• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal Pad Replacement For GTX1xxx

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Tried numerous searches on the internet that lead nowhere. Either sellers don't list kits or information for cards this old or 100 different answers lied behind a link. Curious how to go about measuring thickness or if someone here can share the correct information for my Strix 1060.

Pulled my GPU apart for cleaning a few too many times. Was hoping the small tear I saw wouldn't pose much of a problem. 60F room with 110cfm fan full blast right into the card is doing little to improve temps that now keep climbing.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
best guess is to estimate the thickness of the old thermalpads and go with that. probably wont be much thicker than 2mm

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Thank you for the responses.

You could always spend the $20 and grab one of these:

I have a micrometer but .05 is a pretty small margin of error for something that is fixed to a board and probably flatter than it started even if I did get a representative piece free. Chance of there being two or more thickness used was also a concern.

Sounds like without manufacturer or other reputable information I'm probably going to have to roughly estimate and spot check if contact is being made.
What is a recognizable sign of a pad that is too thick? Other than going together a bit too tight.

Thank you for the responses.

I have a micrometer but .05 is a pretty small margin of error for something that is fixed to a board and probably flatter than it started even if I did get a representative piece free. Chance of there being two or more thickness used was also a concern.

Sounds like without manufacturer or other reputable information I'm probably going to have to roughly estimate and spot check if contact is being made.
What is a recognizable sign of a pad that is too thick? Other than going together a bit too tight.
I just checked, and in my case, I needed to use two different thickness (1.0 and 1.5 - the .5 and 2.0 sheets are still uncut).

From memory, when comparing by putting sided by side (old vs new) it was very apparent on which to choose. Even next to each other new, they're easy to tell apart.

I checked for even contact when reassembling, and then for any temperatures that seemed off afterwards. All turned out well for me, and dropped 15C from actual GPU temp under load.

I used SYY157 for thermal paste.