• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I use an "autodetect" vbios on any memory type?

Trotro_Rigolo

Hello, the question is in the title, as long as the gpu is the same, of course.
If I can't find any vbios for my card with the same memory type in the database (for example with HF Micron memory support)
And also, if that's the case, then why does it specify for example "Elpida" and "Samsung" timings plus autodetect.

ps: that would be a good feature to be able to search in the vbios list by memory type for a specific gpu

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello, the question is in the title, as long as the gpu is the same, of course.
If I can't find any vbios for my card with the same memory type in the database (for example with HF Micron memory support)
And also, if that's the case, then why does it specify for example "Elpida" and "Samsung" timings plus autodetect.

ps: that would be a good feature to be able to search in the vbios list by memory type for a specific gpu
Use your previous thread, the answer is no, you will brick the card

Auto detect without ram specified will kill it, it's a command to try and automatically detect what ram is present on the card but it must be specified, so example if the Card has Samsung FE memory and the Bios doesnt specify it in the details, it will not work, possibly causing a blank screen as well.

Some bios handle multiple card's ram but without Autodetect Command and Specific Ram noted in the bios, and the specific ram on the card it will not work.

Last edited: