• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External 8 TB SSDs before internal?

What's with the latest push for ultra expensive external 8 TB SSDs, before we even got internal consumer 8 TB nVME SSDs?

Besides usual SSD makers there's also bunch of no name makers with seemingly legit products, and apparently tons of scammer products even on legit shops that offer 8 TB, but are much smaller drives, disguised as 8 TB!

Why do all these drives look and are marketed as "lifestyle" products, aimed at wealthy content creators that want to move their content from their ultra expensive laptop to ultra expensive tablet?

There's almost no reviews on usual PC tech sites, there are some on more general tech sites?

There's:

Samsung Portable SSD T5 EVO USB 3.2 Gen 1 for $1060

SanDisk - 8TB Desk Drive USB Type-C Desktop External SSD for $680

Glyph 8TB Atom PRO Portable Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD for $1400

VectoTech 8TB External SSD USB-C Portable Solid State Drive (USB 3.1 Gen 2) for $620

Teamgroup M200 8TB (eventually)

Last edited:
Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
aimed at wealthy content creators

You answered your question. There's money to be made there and that crowd generally doesn't balk at the price, as opposed to PC enthusiasts. Besides, that market is much bigger than DIY PC.

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why do you think there are no internal 8 TB NVME drives? I can find:
  • TeamGroup MP44 8TB
  • Corsair Force Series MP600 Pro 8TB
  • ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade 8TB
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB
Also all very expensive (over 100€/TB), but I feel that is to be expected at the high end of capacity.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
You answered your question. There's money to be made there and that crowd generally doesn't balk at the price, as opposed to PC enthusiasts. Besides, that market is much bigger than DIY PC.
One anecdote we could use is the Steam Deck (Handhelds). I am sure most owners have more Games than they can install on the internal storage on the Deck. There has been an 8TB SSD available from Kingston (I have one) that is actually more expensive than when I got mine about 5 years ago. There are 870 QVO 8 TB (Have been) but they seem to be the NAND that Samsung does not want as that drive has the most negative reviews I have ever seen. Apparently the endurance is very poor on those but you can get 8 TB for about $450 US. If M2 is your wheel house, Corsair will set you back about $1000 US on Newegg as well.

Then you have those $30 adapters that have HDMI, USB and USB C and the laptop market is suddenly in play too. As well as MINI PCs.

• TeamGroup MP44 8TB
Also all very expensive (over 100€/TB), but I feel that is to be expected at the high end of capacity.

Yes, there are 8 TB nVME drives, but with the very high prices and very limited availability I wouldn't call them "consumer drives". There are also almost no reviews of the drives, and if there are, it's usually explained they tested the lower capacity from the lineup - as if the drives are too expensive to be sent to reviewers? Perhaps they are, but how come reviewers always get their hands on high end GPUs, costing twice as much?

And we're still talking about 8 TB as some almost unreachable cutting edge technology - more than 4 years after the release of Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
SSD Prices are just as high because you have no other choice.
nobody can convince me that half a fingernail worth of silicon on a strip of chewing gum sized PCB costs more than 5€ per TB in production.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
SSD Prices are just as high because you have no other choice.
nobody can convince me that half a fingernail worth of silicon on a strip of chewing gum sized PCB costs more than 5€ per TB in production.
The slap in the face is boards support even longer drives (22110) and now well provisioned boards have thermal pads on both the bottom and top so having NAND chips on the bottom is fine. It is the stupid narrative that did not have the community demand that we get Higher NAND Capacity drives. The penetration has been about the same but instead of paying less per TB like HDD, NAND flash has us convinced that the reverse is true.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of cartel agreement with HDD drive makers, to divide the consumer space between small SSD drives and larger HDD disks?

There have been some news several times in the past years on how we're on the brink of SSD drive capacity expansion, latest in the past month about WD with titles like "SSDs are about to become massive, thanks to WD", but when you read the article, it's all about some undefined future...

SSDs are about to become massive, thanks to WD

16TB M.2 SSDs will soon grace the market — Kioxia unveils 2Tb 3D QLC NAND to build bigger SSDs

"The increased storage capacity of Kioxia's 2Tb 3D QLC NAND devices will enable customers to build high-capacity SSDs in small form factors. For example, a 16-Hi stacked package (measuring 11.5 x 13.5 x 1.5 mm) could create a 4TB M.2-2230 SSD or a 16TB M.2-2280 drive. This will benefit Kioxia's customers who build SSDs."

So... 2, 4TB 2230 SSDs for consumer markets, and larger drives with premium prices for hungry AI servers? Or are we finally breaking the curse of 2019 Samsung 8 TB QVO? But it has been only... 5 years!

If I cite and correct myself:

I paid 165 EUR for my Super Talent Ultradrive ME 64GB SSD in 2009, and in the next 10 years the available size really exploded to 8TB! And now we are at more than 5 years of same available capacity - and that capacity still hasn't become widely available or affordable, and everyone acts like this is completely normal...

Imagine, from 64 GB to 8.000 GB in 10 years, that's 62% growth every year, we could be at:

2020: 13TB
2021: 21TB
2022: 34TB
2023: 55TB
2024: 89TB
2025: 144TB

You think we could get 1/10 of that in the next year, please?

Last edited:
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
What's with the latest push for ultra expensive external 8 TB SSDs, before we even got internal consumer 8 TB nVME SSDs?
There are a lot of internal SSD drives with 8TB+ available. Even as NVME with a PCIe 4.0x4 interface.

Sure. With twice the price per TB as for 2 and 4 TB drives for 8 TB models, and for larger sky is the limit. Availability is rather poor, and there are almost no reviews - I wouldn't call that normal consumer drives.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Well. What do you expect. There are not that much models available and they are more rarely tested as they are uninteresting for the typical SOHO User. Because of that also the prices are higher. All of that arguments shows a normal business. For what a standard user gaming day in day out should be in need for i.e. 32TB PCIe 4.0x4 8TB drives? He would also cry about the prices. I just need to see how much are crying about the prices of a NVidia 4090 GPU.

That's all true and fine. But when was the last time PC hardware just stopped evolving for 5+ years? All we're getting are faster sequential speeds, with all benchmarks showing this doesn't do squat for load, installation, boot times...

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
As far as i remember there were 2 upgrades from PCIe 3.0 towards PCIe 5.0 within the last years. 4 yrs ago i got one of the first PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD Drives for my actual system. I also got a PCIe 3.0 Drive for secondary data. All that didn't make my system remarkable faster. I use my rig for productivity. If my system boots 5 secs faster or not doesn't matter as it boots one time and then is running at least 12h at one piece. Also i get a Latte Macchiato whilst the PC boots. The calculation of a spreadsheet inside Excel did take the same time. The scanning and slicing of 3D models also took nearby the same time. With that new generation i did compensate the stupidy of M$ by integrating new unneeded features. I bet with my new system a full recalc of my spreadsheed takes the same time than before. As long as the dumb people can't differ between an interpreter and a compiler i don't expect faster calculations. I don't know which idiot did invent i.e. #net. I don't use it. I don't see any reason to get sources compiled to have it interpreted after at runtime as #Net only compiles to a virtual code and interprete that at runtime. One of the best programs for book management is written in python. How stupid one can be too use a Web-Language instead of a real language. Java is the same. There one can see that software engineering isn't of interest anymore. Also a good foundation of basic knowledge like the appropriate data structures. Algorythms are good for a certain amount of elements. If the amount gets bigger the algorythms get more worse and horrible slow.

Sometimes it is more wise to keep on old technics than implement all the time new ones. But that's strongly against the revenue. Everybody want's to use a cloud system and outsourced development. No matter what for. That those systems can and will be hacked much more easy than internal ones doesn't matter. Security is not in focus anymore. Get it free or at least cheap rules nowadays. In private or in business. So: What do you expect?

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2

Besides usual SSD makers there's also bunch of no name makers with seemingly legit products, and apparently tons of scammer products even on legit shops that offer 8 TB, but are much smaller drives, disguised as 8 TB!

Why do all these drives look and are marketed as "lifestyle" products, aimed at wealthy content creators that want to move their content from their ultra expensive laptop to ultra expensive tablet?

There's almost no reviews on usual PC tech sites, there are some on more general tech sites?

There's:

Samsung Portable SSD T5 EVO USB 3.2 Gen 1 for $1060

SanDisk - 8TB Desk Drive USB Type-C Desktop External SSD for $680

Glyph 8TB Atom PRO Portable Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD for $1400

VectoTech 8TB External SSD USB-C Portable Solid State Drive (USB 3.1 Gen 2) for $620

Teamgroup M200 8TB (eventually)

"d*mb consumer" products such as "glamorous" external drive or usb stick are created just for $$$ waste. People who understand something in that always prefer reliability before design, lol. So, I agree with marketing "lifestyle", let it be!:D

I saw a Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD 8TB for $670 in Canada suggesting the cost per GB is falling even faster now. Sold out fast.

Team Group QX SATA 4TB is $260 which is some serious price rot

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I'm wondering if there's some kind of cartel agreement with HDD drive makers, to divide the consumer space between small SSD drives and larger HDD disks?

There have been some news several times in the past years on how we're on the brink of SSD drive capacity expansion, latest in the past month about WD with titles like "SSDs are about to become massive, thanks to WD", but when you read the article, it's all about some undefined future...

SSDs are about to become massive, thanks to WD

Market segmentation/manipulation is no doubt a factor, whether its cartel dont know of course.

No doubt SATA SSD's can hit much higher capacities than they currently sold at.

M.2 we know can hit 8TB, but SKU availability from a practical point of view is nothing as those listed are rare and not consumer friendly pricing.

A 4TB 870 EVO during the good price era at start of this year was £170. (ironically cheaper than the QVO variant, and it still is cheaper than the QVO variant). 8TB if existed could have been below £350.

We know they artificially maintaining prices on a per GB basis. We also know there is segmentation so there isnt consumer SSD's made that attract enterprise customers. With both of these in mind, at current pricing a 8TB 870 EVO would be circa £500.

Personally I dont consider M.2 a mass storage platform, thats what SATA is for, M.2 is about fast burst performance, it especially has great marketing benefits, as an example not long ago in another thread there was multiple posts claiming SATA SSDs are now some kind of junk tech to be placed alongside USB storage. When in reality on most consumer workloads they are as fast as a M.2 NVME. So the focus of the consumer market is to release faster and faster M.2 devices to keep those prices up. Its a high burst performance that attracts gamers and editors.

Of course given dramless NVME devices can utilise HMB and no casing needs to be manufactured, the margins are higher which will be the real reason manufacturers prefer making these to SATA models its all about the $$$.

HDD's are an interesting one as I struggle to see how the margins are as good as SSDs, they must be lower due to the size and complexity of the units. However when you factor in market segmentation it makes sense, if we replaced large capacity HDD's with e.g. 12TB SSDs, even if they were SATA based, I expect we would see some high datacentre demand, and that then murders extreme margin enterprise sales.

I am assuming the demand on here is because there is a bunch of users who want to start using M.2 as consumer mass storage which as I said in my opinion is not suitable or designed for that purpose. HDDs are plenty fast for mass storage, my main issue with using them is the power consumption. Of course M.2 drives power consumption is now not a lot better than HDDs, its the low powered SATA SSDs which are kings in that area.

£300 seems to be the consumer ceiling on a per device bases, above that sales nose dive, given 4TB SSDs at current pricing are a little below that, it ultimately explains whats going on as well. We definitely need pricing to go back to January 2024 levels before we would start seeing 8TB consumer models, the issue is the manufacturers dont like that pricing.

It was really a surprise that after a debut of Samsung QVO 8 TB SATA drive market practically overnight completely adopted M.2 as the sole format for SSDs. I know even with the first NVMe drives going back to SATA would mean loosing on the simplest metric you can market, transfer speed.

The only available consumer 8 TB SSD for a very long time, Samsung QVO, is not only slow in comparison to M.2 drives or even other SATA SSDs, it is slow even compared to HDDs, with sequential speeds around 100 MB/s, after you fill the cache. Of course it's access time, random and small file speeds are still much better than with HDDs, so it still sells - but it's painfully obsolete, and they can charge 550 EUR for a product that uses years old tech that must be so cheap to make now...

But the alternatives are quickly 50% more expensive, either in M.2 or U.2, U.3 server focussed drives...

About the "comfortable price level" - I agree, and I think when we actually do see brand new high capacity chips first focus of storage companies will be actually to produce M.2 drives in "standard" capacities that are cheaper to make - but not necessarily cheaper to sell, high profit is oh so desirable...

Last edited:
System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Low demand, low supply, high price. Seems kinda simple to me no?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Low demand

This right here. Even 8TB HDD's are not that common, and it's not consumers that drive the need for that kind of storage.

WD quietly adds roomy 8TB NVMe SSD to its gaming lineup

Not terribly exciting, the price is in line with other 8 TB NVMe drives out there. That's probably the reason why they are doing it "quietly".

But at least it gives me hope that with the arrival of those new larger capacity chips, advertised by WD, Kioxia we could see a large price slash of 8 TB models, to be somewhat in line in cost per TB with smaller models, and the ultra high price shifted onto the new highest capacity models, 12, 16 TB which should theoretically be possible...

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I saw a Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD 8TB for $670 in Canada suggesting the cost per GB is falling even faster now. Sold out fast.

Don't forget that's QLC nand in those too.

I am assuming the demand on here is because there is a bunch of users who want to start using M.2 as consumer mass storage which as I said in my opinion is not suitable or designed for that purpose. HDDs are plenty fast for mass storage, my main issue with using them is the power consumption. Of course M.2 drives power consumption is now not a lot better than HDDs, its the low powered SATA SSDs which are kings in that area.
I would like to see power loss protection on consumer drives as a standard feature. So far I've managed to corrupt NVMe OS installation images several times more than SATA based SSD's over the years.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510

Are those Samsung Drives are the ones that have terrible endurance?

Processor Intel i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS Z790M-Plus
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 6000 G. Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB SN850X + 2x 4 TB Lexar NM790
Display(s) 32" 4K/240 Hz W-OLED w/ 1080P/480Hz Mode + 39" 3440x1440 240 Hz W-OLED
Case Lian Li O11 Mini
Audio Device(s) Kali LP-UNF + Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Keychron Q6 Pro
  • TeamGroup MP44 8TB
There's also 8 TB Nextorage NEM-PAB's, which is pretty great.