• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial AMD is Becoming a Software Company. Here's the Plan

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Can people please stick to the topic which is AMD's move to becoming a software orientated outfit. If you feel the need to talk about Nvidia (already being a software focused company), do it in a constructive way that doesn't require sticking pointless hostility (and epeen) into the thread.

If you can't make a post without attacking someone else, you should walk away from the thread before you get an enforced holiday. I can't speak for the other mods, but I am sick and tired of the needless antagonism that AMD/NV threads provoke. Debate and critique, by all means, but do it without being an arse to your fellow TPU'ers.

Thanks.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Don't they just! Plenty of other examples don't get called out however, some in this very thread, so it seems like personal bias (form absolutely everyone) about the facts and opinions seems to override the compulsion to take exception to every time they're worded incorrectly.
I'm on my phone on a holiday - I can't call out every single person who words their personal opinion as fact. I agree with the notion, though, regardless of which company you're talking about. A staff member should be extra diligent in wording, though, as their posts tend to bear a bit more weight than the rest of ours.

"Ecosystem" is just a marketing buzzword. AMD GPUs have the exact same feature set for gaming except for DLSS, which isn't necessary when you have FSR. Day-one drivers aren't necessary to run your games, either. AMD drivers work just as well as Nvidia. I know because I own several GPUs from both manufacturers.
Ecosystem is not a buzzword if you know why some people prefer to use CUDA instead of ROCm, and why productivity suites use NVIDIA preferably... because they work has intented without problems.
AMD should make the "software divison" sooner, because Nvidia provided a better support to Game Studios and Developers for years. Something that AMD lacked... they started to ramp up support when Intel entered in the gpu business.
in case you wondering... Support to Developers(either gaming or scientific) is included on the "EcoSystem".
That ecosystem is also one big relief on bugfixing/optimization tools for Developers... it makes their life easear, Nvidia puts that in their pricetag.
Sony/Playstation is the best ally to AMD for the GPU ecosystem ...

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ecosystem is not a buzzword if you know why some people prefer to use CUDA instead of ROCm, and why productivity suites use NVIDIA preferably... because they work has intented without problems.
AMD should make the "software divison" sooner, because Nvidia provided a better support to Game Studios and Developers for years. Something that AMD lacked... they started to ramp up support when Intel entered in the gpu business.
in case you wondering... Support to Developers(either gaming or scientific) is included on the "EcoSystem".
That ecosystem is also one big relief on bugfixing/optimization tools for Developers... it makes their life easear, Nvidia puts that in their pricetag.
Sony/Playstation is the best ally to AMD for the GPU ecosystem ...
CUDA is still just a single feature used by various software. Working together with developers to make sure everything functions as intended... Okay, I'll give you that. But buying an Nvidia or AMD GPU purely for gaming because of "the ecosystem" is bullshit. There is no ecosystem for PC gaming.

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
CUDA is still just a single feature used by various software. Working together with developers to make sure everything functions as intended... Okay, I'll give you that. But buying an Nvidia or AMD GPU purely for gaming because of "the ecosystem" is bullshit. There is no ecosystem for PC gaming.
DirectX ... DirectX enabled/optimized cards ... various upscaling enablement DLSS/FSR & RT added to games etc... is that not reflective of a hardware/software gaming ecosystem? Maybe I missed the point.

Last edited:
But buying an Nvidia or AMD GPU purely for gaming because of "the ecosystem" is bullshit. There is no ecosystem for PC gaming.
Your seeing at a consumer level... the "ecosystem" is in the simple fact that you run a game and it works... the gaming ecosystem is there, and mainly Drivers and Drivers Optmizations... even Vulkan/DirectX.
Working with Developers to provide Drivers optimizations is Nvidia's playfield...
So... yeah ... there is a lot ecosystem in gaming.
Why AMD doesn have better features ? because like the article said .."AMD is a hardware company" they release features on "opensource" because they dont have a dedicated division to enchance those features at Nvidia's level, and to support developers.

Nvidia provides tools to their hardware, AMD doesn't ( or mimimal toolset for it) ... and those tools are the main reason of why Nvidia works best.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Working together with developers to make sure everything functions as intended... Okay, I'll give you that.
Games and drivers are the ecosystem in consumer space. And NVIDIA consistently works with game developers to make sure their games work well with NVIDIA hardware, or have NVIDIA-specific feature like DLSS. Not to mention GeForce Experience and GeForce NOW.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
But buying an Nvidia or AMD GPU purely for gaming because of "the ecosystem" is bullshit. There is no ecosystem for PC gaming.
Wrong. Knowing day 1 drivers are there before AAA releases, knowing they will not only work well but support features I want, knowing there is a large community behind it, to report and remedy any issues, choose your word of choice but it's an ecosystem and it's valuable. AMD are pretty decent at this but the software ecosystem evidently needs work to be considered top dog, even they want that, evidently, from their own words in this editorial.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
DirectX ... DirectX enabled/optimized cards ... various upscaling enablement DLSS/FSR & RT added to games etc... is that not reflective of a hardware/software gaming ecosystem? Maybe I missed the point.
DirectX is an ecosystem, as it encompasses various technologies under a common brand, but it's supported by every GPU. DLSS/FSR are single features, not a collection of different things, so they're not ecosystems.

Your seeing at a consumer level... the "ecosystem" is in the simple fact that you run a game and it works... the gaming ecosystem is there, and mainly Drivers and Drivers Optmizations... even Vulkan/DirectX.
Working with Developers to provide Drivers optimizations is Nvidia's playfield...
So... yeah ... there is a lot ecosystem in gaming.
Why AMD doesn have better features ? because like the article said .."AMD is a hardware company" they release features on "opensource" because they dont have a dedicated division to enchance those features at Nvidia's level, and to support developers.

Nvidia provides tools to their hardware, AMD doesn't ( or mimimal toolset for it) ... and those tools are the main reason of why Nvidia works best.
Yes, I'm looking at a consumer level because I am one. What's wrong with that?

Wrong. Knowing day 1 drivers are there before AAA releases, knowing they will not only work well but support features I want, knowing there is a large community behind it, to report and remedy any issues, choose your word of choice but it's an ecosystem and it's valuable. AMD are pretty decent at this but the software ecosystem evidently needs work to be considered top dog, even they want that, evidently, from their own words in this editorial.
I don't need day-1 drivers to run games, but each to their own, I guess.

System Name Still not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x, Thermal Grizzly AM5 Offset Mounting Kit, Thermal Grizzly Extreme Paste
Motherboard ASRock B650 LiveMixer (BIOS/UEFI version P3.08, AGESA 1.2.0.2)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-5600 ECC Unbuffered Memory (2 sticks, 64GB, MTC20C2085S1EC56BD1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 4TB 980 PRO, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Commander Pro for Fans, RGB, & Temp Sensors (x4)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores RIP Ryzen 9 5950x, ASRock X570 Taichi (v1.06), 128GB Micron DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
I don't need day-1 drivers to run games, but each to their own, I guess.
It seems these days you get major defects or just broken games without day-1 drivers. A healthy ecosystem of collaboration is required to get day-1 drivers otherwise we might as well just go back to playing retro consoles. If AMD's software effort includes ensuring working with game devs and providing stable drivers than good although it seems all this software talk is geared toward AI were all the money seems to be going at the moment.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
It seems these days you get major defects or just broken games without day-1 drivers. A healthy ecosystem of collaboration is required to get day-1 drivers otherwise we might as well just go back to playing retro consoles.
I've never had any issue due to not using a game-ready driver. Although I admit, I rarely ever buy games on day one.

If AMD's software effort includes ensuring working with game devs and providing stable drivers than good although it seems all this software talk is geared toward AI were all the money seems to be going at the moment.
I'm getting the same vibes, unfortunately.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
It seems these days you get major defects or just broken games without day-1 drivers. A healthy ecosystem of collaboration is required to get day-1 drivers otherwise we might as well just go back to playing retro consoles. If AMD's software effort includes ensuring working with game devs and providing stable drivers than good although it seems all this software talk is geared toward AI were all the money seems to be going at the moment.

Nope. You get games with major problems and sometimes completely broken because Publishers rush the games to market before they are finished properly. It usually takes several patches from the Developer to patch and polish a game to a point where it's fit to play well.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
AMD clearly has something Nvidia lacks and has wanted dearly for many years. Their own series of top tier CPUs in both the consumer and business worlds. Let us not forget the infallible Nvidia with their very expensive wiff in the failed acquisition of ARM (oh my did leather jacket boy want that one bad). Thankfully regulators saved us from that catastrophe (over concerns that Nvidia would unfairly use its ownership of Arm's technology to harm competitors, nuh uh, not our savior Nvidia). Just imagine their market position today had they succeeded...nauseating.

AMD will be fiiiine fine. Their position is much stronger than many want to admit. Lisa Su might have a brain cell or two after all, just maybe. Rather than burying AMD before the tale begins. Personally, I look forward to finding out how this story plays out.

System Name SOCIETY
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 64GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090
Storage WD SN850X 4TB, Micron 1100 2TB, ZFS NAS over 10gbe network
Display(s) 27" Dell S2721DGF, 24" ASUS IPS, 24" Dell IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Cooler Master 1200W Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard ROG Falchion
VR HMD Pimax 8KX
Software Windows 10 with Debian VM
AMD Whos software is worst in class is becoming a Software company... but they have _ALWAYS_ Been a software company
It's like a pizza shop who offers a steak dinner
Yeah, they make steak, but they aren't a steakhouse.
And that summarizes AMD's software for me. Not something they worked their hardest on, or are proud of.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Razer Pro Type Ultra
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
AMD clearly has something Nvidia lacks and has wanted dearly for many years.
A finger in both CPU and GPU pies? Except that AMD has spectacularly and consistently failed to purvey that diversity into profits anywhere close to the levels of its competitors.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
A finger in both CPU and GPU pies? Except that AMD has spectacularly and consistently failed to purvey that diversity into profits anywhere close to the levels of its competitors.
And yet, they've managed to somehow survive and even thrive in arguably the two most hostile tech environs out there. Despite the best efforts of both their mighty foes attempts to bury them over the years they continue to creep right along. Somehow beating the odds year after year after year.

Having the wherewithall and courage to make such a drastic pivot (as some here have alluded to)may seem like history repeating itself to some. Or is it simply a smart business move to gain a larger foothold? We shall see. Regardless of what we part time corporate/business professionals may profess. AMD seems to firmly think this is exactly what is required to purvey their diversity into market share and profits.

As I said, I look forward to watching the show. Good, bad or ugly it should be interesting.

System Name SOCIETY
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 64GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090
Storage WD SN850X 4TB, Micron 1100 2TB, ZFS NAS over 10gbe network
Display(s) 27" Dell S2721DGF, 24" ASUS IPS, 24" Dell IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Cooler Master 1200W Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard ROG Falchion
VR HMD Pimax 8KX
Software Windows 10 with Debian VM
Even that isn't true though. Nvidia has ARM CPUs. The Nintendo Switch for example. Tesla cars as another.
But they don't have x86, and either they're unable or unwilling to engage in pushing their CPUs directly into the server business.
It'd be interesting if due to qualcomms ARM laptop efforts if it ever made nvidia enter that segment. But somehow I doubt it. They had ARM in phones, and gave it up. I guess they just didn't find the profit or success in that market to continue it.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
I guess after using just AMD since the 9600XT I could be considered a “fan boy” I’ve been part of the GPU driver Beta Testing since 2018.
BUT as others have mentioned and I hold the same grudge… TIMING! They are always just “too late" I’ll give a simple recent example. Starfield “should” have been theyre big chance to launch FSR3, nope months later, the momentum was already gone.The one I did get right was Lisa playing the “long game” With the CPUs Zen shook up everything finally.
I will currently stay optimistic and hope this is another “long game“ play that will end in significant dividends if they play it right and NOT screw up the timing…

To me, ecosystem means a set of features and/or products that work closely with each other to provide a distinct experience. AMD has nothing of the sort.
Mmmm there’s “kinda” a but in there. Now I’m still on AM4 but Zen4 and RDNA3 when combined offer a ”Smart Technology“ suite. I’ll be totally honest I don’t exactly know the details but regardless it’s definitely an ”ecosystem“ of sorts.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
LOL AMD would rather spent their money on buying other companies than to innovate new products

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If you're laughing at AMD buying other companies instead of innovating, you should check what the other players do:

NV.png

They both buy smaller companies. Often to mop up their IP and use for themselves. All large companies buy smaller ones.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
LOL AMD would rather spent their money on buying other companies than to innovate new products
Or as Intelligent person would come to the conclusion they are broadening their portfolio? Same as aquiring Xlinx ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
If you're laughing at AMD buying other companies instead of innovating, you should check what the other players do:

View attachment 354699
They both buy smaller companies. Often to mop up their IP and use for themselves. All large companies buy smaller ones.

All fun and game until you see that AMD is almost out of free cash flow, meanwhile Nvidia is on a different planet
1.jpg

Or as Intelligent person would come to the conclusion they are broadening their portfolio? Same as aquiring Xlinx ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or AMD could have reserved some money paying their beta testers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Mmmm there’s “kinda” a but in there. Now I’m still on AM4 but Zen4 and RDNA3 when combined offer a ”Smart Technology“ suite. I’ll be totally honest I don’t exactly know the details but regardless it’s definitely an ”ecosystem“ of sorts.
I've recently used Zen 4 with RDNA 2 and 3 GPUs, and didn't notice any difference. The only reason it kind of feels like an ecosystem is that you control both the Zen 4 iGPU and your dGPU from the same software suite, but that's true with any AMD+AMD architecture. You don't need RDNA 3 for that.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
I've recently used Zen 4 with RDNA 2 and 3 GPUs, and didn't notice any difference. The only reason it kind of feels like an ecosystem is that you control both the Zen 4 iGPU and your dGPU from the same software suite, but that's true with any AMD+AMD architecture. You don't need RDNA 3 for that.
Hmmm without installing Public drivers I’m not sure I can show you what I’m talking about. I don’t know if the feature is public facing yet.…
Edit: Not as bells and whistles I thought it was. The "main" paired feature is just speeding up encoding.. Not a feature I'd ever use anyway
sxmar.jpg

All fun and game until you see that AMD is almost out of free cash flow

Do you seriously think that AMD, a smaller company with fewer resources, should be hoarding cash?

NVidia or Apple, who sit at the top of the market and have no idea what to spend money on anymore. Their cash flow and cash pile is higher and higher, and that's fine for the stage at which they're at. Saving up cash for when your competition catches up and figuring out what to do later is fine and expected as a strategy.

But any smaller company needs to be burning cash to try to catch up. As long as its not losing profits / net-income, that's fine. Buying up a small (but profitable) company is a lot of cash flow, but the investments are obviously worth it. AMD simply isn't in a position where they can have positive cash flow IMO.