• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird throttling/shutdown after format.

System Name Windows 11 Pro
Processor i7 11800H
Video Card(s) 3060 Mobile
Storage 1 TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Odissey G3 144hz 27"
last month I undervolted an 11800H, and things went "well" mostly, but not perfect.
3 days ago I format the laptop and applied the same TS settings I had, despite this the cpu starts to throttle when before the format it would not, leading the pc to just shut down itself without warnings.

i7 11800H
3060 Mobile
16GB DDR4
1TB NVMe

screenshots show yellow PL1 and PL2 but when the laptop turns off, every warning there is red.
before format these random shutdown never happened.
the -70 mV undervolt in both CPU Core and CPU Cache were advised on a youtube video for the same cpu model, I havent really done proper testing about this, just saying.

Hyper V off
Core Isolation off
idle temp ~46/55°

Attachments

• ThrottleStop_qUAXzXbfxb.png
    ThrottleStop_qUAXzXbfxb.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ThrottleStop_37byBddfx5.png
    ThrottleStop_37byBddfx5.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ThrottleStop_qpT475gGgB.png
    ThrottleStop_qpT475gGgB.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ThrottleStop_AVlAhwCL2W.png
    ThrottleStop_AVlAhwCL2W.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 32
  • HWiNFO64_K1TPNttHTe.png
    HWiNFO64_K1TPNttHTe.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2024-08-14.txt
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
the -70 mV undervolt in both CPU Core and CPU Cache
The FIVR monitoring table shows that the CPU Cache undervolt is not being applied. Exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shut down your computer. When your computer starts back up, try setting a core and a cache offset undervolt. Both values should show up in the FIVR monitoring table as soon as you press the Apply button.

The PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are set way too low for an 11800H. That can cause power limit throttling. Instead of using low power limits, try fixing the cooling problem.

System Name Windows 11 Pro
Processor i7 11800H
Video Card(s) 3060 Mobile
Storage 1 TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Odissey G3 144hz 27"
The FIVR monitoring table shows that the CPU Cache undervolt is not being applied. Exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shut down your computer. When your computer starts back up, try setting a core and a cache offset undervolt. Both values should show up in the FIVR monitoring table as soon as you press the Apply button.
good morning and thank you for the tip. I did as you instructed and now TS shows the correct undervolt applied. I'm not really sure why this setting couldn't save over reboots.
also, TS now shows "new" miscellaneous FIVR settings checked, not sure why they were turned off in previous sessions as I didn't touch them.
-Thermal Velocity Boost
-Ring Down Bin
-V-Max Stress
The PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are set way too low for an 11800H. That can cause power limit throttling. Instead of using low power limits, try fixing the cooling problem.
they are set by default to 90 115 and i'm not sure why since the max cpu output is 45 W
now they're set to 80 105 but planning to lower them more since they can affect how hot the cpu will run too, right?
I have a cooling pad which just raises the laptop as its fan is very weak so I don't even bother running it.
also, in previous tests I lowered Turbo Ratio Limits from default 46 to 32, isnt it also helping the cpu to not run fast af when not needed?

thanks

good morning and thank you for the tip. I did as you instructed and now TS shows the correct undervolt applied. I'm not really sure why this setting couldn't save over reboots.
also, TS now shows "new" miscellaneous FIVR settings checked, not sure why they were turned off in previous sessions as I didn't touch them.
-Thermal Velocity Boost
-Ring Down Bin
-V-Max Stress

they are set by default to 90 115 and i'm not sure why since the max cpu output is 45 W
now they're set to 80 105 but planning to lower them more since they can affect how hot the cpu will run too, right?
I have a cooling pad which just raises the laptop as its fan is very weak so I don't even bother running it.
also, in previous tests I lowered Turbo Ratio Limits from default 46 to 32, isnt it also helping the cpu to not run fast af when not needed?

thanks
new settings, still throttle/shutdown.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop_qgGo1XJblY.png
    ThrottleStop_qgGo1XJblY.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ThrottleStop_1srkcTaRPa.png
    ThrottleStop_1srkcTaRPa.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2024-08-14.txt
    466.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
not sure why they were turned off in previous sessions
When you run ThrottleStop with core isolation memory integrity enabled, it will not be able to correctly read or write information to the voltage register. This can cause the ThrottleStop.INI file to become corrupted. That is why it is necessary to delete the ThrottleStop.INI file, reboot and start again if the offset voltages are not showing up in the FIVR monitoring table.

It looks like everything is working correctly now.

the max cpu output is 45 W
The 45W TDP rating is when the CPU is being run at its base frequency. When Intel Turbo Boost is enabled, it is not unusual for an 11800H to need much more than 45W so it can run at full speed. If cooling is inadequate, it will be impossible to get maximum performance out of an 11800H.

I have a cooling pad
A lot of cooling pads do not accomplish very much. Maybe a degree or two better temperatures but that is about it.

I lowered Turbo Ratio Limits from default 46 to 32, isnt it also helping the cpu
When you lower the CPU speed, sometimes you will also need to decrease your offset undervolt settings. If your computer is randomly crashing, try using no undervolt. Maybe your computer will only be 100% stable at -25 mV or -50 mV.