• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About my fancurve an noise on my Merc 310 7900XT

Schalde

So i bought this card as my first high end gpu and im not really sure if have a card that is standard when it comes to noise, because i think its VERY loud from 1000 rpm and up

First i have been undervolting it to 1060mv min 500 mhz max 2500 mhz power tuning -8

my first setup is with fan configuration turned off in AMD adrenaline, and with that its running smooth 500-600 rpm which is around 15% fan speed its running temp around 55-65core and 65-78hotspot and very rarely go up in rpm maybe a few time at 800-1000k rpm,

The reason im not running a configured fan curve is because the lowest i can set is 23% and i think it too loud for idle loud and soft gaming.

I just dont understand why its not possible to configure your fan curve and the value on this GPU to be under 23%

So my first question.. is there any way to set a profile to be under 23%?

2nd question is. is it fine to actually run your gpu with low rpm aound 500-700 when the temp core stays under 75 and hotspot under 85 or should i try to cool it more?

thanks in advance

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What case and cooling do you have? For my XFX 6950XT Merc 319 I generally just put it in quiet mode, and the fans don't really make a noise I can hear below ~1500RPM, but the case has some sound proofing and sits on the floor below the desk. I started out fiddling with curves but it was annoying and all settings reset when there was a driver crash and there will be a lot of those when you're tinkering with undervolting, so I resorted to just use the presets, and it works pretty well.

The card is supposed to turn the fans off when idling.

Schalde

What case and cooling do you have? For my XFX 6950XT Merc 319 I generally just put it in quiet mode, and the fans don't really make a noise I can hear below ~1500RPM, but the case has some sound proofing and sits on the floor below the desk. I started out fiddling with curves but it was annoying and all settings reset when there was a driver crash and there will be a lot of those when you're tinkering with undervolting, so I resorted to just use the presets, and it works pretty well.

The card is supposed to turn the fans off when idling.
I have the Fractal North. it have 2 front fan, 2 top and 1 rear but no button. its sitting on the floor in a cool room.

nothing really happen when i pick the silent mode.. maybe its a bug and need a reinstall of adrenaline.

mine is not using zero apm. it just idle at around 500-600rpm all the time start at 40 and stays like that undtil 75ish

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
this review says it all- it´s not a very silent card.

how much you can tune it to be silent-idk ?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
My XTX 6950XT is not quiet by any means. Can hear it across the room in a normal curve. Gotta really dial in on Adrenaline and keep an eye on temps until you get somewhere or power limit it.

Schalde

this review says it all- it´s not a very silent card.

how much you can tune it to be silent-idk ?
well when i run my curve at 23% fan speed around 900 rpm thats the spot where its starting to tune up and away from silent. and thats around 180-280 watt

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i think ya did nearly everything there is with undervolt ++ if 25% fan speed is too loud for you already

power tuning -15 is the only thing i can think of

you have dual bios so maybe ask XFX if they can send you a silent bios

and sorry the review i posted is from a black edition so that could mean higher power target.

Last edited:

Schalde

i think ya did nearly everything there is with undervolt ++ if 25% fan speed is too loud for you already

power tuning -15 is the only thing i can think of

you have dual bios so maybe ask XFX if they can send you a silent bios
Yeah maybt but thanks anyway.

its really sad because its a really great performaing card. and tbh. im not really sure if i am the problem, the case or the card. i will have to go check other GPU and see if i can find any silence one and take a chance selling this and trying a new one.

any suggesting for manufacture?

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo

have a look at the noise graph from the different cards

sorry this is with all tested here at tpu:

Schalde

have a look at the noise graph from the different cards

sorry this is with all tested here at tpu:
Thanks.

Seems like there is a big different between merc and both sapphire and Asrock. The funny part is i was actually so close to buying the sapphire instead :ohwell:

Processor 5960x
Memory 32 Viper
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
oh damn.
what i find funny is how the asus is quiet but the quiet bios is not doing much in dBa.

i really hope you find a good card

chrisfv

mine is not using zero apm. it just idle at around 500-600rpm all the time start at 40 and stays like that undtil 75ish
Does it have a BIOS switch near I/O port? You need to switch to the non-default BIOS there for zero rpm to work. XFX confirmed the default BIOS doesn't support zero rpm.

Schalde

Does it have a BIOS switch near I/O port? You need to switch to the non-default BIOS there for zero rpm to work. XFX confirmed the default BIOS doesn't support zero rpm.
I have zero RPM activated but im not really happy about... its allready switcing up in rpm at 40 degree hotspot so quite fast

chrisfv

I have zero RPM activated but im not really happy about... its allready switcing up in rpm at 40 degree hotspot so quite fast
I am personally fine with hotspot <85 and fan < 1500 rpm. Perhaps its my ear already falling off from my parrot yelling all the time, lol.

Schalde

I am personally fine with hotspot <85 and fan < 1500 rpm. Perhaps its my ear already falling off from my parrot yelling all the time, lol.
I just think there is alot of different between how lous each GPU is at what rpm. some can probably run at 1500-1800 rpm with the same noise as my card at 1000rpm.

Schalde

try fancontrol to for custom fan curves, you can get around those limitations and still have 0 fan speed on low temps etc. and it doesn't reset after driver crash
sadly i allready tried that i i can override that limitation that is 23% fanspeed. if i try to go under it just hold me on 23%