• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fractal Design Mood

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Fractal Design Mood is a very stylish case and provides a small footprint enclosure using an upright form factor to accommodate good cooling and modern GPUs. With its unique cloth wrap and color options, the Mood is not simply another case from Fractal, but will fit seamlessly into your environment.

Show full review

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
I always worry about an open top because of the chance of spills and wonder if the mesh top resists spills. I would treat it with something that repels water.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I am not sure if I am sold on fabric wrap as a material choice for a PC case. That WILL collect dust and, unlike metal or plastic, isn’t cleaned as easily as just wiping with a wet cloth.

Last edited:
Damn that case is loud at full load.

I'd rather have a larger chassis that I cannot hide, but has no audible change between idle and gaming.

Than a small chassis I've hidden, but screams under duress.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Looks nice but it's so frickin' huge for such limited internal compatibility and that's a problem Fractal have always had which is why they're not good at SFF systems.
  • Mini ITX only,
  • SFX only,
  • CPU clearance issues that rule out almost all tower coolers, even the Silver Soul 110 doesn't actually fit!
  • GPU clearance limitations at a time when even mid-tier GPUs are both longer and wider than this now...
Those limitations are forgivable in some of the tiny sub-10L cases on the market, inexcusable in the 10-20L cases, and this >20L Fractal is just a joke. Hell, >20L isn't even classified as SFF!

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling EK Quantum Velocity C+A, EK Quantum Vector C+A, CE 280, Monsta 280, GTS 280 all w/ A14 IP67
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 3
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ A14 IP67
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Monsgeek M5W w/ Cherry MX Silent Black RGBs
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
Damn that case is loud at full load.

I'd rather have a larger chassis that I cannot hide, but has no audible change between idle and gaming.

Than a small chassis I've hidden, but screams under duress.
So um, there's something called fan curves, and um... you connect the fan to the motherboard, and control the speed through the BIOS or software. You can, and always have been able to for the last 15 years, set the fan speed to a static % or keep it running at the slowest speed possible when temps are low (idle scenario), and ramp them up to the fastest speed before you can start to hear it (full load scenario). Unfortunately, TechPowerUp tests fans in such a weird way I don't even understand how they are testing them, most case fans actually CAN be super quiet if the user manually set the fan curves. If you are using auto fan curves, seriously stop doing that, and more importantly stop judging cases based on the included fans' performance UNDER AUTO FAN CURVES.

notanin

I really like how it looks but the noise, the fact that fabric will become dirty and limited GPU support kinda puts me off

> If you are using auto fan curves, seriously stop doing that, and more importantly stop judging cases based on the included fans' performance UNDER AUTO FAN CURVES
Right, it could be silent if you remove all fans altogether, dead silent.

So um, there's something called fan curves, and um... you connect the fan to the motherboard, and control the speed through the BIOS or software. You can, and always have been able to for the last 15 years, set the fan speed to a static % or keep it running at the slowest speed possible when temps are low (idle scenario), and ramp them up to the fastest speed before you can start to hear it (full load scenario). Unfortunately, TechPowerUp tests fans in such a weird way I don't even understand how they are testing them, most case fans actually CAN be super quiet if the user manually set the fan curves. If you are using auto fan curves, seriously stop doing that, and more importantly stop judging cases based on the included fans' performance UNDER AUTO FAN CURVES.
Exactly.

I'd rather my larger chassis where I set all fan speeds to slow and (almost) static, so there is no acoustic change, and also no thermal issues because of the space and airflow from 5 chassis fans.

Compared to this design with a single exhaust fan, which is (probably) incapable of holding a static speed at the same noise level (or anything close) to a full chassis without creating thermal issues.

My user preference is NO curve. Gaming is just as 'loud' as a browser.

Reactions: N/A
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB, 2670MHz, 0.93V
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data), ASUS BW-16D1HT (BluRay)
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Combine the fabric case with the original 12VHPWR cables for added pyrotechnic fun!

Just buy a compact MATX put it under the desk like normal and it more or less is hidden. More usable desk space + better choice of motherboards + lower price premium + fans are further away from the ears = lower perceived noise for the same fan curves are exactly why after doing one Mini-ITX build, I just went back to MATX under the desk. A lot of oversized ITX on the desk trying to "save space" by taking up desk space and claiming to be "small" whilst being designed for 2ft long GPU's + radiators are "solution looking for a problem" absurdities...

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
You'd think that with that height, they could have just raised it a bit more to include a bottom 180mm and a dust filter, close to the floor and below the cable exit, to improve thermals.
I wager the dual 140mm would help, but being a bit ineffective without ducting. Only if the idea is to turn the chamber pressure-positive.
I am not sure if I am sold on fabric wrap as a material choice for a PC case. That WILL collect dust and, unlike metal or plastic, isn’t cleaned as easily as just wiping with a wet cloth.

The manual recommends using a lint rolling to clean the front. Never seen a lint roller used on a PC before.
That is how one would already clean the fabric covers on speakers. Same same.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Just buy a compact MATX put it under the desk like normal and it more or less is hidden. More usable desk space + better choice of motherboards + lower price premium + fans are further away from the ears = lower perceived noise for the same fan curves are exactly why after doing one Mini-ITX build, I just went back to MATX under the desk. A lot of oversized ITX on the desk trying to "save space" by taking up desk space and claiming to be "small" whilst being designed for 2ft long GPU's + radiators are "solution looking for a problem" absurdities...
Yup.

For most people, desk space is premium real estate and floor isn't. The only reasons most people have to build an SFF is so that they can travel with it occasionally, or because they want a rainbow light show next to their monitor on their desk, but don't have enough desk space to achieve that with a regular sized case.

This Fractal Mood satisfies neither of those demographics, and it's restrictive, and it's loud.

Bought my daughter a Fractal Pop Air Mini to upgrade the janky case she had. I was shocked at how quiet it was with the preinstalled fans, a Phantom Spirit 120, and a RTX 3080, even under full load. My PC is much louder and my case, NZXT, is much larger.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Bought my daughter a Fractal Pop Air Mini to upgrade the janky case she had. I was shocked at how quiet it was with the preinstalled fans, a Phantom Spirit 120, and a RTX 3080, even under full load. My PC is much louder and my case, NZXT, is much larger.
Pop Air Mini is a pretty decent mATX case in terms of price/cooling/noise levels.

Like most Fractal stuff, it's still worryingly large for what it is though. Why is a MicroATX case 432mm long front to back if it doesn't have side-mounted radiators, front-mounted PSU to save on height, or front drive bays? Nobody is trying to squeeze a 390mm GPU onto mATX because those GPUs are the >$1000 flagship GPUs and mATX boards squarely serve the low end of the market. Try buying a high-end mATX board in 2024 and you'll probably come up empty.

This case (just finished a build in one this week) is smaller in every dimension and it's a full-sized ATX case that has the same pitiful four-drives support that the Pop Air Mini has:
1723048776593.png
1723048814799.png

I'm not saying the Pop Air Mini is bad, it's just typical Fractal Design in that it's much bigger than it needs to be, and doesn't that defeat the whole point of Micro ATX?!

I just can't believe that the noise level is 54.2 decibels under load (almost as loud as an average refrigerator at 55). INSANITY.
For comparison my dishwasher is rated for 33 decibels...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
That's a nice dishwasher :toast:
I replaced my old Bosch dishwasher a year ago and the new Hotpoint one has made me realise how whisper-quiet the Bosch one was :(

Getting back on topic, I don't really understand why this Fractal Mood is so loud under load. @Darksaber, was it the AIO fans (being suffocated by the fabric side panel) making all the noise, or was it the 180mm top fan that's just loud? I can't really see why this case would be so loud based on the design - all the components seem to have plenty of room to breathe and it's far less cramped than quieter cases, so either that top fan is just loud and ineffective (since system and CPU temps are so high) or the choice of fabric panels really is the downfall of this case.

I replaced my old Bosch dishwasher a year ago and the new Hotpoint one has made me realise how whisper-quiet the Bosch one was :(

Getting back on topic, I don't really understand why this Fractal Mood is so loud under load. @Darksaber, was it the AIO fans (being suffocated by the fabric side panel) making all the noise, or was it the 180mm top fan that's just loud? I can't really see why this case would be so loud based on the design - all the components seem to have plenty of room to breathe and it's far less cramped than quieter cases, so either that top fan is just loud and ineffective (since system and CPU temps are so high) or the choice of fabric panels really is the downfall of this case.
GN found that the shell produces undesirable resonant sounds and is very restrictive to airflow