• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Reports Q2-2024 Financial Results; Announces $10 Billion Cost Reduction Plan, Shares Fall 20%+

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Should be a nervous day for Intel investors when trading begins this morning. This is the biggest reason that I don't invest in individual stocks. I like being able to sleep good at night and not having stomach ulcers.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Anything about execs leading by example and taking a 90% cut
Typically, executives get a fairly nominal base salary, with stock as the primary bonus mechanism. Basically, if the company performs, the execs get "raises" in stock options that they can keep or sell. If they sell, that gets reported. For example:

CEOs aren't kings; they answer to the Board of Directors and shareholders, so when you hear stories about "CEOs giving themselves a raise," this is false, the Board has to approve that, and Board members are usually looking out for the owners of the company first. The CEO can always ask, but it's not up to him. Basically, Pat might still bring home a good salary, but if Intel's stocks tank, he's lost a lot of net worth. Honestly, I can understand why executives make big money--considering the number of livelihoods they are responsible for, you want to offer a really good salary to hopefully get a really good leader. Otherwise there could be the temptation to do something like Enron's execs did, screwing over employees, stockholders and customers.

All that said, even a big salary isn't a guarantee of good performance and ethical behavior. However, it can more often be corporate silos and in-fighting that can cause these big failures. Like at MS, for example, where the Windows and Office teams seem to never be on the same page. A good CEO knows that this ultimately falls on him, and he can only spin this stuff for so long before the truth comes out. Intel has been treading water for too long, and it looks like investors are finally taking notice. I actually wonder how much more runway Pat has with as many issues as we're seeing--Raptor Lake problems, node production issues, big losses in the GPU division. Much of that he inherited, but none of it has improved. I actually wonder if the GPU division is on the list of things to get cut. It doesn't look like it will be profitable any time soon.

Low quality post by R0H1T
It's not as simple as that, Intel's cross licensing x86-64 from AMD as well & without that they're stuck on 4GB ram.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Down around 28% so far today. For investors that bought in a few months ago at the highs have seen their investment get cut in half. Assuming they sell today. The loss is just on paper until they sell. I wonder how bad this train wreck will get before working through the defective CPU issue and the likely expensive class action lawsuit.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Down around 28% so far today. For investors that bought in a few months ago at the highs have seen their investment get cut in half. Assuming they sell today. The loss is just on paper until they sell. I wonder how bad this train wreck will get before working through the defective CPU issue and the likely expensive class action lawsuit.
They might hit the single digits, but in the long run IMO still a buy.

If China starts to move on Taiwan intel will be a $100 stock overnight.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
They might hit the single digits, but in the long run IMO still a buy.

If China starts to move on Taiwan intel will be a $100 stock overnight.
They’ll turn it around I’m sure. It’s really just figuring out what the floor is, and right now they don’t have a lot of bright spots to showcase. Still, they make products that aren’t going away anytime soon, even if they are second-class products for the foreseeable future.

If that happens what do you think will be the fate of the 2-4(?) trillion dollars of goods that move through Indian/Pacific Ocean in that region?

Intel will be the last thing investors will have to worry about!

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Pat's rear-view mirror appears to be malfunctioning.

What does DEI mean? For you to use it in such a negative light. Are you really suggesting that Intel is losing because they do not hire only White European people?
I assumed it meant the bloated admin body. I am not sure about Intel but places like Stanford and Yale have somehow a much larger admin body than academic staff. Yale has >5000 admins for 6000 students. Stanford has 18369 admins for 2323 academics. I assumed that Intel has a sizable DEI admin as well that were hired to meet specific DEI and ESG business objectives.

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
This is a failure of leadership and a focus on the past instead of the future. Intel has been too stuck on its previous dominance that it has made them scrambling to keep up recently which is why we are seeing issues across the board. They need a leadership change just like AMD did back in the day to come back.

It's not as simple as that, Intel's cross licensing x86-64 from AMD as well & without that they're stuck on 4GB ram.
That is not true at all, Intel designed a 64-bit chip, it was called itanium and was a different design than x86-64. It was their attempt to get people to stop using x86 that way they would have a monopoly because they wouldn't be forced to license to AMD.

Intel did cross licensing so that they wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to get the 64-bit extension for x86 and reduce the time AMD would have a 64-bit extension for x86 monopoly. Intel is and was more than capable of developing a 64-bit extension for x86. It was just faster to use AMD.

That is not true at all, Intel designed a 64-bit chip, it was called itanium and was a different design than x86-64. It was their attempt to get people to stop using x86 that way they would have a monopoly because they wouldn't be forced to license to AMD.

Intel did cross licensing so that they wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to get the 64-bit extension for x86 and reduce the time AMD would have a 64-bit extension for x86 monopoly. Intel is and was more than capable of developing a 64-bit extension for x86. It was just faster to use AMD.
The point is that Intel and AMD have become so interdependent on each others various x86 patents and licences that they are effectively joint owners of the modern x86 ISA. Neither AMD or Intel could threaten to withdraw their various x86 extensions without effectively losing the ability to make any modern x86 processor.

Intel went with AMD's x64 extension not because it was quicker to implement but because a critical mass of software had already been developed for 'AMD64' (which was introduced in 1999) by the time Intel introduced their x86-64 implementation (2004) once it became clear Itanium was failing against x64 Opteron. MS had also made clear that the AMD64 extension would be THE x64 Windows going forward after the current in-development version was completed (Windows Server 2008). That effectively killed any chance Intel had with Itanium in the consumer and general purpose compute market, leaving Intel with no choice but to adopt AMD64 (rebranded to Intel64, generalised to x86-64). Intel could have tried to develop an alternate x86-64 extension, but by 2003 it was clear an alternative non-compatible x64 extension would fail to get the necessary developer adoption to supplant x86-64.

Anandtech also had an article on Meteor Lake yields. Basically, yields are terrible on the part of ML that Intel actually fabs, and they are just burning through wafers to get enough supply out the door. They can't afford to have partners go elsewhere for chips (especially now that Qualcomm is in the fray), and they really are taking it in the shorts with their own nodes. At one time, Intel was the best fabricator on the planet, but it's been a long struggle that starts with their 10nm efforts that never really materialized, Intel 7 appears to have been pushed too hard, and now Intel 4 is low-yield. If ever there was a time for Intel's competitors to move in on marketshare, it's now. It does explain AMD's mobile-first push with Zen 5, even if it's only a few weeks earlier.
Intel basically admitted that Intel 4 was struggling when they announced that Sierra Forest and Granite Rapids were moving to Intel 3. Sierra Forest went on sale in June and it has a much larger Intel 3 die than Meteor Lake's Intel 4 die, so it likely has much better yields.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
The point is that Intel and AMD have become so interdependent on each others various x86 patents and licences that they are effectively joint owners of the modern x86 ISA. Neither AMD or Intel could threaten to withdraw their various x86 extensions without effectively losing the ability to make any modern x86 processor.
This is where the threat of Qualcomm/Apple Silicon is really starting to bite now. While Intel and AMD are almost unwilling partners in a symbiotic relationship at the moment Qualcomm and Apple especially with Rosetta are very quickly making it apparent that x86 has to bring something new/groundbreaking to the table otherwise there is a very viable alternative on the market. Especially in the mobile areas where insane battery life has been claimed for years from both camps but real life usage proves to be a lot lower, Apple/Qualcomm are leaving them completely in the dust without compromising performance.

If I was AMD/Intel I would be looking at RISC and going, we need to put some serious development here because I think purely relying on x86 could very quickly be a dead/dying architecture in the space of a few years.

Intel basically admitted that Intel 4 was struggling when they announced that Sierra Forest and Granite Rapids were moving to Intel 3. Sierra Forest went on sale in June and it has a much larger Intel 3 die than Meteor Lake's Intel 4 die, so it likely has much better yields.
This to me actually sounds complete the opposite and reeks of desperation. A more complex node (Intel 3) and its a LARGER die than the Intel 4 one its meant to replace with bigger yields? I am highly sceptical as that is not how it works in general!!! Newer generation nodes tend to take quite a while to get to equal failure rates as the previous nodes as the process matures in process and materials and Intel is saying that they have reversed this trend? Please excuse the mountain of salt I need to take with that statement.

The only way I would accept this is if their Intel 3 tech is being made in a completely different foundry to intel 4 and Intel 4 has a fundamental process/material/equiment failure that basically makes it basically unviable.

If I was AMD/Intel I would be looking at RISC and going, we need to put some serious development here because I think purely relying on x86 could very quickly be a dead/dying architecture in the space of a few years.
x86 CPUs started implementing good ideas from RISC philosophy back in the 90s. Since then, ARM has gotten a lot more complex so the differences between ARM and x86 aren't so extreme. And today it shows. Reviews that try to compare Zen 5 to Oryon show very similar native performance at very similar power draw. They're both TSMC N4 CPUs launched at about the same time.
This to me actually sounds complete the opposite and reeks of desperation. A more complex node (Intel 3) and its a LARGER die than the Intel 4 one its meant to replace with bigger yields? I am highly sceptical as that is not how it works in general!!! Newer generation nodes tend to take quite a while to get to equal failure rates as the previous nodes as the process matures in process and materials and Intel is saying that they have reversed this trend? Please excuse the mountain of salt I need to take with that statement.
Intel 4 is the trial run for Intel 3. Intel 3 is only a minor shrink over Intel 4. Sierra Forest has 144 cores on one die. Meteor Lake has 14 on one die.

People need to focus on the balance sheet at this point. Intel has ALOT of debt. They may have to restructure and issue tons of equity to reduce it.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Witness the godawful smell of burning old socks! Muahahaha. You will all burn with me! Or, degrade, at least.

-signed, Pat G

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Software ❶ Win 11 ❷ 10 ❸ 10
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
4th Quarter dividend halting won't wash well with investor confidence. Previous post-pandemic large dividend cuts were already concerning alongside layoffs and reduced employee compensation. Back then you could have only imagined things looking up going forward but that doesn't seem to be the story here.

3-4 fold uptick in returns with 13/14th Gen (and thats not accounting for Intel direct returns) just makes matters worse. I bet AMDs already sharpening their crayons to draw some of that potentially traumatised marketshare and mindshare in red.

Rullino32

It's strange to see Intel struggling and AMD thriving, it used to be the other way around, almost every single PC I've seen when I was at school had an Intel CPU, from pre-school all the way up to high-school, I remember almost every ads from Euronics showing the Intel jingle whenever they've advertised a high-end computer with an Intel i7, nowadays i don't watch the TV as much as before, but I thought Intel has always been the reliable option since I've had an HP Pavilion PC with an Intel i3-2100 for over a decade, and I thought going for Intel would've made sense since it worked well for me, now that I've made some research about AMD CPUs, I'll consider going for them since they have better upgradability for desktops and good iGPU and possibly better battery life for laptops.

I've heard that Intel had some anti-competitive practices like buying OEM manufacturers to only use their CPUs and if they considered other options they'd be punished in a way or the other, I've heard something similar about Nvidia with their AI and Data Center GPUs, correct me if I'm wrong.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is something that I don't know much about but I guess the question is can the x86 license be transferred to the buyer? I have heard that it can't be when the possibility that AMD could face bankruptcy years ago was discussed here.

Intel is the rights holder. It would be the rights that would be transferred not a license. Buyer would be getting the goose not the eggs.

Last edited:
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Intel should have come out earlier about their major CPU issues, but they kept denying it up until its too late.

It's strange to see Intel struggling and AMD thriving, it used to be the other way around, almost every single PC I've seen when I was at school had an Intel CPU, from pre-school all the way up to high-school, I remember almost every ads from Euronics showing the Intel jingle whenever they've advertised a high-end computer with an Intel i7, nowadays i don't watch the TV as much as before, but I thought Intel has always been the reliable option since I've had an HP Pavilion PC with an Intel i3-2100 for over a decade, and I thought going for Intel would've made sense since it worked well for me, now that I've made some research about AMD CPUs, I'll consider going for them since they have better upgradability for desktops and good iGPU and possibly better battery life for laptops.

I've heard that Intel had some anti-competitive practices like buying OEM manufacturers to only use their CPUs and if they considered other options they'd be punished in a way or the other, I've heard something similar about Nvidia with their AI and Data Center GPUs, correct me if I'm wrong.
Intel is well known & has been fined for anti -competitive practices for decades now. AMD is doing alright, but they ALWAYS seem to NOT take full advantage of Intel's misery or should I say miseries. And part of that problem is AMD still cannot meet supply demand for its products, where as Intel has the ability to pump more hardware into supply chains in a jiffy. Anyhow, I see AMDs processor market share increasing significantly in the next few quarters.

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4×32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
"Intel Financials Not Looking Good"
Are you some kind of detective? :D
1723762772236.png