• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Viper V3 Pro

pzogel

Reviewer
Aside from the bringing the shape of the Viper V3 Hyperspeed to the Pro series, the 54 g Viper V3 Pro also debuts Razer's latest Focus Pro 35K Gen-2 sensor, and includes the 8K wireless dongle by default. The main buttons are still outfitted with Razer's Optical Switches Gen-3, and up to 95 hours of battery life are cited.

Show full review

Processor 7800x3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer III 420
Memory 32GB 6000 CL28 DDR5
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 Pro 4tb
Display(s) Dell AW2725DF QD-OLED 360hz
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 PRO+
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse G-Wolves HSK pro 4k
Keyboard Wooting 80HE
Software 10 x64
I'm sorry but we are at a point where I think with those prices and a lot of brands having all their mice with 0% sensor deviation, a 4% is not a good result, much less for a mouse of this price and brand.

4% deviation means that a 30cm flick for a 180º is now 28.8cm, someone could say that is just 1.2cm, but that 1.2 compared to a flawless mouse is a lot and can mess your aim for weeks on fast games like quake champions, apex or so.

0% deviation should be the only expected result, and razer have mice with 0%, so at least for me on their 160€ flagship having a 4% is not acceptable.

pzogel

Reviewer
I'm sorry but we are at a point where I think with those prices and a lot of brands having all their mice with 0% sensor deviation, a 4% is not a good result, much less for a mouse of this price and brand.

4% deviation means that a 30cm flick for a 180º is now 28.8cm, someone could say that is just 1.2cm, but that 1.2 compared to a flawless mouse is a lot and can mess your aim for weeks on fast games like quake champions, apex or so.

0% deviation should be the only expected result.
For clarification, deviation only means that when setting the mouse to 400 CPI, a mouse with +10% deviation will actually be set to 440 CPI. It is not to be confused with speed-related accuracy variance (or acceleration), where the cursor indeed does not end up where it should.

To give an example, on a mouse with very low SRAV (such as the Viper V3 Pro), a sensitivity of 2 at 400 CPI and a sensitivity of 1.82 at 440 CPI will both result in a 52 cm/360 turn circumference in CS 2, so when doing a 30 cm flick, they'll end up in the exact same position. CPI deviation merely requires some adjustment (either of sensitivity or CPI itself) when switching from a different mouse.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@pzogel
Since this came up - a question. Well, two.
1. How likely is CPI deviation to vary sample to sample?
2. Is CPI deviation surface dependent? I don’t remember if you mentioned it, but is there a pad you are consistently using for testing or is that irrelevant?

pzogel

Reviewer
@pzogel
Since this came up - a question. Well, two.
1. How likely is CPI deviation to vary sample to sample?
2. Is CPI deviation surface dependent? I don’t remember if you mentioned it, but is there a pad you are consistently using for testing or is that irrelevant?
1. There will be some minor variance (1-2%) depending on manufacturing tolerances.
2. Absolutely, both between types of surface (cloth, glass, plastic, etc.) and different models of the same surface. I'm using a generic black cloth pad to be as representative as possible, but non-cloth surfaces in particular will behave differently.

System Name Prometheus
Processor Intel i7 14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B760-I
Cooling Noctua NH-D12L
Memory Corsair 32GB DDR5-7200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K
Case SSUPD Meshroom D Fossil Gray
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Razer Orochi V2
Keyboard Nuphy Air75 V2 White
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
@pzogel - I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, as the mice in question are somewhat similar, but the comparison shots use the Razer Viper V3, not the Razer Viper V3 Pro.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
In my experience it is, though to some extent (certainly with Logitech) I've found that the software calibration for mouse surfaces offsets this somewhat.

I prefer to use microfibre cloth mats for that little added friction but tend not to pack one for events where I'm travelling light. My sensitivity feels lower on hard surfaces than it does on cloth mats, not by much, but at 800cpi I'm changing my sensitivity from 8.3 to 9 to get it to feel right on 180 flicks again. I'm old and slow now but I was nailing headshots at the end of a 180 degree flick 28 years ago and I'm kept my cm/360 as close to consistent for muscle memory as possible during all those years and all those mice.

The fact that I can feel something's off by only 8% and I wouldn't call myself anything resembling a pro means that a mouse with a CPI deviation of even 5% is likely unacceptable for something labelled "pro" and especially at this price point.

Processor 7800x3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer III 420
Memory 32GB 6000 CL28 DDR5
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 Pro 4tb
Display(s) Dell AW2725DF QD-OLED 360hz
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 PRO+
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse G-Wolves HSK pro 4k
Keyboard Wooting 80HE
Software 10 x64
For clarification, deviation only means that when setting the mouse to 400 CPI, a mouse with +10% deviation will actually be set to 440 CPI. It is not to be confused with speed-related accuracy variance (or acceleration), where the cursor indeed does not end up where it should.

To give an example, on a mouse with very low SRAV (such as the Viper V3 Pro), a sensitivity of 2 at 400 CPI and a sensitivity of 1.82 at 440 CPI will both result in a 52 cm/360 turn circumference in CS 2, so when doing a 30 cm flick, they'll end up in the exact same position. CPI deviation merely requires some adjustment (either of sensitivity or CPI itself) when switching from a different mouse.
Yes, but we can know that because of your review, but what about a new firmware? will maybe change it? what about people not reading your review? they will end with a changed sensitivity, and at least me, I can tell a 5% deviation will feel odd. For example, I tried the razer cobra and it was awful with the sens, I ended returning it to amazon way before I could see why on your review.

and also, I do not think you should be adjusting your sensitivity in every game because the sensor changes between one mouse or another

There are people (few, but there are) with multiple mice on the desktop or setup for laptop/desktop. I for example have 3, a naga v2 pro, an hsk pro, and a logitech vertical mice, and I don't think it's acceptable to expect from me to mess sensitivity from every game and lose my time calculating it if I use one or the other, much less in a mice of that price

That's why I think we are at a point where a sensor deviation, even a 1% is not a good result. If perfect results can be achieved by dozens of mice on the market, then there's no reason of why a flagship of 160€ cannot and see it as a good result. For me it isn't in the slightest.

But I guess is just a matter of wording,

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Ludicrous what one has to pay for peripherals these days.

I am still waiting for the Razer 2012 Mamba reboot, love the DPi button position on that mouse and the feel is perfect for my hand size, just needs to be lighter.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
There are people (few, but there are) with multiple mice on the desktop or setup for laptop/desktop. I for example have 3, a naga v2 pro, an hsk pro, and a logitech vertical mice, and I don't think it's acceptable to expect from me to mess sensitivity from every game and lose my time calculating it if I use one or the other, much less in a mice of that price

That's why I think we are at a point where a sensor deviation, even a 1% is not a good result. If perfect results can be achieved by dozens of mice on the market, then there's no reason of why a flagship of 160€ cannot
This, I agree with - I use three different systems for gaming with a Razer Basilisk V3 Pro, a Roccat Burst Core, and a Zowie S2. Very different mice but I want 800cpi to be 800cpi because my game configs are saved in the cloud and cross-system, so the sensitivity shouldn't be changed per-game.

There's another reason it matters, especially for these expensive mice with a "Pro" label and sticker price: eSports tournaments these days often provide the mice - I believe the reason is because at the highest tiers with the most to play for, cheaters were discovered cheating (aim-assist and wallhack-to-headset audio cues) by having the hack payload delivered by their mouse USB connector.

If a pro-level gamer is competing in a tournament with a $25million prize pool, they're not going to want a mouse that's 10% out on their accuracy!

Processor Intel Core i5 12400F Alder Lake Hex-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHz
Motherboard Asrock B760M Pro RS/D4
Cooling Thermalright Assassin 120X Refined SE
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Team Group T-Force Delta RGB
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060-DUAL-O6G EVO (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Display(s) Asus VG278Q TN Full HD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply CoolerMaster MWE Bronze v2 450W
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Pro | Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect
Software W11 24H2
Yep, as expected with the DPI deviation - took me a while to adjust to the new sensor.
Can't wait for the DA v3 Hyperspeed review, btw!