• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Survey July 2024 Update: Windows 10 Usage Records Uptick, Windows 11 Drops

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
I am still workin on getting Windows Server 2022 to be a gaming box. Because I love that server 2022 you can uninstall completely Windows Defender it saves over 1 GB of ram
I wouldn't bother. It's wasn't ready for prime time back in 2022 and I'll bet it's the same today.
Stuck to Server 2012 for as long as possible before adopting Win10 because I needed similar levels of control.
That's what it took to extend the life of my Phenom II X4 system.
The way the OS treated memory was different enough that I preferred the old way.
Also that was part of the 2009-2017 time period when I was still maxed at 4GB.
Things sure went 0-200 in a hurry. 2017: 8GB. 2019: 16GB DDR3/32GB DDR4. 2020: 64GB.
What did we learn? The size and speed matters. My next system will probably use 128GB UDIMMs.
Screw this Steam survey. It's not accurate at all.
Lol the same survey that says everyone is on the 3060 while you have to SCROLL just to find a crumb of RX 580 appear. That's hilarious.
The Steam hardware survey is completed nerfed by Chinese data.
The net cafes all throughout Asia are most likely driving up the figures on this and that appearing out of left field.
What's Edge used for then if I don't use it?
WEBM/WEBP previews in Explorer and other oddities seem tied to it somehow. I still haven't fully looked into it but it's another Internet Explorer situation. There's kind of a lot to cover. Take a look at program defaults.

I haven't been able to adopt Win11 for personal or professional use. Everything about it is either such a massive resource hog or the design so insufferable that I'd rather just stay out of it. I jumped back and forth between Server 2016/2019/2022 all throughout the Win10 timeline while trying to commit to some adoption of Win10. Only 2016 stood out as ready for prime time but the design is so old now that in a creator situations it fights some apps, can't integrate containers or psuedo-VMs of any kind and the service gotchas are annoying. I fully trust it for production though. Runs great on the 1c/1t eMachines in Core and Nanoserver versions. If I went back to cloud development I would be remastering a copy of Nanoserver for my FX rack to be full power 24/7 duty. 2022 has way too many teething issues to be fully adopted and not suitable for creation. I'll stick to Win10 for general purpose stuff until something serious pushes it out. With any luck that won't be until 2030 at the earliest. Some newer hardware driver models appear to be supporting Win11 only so that might be the first thing to break rank. I'm expecting it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
It would be nice if Valve would finally fix the Steam survey. Make it poll every user every month, so we can get clear true data. It's not like it will cost them any more money, considering they have the system details of every user logged into Steam. Then make it opt in, with a percentage at the top to show how many users opted into the poll.
Spyware or not, what about your government & ISPs?
end to end encryption is a thing. Doesnt help you when the OS is the one doing the spying.

You use ISP email?
Hell naw. Who on earth still uses an ISP email address? I'm guessing the same people who still use AOL.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I know for a fact the Win 11 start menu works better for some people, but unfortunately the "search for what you want" paradigm feels slow, inefficient and stupid to me.
That's because it is slow, inefficient, and stupid.

Windows is a GUI. A GRAPHICAL User Interface. We moved beyond text entry in the early '90s but for whatever dumb reason Microsoft wants us to type the name of the program which may or may not give you a shortcut that can launch the program.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Caught me lol, that's an ancient hotmail account, which I still exclusively access through a browser.

What's Edge used for then if I don't use it?
I suspect New Oulook needs it, Teams, as well as the Store. Anything that uses WebView2 is using Edge. You can see them when you expand out processes in task manager.

That's because it is slow, inefficient, and stupid.

Windows is a GUI. A GRAPHICAL User Interface. We moved beyond text entry in the early '90s but for whatever dumb reason Microsoft wants us to type the name of the program which may or may not give you a shortcut that can launch the program.
On my work machine, I’ll search for an excel document, and when the hit is right, I’ll hit enter, only to sometimes be greeted with “This action couldn’t be performed because Office doesn’t recognize the command it was given.” W11 is just a buggy mess, IMO. The most inconsistent OS experience to date.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Personally, I'm not on Windows 11 because it's a massive spyware. The things mentioned in the article have nothing to do with it.
It's as bad as Windows 10 in that department.

Hell naw. Who on earth still uses an ISP email address?
I do. Mine has free IMAP. That's honestly all I need. Keeps ads away.

If windows 7 wasn't a security concern, I'd agree with you.

For the basic tasks of adjusting your hardware settings, launching software, and finding/browsing drives - Windows 7 was a superior solution to 10 and 11. The improvements to Explorer's functionality in particular have come poisoned by the unwanted injection of web-searching, data-harvesting, AI suggestions, and advertising - which will cause poor explorer performance and even timeouts if those unnecessary web-requests and respective web-served bloat aren't working or their servers are overloaded.

I've been daily-driving W11 since it released and it's still inferior to W7 in so many ways despite me neutering as much of the BS as possible. Since I build and deploy machines I'm frequently exposed to Microsoft's idea of what W11 should be - ie, the out-of-the-box experience and it's terrifying in so many ways.
There are several work around's Win 7 security issues.

One of them is keep it off line. Hehehe.

Another is using Linux/Gnomebox and go virtual. I just might do this when I build my next rig and have this one as my Linux Box.

But I do understand where you are coming from and when have the time I'll work on which way to do this.

BUT W11 Sucks... I tried it... hated it and wiped it off my testing SSD.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Windows is an operating system. And searching for an application through a GUI is hardly a CLI.
Windows 11's start may be broken (I'll talk y'all word for it), but hitting super followed by first two or three letters of your application then enter was an effective and efficient method since at least Vista/7.

I'm all for keeping established interfaces as an option, but let's not be ridiculous here; my queries trump your icons any day (and this last part is [partially] sarcastic)! :nutkick:

I remember when people wanted to stay on DOS. And when people didn't want to move from Windows 98 to XP. :)

Windows 12 or whatever it will be called must be right around the corner.

I think the worst major release was probably Vista. It and Win7 were so slow until SSDs became popular. Vista was especially terrible though because of how unstable drivers for it were and the hardware just not being fast enough to brute force it to be speedy.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's as bad as Windows 10 in that department.
To be fair, I've got an external SSD formatted and ready for Linux to be installed for some experimenting with Proton and Steam. Who knows, if it ends up working well, I might be ditching Windows for good.

I remember when people wanted to stay on DOS. And when people didn't want to move from Windows 98 to XP. :)

Windows 12 or whatever it will be called must be right around the corner.

I think the worst major release was probably Vista. It and Win7 were so slow until SSDs became popular. Vista was especially terrible though because of how unstable drivers for it were and the hardware just not being fast enough to brute force it to be speedy.
Nah. Windows 8 was far, far worse than Vista. Vista was slow because of its ridiculous hardware requirement, but 8 was completely unusable because of its horrible UI.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
To be fair, I've got an external SSD formatted and ready for Linux to be installed for some experimenting with Proton and Steam. Who knows, if it ends up working well, I might be ditching Windows for good.

Nah. Windows 8 was far, far worse than Vista. Vista was slow because of its ridiculous hardware requirement, but 8 was completely unusable because of its horrible UI.
8 got better with the 8.1 update, but simply using Start8 brought the best of both worlds.

I recommend Manjaro for your trial run. Being based on Arch, it’s what SteamOS is based on so the support is best. There are games I’ve tried on Ubuntu that won’t work right with Proton, but work just fine in Manjaro. It’s been good enough that I wiped my W11 drive, which I hadn’t even booted to in a few months.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
8 got better with the 8.1 update, but simply using Start8 brought the best of both worlds.
If I need a third-party tool to use an OS properly, then it's not a good OS. Simple.

I recommend Manjaro for your trial run. Being based on Arch, it’s what SteamOS is based on so the support is best. There are games I’ve tried on Ubuntu that won’t work right with Proton, but work just fine in Manjaro. It’s been good enough that I wiped my W11 drive, which I hadn’t even booted to in a few months.
Thanks. :) What about Mint? That's the one I've got on a USB stick right now as I've used it in the past, albeit not for gaming.

Microsoft Design Language. I know at least two people who used Windows Phones and my eyes bled every time I saw them. :wtf:
Then came Win 11 and MS decided to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and now they just copy Apple's UI design. I'd love it if they also copied Apple's software policy and stopped bundling garbage in the base OS.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Let's be honest, if I didn't have to upgrade for modern CPU and DirectX support, I'd probably still use Windows 98 or XP.
I remember having to go to Vista for DX10, ergh.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
If I need a third-party tool to use an OS properly, then it's not a good OS. Simple.

Thanks. :) What about Mint? That's the one I've got on a USB stick right now as I've used it in the past, albeit not for gaming.
Mint is Ubuntu-based, so it might have some of the same struggles I ran into. I had more than one game not want to run in Ubuntu 24.04. Arch-based required nothing but enabling Compatibility in Steam, which is just a toggle.