• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked RX580 VBIOS Help

Pahheb

Ever since I bought my XFX RX580 GTS XXX Edition as a replacement for my EVGA GTX 1060 6gb whose dye fried in 2019, I have been struggling with inexplicable problems. In certain games, my PC would simply shut off mid-gameplay, and it seemed to be linked to the GPU, as I have tried changing the PSU to a higher wattage one, undervolting the CPU, and lowering the RAM frequency, but nothing helped.

More recently I also got interested in AI-related programs such as image upscalers, which, for some unknown reason, would always crash my PC after a couple of minutes of processing so hard, that it would cause 1 long beep following by 2 short beeps, forcing me to reseat my graphics card, or else the PC would simply refuse to turn on. I soon found other causes for this issue, such as unplugging the DisplayPort cable or turning off the connected monitor manually while the PC is off, both of which would cause the same beep code and force me to reseat the GPU upon the next boot up as well.

Finally, I ran into an error message saying that my GPU has no "Graphics Output Protocol", and indeed I could no longer see the UEFI BIOS screen and neither the Grub menu in Linux. I attempted to update my BIOS, and also used Display Driver Uninstaller under Windows in an attempt to fix the problems with my GPU. Notwithstanding my efforts, the GPU still continued to malfunction, and additionally, turning off the PC did not completely turn off the monitor as it would stay in standby mode.

It was then that I stumbled upon the definition of VBIOS and thought that it might be my last effort solution. I followed the guide for Polaris GPU's, creating the atiflash directory, downloading the 2.93 version of the ATIFLASH tool, downloading the official rom file from the TechPowerUp database and renaming the file to rx580.rom, and finally installing it. To my surpise, the VBIOS version listed was the exact same one as the one on my card (see the attached image), and yet, after installing it, my PC now does not boot, does not beep, and simply lights up the VGA LED on the motherboard.

I am left completely desperate in an attempt to fix my GPU. I can still access my PC using a separate GTX 260 card (or alternatively the mining BIOS after flipping the switch), but I am not sure what else I can do anymore to fix the issues. I am a broken man.

Any help would be immensely appreciated, and here is the full list of my specs:

MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk ATX AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 2 sticks of 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo, and 2 Seagate BarraCuda HDDs
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2021)

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_213405.jpg
    IMG_20240728_213405.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240728_213156.jpg
    IMG_20240728_213156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
To my surpise, the VBIOS version listed was the exact same one as the one on my card (see the attached image), and yet, after installing it, my PC now does not boot, does not beep, and simply lights up the VGA LED on the motherboard.
Version number doesn't say anything about compatibility since the same version number can be used on a total different card.

Please provide all the information on the labels. Maybe it is also wise to remove cooler and make picture of the PCB.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6600XT 8GB / XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 850 W / Seasonic Focus 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello.
As @VuurVOS said earlier, that BIOS version number you can find on many files.
What is important on the other hand you did not provide.
Well, now since your card doesnt start ánymore, i will ask you to open the card and make some pictures :
- one with the labels from the back of the card
- one with the whole PCB
- one picture of the memory chips using macro and a good light source.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ever since I bought my XFX RX580 GTS XXX Edition as a replacement for my EVGA GTX 1060 6gb whose dye fried in 2019, I have been struggling with inexplicable problems. In certain games, my PC would simply shut off mid-gameplay, and it seemed to be linked to the GPU, as I have tried changing the PSU to a higher wattage one, undervolting the CPU, and lowering the RAM frequency, but nothing helped.

More recently I also got interested in AI-related programs such as image upscalers, which, for some unknown reason, would always crash my PC after a couple of minutes of processing so hard, that it would cause 1 long beep following by 2 short beeps, forcing me to reseat my graphics card, or else the PC would simply refuse to turn on. I soon found other causes for this issue, such as unplugging the DisplayPort cable or turning off the connected monitor manually while the PC is off, both of which would cause the same beep code and force me to reseat the GPU upon the next boot up as well.

Finally, I ran into an error message saying that my GPU has no "Graphics Output Protocol", and indeed I could no longer see the UEFI BIOS screen and neither the Grub menu in Linux. I attempted to update my BIOS, and also used Display Driver Uninstaller under Windows in an attempt to fix the problems with my GPU. Notwithstanding my efforts, the GPU still continued to malfunction, and additionally, turning off the PC did not completely turn off the monitor as it would stay in standby mode.

It was then that I stumbled upon the definition of VBIOS and thought that it might be my last effort solution. I followed the guide for Polaris GPU's, creating the atiflash directory, downloading the 2.93 version of the ATIFLASH tool, downloading the official rom file from the TechPowerUp database and renaming the file to rx580.rom, and finally installing it. To my surpise, the VBIOS version listed was the exact same one as the one on my card (see the attached image), and yet, after installing it, my PC now does not boot, does not beep, and simply lights up the VGA LED on the motherboard.

I am left completely desperate in an attempt to fix my GPU. I can still access my PC using a separate GTX 260 card (or alternatively the mining BIOS after flipping the switch), but I am not sure what else I can do anymore to fix the issues. I am a broken man.

Any help would be immensely appreciated, and here is the full list of my specs:

MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk ATX AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 2 sticks of 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo, and 2 Seagate BarraCuda HDDs
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2021)
Please provide heatsink or back of the card stickers and a picture of a ram chip.

Pahheb

Dear @VuurVOS, @Imperator, and @eidairaman1.

I have managed to reset the VBIOS to the backup I had made by booting using the Mining BIOS, flipping the switch to the Default one and re-flashing. Afterwards, I have installed a several different VBIOSes from this forum post which seem to have worked as my PC has booted correctly and doesn't seem to be producing any issues. Nevertheless, none of them fixed the GOP problem. What is even more interesting though is that the mining BIOS does indeed have a GOP and therefore does not produce any equivalent problems.

Would you in your professional opinion advise me to still disassemble the GPU to figure out the exact BIOS needed, even if I am a beginner to such repairs? Or is it not worth risking the card?

I greatly appreciate all of your time and hope that my questions are not too much of a nuisance.

Last edited:
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
No.
In this case, since you managed to start your computer, please make some pictures and put them here using the switch in both position and mention which one is it:
- GPU-z - main screen
- GPU-z - advanced tab > dropdown menu and choose advanced timings for memory
- labels from the back of the card

Attachments

• How to check memory type.jpg
    How to check memory type.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 31

Pahheb

No.
In this case, since you managed to start your computer, please make some pictures and put them here using the switch in both position and mention which one is it:
- GPU-z - main screen
- GPU-z - advanced tab > dropdown menu and choose advanced timings for memory
- labels from the back of the card
Here are the screenshots as requested.
There were only two labels visible without taking off the backplate, so I've taken pictures of both.

Thank you very much for looking into my problem!!

Attachments

• Default BIOS - Main Screen.png
    Default BIOS - Main Screen.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Default BIOS - Memory Timings.png
    Default BIOS - Memory Timings.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Label - Back.jpg
    Label - Back.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Label - Front.jpg
    Label - Front.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Mining BIOS - Main Screen.png
    Mining BIOS - Main Screen.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Mining BIOS - Memory Timings.png
    Mining BIOS - Memory Timings.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 30
Those 2 visible sticker were enough. Those were what we need.
OK, based on your card model, ID subID and memory vendor i narrowed the search :

Pahheb

Those 2 visible sticker were enough. Those were what we need.
OK, based on your card model, ID subID and memory vendor i narrowed the search :

I have tried all 5 of those VBIOSes, but unfortunately, none of them solved the GOP problem, while the 5th one gave a beep code and refused to boot up.

I initially assumed that it might be a faulty ROM chip, however, after flashing the Mining BIOS over the Default BIOS, the GOP was identified correctly and the GPU was able to show the UEFI from both of the chips (both switch positions).

I am at a loss for words, as I am not sure what could be wrong. Might it be a MB BIOS incompatibility? But then why does the Mining BIOS work? Perhaps I'm providing the wrong information?

Thank you for all your help!!

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
I have tried all 5 of those VBIOSes, but unfortunately, none of them solved the GOP problem, while the 5th one gave a beep code and refused to boot up.

I initially assumed that it might be a faulty ROM chip, however, after flashing the Mining BIOS over the Default BIOS, the GOP was identified correctly and the GPU was able to show the UEFI from both of the chips (both switch positions).

I am at a loss for words, as I am not sure what could be wrong. Might it be a MB BIOS incompatibility? But then why does the Mining BIOS work? Perhaps I'm providing the wrong information?

Thank you for all your help!!
Some usefull links for updating the GOP part of the vbios:

Pahheb

Some usefull links for updating the GOP part of the vbios:
I have tried updating the GOP on the stock BIOS both to version 1.7 and MagicGOP version 1.69. Neither of them worked.
However, when I tried updating the Mining BIOS, both of the GOP versions booted correctly into the UEFI and showed the appropriate version in the GPU details.
Perhaps it could be a hardware issue or an issue with the MB BIOS?

I have taken screenshots of all the GOP Updater outputs and attached them here to hopefully provide more information.

Attachments

• Default BIOS - GOP Update.png
    Default BIOS - GOP Update.png
    89 KB · Views: 29
  • Default BIOS - MagicGOP Update.png
    Default BIOS - MagicGOP Update.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Mining BIOS - GOP Update.png
    Mining BIOS - GOP Update.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Mining BIOS - MagicGOP Update.png
    Mining BIOS - MagicGOP Update.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 28
Hello.
Since you have a hardware switch, that allows you to change to a specific BIOS that loads at start up, then it is a small chance that the performance BIOS chip to be faulty.
Small chance...but still.

Pahheb

Hello.
Since you have a hardware switch, that allows you to change to a specific BIOS that loads at start up, then it is a small chance that the performance BIOS chip to be faulty.
Small chance...but still.
Hello!
To test this theory, I have swapped the 2 VBIOSes places - performance BIOS on mining chip and mining BIOS on performance chip, but it resulted in the exact same error, except now the mining chip was the one without the GOP.

OK, the based on the hardware tests you've made, we can draw the conclusion that the BIOS chip that is located on position "performance" of the switch is somehow damaged.
Because it is the same chip that doesn't have GOP whatever file you flash in it.
I presume you won't use the card for mining, so in this case you will keep it as it is now, meaning the performance BIOS is flashed in a chip that is working correctly.

Pahheb

OK, the based on the hardware tests you've made, we can draw the conclusion that the BIOS chip that is located on position "performance" of the switch is somehow damaged.
Because it is the same chip that doesn't have GOP whatever file you flash in it.
I presume you won't use the card for mining, so in this case you will keep it as it is now, meaning the performance BIOS is flashed in a chip that is working correctly.
Sorry, I may have misspoken!

When I swap the BIOSes places, the chip with the performance BIOS has no GOP, no matter whether it's the performance or the mining chip, so it seems to be related specifically to the BIOS and not the chip.

OK, that is a totally different info.
Then the missing GOP is a software related problem.
We must wait for a forum mate who made this GOP edit in order to find some useful info.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Sorry, I may have misspoken!

When I swap the BIOSes places, the chip with the performance BIOS has no GOP, no matter whether it's the performance or the mining chip, so it seems to be related specifically to the BIOS and not the chip.
I noticed there is also another version of GOPupd listed on winraid.level1techs.com forum. Did you also try that one?
GOPUpd_v1.9.6.5_(MAGICgop_AMD_1.69).rar

1722376314177.png

Pahheb

I noticed there is also another version of GOPupd listed on winraid.level1techs.com forum. Did you also try that one?
GOPUpd_v1.9.6.5_(MAGICgop_AMD_1.69).rar

View attachment 356996
Yes, I have indeed tried both versions and they only worked correctly with the mining BIOS, which, as mentioned previously, worked perfectly even without the updated GOP.

I could however, as a last resort, try updating the GOP on each of the VBIOSes provided by @Imperator, and see if perhaps at least one of them works correctly, even if they didn't show any GOP before that.

Alternatively, is there any other trickery that I could do such as combining the Mining BIOS memory timings with the Performance BIOS's ones? Or something similar to figure out what exact things breaks the GOP?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I could however, as a last resort, try updating the GOP on each of the VBIOSes provided by @Imperator, and see if perhaps at least one of them works correctly, even if they didn't show any GOP before that.
Have you not been? Because this tool can and does inject the required GOP partition into the vbios. I have done this successfully several times for members that otherwise had bios’ pre GOP.

Pahheb

Have you not been? Because this tool can and does inject the required GOP partition into the vbios. I have done this successfully several times for members that otherwise had bios’ pre GOP.
I have tried it with the stock BIOS only, both the one that I extracted from my own card and the one that was provided to me, but not with the other 4.

I will do that tomorrow though, if you think that it could potentially solve the issue!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sometimes reflashing the card with same stock bios has fixed quite a few

Pahheb

I have tried all 5 BIOSes provided by @Imperator after running them through the GOPupdater tool, and then them again after running them through the MagicGOPupdater. None of them gave me a graphic output in the UEFI.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
I have tried all 5 BIOSes provided by @Imperator after running them through the GOPupdater tool, and then them again after running them through the MagicGOPupdater. None of them gave me a graphic output in the UEFI.
Did you try all the outputs on the graphics card?

Pahheb

That might actually be the solution. I have only ever used the DisplayPort outputs on it, but perhaps it could work over HDMI.

Nevertheless, that would not explain the random shutdowns under load, which were stated in the Windows logs to be GPU hardware errors. But I suppose it's worth a try!

I'll have access to my PC at the end of August, so I'll let you know as soon as I've identified the solution!

Thank you all very much for your consistent and exceptional help!!! This is the best troubleshooting forum experience I've ever had for sure.

Pahheb

I have finally tried the HDMI output and lo and behold - it worked. The GOP was recognized and I was finally able to see the UEFI. However, this brings with it another interesting problem, as the monitor that I have is a 2018 4K monitor, meaning that to get the full resolution and refresh rate I MUST be plugged into the DisplayPort input, but I suppose that I could just get an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter to fix that.

On the more concerning side of things, the monitor still does not turn off completely and remains in standby, sometimes flashing on and off (which did not happen on the old GTX 1060). Additionally, under heavy load, the card still shuts off, after which the GPU drivers break completely and I once again have to run DDU to reinstall them. Perhaps the card itself is faulty or I am just pushing it past its limits?

Thank you again everyone for your wonderful help.