• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Statement on 13th and 14th Gen Core Instability: Faulty Microcode Causes Excessive Voltages, Fix Out Soon

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
nice try on the explain-it-away there Intel
But nobody is that stupid you pushed your silicon beyond its reasonable limits to compete with amd and it came back to bite you
now you have sold a bunch of cpus to people that are suddenly going to get a lot slower

I hope you enjoy class actions because there is one headed your way

5800X didn't really offer a lot over the 5800 (less than 2% difference in single-threaded performance, and nearly 8% in multi-threaded) but with a 60% higher TDP... and the same was true further down the product stack.
5800X: Nov 5th, 2020, Retail
5800: Jan 12th, 2021, OEM

5800 was released several months later as 65W OEM exclusive model.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
nice try on the explain-it-away there Intel
But nobody is that stupid you pushed your silicon beyond its reasonable limits to compete with amd and it came back to bite you
now you have sold a bunch of cpus to people that are suddenly going to get a lot slower

I hope you enjoy class actions because there is one headed your way
Im surprised this isn't already happening.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
That's how I feel as well. Intel is far beyond the point where they should have gone back to the drawing board to design a whole new microarchitecture from the ground up. If AMD can do it, why can't Intel? Seriously, Intel makes far more money than AMD makes.

Intel CPU users: just buy a new PC with a 15th generation Intel CPU and the problem will be solved.

When problems arise with 15th generation Intel CPUs, just buy a new PC with a 16th or 17th generation Intel CPU and the problem will be solved.

Do it exactly this way and you won't have any problems.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
GN just posted results from the analysis lab and denied RMA's. Edit: They're still awaiting results from the lab, but changes nothing.

So uh..sell dodgy chips to server farms, deny RMA even though they knew about the oxidization issue at the time then release a half assed statement two years after the chips launch that the chips have an issue, sorry wait multiple issues.

So if intel apparently 'fixed' this oxidization issue which apparently plagued early 13th gen batches, obviously they knew about it. And then they did....nothing? For years? They release a statement saying that right when third party analysts start mentioning it? Also, they conveniently fail to mention what batches were affected by the issue. Still trying to figure that out after years eh?

Something smells funny.

edit2: Just putting this out there as well, he rambles for a whole hour but the first two minutes are pretty informative lol

GN didn't leave anything for Intel to hold onto i suppose. Fed up so much it is hard to believe.
The worst part is, Intel knew about it and still went with it. I only feel sorry for those who have not received RMA's of the product even though they deserved it. Not informing partners about the issue is literally speaking disgusting.
I'm gonna go on a limb and say "to be like Intel" meaning very dishonest. Not a shocker either.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
GN did leave anything for Intel to hold onto i suppose. Fed up so much it is hard to believe.
The worst part is, Intel knew about it and still went with it. I only feel sorry for those who have not received RMA's of the product even though they deserved it. Not informing partners about the issue is literally speaking disgusting.
I'm gonna go on a limb and say "to be like Intel" meaning very dishonest. Not a shocker either.
Worse, some users actually recieved RMA units that are also faulty and died/became unstable promptly.
I am not even sure if Intel truly knows which units are safe.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Worse, some users actually recieved RMA units that are also faulty and died/became unstable promptly.
I am not even sure if Intel truly knows which units are safe.
Oh boy. That is below the belt to be honest.
I'm sure they know but that's beside the point because , maybe all of them are bad and it's just hard to admit it. Sometimes it is better to play dumb and look for a solution to the mess they have made. The microcode reasoning is just ridiculous here. They just beat around the bush to buy more time. Or, i really don't know what they are doing to be honest. i also don't care. Lost interest in Intel long time ago.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Me too, at least... ever since Ryzen.

There's some weird choices that intel makes on their high end offerings.

Temperature limit of 110 degree hotspot or core.
Boosting beyond 6Ghz at the toes of the silicon,
Nics, NUCS (Atom) failing - same degradation happening
Power targets of well over 244W to even 350W for the higher end models.

AMD on the other hand has a certain trust in the products they bring out and PBO for example is going to last you years.

I still have a 2700X at this point, PBO for years and slightly undervolted. No issues at all.

LittleBro

Seriously ... what y'all have been expecting?
So, Intel ... eating insane amounts of Watts (300+) in benchmarks just to break every record and to dominate over AMD by a few digits of % ... Was it all worth it? Now you have the answer.

After years of Intel product paper releases and product launch postponing they said the'll accelerate the arrival of upcoming generations. They said they'll deliver on time, maybe even 2 generations per year. Now you have it. Lack of time for proper product development and testing caused all this desperate voltage-hungry benchmark-record-breaking unreliable CPUs to exist at first place. It's about goddamn time Intel realized that the proper way of progress (in terms of increasing IPC) is to modify (improve) the architecture. But you can't do that without enough time, right? Touching architecture was the AMD's approach with Zen, Zen 2, Zen 3 and Zen 5 (Zen 4 excluding). [Many don't see it but the Zen 5 is not a minor architectural improvement over Zen 4.]

This headless approach to drop HT so that they push the core clocks (& voltages of course) even higher than before was pointless at first place. Now they're planning on dropping the e-cores after they had made claims that the current e-core has IPC comparable to Raptor Lake P-Core? Why the hell would you want to drop such a good core? Perhaps to free up the resources for another round of brute force freq/voltage pushing round?

They invented the HT, they invented the e-cores for the desktop. What amount of money was put into the development of these ... They managed to win the battle with core scheduling problems and the battle with e-cores being much less powerful than P-cores. Now Arrow Lake will be stripped of HT, Bartlett Lake will be stripped of e-cores. This kind of mess seems like a trial & error approach to me.

Admitting the oxidation issues more than a year after the 13th Gen products were released (and not telling anything to anyone) really needs to see a court. They need to be fined an amount that is of a considerable loss to them - like 10% worth of their year's revenue or so.

They put desktop CPUs in older blades that weren't designed for those chips -- it was a custom hack, with intel's datacenter team but a custom hack nonetheless. You're making it sound like this is a common thing -- it's not. We build our racks and servers as well, and "Blades of 14900Ks with 128gbs of ECC ram" are not a normal setup. Server chips are usually xeons or pentiums and they run at 2.1-3.2 ghz max - and they sit there for 20 years doing it.

Of course these are not designed to burn out in a few months - but if you have blades burning out your 14900Ks ... why... put... more... 14900Ks... in those blades? Not saying that the chip is good, but when you're putting a yolked 14900K into a blade to save money this is kind of exactly the downside.
I'm aware that it's not common, it probably represents 1% of total servers. But among game hosting servers it's not as rare to put desktop CPU's/sockets because they want good single threaded performance, not a lot of threads and don't have the need to run the systems for 20 years or even 10. These systems also have a much smaller blast radius. These guys just want the CPU to be able to do it's job till the next upgrade cycle at which point they just upgrade the CPU's, all for a fraction of the cost of xeon/epyc.

It's precisely why AMD released their EPYC 4004 on AM5.

Also, it's not like they just kept putting more 14900K CPU's in new racks. Some devs initially built racks with 13900K/14900K CPU's but many have failed twice and second time around was with an underclock because they thought that stock clocks might be the issue for the first batch of CPU's to degrade. Makes sense to do that because they're getting the CPU's through RMA so it's 'free' other than the downtime and lost time through debugging. It's finally come to the point now that they're just replacing all the racks with AMD because, well, enough is enough

Edit: autocorrect on mobile sucks sorry

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim

AMD on the other hand has a certain trust in the products they bring out and PBO for example is going to last you years.

I still have a 2700X at this point, PBO for years and slightly undervolted. No issues at all.
I had a 2700x. Jumped on the 5800x I currently use due to 6900xt purchase.
No problems with my set up and the old one, 2700x serves my brother till this day with a 5600xt.
There is too many unknowns with Intel at this point for me and my concerns extend with current way of things around the company.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 cl36 Oc'd to 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
Mouse Some piece of shit from China
Keyboard Some piece of shit from China
Software Yes Please?
Random thought... I wonder if 12th gen is going to start going up in the price if this new fix isn't all its cracked up to be. People will be looking for a way to have a working computer without having to swap out motherboards....

System Name desktop
Processor i5 11600k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3600MHz, CL18
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF Gaming - OC Edition
Storage 2TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator 1440p

Also had 2700x but wasnt stable at all sadly with PBO.

I wonder if all the different theories about what is going on are not just superflous and the real culprit is simply the frequency itself. If the real safe frequency ensuring long term reliability for intensive 24/7 workloads on this manufacturing process is say 4,6 GHz, no wonder that things are breaking when you run the CPUs 1GHz quicker.

Every technology has its limits and the problematic Intel 10nm process even after all the improvements may not be able to handle high frequencies, due to its higher tendency to degradation at high temperatures (or high current density or both).

Last edited:
There's no fixed frequency or exact upper limit till which processors can operate, it's a range hence the ~50% failure rate not 100% or so. As for the safe frequency(range) Intel probably knew it & yet gambled on the chips surviving this under heavy loads! I don't buy any theory which doesn't have the buck at Intel's feet & it's their decisions not just a bad batch of chips :shadedshu:

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 23H2
Of course these are not designed to burn out in a few months - but if you have blades burning out your 14900Ks ... why... put... more... 14900Ks... in those blades? Not saying that the chip is good, but when you're putting a yolked 14900K into a blade to save money this is kind of exactly the downside.
It's not the blades that are burning the CPUs. The CPUs are burning themselves. And the main reason they are doing it is not to save money, but to get high single thread performance.

Regardless of how much I call Intel names this is on the dumb people putting OCed chips, way past their limits, in servers! The reason why server chips have conservative clocks should be fairly obvious & why running desktop chips at 6Ghz @24*7 is a bad idea.

I wonder if all the different theories about what is going on are not just superflous and the real culprit is simply the frequency itself. If the real safe frequency ensuring long term reliability for intensive 24/7 workloads on this manufacturing process is say 4,6 GHz, no wonder that things are breaking when you run the CPUs 1GHz quicker.

Every technology has its limits and the problematic Intel 10nm process even after all the improvements may not be able to handle high frequencies, due to its higher tentedcy to degradation at high temperatures (or high current density or both).
First 12900K start dieing in game servers, this simply can be intel node used to this cpus have short lifespawn

There's no fixed frequency or exact upper limit till which processors can operate, it's a range hence the ~50% failure rate not 100% or so.
Yes, there is a particular fixed frequency as a reply to a question: What is the maximal frequency to run this load this many hours a day at this temperature, when you want only this percentace of CPUs to fail in this given period of time.

It seems that Intel threw any cautious and responsible behavior out of the window and they just cranked the frequency to the maximum that the CPUs will survive in the hands of the reviewers.

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 23H2
Regardless of how much I call Intel names this is on the dumb people putting OCed chips, way past their limits, in servers! The reason why server chips have conservative clocks should be fairly obvious & why running desktop chips at 6Ghz @24*7 is a bad idea.
Why does Intel sell chips OCed way past their limits?

Well I'm not Intel so I can't answer this on their behalf, although I also wouldn't mind them being sued for $100 billion for it. They got away pretty lightly for their 2004-06(?) OEM BS & ideally this time should be different.