• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Charging problem

Huybeu99

When I play heavy games, the battery will drain and my laptop will signal that it is plugged in, charging. But sometimes it will say that it is plugged in and not charging. This happens continuously and it will drop the fps to 30 and will increase back to normal. I replaced my laptop's battery because the original battery was damaged. I checked the bios and the AC adapter type is recognized correctly. Please help me!

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: RX-7878
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT Gaming OC 16GB
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Is it an HP laptop?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
What laptop? We are not psychic here. Is it the stock charger, or third party? Is it the correct wattage?

Generally speaking some high performance laptops will drain the battery during heavy usage to assist the charger. But that is to prevent performance loss. So it should do the opposite of tanking your performance to 30 fps

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
In addition to the laptop make and model and charger make and wattage, what brand was the replacement battery? OEM or "compatible"?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I think it might not be compatible.
Any info? Where did you buy it? What was the model number? Do you have a link?
There is usually battery management and protection built into the pack, and it isn't necessarily compatible.
"Plugged in, not charging" is usually a protection thing.

Last edited:
Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Also, battery might be overheating, and self-protecting.

When I play heavy games, the battery will drain and my laptop will signal that it is plugged in, charging. But sometimes it will say that it is plugged in and not charging. This happens continuously and it will drop the fps to 30 and will increase back to normal. I replaced my laptop's battery because the original battery was damaged. I checked the bios and the AC adapter type is recognized correctly. Please help me!
How often does this happen? My old laptop was a Dell Alienware from 2013(17" iirc), but I know I had the exact same issue with mine. It was a long 20+ minute wait for it to downcharge & return back to normal clock speeds. Most likely you keep your laptop plugged in a lot of the time you're using it. That means your battery is going to be nearly fully charged frequently. As a result, the cpu downclocks & the laptop switches to battery power until its down to around 10-15%. Once it reaches 10-15%, everything returns to normal speed(optimal or balanced depending on your power settings) and the battery starts charging. This is how laptops extend the life of the battery. If they did not have this feature, some of us would probably be replacing laptop batteries every year.
If you keep your laptop plugged in a lot when you're using it, there should be an option to set the battery to charge only to 50%. Even then, the laptop might still do it once per week or so. Sucks ass, but that's the drawback of using a gaming laptop; especially when its a Dell. If its doing this more than once per week, you should probably stop leaving it plugged in when you're not using it or give Dell a call & find out if there's some other issue with the hardware or software settings.
I think it might not be compatible.
Any info? Where did you buy it? What was the model number? Do you have a link?
There is usually battery management and protection built into the pack, and it isn't necessarily compatible.
"Plugged in, not charging" is usually a protection thing.
I'm not sure about that. Usually if its not compatible, the battery won't ever charge and the laptop will only run at a much lower wattage(or not at all). Same thing with the power brick. I know Dell laptops are notorious for this proprietary bullshit with regards to their power bricks and other replacement parts. If you didn't use theirs & tried to replace the brick with the same wattage but different brand, the system would run slower at a lower wattage & the battery wouldn't charge. Anyway, the OP seems to be describing the exact same issue with the battery protection as I had with my Dell. Afaik, the only way to rememdy it is to replace it with a desktop since most laptops have this issue due to having a battery, and the power bricks tend not to last since they're completely enclosed(I had to replace mine once every 3-4 years).

Imo, laptops suck & Dell sucks in general when it comes to gaming systems. Too much bloatware & shit running in the background or starting up at inconvenient times. I don't know what all Dell puts on their systems nowadays, but when I got my laptop, the diagnostic programs & battery management would drive me crazy.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I would say that 'plugged in, not charging' is a battery management or protection indication either by design or by fault. I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion. If it did it before, design. If it didn't do it before, fault either with the laptop, charger, or battery. Since the battery is the only new thing, and the battery compatability is questionable, odds are the battery is not compatible.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I would say that 'plugged in, not charging' is a battery management or protection indication either by design or by fault. I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion. If it did it before, design. If it didn't do it before, fault either with the laptop, charger, or battery. Since the battery is the only new thing, and the battery compatability is questionable, odds are the battery is not compatible.
Hard to say as the OP is a bit lacking with the details. What he's described thus far sounds like the exact same problem I had. The remedy was to turn off the feature & always let the battery remain charged at 100% and periodically run the battery down to around 15% once every week at a time when it was more convenient. I don't know how he could've screwed up the battery type. While Dell prefers its customers to order their overpriced replacement parts, their batteries are the exact same thing as the cheaper generic non-Dell brand. The replacement battery for my Alienware 17 back in 2018 was $150 while the exact same thing without the fancy alienware sticker logo on it was around $75. iirc, the tech had to pull the sticker off to confirm that you don't need to buy overpriced replacement batteries from Dell. Whether or not this has changed, I don't know, but I doubt it since I haven't heard anything about Dell manufacturing custom batteries for their laptops that have some kind of special hardware ID built into them.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Hard to say as the OP is a bit lacking with the details.
For sure, hard to say.

But the thing is, dodgy, used, damaged, faulty, and mis-branded fraudulent battery cells are sold every day. Just because they are 'samsung cells' doesn't mean anything. I can't just assume 'oh, Samsung cells. Good. Well, let's assume that the OP randomly decided to destroy their system settings for no apparent reason'. The supposedly compatible batteries may not perform as they are supposed to; either due to fraud or due to fault.

The point I was making is that if for any reason the cells can't handle the charge rate, discharge rate, or temperature (or nothing is wrong with the cells and something is instead wrong with the protection circuitry), the protection circuitry which is in series with the cells will turn them off. That will appear as a 'plugged in, not charging' indication, and the laptop would probably throttle in response.
The protection circuitry would cycle repeatedly due to temperature or overcurrent protection cycles. Trip, cool-down (literally or figuratively), reset, trip, ... repeat. Protection isn't a just works or doesn't work thing. Assuming that nothing else was changed by the OP for no apparent reason, a battery issue is the most obvious explanation of the observed results, given the fact it was the most recent thing which changed.

We can't make an assumption that the batteries are good. I would assume that they are not good. In troubleshooting, don't assume an outcome.

Or, let's be honest, the first or second-most obvious possibility is that the laptop charger or laptop charging circuitry is damaged.

OP: A picture? A link? A response? A ANYTHING!?

Last edited: