• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop dGPU stuck at 210Mhz and 752w power draw

dnicoara3

Hello!

I purchased an ASUS laptop, specifically the G733QS, about two years ago, and I've encountered a fairly common issue that seems to have few solutions. The dGPU clock frequency is stuck at 210MHz, regardless of the load, which negatively impacts gaming performance. Additionally, the power draw reaches 752W, which is impossible. The laptop doesn't overheat, and otherwise, it functions within normal parameters.

I took it to an authorized ASUS service center for diagnosis and possible repair. They informed me that the dGPU is likely on the verge of failure, which explains this "behavior." Their only solution was to replace the motherboard, based on a diagnosis that only involved software checks: reinstalling the OS, updating the BIOS/VBIOS and drivers to the latest versions, and running a benchmark with the free version of "Unigine Heaven."

Unfortunately, the laptop's warranty has expired, so I can't use the RMA option anymore.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
Replace the motherboard or have the motherboard repaired.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Power circuit for the dGPU is faulty and reporting high power usage, which in turn causes the core to down clock in an attempt to save power.
As mentioned, repair or replace the motherboard is the only option.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I agree, this seems to be a power shunt failure. Unless you have access to technicians who have the know-how to analyze a laptop board and figure out which component (likely a resistor) that blew open, replacing the mainboard is probably your best option at this point in time. Fortunately, it tends to not be as expensive as the whole computer as most that are available have been pulled from systems that suffered other types of damage and ended sacrificed (like broken panel or something), you may be able to keep the repair cost down somewhat if you look for the same board type on your marketplace of choice

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
If it was a desktop GPU, I'd say re-flash factory vBIOS before scrapping/repairing the card.
In your pos., I'd feel obliged to attempt a nuclear hail Mary Windows reformat+reinstall w/ fresh up-to-date drivers before 'calling it quits'

edit: sounds like Asus did/had you do all of that, already. Assuming they did actually do those steps: Not bad diagnostics or advice, given Asus' recent reputation (esp. for an out-of-warranty laptop)

Otherwise, I agree w/ the other replies: board-level repair/replacement needed.

Unfortunately, it looks like replacement mobo would be over $500. :eek:
Though, you're not likely equivalently replacing the whole laptop for less than double that.

I'm not aware of anywhere 'trusted' to do board-level repair, either.
I do know of 1 or 2 YouTube personalities that maybe I'd try contacting about it 'for the lulz'. -but, YouTube's a top3worst source for 'trusted' anything. :laugh:

Edit 2: If repair/replacement is not possible, you can config the BIOS/UEFI to disable the dGPU.
Vega8 on the 5900HX isn't good, but at least it's not Intel HD graphics.

Last edited:

dnicoara3

I agree, this seems to be a power shunt failure. Unless you have access to technicians who have the know-how to analyze a laptop board and figure out which component (likely a resistor) that blew open, replacing the mainboard is probably your best option at this point in time. Fortunately, it tends to not be as expensive as the whole computer as most that are available have been pulled from systems that suffered other types of damage and ended sacrificed (like broken panel or something), you may be able to keep the repair cost down somewhat if you look for the same board type on your marketplace of choice
I reached out to some technicians, and it seems the issue is likely due to one of two things since it's not software-related: either the MOSFET, the power supply, or both. I'll be taking it to the shop on Monday and will keep you updated.

dnicoara3

If it was a desktop GPU, I'd say re-flash factory vBIOS before scrapping/repairing the card.
In your pos., I'd feel obliged to attempt a nuclear hail Mary Windows reformat+reinstall w/ fresh up-to-date drivers before 'calling it quits'

edit: sounds like Asus did/had you do all of that, already. Assuming they did actually do those steps: Not bad diagnostics or advice, given Asus' recent reputation (esp. for an out-of-warranty laptop)

Otherwise, I agree w/ the other replies: board-level repair/replacement needed.

Unfortunately, it looks like replacement mobo would be over $500. :eek:
Though, you're not likely equivalently replacing the whole laptop for less than double that.

I'm not aware of anywhere 'trusted' to do board-level repair, either.
I do know of 1 or 2 YouTube personalities that maybe I'd try contacting about it 'for the lulz'. -but, YouTube's a top3worst source for 'trusted' anything. :laugh:

Edit 2: If repair/replacement is not possible, you can config the BIOS/UEFI to disable the dGPU.
Vega8 on the 5900HX isn't good, but at least it's not Intel HD graphics.
A new certified ASUS motherboard for this laptop would cost me about three-quarters of its value, which isn’t worth it. Most sellers only offer a 90 to 180-day warranty anyway. So, I’ve decided to go with repairing the motherboard instead. While it’s not a guaranteed fix, it’s worth a try.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I reached out to some technicians, and it seems the issue is likely due to one of two things since it's not software-related: either the MOSFET, the power supply, or both. I'll be taking it to the shop on Monday and will keep you updated.
Hope you'll get it fixed soon! The only time I get such problem is when I loaded the VBIOS with the wrong ones, yes I mean the laptop GPU VBIOS, I'm trying to flash with the higher TDP ones. Gives absurd power draw rating even at idle making it run at idle clock. I don't think it such to be the case for you.

dnicoara3

Hope you'll get it fixed soon! The only time I get such problem is when I loaded the VBIOS with the wrong ones, yes I mean the laptop GPU VBIOS, I'm trying to flash with the higher TDP ones. Gives absurd power draw rating even at idle making it run at idle clock. I don't think it such to be the case for you.
Thanks a lot, buddy! Unfortunately, that’s not the case:). Hopefully, I can get it fixed with little to no hassle.