is on a 120gb ssd used with usb connector. I used to install with rufus. so in bios changed boot to goto the usb sata ssd with w10. selected the internal connected sata ssd I wanted to install to. alls fine. I chose boot to be the new installed sata ssd. says recovery needs repair.

Error code 0xc000000e Your PC needs to be repaired. I have that exact code.

I tried to take out my sata ssd then boot from nvme. no go. same issue. tried f1 repair. no go. I tried to boot from usb/ssd with win10 to do a repair. no go. no option at the bottom left. only can do a new install. anyways, does this guide seem legit to deal with my issue?

I learned my lesson now and everytime Ill install win10 on another drive, ill take out any drive that has w10 on it. it does some weird things that has nipped me a few times.

any help appreciated

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw wireless
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
In my experience, those 'Windows needs to be repaired' messages never end in anything good are usually a dead end.
When confronted with a similar situation and usually when I'm installing W10/11 on a system with multiple drives, I always disconnect the others until Windows is safely installed on the target drive.
Also, if there's nothing to save on the drive in question, ignore that video and just start from scratch.

I have pictures there. I have a backup but on an HDD which will take ages to move over. were talking about 350gb

my intuition is right about the LEXAR nvme being defective. but I still want to try and want to know if what the guide says to type in cmd is correct and the right path?

I had this bs with installing w10 on a 2nd drive and it creating issues. I should have learned that you cant have 2 win10 installs together. I hate microsoft. never had issues with w7 ever. only issues with windows 10.

what about pulling the nvme out and putting it into a usb case and pulling files I need that way?

take nvme, install sata ssd. install w10 and drivers. connected nvme with usb case and pull files?

Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Keyboard Logitech G213
I have pictures there. I have a backup but on an HDD which will take ages to move over. were talking about 350gb

my intuition is right about the LEXAR nvme being defective. but I still want to try and want to know if what the guide says to type in cmd is correct and the right path?

I had this bs with installing w10 on a 2nd drive and it creating issues. I should have learned that you cant have 2 win10 installs together. I hate microsoft. never had issues with w7 ever. only issues with windows 10.

what about pulling the nvme out and putting it into a usb case and pulling files I need that way?

take nvme, install sata ssd. install w10 and drivers. connected nvme with usb case and pull files?
If you really need those files and the NVMe isn't bust, try the USB case. I would.

thanks SP. put it in the case and it seems I have access to files. will finish installing w10 on the sata ssd and transfer files over.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3800
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
You're operating from a bad stack.
1. Going into a recovery/migration situation completely unprepared
2. Trying to adapt a troubled system disk over USB adapter on the system that already has boot issues and
3. That disk is somewhere along the read/copy data migration chain.
Just...What? :wtf:

Grab WinPE (WAIK/Win10)
Configure it to be useful on your system/network (add drivers, Explorer, WinNTSetup3, your own backup tools)
Burn WinPE to a throwaway 1GB USB stick using Rufus
Create an answer file and add it to the disk.
Boot WinPE on target system
Rearrange the desired data on your disks/network
Profit

No physical removal or shuffling of disks involved.
No reliance on the nvme's boot partition.
No rewiring of network kit involved.
No issues converting between BIOS/EFI or moving the computer here and there.
Just get it done and move on. Easy.

In situations where I need to setup Windows I often rely on something called WinNTSetup3. It looks like this:
1720331691413.png

On open, it auto-letters any boot volumes present, shows partition boot status and offers tools with BootICE.
It can be used to prepare drives and image the target partition with drivers and an answer file.
This cuts out ALL the drama, custom image build time and time wasted chasing this and that, as long as you provide a valid answer file.
Something tells me you're the type to see this situation a lot even if it's not your own computer.
Maybe position yourself with this kind of advantage for the future before you encounter it again?
I make a new WinPE like every 5-6 years and I'm real lazy about it compared to the XP era. I'm sure you can deal better than I do.
There are security reasons involved for doing all this work and it makes the entire recovery/install job that much more effective.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
have you try minimal setup, disconnecting anything that you don't need
resetting bios
you may face bad drive, bad installed OS, bad connector or just something refuse mix and match
edit: have you try different version of windows, just to check

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
1) Don't mix NVMe and SATA boot.
For Windows, NVMe needs GPT partition style with EFI boot selected to be valid boot option by default, while SATA drives can boot with either GPT/EFI and MBR/CSM options. Booting MBR with disabled CSM mode will not work. Booting NVMe in CSM might work if EFI booting is selected for storage devices.
2) In case of CSM disabled situation, make sure you are booting from Windows Boot Manager (in BIOS/UEFI).
Selecting actual drive in boot section will only work with CSM legacy/MBR drive.
3) Disable SATA devices when installing new Windows on NVMe, and switch off (if you can) M.2 ports when you want to install Windows on SATA SSD. It will prevent Windows installer from using wrong drive as boot sector holding one (Windows installer is dumb AF and can put boot files on detected SATA HDDs, even when actual OS is installed on NVMe - disconnecting SATA drive = no more NVMe OS boot).

Last edited:
Keyboard Logitech G213
You're operating from a bad stack.
1. Going into a recovery/migration situation completely unprepared
2. Trying to adapt a troubled system disk over USB adapter on the system that already has boot issues and
3. That disk is somewhere along the read/copy data migration chain.
Just...What? :wtf:

Grab WinPE (WAIK/Win10)
Configure it to be useful on your system/network (add drivers, Explorer, WinNTSetup3, your own backup tools)
Burn WinPE to a throwaway 1GB USB stick using Rufus
Create an answer file and add it to the disk.
Boot WinPE on target system
Rearrange the desired data on your disks/network
Profit

No physical removal or shuffling of disks involved.
No reliance on the nvme's boot partition.
No rewiring of network kit involved.
No issues converting between BIOS/EFI or moving the computer here and there.
Just get it done and move on. Easy.

In situations where I need to setup Windows I often rely on something called WinNTSetup3. It looks like this:
View attachment 354311
On open, it auto-letters any boot volumes present, shows partition boot status and offers tools with BootICE.
It can be used to prepare drives and image the target partition with drivers and an answer file.
This cuts out ALL the drama, custom image build time and time wasted chasing this and that, as long as you provide a valid answer file.
Something tells me you're the type to see this situation a lot even if it's not your own computer.
Maybe position yourself with this kind of advantage for the future before you encounter it again?
I make a new WinPE like every 5-6 years and I'm real lazy about it compared to the XP era. I'm sure you can deal better than I do.
There are security reasons involved for doing all this work and it makes the entire recovery/install job that much more effective.
I forgot about WinPe which I use all the time for rescues. Thanks for reminding us.

I keep old SATA SSD in USB-C boxes and more recently I now have old M.2 2280 SSD in USB-C boxes. So when it's time to reinstall Windows....

Use Windows 11, 10 is past its best before date. Rufus can get around CPU/TPU problems.