• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Legion i7 10750h unvervolting help

Danel52

Hi guys, I have this Lenovo Legion with i7 10750h and nVidia 1660ti for about 3 years, i clean in reguraly and I changed the thermal paste already 3 times (not a big brand name).
I have -100mV core and -80mV stable in ThrotleStop 960M bench but i get HOT 99 Celsius all the time and Ghz goes down to 3.2-3.3, even though i can get 4.3 at idle. What can I do ?
I will atach some screenshots

1721244468606.png
1721244514165.png
1721244550226.png

Edit 1: After 1 hour of idle with this settings it randomly shut down

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I changed the thermal paste already 3 times (not a big brand name).
The thermal paste you are using looks to be causing a big problem. Order some Honeywell PTM 7950 and do a proper job next time. The 10750H is a hot running CPU. Your laptop is overheating when power consumption is only 47.5 Watts. There is an almost 20°C difference in the peak core temperatures of two cores running the exact same code. The thermal paste likely failed a long time ago.

GHz goes down to 3.2-3.3
That is the definition of thermal throttling. The CPU is slowing down as much as necessary so it does not exceed 99°C.

Danel52

The thermal paste you are using looks to be causing a big problem. Order some Honeywell PTM 7950 and do a proper job next time. The 10750H is a hot running CPU. Your laptop is overheating when power consumption is only 47.5 Watts. There is an almost 20°C difference in the peak core temperatures of two cores running the exact same code. The thermal paste likely failed a long time ago.

That is the definition of thermal throttling. The CPU is slowing down as much as necessary so it does not exceed 99°C.
I will try and see if I can find that thermal paste in my country. I used this thermal paste for more PCs and laptops, never had a problem, now it’s only 3 months old. But I will change it, very easy on this laptop.
Thanks a lot, other than that, the settings are ok ?

Danel52

Hi, i just got Honeywell Thermal Pad installed on CPU and it's 1000 times better, now when I run a TS Bench on 960M it's table between 70 and 80 Celsius with -70mV on both core and cache undervolt. I just get PL1 with red in limits, what could it be ?

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
That means that it's power limits cannot supply what the CPU is demanding.
As it runs cooler, the CPU says juice me up baby, and runs at it's power limits.

unclewebb

@Danel52

If you still have your PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits set to 65W and 75W, that will cause power limit throttling. Now that your cooling problem is fixed, you should be able to increase these power limits which will allow the CPU to turbo boost longer and run faster. Turbo power limits are like attaching an anchor to a race horse. Time to ditch the power limits so your CPU can run like it was designed to run.

1722958499782.png

Danel52

@Danel52

If you still have your PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits set to 65W and 75W, that will cause power limit throttling. Now that your cooling problem is fixed, you should be able to increase these power limits which will allow the CPU to turbo boost longer and run faster. Turbo power limits are like attaching an anchor to a race horse. Time to ditch the power limits so your CPU can run like it was designed to run.

View attachment 357738
Thanks a lot, I raised them to 85 and 105, and I stay consistently under 90 Celsius, everything is perfect now, it’s like it’s a new laptop.

unclewebb

i just got Honeywell Thermal Pad installed on CPU and it's 1000 times better
Thanks for following up and posting your results. Many users keep buying whatever crappy paste that their local computer store got a good deal on. When used on a mobile CPU, using Honeywell PTM 7950 really does make a big difference.

Most users report fairly consistent temperatures over time. Some MX-4 users report temperatures going up and up within the first week or two. Here is my fav video of what thermal paste pump out is all about. After a short while there is almost no paste left between the heatsink and CPU.

Danel52

Thanks for following up and posting your results. Many users keep buying whatever crappy paste that their local computer store got a good deal on. When used on a mobile CPU, using Honeywell PTM 7950 really does make a big difference.

Most users report fairly consistent temperatures over time. Some MX-4 users report temperatures going up and up within the first week or two. Here is my fav video of what thermal paste pump out is all about. After a short while there is almost no paste left between the heatsink and CPU.

Exactly, there was barely any paste between the CPU and heat sink, I used arctic silver mx4 and it was only 3 months old