• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Arc Xe2 "Battlemage" Discrete GPUs Made on TSMC 4 nm Process

System Name Game Rig 1
Processor i7 3770
Motherboard Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Cooling Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Memory Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Video Card(s) 1st GTX660 2N 1050TI Now 1660 Zotac
Storage 1 TB Samsung SSD Sata 1 TB Alienware stock non SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q
Case Alienware X51 Stock 2012 R1
Power Supply Alienware X51 Stock external psu
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard Cherry KC 6000 Slim
Software Micro 11 Home
There are a lot of gaps (weaknesses) provided by AMD and NVIDIA they can easily rack some points with such as not being too stingy with VRAM,
have good stability and low idle and low power usage when watching video, power for games can be ok.
As such i would consider such a gpu especially as there are synergies with the upcoming intel cpu line

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Intel has always had CPUs and needs GPUs for data center not consoles. Microsoft is in bed with Qualcomm. No one wants Intel.
Intel restarted the whole discrete GPU development because of servers indeed. This is also an argument I am using the past 1+ years that others say that Intel will abandon GPUs because of ARC's failure. Intel needs GPUs. For both servers and the consumer market. An Intel without GPUs is vulnerable ALSO in the consumer market.
That being said consoles is an important market not just for income, but also for promoting techs. Games developed on consoles will support the hardware of those consoles and considering the modern consoles are PCs, that means that PC ports will be coming with all Intel techs integrated from day 1, if those consoles are running Intel hardware.
Microsoft is with Qualcomm now because it wants to secure that IF ARM prevails Windows will remain the OS of choice. But it is with Intel for over 25 years. The Surface line using Intel chips and not AMD is a proof of that. MS waiting for Intel Lunar Lake to come out before offering AI features to x86 CPUs is also one more. Don't think that MS is delaying AI features on AMD's new CPUs just for Qualcomm's sake. In the x86 market MS was always supporting Intel first, AMD (much) later. And IF ARM doesn't prevail, MS will remain in bed with Intel. IF ARM grabs enough market share but x86 remains a 50%+ option, MS will have a trio with Qualcomm and Intel in bed. No one writes off Intel.

I'd still like to see 32GB VRAM version off Battlemage GPU offered, but it seems unlikely. It would be great for higher resolutions and like 3D modelings and/or high resolution video editing. Probably good for some AI training stuff too. It seems plausible too that they could seeing as a Maxwell based Tesla M40 as well as Pascal P40 had 24GB of VRAM and those had less bandwidth and obviously perform slower. Like they absolutely could consider it and pretty much subsidize the cost of the additional VRAM tacked on just to sell more chips and gain more market share which is probably also better for driver support and future development of it's follow up architectures. I'm not holding my breath though I'd like to see it.

System Name Game Rig 1
Processor i7 3770
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Micro 11 Home
Hypothetically the current market wants a strong midfield contender which not necessarily motivates to buy a higher end gpu.
As such mas sales drive down costs and can warrant agressive pricing as i just picked up amd plans to do with its midrange cpu,
if this becomes true we look at midrange cards that finally will hold some value over time as such its graphical performance must hover around 4080
with the tdp of a 4060ti at worst.

Price willing to pay 479 Euros or 500 with game bundles, better steam account balance

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
So Intel is able to deliver 5 nodes in four years... but all these nodes are useless.
No, but you need to understand their creative use of "deliver". It's Intel 7, Intel 4, TSMC N6, N4, and N3. Maybe Intel 3 too.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Just bought a bunch of a380s to put 4K multi monitor support in a bunch of office rigs - great cards - I have hope these can be good

System Name Game Rig 1
Processor i7 3770
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Micro 11 Home
Not all handouts. Also the FABS they are building in the US will also benefit the US economy. There some US companies that will use their FABS instead of using china etc. Or would you rather Intel takes money from the US gov and gives nothing back? What does AMD give back? do they have FABS for US companies to make use of? Intels FABS might not be running perfectly now, but it won't always be that way, and like I have said before, at least they are not totally FABless like AMD are, which could bite them on the bum at some point.

If you think it works this way, start producing your meat instead of buying one. It will cost you almost nothing, but an extreme amount of resources and time, 1 year of life till the first output and it will also be way more expensive in the end, not to mention, that livestock farming will most likely prevent you from keeping your current job.

And that's how protectionism works in the long term, no economy benefits from it, it might create or keep 1000 jobs but loses 100 000 ones in the long term.

AMD and ARM from TSMC gives you back and extremely cheap and fast CPUs, immediate cost cutting, enabling the economy's informatisation and higher productivity. If the economy grows 3% instead of 2% thanks to those cpus, it doubles in 24 years instead of 35 years and 3% growth for 35 years will mean the economy is now at 281% of its original size instead of 200%.

That's the effect of competition and trade. If you choose to support Intel and moving fabs to the US, you might create 50k job in the long term, which means literally nothing compared to the size of the US economy, it will cost you years to build them, billions to fund them but in the longterm, but it doesn't change the fact that the cost of producing in the US will be higher, it will be small potion of global market and those resources were wasted and now, you are obliged also to purchase US made products which are more expensive and and in the end, you are left with less money to spend on something else and the US economy is smaller as a whole and a million of jobs are missing due to a simple decision made 20 years ago.

Intel - you would still have had 4 cores
AMD - now you can afford 12 for the same price and they are also significantly faster.

That's competition and free trade for you.

ARF

AMD - now you can afford 12 for the same price and they are also significantly faster.

Remember that intel got other CPUs, too? Core i7-6800K has 6-core / 12-thread config, for 434$ in 2016.

As for the 4nm GPUs - too little, too late, and probably will not be really competitive.
TSMC has already got 3nm production up and running for years, and they are now in the process to move everything to 2nm.
So, where exactly does that old 4nm process fall?

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
If you think it works this way, start producing your meat instead of buying one. It will cost you almost nothing, but an extreme amount of resources and time, 1 year of life till the first output and it will also be way more expensive in the end, not to mention, that livestock farming will most likely prevent you from keeping your current job.

And that's how protectionism works in the long term, no economy benefits from it, it might create or keep 1000 jobs but loses 100 000 ones in the long term.

AMD and ARM from TSMC gives you back and extremely cheap and fast CPUs, immediate cost cutting, enabling the economy's informatisation and higher productivity. If the economy grows 3% instead of 2% thanks to those cpus, it doubles in 24 years instead of 35 years and 3% growth for 35 years will mean the economy is now at 281% of its original size instead of 200%.

That's the effect of competition and trade. If you choose to support Intel and moving fabs to the US, you might create 50k job in the long term, which means literally nothing compared to the size of the US economy, it will cost you years to build them, billions to fund them but in the longterm, but it doesn't change the fact that the cost of producing in the US will be higher, it will be small potion of global market and those resources were wasted and now, you are obliged also to purchase US made products which are more expensive and and in the end, you are left with less money to spend on something else and the US economy is smaller as a whole and a million of jobs are missing due to a simple decision made 20 years ago.

Slow clap

ARF

offtopic:/ At least, you will eat clean meat, not the one with injected water and all other pollutants that is being sold in the shops.
You can also work home office, and still have very decent amounts of incomes. /endofofftopic

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
So all Intel’s next gen consumer CPUs and GPUs are made at TSMC? I guess that’s one way to fight the competition: take away fab capacity.

I guess that forces other companies to consider IFS’s inferior nodes. Intel gets to control third party production and limit their performance. And make money off the whole deal as well.

Intel is on fire right now with these strategies.
You mean that Intel is succeeding on everything EXCEPT innovation and making the better product? Isn't that the exact opposite of how a company should succeeding in a "free market"?

It seems that at Intel they are really angry that people consider them incompetent the last few years, so they are jumping at the best TSMC nodes to prove that they are still building superior designs than the competition (AMD, ARM).
AMD should be careful to not end up third even before Intel starts fixing it's manufacturing problems. Lunar Lake, Battlemage, AMD could be in trouble in a year from now in laptops and GPUs.
And considering that mobile CPUs and GPUs are the ingredients for a console APU, I wonder if Intel is trying to build the hardware foundations here to go after SONY's and MS's next consoles. And while SONY might be a difficult target, MS is in bed with Intel for decades and it needs to differentiate itself from SONY to even have a chance with it's next console. When hardware is similar, like both using AMD's APUs, SONY wins easily.
Everything you just described sounds like it would be a catastrophe for consumers and competitiveness.....so my question is this: why does anybody root for Intel when any increase in their marketshare in x86 is objectively bad for consumers and compeititon as a whole?

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
I think it is a bold move from Intel here. Mature process, less expenses as all tools are same as it is N5 derivative.

Not sure why is even N3 is mentioned... you had to have everything made from scratch again to port it to it to that process. Intel is not a home tenant at TSMC and will not have access to all software and design help as Apple does or nvidia, as they have their own tailored tech-nodes named after them.

Get real people, stop bitching about useless crap but look at the technological bits there.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Not all handouts. Also the FABS they are building in the US will also benefit the US economy. There some US companies that will use their FABS instead of using china etc. Or would you rather Intel takes money from the US gov and gives nothing back? What does AMD give back? do they have FABS for US companies to make use of? Intels FABS might not be running perfectly now, but it won't always be that way, and like I have said before, at least they are not totally FABless like AMD are, which could bite them on the bum at some point.
Why is it not possible to critique Intel without someone pulling a whataboutism concerning AMD? Secondly, what is Intel "giving back" to this country? Because it seems to me that intel is a NET negative for consumers and the x86 industry as a whole. They constantly try to engage in monopolistic and anti competitive tactics...for example, who knows where the x86 industry would be or AMD's partnership with Global Foundries had Intel not engaged in an ILLEGAL campaign of bribing OEMs in the 2000s like Dell to NOT carry AMD products (this has been proven in court in several jurisdictionsand is an undeniable fact)?

Intel is still doing it to this day, they bribe OEMs....sorry, not bribery, but or "joint development funds" (although I dont know how it isnt bribery when youre basically paying a company to NOT use your competitor)to keep AMD chips out of the majority of laptop models....that's not competition or innovation, that's cartelism and monopoly and it comes at the consumers expense. For the past several years AMD has had superior products, but Intel has been able to stave that off through basically bribery and selling chips at cost which creates a situation where the superior product DOESNT succeed. How can anybody cheer for that or that behavior?

The bottom line is this: in a defacto duopoly, the best situation for consumers is a 50%/50% split in marketshare to promote thr most competition and the lowest prices..that is OBJECTIVELY true. Therefore, since Intel has the majority of marketshare in all segments of x86, it is also OBJECTIVELY true that any increase in that marketshare is BAD for consumers....so I ask again, why cheer for Intel? All these reasons are exactly why I do not understand why people are excited for Intel to make dGPUs...all Intel will do is take marketshare from AMD because it's been proven that Nvidia fans will never buy anything other than Nvidia, and we'll be in the exact same spot we were in befofe....only this time, Intel can use their dGPUs to turn the screws on OEMs even more: "Bundle your prebuilts with our CPU and dGPU and we'll give the dGPU at cost....just as long as you ensure that AMD CPUs are only used in a single, budget model with the lowest sales figures". Yes, Intel will use any success in dGPU to put even more pressure on AMD in x86....not with innovation or along the superior product, but through corporation and cartelism.

P.S. The fact that x86 is a duopoly and the American government gave billions to only one side of that duopoly is crazy, it destroys any sense of a free and fair market, and no, I'm not saying they should have given money to AMD too, no corporation with billions of dollars should get taxpayer money. What tje government should have done is say to Intel: "If you don't build some fabs here, we're going to start a monopoly investigation against you...."

P.S.S. I'm not an "AMD fan", I'm a fan of what is objectively best for me, the consumer, and it is NEVER in the consumer's interest for a monopolistic company to extend that monopoly. If the day ever came where AMD captured 51% of the market, I'd be cheering for Intel to take that 1% back.

Last edited:
TSMC has already got 3nm production up and running for years, and they are now in the process to move everything to 2nm.
So, where exactly does that old 4nm process fall?
Yes, but AMD isn't going to be releasing 3nm consumer grade gpu's anytime soon
I also doubt nvidia will do more than a mostly paper launch of a 5090 if that is going to be on n3?

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Everything you just described sounds like it would be a catastrophe for consumers and competitiveness.....so my question is this: why does anybody root for Intel when any increase in their marketshare in x86 is objectively bad for consumers and compeititon as a whole?
Who is routing for Intel?

I think Intel only has EUV running in the D1X fabs in Oregon and a single fab in Ireland.

The one in Ireland is only building Intel-4 and Intel 3. Everything else (EUV) is coming out of D1X.

Intel says mfg plans/allocations are made early in the product cycle, so I'm guessing the decision to use Intel-3 for Sierra Forest and TSM-N3 for Lunar Lake was made a few years back, and had more to do with the limited capacity in D1X than any other reason.

Last edited:

jaresk

Capacity at TSMC was booked by intel's previous ceo, back when they were still struggling with 10nm. They pre-paid like everyone does and now they are using it.

If you can´t FAB it, buy it from elsewhere: INTel
You're missing something. It's not that Intel can't fab these chips, it that they are running all of their fabs at capacity. They need to contract the chips out to make the deadlines for release.

Capacity at TSMC was booked by intel's previous ceo, back when they were still struggling with 10nm. They pre-paid like everyone does and now they are using it.
There's some of this too.

You're missing something. It's not that Intel can't fab these chips, it that they are running all of their fabs at capacity. They need to contract the chips out to make the deadlines for release.
Intel’s fabs are not at capacity. Not even close unless you have proof otherwise.

IFS has been hemorrhaging money. All is not well in the house of Intel.

So all Intel’s next gen consumer CPUs and GPUs are made at TSMC? I guess that’s one way to fight the competition: take away fab capacity.

I guess that forces other companies to consider IFS’s inferior nodes. Intel gets to control third party production and limit their performance. And make money off the whole deal as well.

Intel is on fire right now with these strategies.
This can only be a short term solution because by using TSMC, (1) they likely pay a significant premium to get access to cutting edge node, and, (2) it is not good advertising for their own fab business. I think it will become an increasingly difficult uphill challenge for Intel because they are bleeding cash while engaging in a 3 way product fight, (a) CPU, (b) GPU, and, (c) fab business. And ARM have joined the fight to the dismay of Intel.

Intel’s fabs are not at capacity. Not even close unless you have proof otherwise.
How about YOU prove they're not? I'm offering a plausible reason based market data you can go look up yourself. I'm not your lackey.
All is not well in the house of Intel.
Moose muffins. Intel CPU's are still the best performers overall and they're selling very well. So there's that.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Archlinux, Manjaro, Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Who cares where they fab it. Nvidia and Amd need competition really bad. We need to pay less for video cards.