• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Puget Systems Releases CPU Failure Report: AMD CPUs Achieve Higher Failure Rate Than Intel 13th and 14th Generation

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Puget is clearly full of it. Why even bother dropping your name into the conversation with 2% vs 4% failure rates. You're not even in the same ballpark in this conversation when others are seeing 50% to 100% failure rate. Quick lets redirect to AMD, zomg 2% higher failure rate, no one will notice.

Oh that's right, you're incentivized lmao.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
View attachment 357603
While it's not a lot to go on, what this graph tells me is that Puget Systems had no problems with Canon Lake. They then saw a statistically significant jump (from under 1% to 7.5%) around the time of Rocket Lake, which was really the first Intel generation to go bananas with power to the CPU. In response, Puget Systems probably learned a lesson and altered their power management strategy at the launch of Adler Lake, which appears to have drastically reduced failure rates (7.5% down to 1%). Then, all of a sudden, they saw a noticeable jump in failures with Raptor Lake (1% to 2.5%), despite their power management efforts. So if we're really looking at things, even a "properly tuned" Raptor Lake system is failing at higher than Adler Lake, and these systems are much newer and we're just now starting to see the failures present themselves. The reports are that Raptor Lake starts failing after around 6 months of active service. Adler Lake is all in the field by now and has been in operation far longer than Raptor Lake. That makes the jumps concerning and it is apparently just the beginning. It also means the microcode patch may not mitigate the failures at all since Puget Systems is properly configuring their rigs.

I can't make an assessment on their Ryzen rates because they don't talk at all about volume or how they set them up. I'm already assuming that their Intel volume remains constant from gen 10 to 14.
If your theory is right, and they really started configuring their own power limits after 11th gen, then it makes the data even more skewed and irrelevant.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Correct and the original article wasn't intended to to draw any conclusions on AMD rates. It's the tech Media that is trying to do so for the clicks.
The problem is the PS’s CEO presented incomplete data to begin with, then he tossed AMD in the mix, though at least he says it was not intended to point the finger at AMD. And yes, our click-driven media often out-of-contexts things in such a way as to change the meaning, intent, and conclusions of the OP. They remake the story into something else entirely, something more sensational, and sometimes even purposefully due to special interests. I think PS’s main intent was to assure potential buyers and current system owners that the company is monitoring the failure rates and wanted to ensure owners they configured Raptor Lake rigs by Intel’s guidelines. Had they just excluded AMD from this blog post, we wouldn’t have the uproar, but it probably also wouldn’t have made any news cycles. We kinda do this to ourselves. :(

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
TLDR: This means that the data is not necessarily applicable to gamers, anybody running their motherboard's default settings, or anybody who's overclocking their PC.
That just means that the data is irrelevant. You can't talk about failure rates of CPUs that you first configure to run at your chosen settings instead of the default. It's like a tuning shop providing data on engine failures after they've done some remapping and potentially other modifications. Sure, it's data, but irrelevant regarding the overall reliability of that engine.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
If your theory is right, and they really started configuring their own power limits after 11th gen, then it makes the data even more skewed and irrelevant.
What I’d like to see is this dataset continue to be updated for the next 6 months. Because of how RapLake is reportedly failing—it’s a time-influenced degradation—the percentage of failures should favor deployed systems. The problem might just be in the beginning phases. I think that gen 14 is going to see the highest spike, since it just takes gen 13 and ramps up even higher. Being newest to the market, we just might need more time for gen 14 failures to present themselves. That 14 already matches 13 is a telling sign, IMO. 13 has been in the wild for a lot longer, and it sounds like 14 was rushed to market.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
What I’d like to see is this dataset continue to be updated for the next 6 months. Because of how RapLake is reportedly failing—it’s a time-influenced degradation—the percentage of failures should favor deployed systems. The problem might just be in the beginning phases. I think that gen 14 is going to see the highest spike, since it just takes gen 13 and ramps up even higher. Being newest to the market, we just might need more time for gen 14 failures to present themselves. That 14 already matches 13 is a telling sign, IMO. 13 has been in the wild for a lot longer, and it sounds like 14 was rushed to market.
What I'd like to see is a complete list of modifications that they do on these CPUs. Stating that they configure them with custom power limits without giving any details makes all the data irrelevant.

As for the time frames, you're right. Let's not forget how long these products have been on the market.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Ahh, Puget, the vendor that refused to use Ryzen cpus and when they finally started selling them, their “Configuration assistant “ always ended suggesting an Intel cpu.

Better yet, if their claims are true, how come nobody else experienced such a huge number of issues with their AMD cpus outside Puget?

I will admit, this intel collapse (thank you karma!) is really showing the rabid fanbois, bribed influencers and especially, the white knights which are out in full force doing damage control.

Adding the DOJ investigation on Ngreedia plus the conveniently and sudden delay on their new AI chips, the other side will also be super busy.

Meanwhile … :)

When I read nonsense like this (I really regret being able to read and write in three languages sometimes), and watch nonsense like this

I start to sympathize with lunatics like the Userbarchmenk guy. Maybe, just maybe, what that fool posts is true

Intel damage control pysop. On Intel board of directors no f*ckery here, but we can't make any promises.

Ah yes, it's a psyop because AMD does no wrong whatsoever, and a highly-specialized ODM is truly representative of the market at large

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Ah yes, it's a psyop because AMD does no wrong whatsoever, and a highly-specialized ODM is truly representative of the market at large

Not accusing you but any Intel, AMD, Nvidia thread about wrongdoing always seems to bring about the "what about what the other guys did wrong?" detour away from the subject at hand. Just because the other guys did wrong in the past isn't a justification for what the current guys are doing wrong. It doesn't lessen the offense. It's just deflection.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Not accusing you but any Intel, AMD, Nvidia thread about wrongdoing always seems to bring about the "what about what the other guys did wrong?" detour away from the subject at hand. Just because the other guys did wrong in the past isn't a justification for what the current guys are doing wrong. It doesn't lessen the offense. It's just deflection.

I feel you brother. None of this contributes to anything - while we're flinging at each other, we're not doing what we should be doing: hold these billionaire corporations accountable

What I'd like to see is a complete list of modifications that they do on these CPUs. Stating that they configure them with custom power limits without giving any details makes all the data irrelevant.

As for the time frames, you're right. Let's not forget how long these products have been on the market.
Exactly mine point of view. I guess they just turn off all power enhancement features from motherboard makers, set TDP limit and lower max boost. That would ensure lower operating voltages, lower temps and, of course, higher lifetime of the chip.

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte FO32U2P (32" QD-OLED) , Asus ProArt PA248QV (24")
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
That just means that the data is irrelevant. You can't talk about failure rates of CPUs that you first configure to run at your chosen settings instead of the default. It's like a tuning shop providing data on engine failures after they've done some remapping and potentially other modifications. Sure, it's data, but irrelevant regarding the overall reliability of that engine.

It is relevant...to Puget's customers, which is who their article is targeting. Everybody else latching onto this thinking Puget's data is relevant to their gaming PC is not getting what Puget is/does or what their goals as a company are, which was my whole point. They're telling their customers who have bought Intel that they have nothing to worry about because "Puget Systems is Unique". They're not making blanket statements for the whole industry or everybody who's not buying their workstations and I don't even see them as making excuses for Intel, as they say "we HAVE seen the issue".

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
Intel damage control pysop. On Intel board of directors no f*ckery here, but we can't make any promises.
He’s on the Board of Advisors, which is a representative group of system builders that I guess offer feedback to Intel and Intel partners. That is WAY different than being on the Board of Directors. You generally don’t see BOD’s blogging. Still might present a conflict of interest, but then again, maybe he’s just fulfilling his role by offering guidance to system builders.

Actually yes, in short, we have 2 stereotypes right now: AMD does some thing wrong because of mistake, where Intel does something wrong because of greed.
First one people like to "forgive" xd, because it was non-intentional.
Because of second one, people expect something shady from Intel, and don't believe to anything related, and that's why don't believe the article, and expect it was influenced by Intel.

If Intel will start to behave good, and make good CPU's again, people would believe Intel (I am not saying that amd cpus are good either).
But right now we have awful 13/14 gen, and bad ignorant treatment of users, who have problems with failing cpus, and lack of support in general (where new gen of cpu completely makes ur current gen obsolete in order to support future updates and optimizations).
I literally cant buy intel as plug-and-play CPU anymore, then why bother, if u have to tune it anyway, I can buy amd instead. And I dont care if they are possibly failing at the same rate.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Actually yes, in short, we have 2 stereotypes right now: AMD does some thing wrong because of mistake, where Intel does something wrong because of greed.
First one people like to "forgive" xd, because it was non-intentional.
Because of second one, people expect something shady from Intel, and don't believe to anything related, and that's why don't believe the article, and expect it was influenced by Intel.

If Intel will start to behave good, and make good CPU's again, people would believe Intel (I am not saying that amd cpus are good either).
But right now we have awful 13/14 gen, and bad ignorant treatment of users, who have problems with failing cpus, and lack of support in general (where new gen of cpu completely makes ur current gen obsolete in order to support future updates and optimizations).
The problem is that whether something bad happens as a genuine mistake, or out of corporate greed is hard to say, and is hugely up to our interpretation of events. I mean, did Intel purposefully design their latest CPUs to degrade so you'd have to buy a new one even before the next gen is out? I don't think so. Such a move damages company reputation, as other examples have shown, which is not something you'd want or plan for.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
The problem is that whether something bad happens as a genuine mistake, or out of corporate greed is hard to say, and is hugely up to our interpretation of events. I mean, did Intel purposefully design their latest CPUs to degrade so you'd have to buy a new one even before the next gen is out? I don't think so. Such a move damages company reputation, as other examples have shown, which is not something you'd want or plan for.
I don’t think it was malice, but probably negligence and/or a rushed design. Anytime we see a “refresh” product, it’s typically Plan B from the company. It also usually means it’s not as well-planned or executed, like a rebrand with bumped up clocks or moving a SKU down a level. We’ve seen rebrands from all the big players, and I can’t imagine it was anyone’s first choice.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The problem is the PS’s CEO presented incomplete data to begin with, then he tossed AMD in the mix, though at least he says it was not intended to point the finger at AMD. And yes, our click-driven media often out-of-contexts things in such a way as to change the meaning, intent, and conclusions of the OP. They remake the story into something else entirely, something more sensational, and sometimes even purposefully due to special interests. I think PS’s main intent was to assure potential buyers and current system owners that the company is monitoring the failure rates and wanted to ensure owners they configured Raptor Lake rigs by Intel’s guidelines. Had they just excluded AMD from this blog post, we wouldn’t have the uproar, but it probably also wouldn’t have made any news cycles. We kinda do this to ourselves. :(

Definitely agree, they shouldn't have included AMD numbers to begin with given they weren't the topic of the article and they didn't spend any time explaining them. Particularly of import given puget is using it's own set of BIOS defaults for it's systems which likely varies depending depending on the CPU / CPU family.

Its does not matter, its all about having a bad reputation right now, its already damaged by last years.
If they made the same mistake like 5-7 years ago, during 6-7-8 gen, people would treat it differently, and way more softly.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Love the hypocrisy. Fine when its stated Intel CPU's are failing, another matter when someone dares to say AMD is worse. Just like with Intels problems, can't anyone just take the facts as stated instead of trying to make out it's a stich up job.

As far as i am concerned it cuts both ways like it or not. Maybe they ARE both as bad as each other.

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte FO32U2P (32" QD-OLED) , Asus ProArt PA248QV (24")
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
Definitely agree, they shouldn't have included AMD numbers to begin with given they weren't the topic of the article and they didn't spend any time explaining them. Particularly of import given puget is using it's own set of BIOS defaults for it's systems which likely varies depending depending on the CPU / CPU family.
Being this was an article they posted on their site intended to calm their own customers (both past customers and future customers), it makes total sense they'd include that data. I work with people who buy workstations but know nothing about computers. They see headlines though and go "oh, so Intel has problems, right?" and then Puget feels they have to put an article like this out. They (correctly in my opinion) assumed one of the next questions from their customers would be "ok, well what about AMD?". There's still a lot of "AMD? I'm not sure...all my workstations have been Intel" mindshare out there in the business world. Including the data shows their customers that they track it, catch most of the AMD issues in the shop before they get shipped out, and also proves the point they're trying to make that they are managing the intel situation in a manner that keeps failures at a level consistent with other skus.

Love the hypocrisy. Fine when its stated Intel CPU's are failing, another matter when someone dares to say AMD is worse. Just like with Intels problems, can't anyone just take the facts as stated instead of trying to make out it's a stich up job.

As far as i am concerned it cuts both ways like it or not. Maybe they ARE both as bad as each other.
Again, this is not the point of Puget's article. They indicate that there is an issue with 13th/14th gen CPUs, but then try to calm their own customers (past and future) down by saying that they have a workable solution and their "unique" approach limits failures to a level comparable to other architectures. This was not trying to say to anybody "see, AMD is just as bad", especially not in a general-use or in any use outside of their own.

I agree with Darmok N Jalad's point above that this has been spun by various media and twisted into something it really wasn't supposed to be. This looks quite clear to me to be a post targeted at their own customers that is specific to the systems they ship. This data is not relevant or applicable outside of their systems and I don't see anything in their post that even suggests they tried to say otherwise.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro

It's one thing to acknowledge that Intel/AMD messed up with something, and another to point fingers at the other side saying that they're worse. Problems need to be dealt with. Pointing fingers is unnecessary and counterproductive.

It's one thing to acknowledge that Intel/AMD messed up with something, and another to point fingers at the other side saying that they're worse. Problems need to be dealt with. Pointing fingers is unnecessary and counterproductive.
well if u have nothing else to say, but u can't stay silent any longer.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Being this was an article they posted on their site intended to calm their own customers (both past customers and future customers), it makes total sense they'd include that data. I work with people who buy workstations but know nothing about computers. They see headlines though and go "oh, so Intel has problems, right?" and then Puget feels they have to put an article like this out. They (correctly in my opinion) assumed one of the next questions from their customers would be "ok, well what about AMD?". There's still a lot of "AMD? I'm not sure...all my workstations have been Intel" mindshare out there in the business world. Including the data shows their customers that they track it, catch most of the AMD issues in the shop before they get shipped out, and also proves the point they're trying to make that they are managing the intel situation in a manner that keeps failures at a level consistent with other skus.

Again, this is not the point of Puget's article. They indicate that there is an issue with 13th/14th gen CPUs, but then try to calm their own customers (past and future) down by saying that they have a workable solution and their "unique" approach limits failures to a level comparable to other architectures. This was not trying to say to anybody "see, AMD is just as bad", especially not in a general-use or in any use outside of their own.

I agree with Darmok N Jalad's point above that this has been spun by various media and twisted into something it really wasn't supposed to be. This looks quite clear to me to be a post targeted at their own customers that is specific to the systems they ship. This data is not relevant or applicable outside of their systems and I don't see anything in their post that even suggests they tried to say otherwise.
If that's the case, then it's sad that even TPU spins it into a finger-pointing contest, which is considered off-topic within the forum, but apparently fine when an article is written in such manner.

well if u have nothing else to say, but u can't stay silent any longer.
Yeah, I guess. Although, it's a third-party seller, not Intel providing the data now, and then, the media blowing it up.

Last edited: