• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[INTEL]-How To Update Your Microcode for Intel HX 13/14th Gen. CPUs Laptops/Mobile Easily.

System Name Asus TUF Gaming FA506IU Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
Motherboard AMD K17.6 FCH, AMD K17.6 IMC
Cooling Dual Fans Design with Self-Cleaning Cooling
Memory Samsung DRR4 - 3200Mhz 16GB(8GBx2)
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (6 GB)
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-256G-1002 + SHGP31-500GM-2 + ST1000LM035-1RK172
Display(s) LM156LF-2F03 144HZ Adaptive SYNC
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC256 @ AMD K17.6
Power Supply ASUS Power Brick 180W
Mouse ROG SICA Gaming Mouse
Benchmark Scores CineBench R23 Single core:- 1290 points CineBench R23 Multi core:- 11111 points
Let me start with a small background info...

Since we know all Intel's fiasco about what is happening with Raptor Lake/Raptor Lake Refresh which is Intel's codename for the 13th and 14th generations of Intel Core processors, Most OEM/Vendors doesn't want to provide BIOS update that includes microcode update along with required updated Intel ME FW in order to work more effectively.

Since most laptops got outdated Intel ME FW & outdated microcode... this has become a serious problem since the CPUID of Intel HX 13/14th CPUs share the same code with Desktop variants and hence it should be considered Intel HX 13/14th CPUs as a Desktop CPU in a laptop case.

So it means they share the same impact as Desktop variants even if it doesn't boost enough to be of a concern, it does have relevancy and you now have the option to use this very simple driver that I am sharing it to you here on any Intel HX 13/14th CPUs Laptops/Mobile as long as it has CPUID of B0671.

Either way the requirement of updated Intel ME FW are just only mandatory when used in conjunction with any new microcode (If it's needed) in the BIOS but outside BIOS like... while running Windows or Linux this requirement of having an updated Intel ME FW is just optional.

Thanks to this VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver I can use it on any windows without needing to mess with the BIOS. Safest thing to update microcode.

Now... How to check if you got the latest microcode update or not? By simply check through HWINO64 or AIDA64 or even if you are using ThrottleStop tool will tell you which microcode you are using.

Here's some examples how it is shown which microcode are you using through various tools...

HWINFO64
1723151457317.jpeg

AIDA64
1723151469235.jpeg

ThrottleStop
1723151478234.jpeg

Now fortunately I already packed it for you & ready to use without any further work required. Saving you the time to do it.

For the next part... You need to download this .zip file and extract it. Simply run the "Install.bat" file as an administrator.
The .zip file attached on this post look at the end of this post.

It shouldn't even take long and only few seconds and you will see this window... which is success.
1723151495615.jpeg

You can even check the event viewer which confirms the success operation and applying the new microcode update.
1723151504545.jpeg

No need to reboot, You just updated your microcode! Yes... it's that simple!

Notice:- If doesn't update your microcode and it shows failing to apply microcode on event viewers... you need to disable virtualization either through Windows or simply go inside your BIOS and disable Intel virtualization and VT-d in the BIOS. This would allow the driver work! [Thanks to @WLF for the solution!]

If you ever wanted to uninstall your updated microcode for whatever reasons... simply run "uninstall.bat" file as an administrator & reboot your laptop.

For users who doesn't trust the zip file... here's VirusTotal link results.

cpumcupdate64

Attachments

• cpumcupdate64.zip
    772.8 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:

WLF

Thank you so much - I was looking for this and really hoping this makes my laptop futureproof now! Where do you find these microcode updates out of curiosity in case there are more in the future?

Benchmark Scores CineBench R23 Single core:- 1290 points CineBench R23 Multi core:- 11111 points
Thank you so much - I was looking for this and really hoping this makes my laptop futureproof now! Where do you find these microcode updates out of curiosity in case there are more in the future?
I watch and get them from here Intel, AMD, VIA & Freescale CPU Microcode Repositories Discussion
And also they get updated from this Github repo. CPUMicrocodes from platomav

You simply need to convert .bin files to .dat files so that it works with VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver. You can get it from this Github repo here

It needs to be renamed to microcode.dat in order for VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver to see it and use it.

Don't worry, I will keep this updated for future microcode as new microcode gets released for CPUID of B0671. This update can also be used for Desktop CPUs users but they got there OEM/Vendors covered for that :)

Laptop users get ignored unfortunately.

hyokka21

Hi! Thank you very much! However, unfortunately, nothing happens after running the .bat file, even when I run it as an administrator. In the Event Viewer, I see two errors:

1. The VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported.
2. The description for Event ID 26 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. T
he following information was included with the event: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cpumcupdate64.sys failed to load The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Do you happen to know how you might be able to help me with this situation? Thank you!

I'm attaching some screenshots, maybe this can also help.

1723256310559.png

1723256350361.png
1723256357616.png

Hi! Thank you very much! However, unfortunately, nothing happens after running the .bat file, even when I run it as an administrator. In the Event Viewer, I see two errors:

1. The VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported.
2. The description for Event ID 26 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. T
he following information was included with the event: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cpumcupdate64.sys failed to load The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Do you happen to know how you might be able to help me with this situation? Thank you!
Hey! I believe the Memory Integrity setting in Windows Security is preventing the driver from loading on your device, try it with Memory Integrity disabled. Since the driver is too old to be compatible with it. As long as it has CPUID of B0671. It should work.

hyokka21

Hey! I believe the Memory Integrity setting in Windows Security is preventing the driver from loading on your device, try it with Memory Integrity disabled. Since the driver is too old to be compatible with it. As long as it has CPUID of B0671. It should work.
Unfortunately, I still have the same problem. :( I remember during the first attempt, I saw some error messages as pop-up notifications. Maybe that information could help, I'm not sure.,

upd: And now, after some time of trial and error, there's nothing in the Event Viewer related to this process at all—no errors or information about the update.

updx2: Now error has appeared (event viewer): Failed to update microcode on one or more CPUs. Every time I run install.bat, it shows that the installation completed with code: 0. However, nothing appears in the Event Viewer—no errors, no successful completion messages. After restarting, I can run install.bat again, and the error "Failed to update microcode on one or more CPUs" reappears.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I still have the same problem. :( I remember during the first attempt, I saw some error messages as pop-up notifications. Maybe that information could help, I'm not sure.,

upd: And now, after some time of trial and error, there's nothing in the Event Viewer related to this process at all—no errors or information about the update.

updx2: Now error has appeared (event viewer): Failed to update microcode on one or more CPUs. Every time I run install.bat, it shows that the installation completed with code: 0. However, nothing appears in the Event Viewer—no errors, no successful completion messages. After restarting, I can run install.bat again, and the error "Failed to update microcode on one or more CPUs" reappears.
Oh then there might be some virtualization setting that causes this. I have received reports the same problem as you are.

I believe there is other options related to virtualization that needs to be disabled but I don't know which option needs to be disabled.

I will try & look inside the driver and see if it need some modifications... if it does... I would need to re-sign the driver with my own certificate file.

I will get back to you when I found a way to fix this. Sorry for wasting your time. You can uninstall it if you want since it won't do anything in your device.

What causes the confusion to me is others are reporting success. I am trying to warp my head around this.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I used the VMware driver to load any revision at will with Haswell-E Xeons. It's great to see that it is still useful. The one thing to note is that you can only load a microcode revision newer than the one previously loaded.

Oh then there might be some virtualization setting that causes this. I have received reports the same problem as you are.

I believe there is other options related to virtualization that needs to be disabled but I don't know which option needs to be disabled.

I will try & look inside the driver and see if it need some modifications... if it does... I would need to re-sign the driver with my own certificate file.

I will get back to you when I found a way to fix this. Sorry for wasting your time. You can uninstall it if you want since it won't do anything in your device.

What causes the confusion to me is others are reporting success. I am trying to warp my head around this.

Try renaming mcupdate_genuineintel.dll from your system32 folder to something else like mcupdate_genuineintel.bak. requires taking ownership of the file first. This way, Windows will not load its own microcode driver, avoiding any conflicts. Just make a system restore point before you try, should be good.

hyokka21

Thank you! I'll be waiting for an answer! Hope the solution will be found :)

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Let me start with a small background info...

Since we know all Intel's fiasco about what is happening with Raptor Lake/Raptor Lake Refresh which is Intel's codename for the 13th and 14th generations of Intel Core processors, Most OEM/Vendors doesn't want to provide BIOS update that includes microcode update along with required updated Intel ME FW in order to work more effectively.

Since most laptops got outdated Intel ME FW & outdated microcode... this has become a serious problem since the CPUID of Intel HX 13/14th CPUs share the same code with Desktop variants and hence it should be considered Intel HX 13/14th CPUs as a Desktop CPU in a laptop case.

So it means they share the same impact as Desktop variants even if it doesn't boost enough to be of a concern, it does have relevancy and you now have the option to use this very simple driver that I am sharing it to you here on any Intel HX 13/14th CPUs Laptops/Mobile as long as it has CPUID of B0671.

Either way the requirement of updated Intel ME FW are just only mandatory when used in conjunction with any new microcode (If it's needed) in the BIOS but outside BIOS like... while running Windows or Linux this requirement of having an updated Intel ME FW is just optional.

Thanks to this VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver I can use it on any windows without needing to mess with the BIOS. Safest thing to update microcode.

Now... How to check if you got the latest microcode update or not? By simply check through HWINO64 or AIDA64 or even if you are using ThrottleStop tool will tell you which microcode you are using.

Here's some examples how it is shown which microcode are you using through various tools...

HWINFO64
View attachment 358047

AIDA64
View attachment 358048

ThrottleStop
View attachment 358049

Now fortunately I already packed it for you & ready to use without any further work required. Saving you the time to do it.

For the next part... You need to download this .zip file and extract it. Simply run the "Install.bat" file as an administrator.
The .zip file attached on this post look at the end of this post.

It shouldn't even take long and only few seconds and you will see this window... which is success.
View attachment 358050

You can even check the event viewer which confirms the success operation and applying the new microcode update.
View attachment 358051

No need to reboot, You just updated your microcode! Yes... it's that simple!

If you ever wanted to uninstall your updated microcode for whatever reasons... simply run "uninstall.bat" file as an administrator & reboot your laptop.
this is better in case a bios update gets rid of uv and other thermal management options.

WLF

I turned off Intel virtualization and VT-d in the BIOS, try doing that and I think that might solve your issue.

hyokka21

I turned off Intel virtualization and VT-d in the BIOS, try doing that and I think that might solve your issue.
yes bro! It helped me too! Thank you so much!

btw I turned off VTX and VT-d as well. Should I turn them on again?

1723399580008.png

System Name ASUS ROG Strix Scar GL703GS
Processor i7-8750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 8GB (Max-P)
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Display(s) 1920x1080 G-Sync
Software Windows 11
Last edited:
Thank you for this solution ! :toast:I have been banging my head to the wall for days :banghead: trying to find solution for a couple of users reporting that the microcode doesn't work for them.

Thank you again! :respect:

yes bro! It helped me too! Thank you so much!

btw I turned off VTX and VT-d as well. Should I turn them on again?

View attachment 358493
If you turned them on again , it will fail to load the new microcode on start-up and you will get back to your original microcode that came with your BIOS or Windows.

I watch and get them from here Intel, AMD, VIA & Freescale CPU Microcode Repositories Discussion
And also they get updated from this Github repo. CPUMicrocodes from platomav

You simply need to convert .bin files to .dat files so that it works with VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver. You can get it from this Github repo here

It needs to be renamed to microcode.dat in order for VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver to see it and use it.

Don't worry, I will keep this updated for future microcode as new microcode gets released for CPUID of B0671. This update can also be used for Desktop CPUs users but they got there OEM/Vendors covered for that :)

Laptop users get ignored unfortunately.
Hello, how to convert bin to dat microcode file?
Also, for example, alder lake H microcode is different from alder lake HX models, right?
Thank you

System Name ASUS ROG Strix Scar GL703GS
Processor i7-8750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 8GB (Max-P)
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Display(s) 1920x1080 G-Sync
Software Windows 11
I've used the bin2dat in the folder provided by Theboss to convert the latest 02.2024 alder lake P 96a3 12500h microcode to Dat.
Then I've installed used the tool provided.
I'll test and report back. Thank you!

byrcol

Thank you for this solution ! :toast:I have been banging my head to the wall for days :banghead: trying to find solution for a couple of users reporting that the microcode doesn't work for them.

Thank you again! :respect:

If you turned them on again , it will fail to load the new microcode on start-up and you will get back to your original microcode that came with your BIOS or Windows.
Hello, just want to confirm something please! - Am I understanding you correctly in saying that by undervolting via the BIOS, you can never re-enable virtualisation for your machine as it will undo the microcode change which will put your CPU in jeopardy?
My use-case for virtualisation is docker and without it my machine is close to a paper weight. Thanks in advance and apologies if it's a silly question.

WLF

Hello, just want to confirm something please! - Am I understanding you correctly in saying that by undervolting via the BIOS, you can never re-enable virtualisation for your machine as it will undo the microcode change which will put your CPU in jeopardy?
My use-case for virtualisation is docker and without it my machine is close to a paper weight. Thanks in advance and apologies if it's a silly question.
From my understanding it will prevent the microcode driver (which switches to 0x129 on startup) from working, meaning the microcode stored in the BIOS (which is outdated) will be loaded. So yes, you're right. If you need virtualization, you'll need to wait for a BIOS update to be able to use the new microcode.

r3dux

Hi @THEBOSS619,

Thank you for your contribution.

Would it be possible to make such a Windows package with latest MCU 0x4121 for Raptor Lake H (13900H B06A2) or newer MCU if available?
Raptor lake H owner also live in fear that intel is hiding even more problems. For 13900H we are having problems with 2x 48GB 5600MT(running @5200MT).
Thanks in advance at least for reading my post and maybe looking into the subject.

I am using popular device like minisforum ms 01 however our latest bioses are only on earlier MCU 0x410C
Linking what I have on other forum (if external linking is severly punished here I am asking moderation team in advance for forgiveness)

Hi @THEBOSS619,

Thank you for your contribution.

Would it be possible to make such a Windows package with latest MCU 0x4121 for Raptor Lake H (13900H B06A2) or newer MCU if available?
Raptor lake H owner also live in fear that intel is hiding even more problems. For 13900H we are having problems with 2x 48GB 5600MT(running @5200MT).
Thanks in advance at least for reading my post and maybe looking into the subject.

I am using popular device like minisforum ms 01 however our latest bioses are only on earlier MCU 0x410C
Linking what I have on other forum (if external linking is severly punished here I am asking moderation team in advance for forgiveness)
I can't blame you for fearing due to Intel suboptimal actions... I lost all the trust on Intel... I'm already on Intel forums trying to get a proper answer related to Intel HX CPUs... & already emailed them but they are very slow... 1 response every week... it's been 4 weeks now.... :wtf:

ah well... I'm gonna stop ranting :)

I have searched and found the latest MCU at 0x4122 would that be ok for you? :) Here I have uploaded the file that made specifically for CPUID of B06A2.

File are from the attachment of this comment... follow the same steps as on the Main post. It should work for you ;)

Attachments

• cpumcupdate64[13900H B06A2]-0x4122.zip
    662.8 KB · Views: 50

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
time limit unlocked

I edited the main post to include VirusTotal link results. Here...

cpumcupdate64

Just to prevent users from getting suspicious :)

r3dux

I can't blame you for fearing due to Intel suboptimal actions... I lost all the trust on Intel... I'm already on Intel forums trying to get a proper answer related to Intel HX CPUs... & already emailed them but they are very slow... 1 response every week... it's been 4 weeks now.... :wtf:

ah well... I'm gonna stop ranting :)

I have searched and found the latest MCU at 0x4122 would that be ok for you? :) Here I have uploaded the file that made specifically for CPUID of B06A2.

File are from the attachment of this comment... follow the same steps as on the Main post. It should work for you ;)
Thank you!
cpumcupdate64[13900H B06A2]-0x4122 works as advertised :)