• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

We found the Missing Performance: Zen 5 Tested with SMT Disabled

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Thanks @W1zzard the amount of work you put into this is amazing.

Hats off to you!

Awesome content as always.

Disabling SMT to increase performance in the gaming community has been around for a long time and something I've personally done for years, however it never was this big of a gap. Disabling SMT will almost always reduce microstuttering/stuttering at the loss of a bit of average FPS. The most important distinction here however is W11. The thread scheduler in W11 was the biggest change from W10 and while Intel said you had to swap to W11 to utilize their CPUs properly, they work under W10 too.

While In a lot of cases loading up the 'best' cores the most helps for overall throughput, it's not a best case scenario for latency sensitive applications. Games are very much latency sensitive as well as throughput sensitive.

Taking this further, you'll actually find that having CPPC on also reduces performance. While it might help with one specific application that is utilizing one core, windows will over load the 'best' cores further exasperating this situation. While you can't turn CPPC off anymore in modern Ryzens specifically, you can by disabling other power management options which has pros/cons to it. CPPC is under a power management feature called PSS Support (which is a few features, but CPPC is what we want).

After disabling CPPC you'll see thread loading to be more uniform across all cores. This is important for multithreaded and even single threaded applications. So a bunch of extra threads aren't being thrown on a CPU that might be all of 5% faster, while other cores have plenty of headroom available.

CPPC/SMT/W11 thread scheduler are all things at work here and need to be tweaked.

Also going to point out using Process Lasso or other applications to 'band aid' a game to every other core is NOT the same thing as natively disabling SMT. Windows will still try to utilize the other half of the virtual core creating thread contention. There are a lot of windows processes that can't be touched, if people using lasso even bother with everything that can outside of the game.

I use a 5800X3D and I have SMT disabled, because Elden Ring has stutter and disabeling it reduces those by a lot.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
These processors are clearly still a work in process.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I didn't know those *X3D CPUs are so good for gaming. Where is the 9800X3D?

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Disabling SMT to increase performance in the gaming community has been around for a long time and something I've personally done for years, however it never was this big of a gap. Disabling SMT will almost always reduce microstuttering/stuttering at the loss of a bit of average FPS. The most important distinction here however is W11. The thread scheduler in W11 was the biggest change from W10 and while Intel said you had to swap to W11 to utilize their CPUs properly, they work under W10 too.

While In a lot of cases loading up the 'best' cores the most helps for overall throughput, it's not a best case scenario for latency sensitive applications. Games are very much latency sensitive as well as throughput sensitive.

Taking this further, you'll actually find that having CPPC on also reduces performance. While it might help with one specific application that is utilizing one core, windows will over load the 'best' cores further exasperating this situation. While you can't turn CPPC off anymore in modern Ryzens specifically, you can by disabling other power management options which has pros/cons to it. CPPC is under a power management feature called PSS Support (which is a few features, but CPPC is what we want).

After disabling CPPC you'll see thread loading to be more uniform across all cores. This is important for multithreaded and even single threaded applications. So a bunch of extra threads aren't being thrown on a CPU that might be all of 5% faster, while other cores have plenty of headroom available.

CPPC/SMT/W11 thread scheduler are all things at work here and need to be tweaked.

Also going to point out using Process Lasso or other applications to 'band aid' a game to every other core is NOT the same thing as natively disabling SMT. Windows will still try to utilize the other half of the virtual core creating thread contention. There are a lot of windows processes that can't be touched, if people using lasso even bother with everything that can outside of the game.

Actually the problem here is that if you are inclined to disable SMT on a 9700X to get it up to 14700K levels of gaming performance and thus cripple its anemic productivity performance even more, then you didn't care about productivity performance in the first place and prize gaming performance above all.

And that just means you should have bought a 7800X3D or 7950X3D in the first place. They are crippled in productivity as well, but nothing matches them for gaming.

None of this helps the case for the 9700X/9600X. They just don't have a place in the market IMO.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
I've never let windows schedule my cpus it's dumb as shite....

Been using process lasso for a while
On my 7950X3D these are my profiles

1 with cache only CCD for games
2 without smt on the cache ccd for games
3 for background process on the secondary ccd
4 for things that benefit from all core workloads.

Once setup it takes all of 1m to set a profile to a particular program.

Should anyone have to do that no but if you want the most out of your hardware it's just the reality.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I've never let windows schedule my cpus it's dumb as shite....

Been using process lasso for a while
On my 7950X3D these are my profiles

1 with cache only CCD for games
2 without smt on the cache ccd for games
3 for background process on the secondary ccd
4 for things that benefit from all core workloads.

Once setup it takes all of 1m to set a profile to a particular program.

Should anyone have to do that no but if you want the most out of your hardware it's just the reality.
You shouldn't, but let's face it, now that we're in the heterogeneous CPU world, more effort probably needs to go into this part of the tweaking process. The way CPUs boost now and essentially overclock themselves, what you're doing sounds like more the thing enthusiasts should be considering to get the best performance. Maybe someday, devs will work this "preferred CPU setup" into their products, but there's a lot of CPU variation to plan for, and it's probably not worth the trouble for the small gains most will get out it.

System Name Crapostrophic
Processor AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard ASUS Custom PCB
Cooling Stock Asus Fan and Cooler Design
Memory 16GB of LPDDR5 running 6400mhz with tweaked timings
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 780M APU
Storage 2TB Aorus 7300 Gen 4
Display(s) 7 Inch IPS Display @120hz
Case Plastic Shell Case designed by Asus
Audio Device(s) Asus ROG Delta
Power Supply 40WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion with a 65W PD Charger
Mouse Asus ROG Keris Wireless
Keyboard AKKO 3098B hotswapped to speed silver pro switches
Software Windows 11 Home (Debloated and tweaked)
AMD needs the chipset driver magic once again for scheduling games properly..lol..