• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Meteor Lake" CPUs Face Yield Issues, Company Running "Hot Lots" to Satisfy Demand

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
In a conversation with Intel's CEO Pat Gelsinger, industry analyst Patrick Moorhead revealed that Intel's Meteor Lake CPU platform suffers from some production issues. More specifically, Intel has been facing some yield and/or back-end production issues with its Meteor Lake platform, resulting in a negative impact on Intel's margins when producing the chip. The market is showing great demand for these chips, and Intel has been forced to run productions of "hot lots"-- batch production of silicon with the highest priority that gets moved to the front of the production line so they can get packaged as fast as possible. While this is a good sign that the demand is there, running hot lots increases production costs overall as some other wafers have to go back so Meteor Lake can pass.

The yield issues associated with Meteor Lake could be stemming from the only tile made by Intel in the MTL package: the compute tile made on the Intel 4 process. Intel 4 process is specific to Meteor Lake. No other Intel product uses it, not even the Xeon 6, which uses Intel 3, or any of the upcoming CPUs like Arrow Lake, which uses the Intel 20A node. So, Intel is doing multiple nodes for multiple generations of processors, further driving up costs as typical high-volume production with a single node for multiple processors yields lower costs. Additionally, the company is left with lots of "wafers to burn" with Intel 4 node, so even with Meteor Lake having yield issues, the production is ultimately fine, while the operating costs and margins take a hit.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Stock tanked so much...

Gelsinger should pack his stuff... quit the clown parade.

My condolences to US Tax payers.

Stock tanked so much...

He’s only been ceo for 3 years, to me it looks like intel is flipping a new leaf progressing trough the nodes at a decent pace So he’s delivering on the chipsact thing.

Considering the amount of time chip development goes trough I doubt raptor lake had much of his influence as it was released a couple of months after he became ceo.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
He’s only been ceo for 3 years, to me it looks like intel is flipping a new leaf progressing trough the nodes at a decent pace So he’s delivering on the chipsact thing.

Considering the amount of time chip development goes trough I doubt raptor lake had much of his influence as it was released a couple of months after he became ceo.

But AMD is in his rear view mirror.

3 years is enough to see the "fruits" of work. In this particular case he should have insisted on axing many many things and quit bleeding money.

LittleBro

Stock tanked so much...

IMHO, Ol' Gelsy must be getting pretty awkward feedback from the board. Looks like there is no one with big enough balls to replace him in such a disastrous moments.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Stock tanked so much...

Don't worry, CEO's always have their golden parachute strapped on and ready to deploy.
He'll be fine.

Can’t imagine any demand for Meteor Lake they are garbage CPUs. The worst performance per watt compared to competition since Bulldozer.

Can’t imagine any demand for Meteor Lake they are garbage CPUs. The worst performance per watt compared to competition since Bulldozer.
Intel say they have sold 15 million plus of them since December 2023, which is it says is far more than all of its competitors combined. I genuinely would like to see some sales figures from AMD for their mobile processors.

I remember hearing something about making designs easy to port between processes, can't intel port the CPU tile to a TSMC node?

I remember hearing something about making designs easy to port between processes, can't intel port the CPU tile to a TSMC node?
That's more or less what it has done with Lunar Lake which is all TSMC silicon so Intel will only need to do the packaging. ML is Intel's first tile based mobile processor and I think that producing it in quantity has proved both more costly and difficult than expected.